Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

florduh

As someone who passed through right libertarianism on my journey, I would point out not all of them are feudalists. Especially in principle; there’s a fairly stark divide between the idealists and the pragmatists in libertarianism generally (see Charles Johnson’s ‘Libertarianism, through thick and thin.’)

Even the most right leaning of libertarian scholars Murray Rothbard famously opined of the lunacy at declaring titled property valid. For if that is our argument surely the Lords would simply declare their land titled and at once not be not only “just” in their property, but perversely to do so in a way that honors the ‘libertarian’ complaint.

In college, I attended a talk by a Libertarian professor and author. During Q and A I asked "so when do you reckon 'private property rights' began? Can you put a date on it?" And he bumbled around with some answer about how in North America, property rights began some time after Europeans "conquered" the continent.

That's when I began to realize this philosophy is kind of arbitrary nonsense. Also describing what happened with Native Americans as "conquering", like it was some sort of epic Lord of The Rings battle between two armies to decide who owns the continent, is ridiculous. Europeans engaged in centuries of mendacity, scamming, making treaties just to almost immediately break them etc.

I call Right Wing Libertarians kneelers because they have no coherent critique of corporate power. They have no critique of oligarchy either. Yes, our governments are corrupt. But they're corrupt because they're totally bought by the wealthy and their corporations.

FB_IMG_1532621840222.jpg

In a Libertarian Fantasy World where the government is small enough to drown in a bathtub, the wealthy and corporations would still use their capital to lord power over the rest of us. To maintain the hierarchy and their place in it. There would still be a court system to maintain the sanctity of contracts. It would just be "The Justice Department, Presented by Amazon".

But at the end of the day, Libertarians have no problem with the Rich having more power than the rest of us. The Just and Infallible Free Market has determined they are fit to rule. I firmly believe if Milton Friedman was alive 1500 years ago, he'd be droning on about The Divine Right of Kings, instead of "The Free Market is Magic". Maintaining unnatural hierarchies is the point of both concepts.

At least Feudal peasants kneeled because the Creator of the Universe said their Lord deserved to rule. Modern kneelers pledge themselves to whatever rich kid becomes the biggest scam artist.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Completely understand where you are coming from, but as usual the vocal minority has convinced people it’s the majority. What you are describing is one very recent, and very vocal minority of a much broader and more storied tradition. And, importantly for me, it was the perfect vehicle to unshackle myself from the statist system I had been blindly supporting. But for me it was just that, a gateway and a quick stop on what is a lifelong journey. But I think it can serve a purpose as a transitional house for those on the right who are hungry to learn more, you can’t jump them straight to what they understand as “left” ideas, they need a transitional base that they can support while not completely eroding the philosophical ground under their feet.

If I had to tag myself with one “group” of thinkers today, it would be the libertarian left:

The Alliance of the Libertarian Left is a multi-tendency coalition of mutualists, agorists, voluntaryists,
geolibertarians, left-Rothbardians, green libertarians, dialectical anarchists, radical minarchists,
and others on the libertarian left, united by an opposition to statism and militarism, to cultural
intolerance (including sexism, racism, and homophobia), and to the prevailing corporatist capitalism
falsely called a free market; as well as by an emphasis on education, direct action, and building
alternative institutions, rather than on electoral politics, as our chief strategy for achieving liberation.

ETA:
96f.jpg

florduh

Completely understand where you are coming from, but as usual the vocal minority has convinced people it’s the majority. What you are describing is one very recent, and very vocal minority of a much broader and more storied tradition. And, importantly for me, it was the perfect vehicle to unshackle myself from the statist system I had been blindly supporting. But for me it was just that, a gateway and a quick stop on what is a lifelong journey. But I think it can serve a purpose as a transitional house for those on the right who are hungry to learn more, you can’t jump them straight to what they understand as “left” ideas, they need a transitional base that they can support while not completely eroding the philosophical ground under their feet.

If I had to tag myself with one “group” of thinkers today, it would be the libertarian left:

ETA:
96f.jpg

Oh I'm sorry I should be clear. I'm only talking about Right Libertarians. None of what I said applies to Left Libertarians!

I'd probably consider myself a Left Libertarian as well. Though, to be honest, I haven't gotten too deep into political philosophy.

Just two years ago, I watched Senator Bernard Sanders run for President on a platform of "why don't we give American citizens some of the benefits and services other modern countries give their citizens". And the entire Machine of this country...every corner of Power moved to slime him as a dangerous radical leftist.

So it's hard for me to focus on actual radical political philosophy given what the horizons seem to be right now. Which is a shame because I believe this country and world are in dire need of radical change.

florduh

Yeah, the world's biggest business genius decided to alienate Tesla's target market: wealthy Libs. He could've avoided this by just shutting the fuck up. I don't even know who the CEO of Toyota is. That's how it should be.

Once again, working people will pay the price for the idiocy of the Executive and Shareholder Class.

It turns out Musk concocted a bullshit story about a stalker using the Twitter account that tracks his private jet to attack him and his family. Musk used that complete lie to ban a slew of journalists who have been critical of him over the years.

Fkc-7I0aAAAdCM_

Not only that, but it looks like Elon's security goons assaulted a random dude.

In more decent times, someone caught in a ridiculous lie like this would simply disappear from public life.

Keep in mind, this guy made his ridiculously high offer to buy Twitter so he can SAVE FREE SPEECH. Then he made up a Jussie Smollett story to give him an excuse to ban journalists he didn't like.

Timps27

The Western world is not the Taliban’s Afghanistan, but have we really come as far as we think? Choosing to highlight the lack of diversity in Motorsport is a beautiful choice to make; opting to use a fashion girl whose only connections to racing is that her father is an F1 legend, she has a child with a former F1 driver, and is currently dating the WDC, rather than any of the many talented and hard working young women actually racing (or even controversial groundbreakers like Danica) is not.

Planck

believes in Dog
He could've avoided this by just shutting the fuck up.
But he can't, he's an attention whore, reminds me of a off leash 4 year-old in many ways. It's all good though, the more he exposes himself in public the more people will realise what and empty pathetic lying narcissistic sack of shit he is.

What pisses me off is the MSM giving him any oxygen in the first place! It's not difficult to determine his "big humanity saving ideas" as dumb shit that he stole. All of it considered and abandoned, often decades ago, by people far smarter than this dickweed.

Tesla was and is so overvalued it can't help but crash.
What a crazy world.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Tortured artist and fucking weirdo van Gogh only sold one painting in his lifetime. In the end, shot himself.

""The Starry Night," perhaps van Gogh's most famous and most critically acclaimed work, was painted in June 1889 while van Gogh was in an asylum in St. Remy, France."

And there was this part...

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

florduh

Southwest paid its executives $112 million and announced a $400 million dividend to shareholders while refusing to upgrade their computer systems leading to thousands of people being stranded over the holidays.

Between 2020 and 2021 the US Government printed $3.2 Billion specifically for Southwest Airlines.

Four months before Southwest’s mass cancellation of flights, 38 state attorneys general wrote to congressional leaders declaring that Buttigieg’s agency “failed to respond and to provide appropriate recourse” to thousands of consumer complaints about airlines customer service.

One week after the letter from state attorneys general, Buttigieg said on The Late Late Show With James Corden that airline travel “is going to get better by the holidays.” He added that “we're really pressing the airlines to deliver better service.”

Former McKinsey Consultant and CIA Spook "Mayor Pete" is supposed to be the chief regulator of the airline industry. He refuses to do his fucking job. Not a single fine has been levied against airlines for their obvious corporate malfeasance.

I'm sorry, but if guys like "Mayor Pete" are the future of America's only "Left Wing" (lol) political party, we are truly fucked. The future will just be regular Americans continually getting squeezed on every front by the corpo elite until the oceans boil over.

Timps27

This is not an inconsequential event, regardless of gov intervention. Just a straight refund of the ticket cost for the cancelled flights will top $1 Billion (and growing as the cancellations continue to poor in). I wouldn’t be surprised if the final cost to SWA approaches $3 Billion.

florduh

Just a straight refund of the ticket cost for the cancelled flights will top $1 Billion (and growing as the cancellations continue to poor in)

IF Southwest is forced to do so, in cash. I have a friend who was forced to spend Christmas alone in a strange city because the second leg of his trip was cancelled. SW just offered points/a free ticket. He had to spend $1200 of actual cash to get back home on other airlines.

Southwest needs to be forced to refund every customer in actual greenbacks. Not funny money. My friend does not want to get on a SW flight ever again, and I don't blame him.

Honestly, even if the cost is 3 billion... their little gamble still sort paid off. They got 3.2 billion in free money from the government. So they broke even on this. They bet they could get away without paying to fix their computer systems. That bet failed, but the US taxpayer still paid for their losses.

Corporations do this type of satanic arithmetic all the time. Right now airlines are lobbying to only have one pilot per aircraft. My guess is they've figured out that even if this leads to an extra crash or two over the next few decades, they'll still come out ahead financially after all the settlements are paid.

Planck

believes in Dog
I'm sorry, but if guys like "Mayor Pete" are the future of America's only "Left Wing" (lol) political party, we are truly fucked.
Probably lube up. I saw dis guy Pete waxing ecstatically about the epically stupid solar roadways idea. It was at that moment I knew who he was. :(

Planck,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Probably lube up. I saw dis guy Pete waxing ecstatically about the epically stupid solar roadways idea. It was at that moment I knew who he was. :(

You can take the boy out of McKinsey but you can't take the McKinsey out of the boy. Mayo Pete did produce one of my favorite moments of the 2020 Presidential campaign though.

Man, the look on his face, lol. He wanted to send that NYT guy to a CIA blacksite.

Last edited:

Timps27

“You’re talking about a modern-day Thomas Edison who’s going through a Howard Hughes moment.”

Ironically, I believe this statement was intended as some form of flattery. I find it a fairly apt comparison to a patent whore who stole any idea he could get his hands on.

Planck

believes in Dog
There's nothing wrong with the cars, it's the cup holders. Elon's confident they will implement the "cool and awesome" AI designed cup holders from the semi early 2nd quarter 2023. Maybe some thermonuclear explosion proof glass too depending on what the tweet poll decides. It's going to epic. :rofl:

tesla-fire.jpg

florduh

Saint Reagan legalizing stock buybacks was a major fuck up.

"Southwest Airlines made a risky gamble that mass layoffs and spending billions of dollars on handouts to investors rather than fixing infrastructure would pay off with record profits," Kyle Herrig, the president of Accountable.US, said in a statement. "The airline lost that bet badly and now it's their customers left paying the price including the thousands stranded in the middle of holiday season travel."

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

florduh

Nice to see some data backing up a phenomenon I've long suspected is playing out.

Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics

FlNdRgfXkAAlQYh

Well, well, fucking well Neoliberals/Right Wingers. If it isn't the inevitable result of your shitty policies.

That old bullshit line about how everyone turns into a Conservative as they age only works if young people eventually become part of the status quo and want to preserve (or conserve) it.

Right Wing policies pushed by both parties over the past 40 years have lead to a world where millennials can't afford home ownership or higher education. We have either unaffordable healthcare, or none at all. Pensions are a thing of the past. Employment opportunities become worse every year. Most young people believe the future is bleak. Why the fuck would we want to ***conserve*** literally any of this?

Timps27

On Friday morning, Musk posted a cryptic meme on Twitter: "What if I told you the only way to escape the Matrix is to unlearn everything that you have been taught and rebuild your entire belief system based on critical thought and analysis."

This guy is barely 1° of separation from a FLERF, and he’s in charge of two multinationals with tens of Billions in valuation. Humanity has learned nothing in 10,000 years, at least insofar as which humans can be trusted.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

On Friday morning, Musk posted a cryptic meme on Twitter: "What if I told you the only way to escape the Matrix is to unlearn everything that you have been taught and rebuild your entire belief system based on critical thought and analysis."
I assumed that was a reference to the misogynist/rapist that just got arrested for human trafficking.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: florduh
Top Bottom