Im not so sure Vaping gets you as high as smoking. Not a slam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceshark

Ice Man
I am a med card holder here in WA. I was a hard core stoner back in the late seventys early eighties. I used to be baked after a bowl of gold:/

Well after not smoking in 24 year, i for med reasons started up again. For better health I bought a Magic flight after much review here.

I had heard how strong strains were comared to my day. So excited I went to a few co-ops and bought a bunch of different strains in indica and sativa to try.

I have tried top shelf White Widow, Northern lights, NYC Diesel ect ect.

All by vape. Yes I am getting good vape hits. But even vaping a full trench, about 12 hits or so I have been comfortably numb, however not even as stoned as I got back in the day with weaker weed.

The best has been God bud, Og Kush, White widow and NYC Diesel. Yet none has had me coach locked or really stoned. I do not want to go back to smoking. Yet Imay try a bowl to see if its a vape thing?

I have read other posts here saying the same. I want to be STONED:)

Any ideas.?

Modnote: Here's the follow-up to this thread: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=3203 ;)

iceshark,

lwien

If you truly want to be heavily, narcotic like, couch-locked, stoned..........stoned, like you were when you used to smoke, than what you need to do is to inhale all those toxins that are in the combusted plant material that contributed to that narcotic, heavy body stoned feeling. You'll also get the full compliment of CBD/CBN's that can only be had through combustion.

Vaping is not for everyone, but for most, if they give it some time, they find that they actually prefer it to that heavy couch lock narcotic high that you get from smoking.

My suggestion is to stick with it for a few weeks and then light up a bowl to see if you really prefer smoking or not.

lwien,

No Smoking!

Perhaps the body builds up a tolerance like it does with so many other drugs. This would explain why you got much more stoned in the early days and not so much now. If this is indeed the case, you should be able to stop smoking for a while as your body cleans itself and the built-up tolerance out.

Just my :2c:

No Smoking!,

Cappella Sistina

Interesting.

I had quit smoking for almost 10 years, before fate brought me into the industry. Even while in the industry, I didnt smoke for a long time. While one of my clients carried vaporizers in his shop...I never got into it. Then I started working closely with a vape manufacturer, then distributor...I decided to give it a try. Rewind: I quit smoking because I began to hate that locked feeling, and it brought on anxiety for me. Fast forward>>> The feeling from Vaping I.M.O was MUCH better that combustion, the product tasted a hundred times better..and well I was able to partake, with out the anxiety.

Cappella Sistina,

iceshark

Ice Man
No Smoking! said:
Perhaps the body builds up a tolerance like it does with so many other drugs. This would explain why you got much more stoned in the early days and not so much now. If this is indeed the case, you should be able to stop smoking for a while as your body cleans itself and the built-up tolerance out.

Just my :2c:
Actually my doctor said that you do not build tolerance with THC. SHe said that is a falisy in the pot smoking world. She pointed out the medical evidence of no tolerance with THC. Way over my head.

Plus I had not smoked in years. So if there was a tolerance I sure dont have one.

I have a hard time grasping that the smoke produced chemicals to get me that stoned. If this was the case more people would be smoking regular cigs to get high.

I wonder if its the MF I am using. maybe a full size vape is better.?

iceshark,

iceshark

Ice Man
Cappella Sistina said:
Interesting.

I had quit smoking for almost 10 years, before fate brought me into the industry. Even while in the industry, I didnt smoke for a long time. While one of my clients carried vaporizers in his shop...I never got into it. Then I started working closely with a vape manufacturer, then distributor...I decided to give it a try. Rewind: I quit smoking because I began to hate that locked feeling, and it brought on anxiety for me. Fast forward>>> The feeling from Vaping I.M.O was MUCH better that combustion, the product tasted a hundred times better..and well I was able to partake, with out the anxiety.
This makes sense. I too notice the taste is better with vape and I do not get couch locked or anxiety like in the old days. However I also do not feel as stoned as I want too. Maybe I need to vape a bigger qty.

iceshark,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
Isn't the MFLB a fixed temperature vape ..... maybe he needs the cbd/cbn released by higher temperature vaping .......

audiodelic,

Raf007

Retailer
still have anxiety when vaping some times.
anxiety or hapiness also depend a lot of how u feel before vaping/smoking.
U don't,feel good, there is a big chance ur gonna get anxiety.
U feel good, u might feel even better.

I never tried the LB, but like said, try a vape w. higher temps.

Of course u will never feel the same effetc as w. combustion, because there is no combustion... doesn't it make sense ? :)
personally, as a heavy smoker who use too burn at least a half once a week, i don't miss that tobacco/combustion buzz that i feel get your head heavy and dizzy... wich in my sense is no high.

only advice, try more indicas and like the others said give it a little more try.

It's also possible that ur memory tricks you, or that because you were younger you lived things more vividely.
I know I personnaly don't live the high as I use to live when I was 16.

Raf007,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I can get the higher range stuff from my LB but only after the herb has been crumbled really fine and dried....generally after I've vaped a bit of the flavor puffs out - re-crumble and press into trench.

BUT.... If I break out my SSV (Silver Surfer) I can get massive bong style hits that rival smoking pretty well. The temp knob allows you to go to higher ranges too.

You might see if you can try a big hitter (like the SSV) and see if you get that couch lock you're seeking.

It did take a bit of time to adjust to vaping but I honestly don't miss smoking one iota and I smoked daily for more than 25 years!! Give yourself some time to adjust and see if you can try some other devices :)

Good luck!

Lo,

GanjaRunner

@iceshark, are you grinding up your bud fine? I experienced a similar thing with the LB. Thinkin, man, this thing sucks, waste of money, I'm going back to combusting, then these fine folks here taught me a thing or two about grinding FINE. My LB works GREAT now.

Trust me, it has NOTHING to do with your previous usage! Your doctor is wrong (or you are misunderstanding her), you most certainly can and DO build up a THC tolerance, but not from years ago! I mean, if you smoke and smoke and smoke, you'll build up a T. Take a few days off, you'll be fine. NBD. If you're not getting royally blitzed off of good herb in that MFLB, I can almost guarantee your problem is not grinding it fine enough. Yeah, vaping IS different than combusting. No doubt. But I get totally baked on both (and I was an old-time stoner like you, stopped for over a decade, got MMJ qualified, yada, yada, yada.) Trust me. The problem is the grind. Grind the herb up. If it's moist, icky-sticky, grind it good, hit it first, then dump it and grind it again. You WILL get baked if done properly. Surface area is very, very important with the MFLB.

GanjaRunner,

luchiano

I think the reason it's not hitting you right is because you may not have the technique down.

You want to first break up your herb into a fine consistency to make sure the bud stay hot and not wick away to keep it cool which the fibers do. Next you want to load the box with just enough to cover the screen, using more than that will give an uneven hit meaning the taste will be a mix of fresh vaped herb with burnt popcorn due to the herb touching the screen heating up quicker than the rest but this can be a good thing if you want to vape until the the herb is very dark because this will help get you the stone due to vaping some higher temp chemicals like beta-carophyllene which give a relaxed type feeling. Just make sure you keep mixing the bud around once the taste starts to go to keep everything flavorful.

Another thing that is very important is how to breathe the vapor in. You want to inhale so slow that it's like you're barely breathing and do this for 5-10 seconds. Then take a large breath through the nose and hold as long as you can and exhale through the nose. This technique will give such a concentrated hit that you won't see much vapor on the exhale so don't go by not seeing any vapor. Remember a lot of times the reason people see a lot of vapor when they exhale is because they take in a lot of air which dilutes the vapor and makes it look like a lot when it's not. Think of whipped cream, the more air that is introduced to it the bigger it gets but it's the same amount of cream. The same for vapor except if it is too big you have less going to the brain due to a lot being exhaled.

When finished don't throw the herb out because there is still a lot of beta-carophyllene left. Just eat some food preferably avocado with freshly squeezed lemon juice of nuts/seeds and when finished just ingest the vaped herb with some orange or grape juice. This will make sure that you get a better high than smoking because you will get most of your thc from vaping which will get you really high due to the concentration of vapor compared to smoking as well as give the relaxed feeling from eating the herb.

To grind your herb up real good you should get an electric grinder either a portable one or just use a coffee grinder but the bigger it is the less fine grind you will get if you are vaping just enough for a small session. Make sure you let the herb settle after grinding and brush the sides to make sure everything is out of the grinder and going to be vaped.

Here's a good grinder:
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Electric_Herb_Grinder.cfm?iProductID=552

luchiano,

Beezleb

It is true that vaping is not for everybody as it is not a direct translation into a healthier medium but I love it.

I would estimate roughly of the people I have introduced to vaping, not counting those who approach me but friends and acquaintances who are recreational users for the most part. Probably 40 percent switched to vaping somewhat regularly. I do not know any friend or acquaintance that has totally/largely stopped smoking.

I go into it explaining the differences and some people really liked it but I can comfortably say most go back to smoking. Expense, time to imbibe, preparation and the like are big factors combined with some people just do not feel they get as much.

Vaping is not for everybody and generally seems to matter somewhat from the perspective you are looking at it from.

Take those hints on the LB and if your read the LB thread you will likely find some information or insight that can assist you and I am sure if you have any specific LB questions/discussions they can better help you with that.

Hope you find your way!

Beezleb,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I'm with Lo on this one. IMO, if you are chasing the same high you get when combusting, the LB can be a little frustrating. I would recommend a different vape; something that has variable temp and gives big hits. The high will still be different than smoking, but more intense, quicker.

momofthegoons,

JagerPuck

David
Vaping is more potent than smoking. I know a dude who swears that blunts are the only thing that gets him high.. I feel like he is more stubborn than dependent on blunts. To each his own, Ill just be conserving and getting blitzed!

JagerPuck,

Durden

I am Jack's title
Im not sure what type of medical issues you vape for, but I know in my own case I'm looking for the almost involuntary muscle relaxation to calm down stress that can't be addressed in other ways (that I've found at least). I do not get much a benefit from smaller hit vapes, and need the larger and more dense hits that I get off a more powerful vape. The Extreme and VHW both work well (VXC on preorder and I have high hopes ;)) and the PD and MFLB have been good for maintaining the high from previous sessions, or for incremental relief while I'm away from my house. My basic theory is that when you smoke its more dense naturally and that volume changes the way it absorbs, and Ive found my relief when my vape setup can produce large and thick hits.

On the tolerance thing I'm not sure what you're doctor was talking about, from a basic understanding of psychology you can develop a tolerance to any substance just by doing it in the same circumstances or location over time. In addition, I've read that when heavy smokers have a saturation of certain thc compounds in their system over time that it changes the way your body reacts to new sessions because latent intermediate reactions have already primed your system.

Durden,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i think of vaping as mainlining THC ... but if THC isn't what you're after, then vaping is certainly not the right mechanism.

Hippie Dickie,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
OP said:
Im not so sure Vaping gets you as high as smoking. Not a slam.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. ;)

Try something that can provide bigger hits, ex. SSV, Supreme, VHW.

Look into vaping oil.

If you really want the couch lock make some edibles with vaped bud.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
iceshark said:
I have a hard time grasping that the smoke produced chemicals to get me that stoned. If this was the case more people would be smoking regular cigs to get high.
Depends on your definition of stoned. Cigarettes produce the sedative effects of carbon monoxide and benzene, but the effect of nicotine counteracts them to point where cigs give you a stimulant effect. CO and benzene are both smoke byproducts that produce drowsiness. Get either in a high enough dose and you'll go to sleep permanently. Vapor, especially at lower to mid range temps, has little to no toxins and produces a much cleaner high. In almost every case, smokers who try vapor and complain that something is missing, are really only missing byproducts of combustion, and they have nothing to do with the active compounds in cannabis. The exception is that some medical users will miss the few high temp active compounds that have a sedative or analgesic effect. And these you can get, to some extent, by vaping at the high end of the range.

Actually my doctor said that you do not build tolerance with THC.
Then it's other active compounds in cannabis. People wouldn't continue to take 'tolerance breaks' if there was no point in it.

max,

Raf007

Retailer
Imho there is (almost) no point in T break.
I find it s really a point of view, i never take T break, i mean I maybe took 7 breaks in 13 years, and I still get high every day.
last time i took a break was during a one month trip in Bali, the first bowl got me higher than usual, but after a day or two I was back to usual.

So as far as my xp goes, u don't really build up a real good tolerance like u can w. boose or any hard drugs.

Raf007,

iceshark

Ice Man
WOW! Thanks for your replys. I learned alot reading them and the complete MF thread.. Some points I am already doing, I do take very slow sipping a straw 15 second hits. However I think the grind might be the big issue!

I bought a 4 part sharpstone grinder, I do it unside down and sideways as best Ican before turning over. However there is big holes in this grinder and with the sticky MED dispenserie buds I get:D They rarely are ground fine. This may be the issue? I buy mainly grams of product and dont think a coffee grinder would work. Think I would lose lots of product?

Is there a grinder that does a better job that is not expensive? Or maybe a small space case as I dont do big quantity. That said, I will try and find a manual way to grind some small and try tonight. I have read mixed on how full the trench should be. Many say small and many say full>? No real consensus on this?

I also will try to buy a larger vape? Need a cost effective one as I just went back to work after my time off for surgery. Lots of bills.

I have many indicas and sativas. I find I like hybrid leaning towards more sativa but still with a body high.

I did buy some brownies to try edible as I have never tried before, then I will make some with saved vape used product. Little scared as I hear edible MJ is very strong for long. I need to be able to function after eating.

Last, I did not misunderstand the DR. This doctor in WA is on the board for Med MJ tests and such at UW Med School. She knows her stuff.

She quoted why it is untrue that THC usage builds a tolernance. She said many people mistake tolerance with THC levels and inhalation levels an the high. She said THC (the chemical) is absorbed and activated I believe by the Liver? and where ever it goes it is not an active drug that the body builds a tolerance too like an opiate or many prescribed drugs. She said its in same family as Anti-histimine and Motrin, the body has same response to it each time and does not build tolerance.

She mentioned a detailed published scientific report available on internet about the subject. I will try to fnd.

But I am totally commited to being a happy VAPER, I will keep reading and try to learn and refine. Infact I will try tonight.

Again, Thank you.

iceshark,

Durden

I am Jack's title
A pair of scissors and a shotglass or something similar can help to grind up things finely, I've used it on more than one occasion. The small space case is the only grinder I use at the moment because the grind is so much finer than even the medium SC with similar effort.

I'm always interested in more reports so whatever you can find I'm sure many of us will appreciate. I was just talking to someone in chat the other day about how tolerances just level out at a certain point, which is certainly the case with me as I use relatively the same amount every month for over a year now that I've switched to vaporizing. From what I understand, heavy and chronic smokers livers' convert THCa into delta 11 THC when its saturated with enough THC, but no so much in new or light smokers that don't have a lot in their system. The converted form is what is said to be the most beneficial for the body from a health standpoint, and personal experience tells me this is true in at least some cases. When you eat edibles you force this reaction by putting large amounts into your digestive track at once for your liver to deal with, which is why they can be so intense for people not used to it. So people have what we call a tolerance buildup as they gain the ability to absorb more/smoke more/whatever as the reaction builds up in the body, but it levels out once you get to that point. The body remembers as well so you get back to that same plateau pretty quickly. That's my half assed erl infuenced explanation hope it made sense.

Durden,

Cappella Sistina

Maybe you should try "shooting up" some oil?

Stop with this pussy vaping/smoking shit and start mainlining your thc.

Thats what I would do.

:D

Cappella Sistina,

gim

THC is not 'activated' by the liver, if anything the liver would be filtering THC from the bloodstream.

THC works like any other drug in that it bonds with receptors in your brain. Once a receptor is full with the chemical it accepts, it cannot bond any more until freed. Thats one of the reasons why you can only physically get 'so high'.

"When smoked or ingested, THC and other cannabinoids in marijuana attach to two types of receptors on cells in your body like keys in a lock affecting the cells, once attached.

CB1 is one such receptor. CB1 receptors are found mainly in your brain, especially in areas that control body movement, memory and vomiting. This helps explain why marijuana use affects balance and coordination and impairs short-term memory and learning, and why it can be useful in treating nausea, pain and loss of appetite.

The other type of receptor, CB2, is found in small numbers elsewhere in your body, mainly in tissue of the immune system, such as your spleen and lymph nodes. The function of these receptors is not well understood. They may serve as brakes on immune system function, which may help explain why marijuana suppresses your immune system.

After you smoke marijuana, its ingredients reach their peak levels in your body within minutes, and effects can last up to an hour and a half. When eaten the plant is sometimes mixed with food the ingredients can take several hours to reach their peak levels in your body, and their effects may last for hours."
MARIJUANA contains many substances, collectively identified as "cannabinoids." Of these, the most important one is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This is the major psychoactive compound, and the compound which is of most forensic and pharmacologic interest. THC is metabolized first to Hydroxy-THC (THC-OH), which is active, then to the inactive 11-nor-delta-9-THC Carboxylic acid (THC-A or THC-COOH).

Marijuana use has traditionally been monitored by the detection of THC-A. However, the presence of THC-A in the urine only indicates marijuana use, not intoxication. Because THC is stored in body fat, long term use of marijuana results in the storage of THC in the body. As THC leaches out of the body fat, it is metabolized by the liver into THC-OH, then into THC-A. Long term use of marijuana can result in the finding of THC-A for several months after the last use of marijuana (1).

...THC and THC-OH are essentially absent from the urine 4-6 hours after the last use of marijuana..

gim,

iceshark

Ice Man
Looks like its the small space case:) This will get me vaping right. Where is the most cost effective place to buy?

Also are the Easy vape (authentics) a decent first vape. They have them locally for $65

Thanks.

Finelly chopping my Blueberry to try tonight. Cant wait! Will toke low and slow and shake and repack as mentioned. I want to get high!:peace:

iceshark,

shantytown007

iceshark said:
Finelly chopping my Blueberry to try tonight.
Since I love my giant hunk-o-steel mendo mulcher, it pains me to admit that the 10$ electric coffee grinder I picked up at the grocery store is waaay better for vape grinding- especially with the MFLB. Just don't use it for coffee too. If you do- Keef coffee is just as awful as smoking keef and ground coffee beans- trust me on that one.

Potency wise- my MFLB gets me the cleanest, lightest, speediest high (great for work, social); the Purple Days gets me blasted (great for after work), and the SSV rips my face off (great for 'Augh, I just walked in on my grandparents and need to erase my brain before the image is scarred into my soul').

shantytown007,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom