Indoor Extractions?

So I'm going to be doing a QWISO extraction using the aeropress method explained by evry1concentrate in this thread http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/oils-concentrates-please-help-me-out.6530/. Problem is i live in an apartment. I understand the process and I know the dangers along with it. I know it's advised to do the entire process outdoors but the extraction can b done inside if conditions are closely monitored. The thing is I have no access to outdoors. I do have sufficient ventilation in my apartment. I know it's recommended that the evaporation be done outside unless you have some heavy duty ventilation (strong stove exhaust, fume hood etc.). I know usually the evaporation is catalyzed by a hot plate, fan, double boiler and is done in a Pyrex baking dish. What I am thinking is that I'll do the extraction into multiple Ball canning jars. This way I minimize the amount of alcohol in one area and minimize the surface area of the alcohol which is in contact with the air reducing the risks of evaporating indoors. I understand that they will evaporate slower this way but by only putting a small amount of alcohol on each jar the time difference shouldnt be much The jars would be next to an open window with a constant fan as well. I just wanted to know what everyone thought and if anyone has any tips/suggestions, obviously besides just not doing it.

AllKidsCrank,

JSteez4205

aka Gordon NugzB
I did a qwiso extraction of some abv recently in my apartment. Wasn't Super ventilated, but wasn't completely enclosed either. I used a couple fans, not a whole lot of ISO is needed if using 90-99%...therefore there shouldn't be an excess of fumes when evaporation occurs. At least i didn't experience an excess. I clean my glass pieces indoors with ISO all the time with no ventilation or thoughts of needing any ever, so i kind of figured this process indoors would also be O.K. It Was my first extraction ever though, so this is just my 2cents. I can say that the oil came out nice and packed a good body buzz. I let it evaporate for 24hrs with fan on it. I would suggest using a flat glass pan as opposed to glass jars, just for the ease of pulling the oil off after the ISO evaporates...hope this helps.

NewVape

What a guy!
Here's my 2cents. First off "safety third". If you can't do it outside make sure the area is well ventilated, i.e. open up the windows and run a fan. What you're avoiding is a build up of alcohol vapor that then if ignited... Boom. So if you have air moving through the area you should be fine. For the evaporization I use a 9x9 Pyrex baking dish which can be found practically everywhere. If it's not Pyrex brand just make sure it's made to go in the oven, you'll never use it at that temp but " safety third". Then I use a reptile heating pad like this and just set the dish on it. It canbe had at any pet store and it's thin and keeps at a very constant temp.

The one thing you DO NOT want to do indoors is a Butane extraction. Butane is much more volatile and frankly it scares me a little bit to work with it (I like my eyebrows where they are)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice guys. So i'll probably just use the pyrex pan. And I've heard about that with the pyrex. I think it's not the pans though only measuring cups

AllKidsCrank,

placetime

And I've heard about that with the pyrex. I think it's not the pans though only measuring cups
ummmm...i believe it is pans too. :o
(though i honestly have absolutely no idea if the thermal expansion in glass involved in indoor extractions is enough to cause any problems)

placetime,

SD_haze

Thanks for the advice guys. So i'll probably just use the pyrex pan. And I've heard about that with the pyrex. I think it's not the pans though only measuring cups
Unless its old pyrex pan, then its still the same tempered flint glass. One of the most common problems with the flint glass is people taking a hot pyrex pan out of the oven, putting it on the counter that happened to have a little water on it, and it shattered.
:\

bigtvapes

Forgive me for being naive here but I know virtually nothing about oils. What do you do with this oil once you get it made? Do you vape it?

bigtvapes,
You can do pretty much anything you want with it. I plan on vaping it and I believe that's what most others do too.

AllKidsCrank,

NewVape

What a guy!
The "oil" being a concentrated form of the THC and other cannabinoids it can be used pretty much as the flower itself. Most of the time an "oil rig" of some type is used. You can of course search YouTube to find videos of one in action. But essentially some type of surface is heated (usually titanium or glass) and the oil is placed on it which instantly vaporizes it and it is inhaled through a bubbler of some sort. Alternatively the oil can be used in a vaporizer in this case it is often added to some flower for a more potent mixture. The drawback to this is that the oil is very sticky and can gum up your vape more quickly. There are several good threads here that are a good follow up if you're interested.

NewVape,

Kommyknocker

I did a test run of 3.5 grams of abv. This stuff is a night time vape for sure as it knocks me out cold. Zzzzz :)

Kommyknocker,

OO

Technical Skeptical
you ever hear about meth labs blowing up? solvent extractions are the main reason.

don't risk yourself and those around you, if you can't do it in a safe OUTDOOR environment, then don't do it at all.

i've been doing chemistry in school for years now, and every now and then, someone doesn't connect a vacuum line to their setup, and there's a large fireball. that's in a fume hood, imagine what will happen in your apartment.

OO,
Reactions: darkrom
Top Bottom