I think I'm done with oils/waxes/shatter etc.

Hexi

What is that setup? Is it a homemade tasmisium?

Please explain what going on in your first pic

I believe what is going on in that first Ataxian pic is pure EPICness :smug:

Concs can make you cough more also because of temps. Typically concs need a higher temp, the higher the temp of the vapor, the more likely I cough, flowers or concs, I get the same result cough-wise.

If I take a huge rip off a conc. it can make me cough hard. If I take a smaller controlled hit, not so much. My concs all come from the high end dispensary, most are not BHO, but full melt or CO2, but I've had some BHOs from there as well, the source flower of the conc. for me is always the biggest distinction in both taste, effect and smoothness.

Hexi,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
What is that setup? Is it a homemade tasmisium?

Please explain what going on in your first pic
I made this at home.
Orginally I made surfboards and furntiure with it.
However it's perfect for vacuum purging.

It cost me about $200 to make it.
Most of the parts I bought on line except the PVC which I bought at HOME DEPOT.

I got this from JOETHEWOODWORKER

The cool thing is My unit obtains the proper vacuum pressure then shuts off in 20 seconds or less.
Hold until done.
Fast and Quiet!
I wired it 220 (overkill)
Pretty basic really!
That why I purge 3 x!

I don't cough with my wax!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
what did you do in your previous life?
I retired just before my 54th birthday!
I lived around the world and speak 2 other languages besides English.

@ataxian thanks! That is pretty slick!

Do you only vacuum purge or do you use heat as well to help purge?
BHO has a low boiling point.
As I'm extracting the flowers with 3x butane I have another pan with 100f water.
I roll up the extracted material into a ball and trough it into a glass jar with a vacuum fitting.
After the first vacuum purge I spread it thin onto a hot plate (140f) 2 minutes give or take.
Then I vacuum purge again.
I press it into a tight ball and purge a 3rd and final time.

One tip I learned is to not grind to much to process.
You don't want plant matter.

My wax is blonde!

Many may disagree with my methods?

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I retired just before my 54th birthday!
I lived around the world and speak 2 other languages besides English.

BHO has a low boiling point.
As I'm extracting the flowers with 3x butane I have another pan with 100f water.
I roll up the extracted material into a ball and trough it into a glass jar with a vacuum fitting.
After the first vacuum purge I spread it thin onto a hot plate (140f) 2 minutes give or take.
Then I vacuum purge again.
I press it into a tight ball and purge a 3rd and final time.

One tip I learned is to not grind to much to process.
You don't want plant matter.

My wax is blonde!

Many may disagree with my methods?
I'll disagree with your methods really quickly...

140f is too high ataxian!! I know you "chase flavors" and you're boiling off the terpenes at 140! Drop it another 50 degrees, whenever I use hot water to purge it's never higher than the mid-90's!

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!

140f is too high ataxian!! I know you "chase flavors" and you're boiling off the terpenes at 140! Drop it another 50 degrees, whenever I use hot water to purge it's never higher than the mid-90's!

Perhaps the 140 is hotplate surface temp and not transferred temp to the chamber surface ? I don't think he'd be getting 'blond' with that high direct.

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
A few pages Back the was talk about cbd extractions. I have a question or two maybe one of you gurus can help me with. I have heard that butane mainly removes the thc, and iso\etoh removes more of the cbd\cbn. Is this true? If so then could we run our material with butane first, for a thc extract.....then run with iso\etoh for a mainly cbd extract?

Soflo,
Reactions: darkrom

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

Really?

90f?
No hot plate purge?
Perhaps the 140 is hotplate surface temp and not transferred temp to the chamber surface ? I don't think he'd be getting 'blond' with that high direct.
I set the dial at 140f.

The metal plate Teflon coated is maybe 120f?
1 minute spread thin to bubble out.

My stuff is blonde!

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
A few pages Back the was talk about cbd extractions. I have a question or two maybe one of you gurus can help me with. I have heard that butane mainly removes the thc, and iso\etoh removes more of the cbd\cbn. Is this true? If so then could we run our material with butane first, for a thc extract.....then run with iso\etoh for a mainly cbd extract?

I believe saying that supercritical gas bonds w/ thc is kind of a misnomer. It bonds w/ the trichs (resin glands) themselves. The resin glands are where all cannabinoids, terps, ect are located. I would assume the same holds true for iso.

IMO, if you are looking for high thc or cbd content, you need to find strains which already have high contents. If for some odd reason someone wants more cbn, just empty a pile of flowers out of your container into the corner of the room (preferably on carpet, in the sun with a fan blowing on it) - and check back in a couple of months. CBN is a product of degradation. If you want all cbd, grow hemp. Late harvests will increase cbd content, but at the expense of thc degradation.

darkrom

Great Scott!
Is it known roughly what time AVERAGE thc will degrade to CBD? I'd love to have a strain split in half and purposely try to degrade one to a higher CBD:THC ratio. I'll have to experiment, but I get the feeling others have already done this. Hell, it can be done with a vaporizer. Set it low, vape off some of the THC into the atmosphere, then start inhaling when it is a lower THC content left.

darkrom,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
thc degrades to cbn, not cbd. What I was trying to say about late harvests is that cbd content is higher and thc content is lower (through natural degradation, some of which is converted to cbn). This doesn't necessarily mean that the thc is being degraded to cbd. Cbn is a product of degradation, cbd is not. Lower thc content is just a consequence of letting your plant go long enough to gain a higher cbd content. Is that confusing enough? Thc production is based on a bell curve. There is a definite peak, after which only degradation is possible. Before strains like harlequin (bred for high cbd/ low thc), I would only look at thc content as it usually goes hand in hand w/ cbd content = the higher the thc content, the higher the cbd content. Nowadays, people are looking for high cbd's w/o much thc. This is not what works for me. Cbd has gained attention for how it works hand in hand w/ thc and other cannabinoids to provide an overall effect. I believe the reverse to be true as well. I think people may find that cbd by itself is not going to always be as effective as when it is coupled w/ other cannabinoids.

To more specifically answer your question: no. It is pretty strain/grower specific. A lot of people will harvest 1/2 of a plant earlier for morning meds and the other 1/2 later for nighttime meds. Trial and error w/ this method is about as specific as it gets for home growers.

Hexi

The dispo I go to here is very big on CBD strains, they always have at least 2 of the "most sought after CBD" strains in stock and they do CBD events. I'll ask them how they do..

Nowadays, people are looking for high cbd's w/o much thc. This is not what works for me. Cbd has gained attention for how it works hand in hand w/ thc and other cannabinoids to provide an overall effect. I believe the reverse to be true as well. I think people may find that cbd by itself is not going to always be as effective as when it is coupled w/ other cannabinoids.

The CBD strains I've tried, I always go for the more balanced THC/CBD than the exclusively high CBD. So like 9%/10%. The effect is definitely different, but I don't have strong enough symptoms to need a high CBD all the time (thankfully)

A lot of the shoppers with high CBD needs at the dispo tend to have ailments that need those effects more than the combo or the thc effects from what I understand.

edit - year right now they have Sour Ts and Mother T etc.. like 7/8% ratio or 10-7% ratio etc...

CannaT SRO1 which was 11% THC 8% CBD and I found very distinct and potent with the effects.

Last edited:
Hexi,

Hexi

Epic! I need to figure out what to do with my ABV without any vac set ups or anything.

Hexi,

darkrom

Great Scott!
. Cbd has gained attention for how it works hand in hand w/ thc and other cannabinoids to provide an overall effect. I believe the reverse to be true as well. I think people may find that cbd by itself is not going to always be as effective as when it is coupled w/ other cannabinoids.

I can attest to this right now. I have some CBD products. No pain relief from any of them, besides the CBD balm. That seems to help MILDLY with muscle pain, and decently on aches. The CBD gum and tinctures do seem to be very effective for my anxiety though. Just not pain.

Just recently got some mehhhh outdoor shade grown cannatonic. Normally I only get the higher quality buds these days, but I needed to try a high CBD strain. Its early to tell still since I just got it a few days ago, but it seems to be great for pain so far. The CBD definitely is not as effective on its own. I am saving the tons and tons of cannatonic seeds to give to friends and quality growers. In a while I should be able to try some AMAZING cannatonic, which could only help more than the outdoor cannatonic that is hermied...

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I can attest to this right now. I have some CBD products. No pain relief from any of them, besides the CBD balm. That seems to help MILDLY with muscle pain, and decently on aches. The CBD gum and tinctures do seem to be very effective for my anxiety though. Just not pain.

Just recently got some mehhhh outdoor shade grown cannatonic. Normally I only get the higher quality buds these days, but I needed to try a high CBD strain. Its early to tell still since I just got it a few days ago, but it seems to be great for pain so far. The CBD definitely is not as effective on its own. I am saving the tons and tons of cannatonic seeds to give to friends and quality growers. In a while I should be able to try some AMAZING cannatonic, which could only help more than the outdoor cannatonic that is hermied...

Does the plant have male flowers everywhere? Maybe it just got seeded? If it is a hermy, chances are pretty good the seeds will all produce hermies.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had marinol (pure thc) that only put me to sleep - no other positive effects. This is why I am so against gov controlled mj. Imo, gov = corporate pharma lackey, and I know they would prefer to sell me a pill which just can't compete w/ the healing powers of the plant as a whole. People forget that thc also has the ability to ease pain, nausea, etc.

If you eat a bowl of salad, your body only readily uptakes so many of the nutrients. If you drink a glass of oj w/ that salad, your body uptakes significantly more. It's about the interaction.

I realize we're going ot (evolving the thread?). but the flowers are what makes good or bad oil.

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
Thank you for the info relating to cbd\cbn I have always been an Indica guy and prefer the heavy sleepy type of medication. I mainly use oils that come pre packed in topical syringes. With strains labeled, also thc\cbd\cbn % and I always prefer the higher cbn for some reason. Why would they market their product labeling the cbn if all it does is show the degradation of the thc? Just confused a little.

Soflo,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
cbn is still somewhat psychoactive (about 10% of thc). The effects attributed to cbn are usually dizziness, grogginess and disorientation. If you want sleepy, cbn does that. At a guess, I'm assuming the strains you like w/ a high cbn content also show a high cbd content or lower thc content? If you harvest late, some thc will have converted to cbn and the cbd content will also be higher. 2 different processes.

I really think you can only use these disp #'s as a loose guideline. A plants qualities will vary from grower to grower, plant to plant and even throughout the plant. I'm guessing once they have the # they want, they don't continue to test a strain or it's variations.

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: darkrom

Hexi

For a whole year before I got my vacuum set up I used a fan and SAFEWAY ISO 99%:

You can make it so many different ways!
I'm a cheap ass!

Nice stuff, that's what I was thinking, I can do something with 99 iso and a filter. I'm going to start digging around for guides.

Top Bottom