Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I strongly believe in allowing people convicted of a crime to run for office, vote, etc. What possible benefit would there be to permanently removing someone's rights permanently?
I rarely believe in removing someone's rights permanently but we still have life in prison which is a permanent removal of freedom, not to mention capital punishment (which I'm against). Again, not a fan but life in prison does seem to be necessary for some individuals. Sex offenders have rights removed or diminished... It's not unique.

I'm not saying every felon should have their right to hold public office removed but what if they are a repeat child molester? Or a murderer? Or they've been involved in massive racketeering and bribery and fraud convictions over decades but now they've served their time. I don't know where the line is exactly but it should be there.

I said this
Certainly there might be very narrow exceptions

At any rate, I think a felony is not reason enough to remove someone's right to run for office or vote.
I never used the word vote anywhere in my first post on this so not sure why this was lumped into the removal. I think holding public office carries more weight than a single vote. You represent the people. Being a felon should bring, at the very least, a planet of scrutiny upon someone with the responsibility of running the country.
Especially in a country where we choose to apply these systems against marginalized groups and people with no power.
Agree with this in general. Rights get taken away too often. Like abortion. Just think there needs to be a line somewhere for the highest public office in the land.

Last edited:

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Should we have executed him when he was 14? Or just wait until he had been in prison for 28 years and then do it? How do you feel about him being free in general? Do you think it serves our society to keep him in prison forever? Do you feel that he is particularly dangerous as a politician or voter? Are you worried he wants to make murdering a child legal?
He paid his debt to society. I hope he finds a decent job and has good friends and lives out his life.

Im not sure at 13 he should have been sentenced to 28 years in jail. Perhaps mental health treatment would have been more appropriate.

Yet without a bunch more research on his condition than I’m likely to get, since health care should be private, I’m not sure I want him as a kindergarten teacher, or a president...

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I never used the word vote anywhere in my first post on this so not sure why this was lumped into the removal. I
Jusy to clarify, public service and voting rights are very tightly related in our system and the constitution. Specifically the 14th amendment speaks to both by design. So that's why I include them. The franchise tends to include both parts of participating in our political system.

Grass Yes,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Jusy to clarify, public service and voting rights are very tightly related in our system and the constitution. Specifically the 14th amendment speaks to both by design. So that's why I include them. The franchise tends to include both parts of participating in our political system.
Ok, I see. I do remember reading a NYT article that mentioned that certain states already have laws preventing felons from holding state and local offices so it seems like it's already being asymmetrically done at the state level (can vote but can't hold office).

TigoleBitties,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Ok, I see. I do remember reading a NYT article that mentioned that certain states already have laws preventing felons from holding state and local offices so it seems like it's already being asymmetrically done at the state level (can vote but can't hold office).
Many states disenfranchise people convicted of a felony. That's why I mentioned Richardson v. Ramirez above. That's the ruling that lets states skirt the 14th amendment for anyone poor enough to get caught up in the system.

Last edited:

florduh

Interestingly, President of the United States is one of the rare jobs that require both the willingness and the ability to murder children.

Though this article was published 7 years ago, it's still quite relevant.

The U.S. assault on Yemeni civilians not only continued but radically escalated over the next five years through the end of the Obama presidency, as the U.S. and the U.K. armed, supported, and provide crucial assistance to their close ally Saudi Arabia as it devastated Yemen through a criminally reckless bombing campaign. Yemen now faces mass starvation, seemingly exacerbated, deliberately, by the U.S.-U.K.-supported air attacks. Because of the West’s direct responsibility for these atrocities, they have received vanishingly little attention in the responsible countries.

florduh,

Radwin Bodnic

20 or 30% does not win an election.

In the 2016 election for POTUS, 55,7% of the people with the right to vote actually did it.
62% of them voted for Hillary. That's 36% of the people able to vote.
32% voted for Donald. That's less than 20% of all voters.

I know there's the Electoral College but I definitely think that our democracies can make 20% of voters decide who will direct the country.

Bonus : only 72% of the American population have the right to vote. So those 20% of voters are actually less than 15% of all the Americans...

GreenDragon

Interestingly, President of the United States is one of the rare jobs that require both the willingness and the ability to murder children.
On Jan 29, 2017, trump ordered a strike in Yemen that killed 10 women and children.
Just nine days after taking office on Jan 20, 2017, trump killed children.
trump said the strike was “highly successful”.
trump used a plan from the Obama administration that was rejected, deemed too likely to cause collateral damage.

On another vile note:
Contemplate this number. 30,573.
trump told 30,573 lies while in office.
Why do you think trump (his advisors) chose the voter base that they did?
If you are looking for a large group of gullible people who will believe any lie, literally any crazy tale, no matter how ridiculous……

GreenDragon,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Bologna,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

GEia7SybYAA4ui9

Oh gosh, I wonder if these two things are related, CNBC?

I'm getting really tired of pretending this shit is like the weather. Nothing to be done about it.

quote-card-graeber.png

florduh

I have nothing but contempt for pretty much every politician in the United States. But President Sinn Fein gives me hope.

He's right about everything. Powerful. Effective. And delivers for his constituents. I've literally never seen this in my nearly 40 years as an American.

And the UAW's "Stand Up" branding is delightful. In their battle with the Big Three, they employed "stand up strikes", strategically increasing pressure on the auto companies, instead of every shop striking at once.

His video announcements where he'd say shit like "We are now calling on our brothers and sisters at Stellaris Cleveland to STAND.... UP....." gave me chills.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have nothing but contempt for pretty much every politician in the United States. But President Sinn Fein gives me hope.

He's right about everything. Powerful. Effective. And delivers for his constituents. I've literally never seen this in my nearly 40 years as an American.

And the UAW's "Stand Up" branding is delightful. In their battle with the Big Three, they employed "stand up strikes", strategically increasing pressure on the auto companies, instead of every shop striking at once.

His video announcements where he'd say shit like "We are now calling on our brothers and sisters at Stellaris Cleveland to STAND.... UP....." gave me chills.
UAW President Shawn Fain: 'Donald Trump Is A Scab!'

And this just in from the main mouse

Last edited:

florduh

UAW President Shawn Fain: 'Donald Trump Is A Scab!'

That's because Shawn Fein understands that Trump is a billionaire only interested in serving the interests of billionaires. Trump and other billionaires are the enemy of the working class.

This is also an example of Midwestern Excellence. Because here is Teamsters President Sean O'Brien, born in the Northeast.

trumpobrien.webp

Here's Shawn Fein, born in the Midwest.

im-882102

Now, O'brien isn't all bad. He got a great contract for UPS drivers. There was also this gem:

florduh

Thanks Obama

The O'Bungler has some responsibility for allowing Mitch McConnell to steal a Supreme Court appointment from him. But Ruth Bader Ginsburg also refused to retire during his term. Because she didn't want a black man appointing her replacement. She wanted it to be Hillary. Ooops!

But at this point we have Republican Governors in open revolt against their own Right Wing Supreme Court. There is no reason for the Biden Administration to follow the Dobbs ruling.

Offer abortions on Federal Land in Red States. Tell Planned Parenthood they can ignore the Dobbs ruling. Send armed Federal Agents into the Confederacy to protect women's rights to obtain healthcare.

In one of those Shawn Fein speeches, he mentioned the need to "pay for the sins of our past". Well, Democrats had 50 years to enshrine a woman's right to choose into Federal Law. Time to pay up.

florduh

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt and Newsmax host Carl Higbie mused Thursday about a potential “force-on-force” conflict between Texas and the Biden Administration after the Supreme Court ruled against the state’s Republican governor by declaring that federal agents can remove razor wire laid along the border with Mexico.

Why the fuck is Oklahoma joining the New Confederacy? The only reason they have that dumb panhandle is Texas giving up their land above the Missouri Compromise line. So they could be a Slave State.

Can the Mods please delete every post where I said something bad about the President? I'm looking to get a job as a collaborator in the new Reconstruction Government after the Biden Regime occupies The Free State of Floriduh.

Top Bottom