I'm looking for a portable vape that's efficient with decent materials. recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CArussell

So, im looking for a portable vape.

I only care about two things:
1 - It is efficient. It gets to the ideal temperature for vaping buds and it does a good job of not releasing vapor.

2 - The materials are not simply plastic but are something I shouldn't be to worries about heating up over and over.

With these as criteria, Im thinking of the Solo or the Thermovape Cera. I'm having a hard time choosing between them. Thoughts and suggestions?

CArussell,

Snowlock

I'll only have one other prior experience with vaping and that was with a box type vape that was cheap(china glass whip, very inaccurate temps etc)

BUT

I've ordered a Solo that should arrive 11th(today) or the 12th. I can give you my :2c: and such when I get it.

Caulin

So you want one that does NOT release a lot of visible vapor? From what everyone is saying the cera is great for oils and concentrated but not for loose leaf. If you do want a vape that doesn't show vapor check out the da Vinci. I'm pretty sure it doesn't show much. The solo is a good vape, a lot of people like it. If you can wait a while I would wait and see how the da Vinci ascent is. It's supposed to come out may 1st and looks like a great vape. It's a complete glass pathway. Has a good temp range and is very adjustable(like the original) and can do both loose leaf and oils. However it is not out yet, so while it seems great and a lot of people are excited, it can potentially be a pos. we will have to wait for the reviews.

Edit: in case you haven't researched much, there is no ultimate portable. They all have their goods and bads. Like cars, if there was a "best" car company or model everyone would have it and everyone else would go out of business.

Caulin,

CArussell

I dont mind visible vapor. I dont plan on using this in any places where I cant. I mean more like vapor doesnt leak out of it. I figured I'd ask my question here cause so many of these threads have no criteria whereas I know clearly what the only two things I care about are: making it as healthy and efficient as possible. I dont care about cost or visibility.

CArussell,

Caulin

It's really just what vape you like the most and fits you. There's tons of portables out now. Everything I suggest is purely from reviews and almost all from this site. I have been researching portables for a long long time and finally chose the ascent. The thing looks amazing. I'm hoping the reviews are good when it comes out. But then again I may not even wait for reviews lol. The Pax is a good vale but it needs a lot of cleaning and I have heard its a hog with your flowers and smells when in use. Have you done research? I suggest going into the portable threads and taking a look. Pax,solo,pinnacle,cera,da Vinci, Da Vinci ascent, there's tons. For me I wanted a portable that's actually......portable. Small!!!! The solo does seem like an excellent vape....but it's too big for me. I need something that I can put in a pocket. That's why I didn't want the da Vinci as well. I really wanted the cera but everyone on that thread says its not great for LL but I'd DOES work. Are you leaning towards convection or conduction? I prefer convection as do a lot. But once again it's more of a preference than a better or worse. If your only choosing between the solo and cera I would pick the solo.

Caulin,

clouded vision

if you prefer convection, why are you waiting for the ascent which is primarily a conduction vape? I must say the ascent does look promising and I can see myself wanting one eventually but I'll wait for the reviews to come in and the initial bugs to be worked out. Also with a scheduled release date of may 1 or sooner and no pre-order in yet, good luck getting your hands on one for at least a few months after the initial release (that goes for OP not caulin I have no idea of you ordered already or not). this must be one of the most anticipated vaporizers ever released, there are almost 70 pages on the thread and it isn't even out yet.
I don't think they are any vaporizers on here ( except those put on here just to warn that they are a pos or cheap Chinese knockoff) will have any issues with vapor leaking out, the last thing any of us want is to waste our precious vapors.

Caulin

^ because I prefer convection. I like both. You can pre-register on their site. It doesn't cost any money and you don't have to buy it after you preregistration it just gets you on the list. I agree it is one of the most anticipated. The compan seems solid. They seem to really care about the product and not about getting it out fast and making money. Time will tell but I will probably take the chance.

Caulin,

max

Out to lunch
Caulin said:
So you want one that does NOT release a lot of visible vapor? .....If you do want a vape that doesn't show vapor check out the da Vinci. I'm pretty sure it doesn't show much.
Load it up and crank up the temp and you can exhale a huge cloud of vapor. I've been using this model since it was introduced. It can pack a punch if you want it to. Even the Magic Flight can produce a lot of vapor if used with that in mind. How much vapor is exhaled does depend on the model and the bowl capacity, but adding a glass piece to a small vape can increase the draw and vapor output dramatically. The biggest factors in how much vapor is exhaled are the user and how he/she uses the unit, as well as how much herb you load and expose to the heat, per hit. Small portables lend themselves best to small hits and small amounts of exhaled vapor, but you can customize the vaping experience towards big clouds or small to none, according to how the particular model is loaded and used.

clouded vision said:
if you prefer convection, why are you waiting for the ascent which is primarily a conduction vape?
Actually it's not, any more than the DV is. You have a free flowing air path through the herb chamber. If it were primarily conduction you'd have uneven cooking, since conduction requires contact with the heated metal to vaporize.

max,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
So, im looking for a portable vape.

I only care about two things:
1 - It is efficient. It gets to the ideal temperature for vaping buds and it does a good job of not releasing vapor.

2 - The materials are not simply plastic but are something I shouldn't be to worries about heating up over and over.

With these as criteria, Im thinking of the Solo or the Thermovape Cera. I'm having a hard time choosing between them. Thoughts and suggestions?

Have you thought of flame based units too? There are some efficient ones out there, like the Vaponic, Vapocane and the Gn0me. And it's all glass so it doesn't go better than that.

From your choices it looks stealth is not as important which is nice since you get to choose between a much wider range, with different strong points.

Between the Solo and TV CERA, i would say the Solo is more versatile, and has battery that is 2-3x longer lasting. The Cera would win on taste, but the Solo is easier for newbies.
The Cera is stealthier and is less prone to acidental breakage, the Solo has glass stems although you could buy a wood stem too.

In the end, i would go SOLO. Be sure to check the XP too, and the FlashVape.

vorrange,

clouded vision

The oven works similar to the Davinci, in a conduction fashion, but with a faster heat up time. During testing we had very good, even results with the new bowl material.
I would hate to argue with a mod but davinci says it works in a conduction fashion.

clouded vision,

lwien

I would hate to argue with a mod but davinci says it works in a conduction fashion.

DaVinci themselves corrected that statement.

Also, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted about conduction..I need to edit that post. We really try to focus on building convection vapes. A quick heat up time is great for some materials, but really lends to combustion not to mention an uneven roasting experience. So all in all, the Ascent is a convection vaporizer.

lwien,

Symbolik

I have a pax, and I absolutely love it, its very efficient, the only drawback imo is there is a lot of cleaning involved

Symbolik,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I'm a firm believer (having set up friends) that the Solo is the way to go for a 1st timer coming into the vaping scene....

Simple to use; multiple temperature settings to experiment likes/dislikes with; expandable with accessories for different levels of satisfaction; portable if wanted yet just as satisfying for at home; $160 range from our vendors with appropriate discount codes; and a ++ regarding support & satisfaction from both those FC vendors as well as the multitude of seasoned FC members experiences.

With that basis (and some more FC research), you can move onward to other vapes to try as you gain more experience vaping. Or, like me.... keep using good ole faithful Solo as a main and 'play' with others if you see fit to further your fun.

OO

Technical Skeptical
With the hammer, you can take your material and remove it from the heat source completely.
The chamber where your material is is separate, and you put it up to the heat source when you are ready to use it (like you would on a log vape).

So there is no leakage with it. With a very small amount (pinch) of high quality material, you can expect to get 5 massive pulls.

OO,

Caulin

I believe the conduction talk started when they made the video of usage. During the loading stage a lot of vapor rose from the bowl. So everyone figured it was more of a conduction than convection. Glad to hear its more of a convection though. And my friend also has a pad and loves it. He doesn't know much about vaping. He impulse bought the thing. I told him to make sure he cleans it a lot. I don't think he has had any problems. Seems like if you clean it regularly and don't let anything build up you will be Aokay.
but adding a glass piece to a small vape can increase the draw and vapor output dramatically.
I've never been able to figure out why? I mean I know it's true. My iolite hooked up to my glass piece makes a huge hit. But why? How can it increase airflow, why doesn't a bottleneck form at the air intake of the unit. My common sense says that my lungs should be able to do the same thing if all you change is the draw end of the unit. Does that make sense?

OP any thoughts on what your leaning towards?

Caulin,

Snowlock

Solo arrived today. Paid $150 on ebay. Brand new.I picked it up right before work and I am on my dinner break now so no usage reports but at a glance:

Feels solid and looks good

Smaller than I pictured. almost exact same size a a disposable glass McCormick salt/ pepper grinder you can get at Walmart.

Heats up quick and doesn't get uncomfortably hot.

I cant wait to get off of work and try it so the vapor report will come around 12:30 tonight

Snowlock,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom