I relaized somehting the other night.

weedemon

enthusiast
I have this theory that driving at night without your high beams on actually prevents roadkill.

Twice this summer I have had deer almost run out in front of me. But they turned back. Then again a few other times with raccoons mostly but also a porcupine as well.

My theory is this. With high beams on, the animals see the road for much longer and go for it; having no idea that the light's originator is hurdling towards them at 90km/h or more usually. This means that the car is farther away. (maybe 3-4 seconds away from them instead of only 1 or 2) Animals either think that's enough time, or maybe don't even notice the vehicle yet. But that's not enough for a smaller animal... then there the term deer in headlights. and that speaks for itself.

When the low beams are on they get a much shorter window of opportunity to cross and they seem to notice my car. I've avoided a few close calls that way!

Just a thought I wanted to share.

Why were my high beams off? Oncoming traffic and then forgot to ever flick em back :p

*edit sorry for the shitty title! maybe a mod could make it about the topic... *derp!*

weedemon,

djonkoman

no matter if it's to prevent roadkill or not, I appreciate anyone not using high beams at night.
everytime I drive home on my bicycle at night I get blinded by passing cars, often I even have to stop for a while untill the car has passed since I can't see the side of the road anymore(and don't want to accidently drive into the ditch)
I think something similar may apply for animals. if there are no cars or steetlights around, I can see my surroundings way better(I have noticed that compared to other people my nightvision is pretty good, once I was driving to a friends house after smoking at a bench next to a pond, at night, and I could name the shape and color of cars, fences, houses etc when he couldn't even see that car/house/fence I was talking about yet)
but as soon as there are lights around(streetlights and cars) that means my eyes get adjusted to the light, and sop I can still see ok in the lighted area, but outside that the visibility is a lot less.
it could be that for those animals the same aplies, as soon as they get hit by the highbeams they get blinded by the lights and so stop untill their eyes are adjusted again and they can see their surroundings again, but that little bit of waiting is just enough for the car to aproach and hit them.

I don't really get people's obsession with streetlights, I love the night but it gets ruined by way too much streetlights. around here they even put streetlights next to some bicyclepaths, not just carroads. and the ones on bicyclepaths are even closer together as on roads.
on the other hand, streetlights make carlights slightly less blinding since my eyes are already adjusted to more light.

djonkoman,
Top Bottom