I love it..but I'm using much more weed

I'm new to vaping after smoking joints with tobacco for more than 25 years. I've found it something of a revelation, but am having one or two little teething problems which I hope you experts can help me iron out.
I've got a Herbstick Eco portable vape, which was about £30.

The positives are all over this forum, so I won't repeat them but I'm loving the clean high and discretion.

The biggest negative for me is that I am using a lot of weed in comparison to when I smoked joints. This is perhaps offset by the slight high I got when I spent a few days revaping my ABV, but it's still noticeable. In an evening I might get through two grams of good quality, THC heavy skunk. I've also tried hash, and I got through similar amounts. When I smoked I got through about half of that.

Maybe I'm hammering more in pursuit of couchlock, as a legacy of my joint smoking. I'm certainly getting very "high". Or maybe I'm not preparing the weed correctly. The weed, I've been breaking up as small as I can with my fingers. The hash I've been heating and crumbling like in a joint.

The Herbstick had 6 temperatures and I'm heating the weed on the second to highest, and hash on the highest setting.

I read everywhere on this forum that everyone is getting better "value" using their vape but I don't think I am. Do I need a better vaporizor or can I make changes which will help?

Aphex Twin,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Greetings!!

Maybe I'm hammering more in pursuit of couchlock, as a legacy of my joint smoking. I'm certainly getting very "high". Or maybe I'm not preparing the weed correctly. The weed, I've been breaking up as small as I can with my fingers. The hash I've been heating and crumbling like in a joint.

So first thing to mention as it is important later - a vaporizer uses different temperatures to release different chemical compounds. Low temps for a cerebral high, and high temps for sedation (couch lock).

The Herbstick had 6 temperatures and I'm heating the weed on the second to highest, and hash on the highest setting.

The max temperature on the Herbstick is roughly 410F. This is the temperature measured on the outside of the oven wall. It is not a true measure of the actual herb temperature.

Herb combustion occurs at around 465F (give or take depending on the strain). So theoretically, there's still a bunch of sedative compounds left in that herb even if you used that vaporizer 100% efficiently.

I read everywhere on this forum that everyone is getting better "value" using their vape but I don't think I am. Do I need a better vaporizor or can I make changes which will help?

Every body is different. The medical benefits we seek from the herb changes from person to person. Some like me use vaporizing at low temperatures to medicate and get me where I want to be. I have no personal desire for complete sedation, so I never set my vaporizers to those temperatures.

That said, your vaporizer is extremely weak and underpowered. You can get a complete extraction at temperatures under 410F with practice and dedication. But you're still missing out because you're limited by the vape's temp range.

Don't feel bad though, most portable electronic vapes cap out at around 410F anyway (many different reasons for this, but 410 seems to be the magic number, even for $300 vapes like the Mighty)

My personal suggestion? Go buy a Titanium Woodie Vapcap - http://www.dynavap.com/product/vapcap-titanium-woody/

This vape uses a cigar torch to heatup the vape. It can easily reach vaping temperatures, and you can easily combust if you do not follow the instructions. But with practice, this Vapcap will knock you on your ass.

I've personally used dozens of vaporizers, and the Vapcap is one I keep in my personal collection. It travels everywhere with me

There are a few other awesome butane powered vapes on the market capable of reaching those higher temps you want. But they're much harder to learn, the Vapcap has a nifty "clicking" cap which audibly tells you when you've reached vaping temperatures

nodrog

I have the same experience. I know I'm going through more weed than when I was mostly smoking it. But I also retain my vaped weed and make medicated coconut oil or extract into Everclear. I simply accept that I'm going through more cannabis with my vaporizer, but I enjoy the experience more and overall it's worth it. I have noticed that anyone who isn't a big stoner like me needs similar amounts whether vaped or smoked. I just like larger quantities -- I appreciate that I can consume a whole bowl's worth of pot in like 4-5 puffs on my vaporizer.

Very interesting reply. I do seem to be spending most of my time trying to get what I can from each hit, if you know what I mean: I pull and pull on it for 5-10 minutes. So your conculsion, that I need a better vape, makes sense.

nodrog

Very interesting reply. I do seem to be spending most of my time trying to get what I can from each hit, if you know what I mean: I pull and pull on it for 5-10 minutes. So your conculsion, that I need a better vape, makes sense.

I love the Mobius Flower Pot vaporizer. Favorite way to consume cannabis I've encountered in 30 years of smoking pot. See the Flower Pot thread here at FC.

nodrog,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
We should also mention the breathing or rather re-breathing technique. Once you complete your hits, slowly inhale as much air as possible and fill your lungs fully, then slowly exhale part of the hit through your nostrils then immediately re-inhale some fresh air. You can do this 4 or 5 times in a row.

We suspect that it might improve the active ingredients intake, as somehow vapor doesn't seem to stick the same way as smoke.

If you just puff on it like a cig and exhale right after, it seems to me to be less efficient.

I love the Mobius Flower Pot vaporizer. Favorite way to consume cannabis I've encountered in 30 years of smoking pot. See the Flower Pot thread here at FC.
I've just been looking into that but it doesn't seem to be available in UK

We should also mention the breathing or rather re-breathing technique. Once you complete your hits, slowly inhale as much air as possible and fill your lungs fully, then slowly exhale part of the hit through your nostrils then immediately re-inhale some fresh air. You can do this 4 or 5 times in a row.

We suspect that it might improve the active ingredients intake, as somehow vapor doesn't seem to stick the same way as smoke.

If you just puff on it like a cig and exhale right after, it seems to me to be less efficient.
Yes, I've picked that up from the forum already. What i've been doing is trying that rebreathing method on the first pull or two, but then just "sipping" it thereafter.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Aphex Twin,
Reactions: Alexis

nodrog

I've been playing around with this, seems to increase the effect but I'm not convinced.

nodrog,

hillbill

Half loads with screen on top in about any Flowermate "5" series will pull a lot of vapor and save your stash. Not expensive. The v5.0s is a power house. Underdog logs are extremely efficient and pure convection so the taste is as good as it gets. Watch for upcoming sale.

Both of these have been reliable. I've had the dog for 2 years and 2 of my flowermates for over a year. Vaping should be more efficient than combustion, not less.

hillbill,
Reactions: flotntoke

Doktor Dub

Welcome to FC!

There are many people with much greater knowledge then mine here, which will give you all the important Infos.
Just 2 points i d like to mention as somebody who thinks the transition from smoking to Vaporizing is not easy:
1: You will need some Time to enjoy the effects from vaping as much as smoking
2: Just in my personal Opinion, that s the way it felt for me: You want the best, strongest, Heavy hitter there is to help you stay away from combustion! To start with a weak Vape just makes no sense, especialy if you just start out.

Good luck!

Doktor Dub,

BadDog No

As mentioned earlier by Ratchett, different effects are available so I'm a big fan of temperature stepping. I also find that having several different vapes available and changing up regularly gives a different and "fresh" profile. Theoretically this can lead to the use of less herb. I say theoretically because some of us seem to have macrodose issues. ;) I start out fine with one of the Fireflys or Millie Milaana with a hard packed little puck that I get a few great hits from, flip it, and get a couple more. That's all any normal, and even most abnormal, person needs. But is it enough for me? Noooo! I have to load it up and do it again. Now I've got two densely packed barely used pucks and the bright idea to bang out a balloon or two surfaces. Three or four later and I'm thinking a little nap time might be necessary before I get my day started...:lol:

BadDog No,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
yeah, i go thru less and save the left-overs for edibles. People might have the right idea with trying another vape. And I'll pile on with the vapcap being good at high-temp full extraction as well as being inexpensive. There's plenty of other vapes people like here over the one you have though.

How dark of a color is your ABV? more light brown? or like coffee coloured?

Edit:
vapcap is also known for being good with hash

rabblerouser,
Reactions: Squiby
yeah, i go thru less and save the left-overs for edibles. People might have the right idea with trying another vape. And I'll pile on with the vapcap being good at high-temp full extraction as well as being inexpensive. There's plenty of other vapes people like here over the one you have though.

How dark of a color is your ABV? more light brown? or like coffee coloured?

Edit:
vapcap is also known for being good with hash

My AVB from both hash and weed as very dark brown or black. But I have revaped it and got something from it, definitely.

I'm finding the array of potential new vapes a bit bewildering, to be honest. Some of the ones you guy s are recommending aren't available in UK.

Welcome to FC!

There are many people with much greater knowledge then mine here, which will give you all the important Infos.
Just 2 points i d like to mention as somebody who thinks the transition from smoking to Vaporizing is not easy:
1: You will need some Time to enjoy the effects from vaping as much as smoking
2: Just in my personal Opinion, that s the way it felt for me: You want the best, strongest, Heavy hitter there is to help you stay away from combustion! To start with a weak Vape just makes no sense, especialy if you just start out.

Good luck!
This is the advice I'm taking from this thread: get a better vape.

Half loads with screen on top in about any Flowermate "5" series will pull a lot of vapor and save your stash. Not expensive. The v5.0s is a power house. Underdog logs are extremely efficient and pure convection so the taste is as good as it gets. Watch for upcoming sale.

Both of these have been reliable. I've had the dog for 2 years and 2 of my flowermates for over a year. Vaping should be more efficient than combustion, not less.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Flowermate 5.0. thanks for the advice.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

cloudsosmoke

you can get vapcap original glass in UK for £35 here

https://vapefiend.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=vapcap

free shipping on orders over £12

..that said - its body is glass and seems to break fairly easily

you can also get them direct from US (..i didnt get hit by any customs charges)

http://www.dynavap.com/shop/

where you can get replacement glass body for $15

or get something like the titanium woodie vapcap - less breakable

shipping shoulnt be too much ..i think i paid $13

its the only vape i know where you can put your finger over the hole and smoke it just like a cigarette/joint
pull draw into mouth..remove vapcap ..then inhale...

or just take long slow inhales as usual

Squiby

I also recommend the Vapcap. After trying several vaporizers, the Vapcap is the only one I use now, everyday, throughout the day.

The Vapcap is incredibly efficient with your flower, hash, crumble or other concentrates.

I use the Vapcap for microdoses. I tear a tiny nug off of a flower bud and pop it into the bowl. That is all I need to get me where I'm going. I have significantly reduced my consumption since getting my Vapcaps. The ritual is similar to smoking a cigarette since the Vapcap is the same size and shape.

It does not take batteries. Does not need to be plugged in. There are no electronics to fail. No plastic parts to crack. No off gassing.

The build is modular so you can switch up parts to get your own custom look. Dynavap, the company, currently ships worldwide to over 30 countries.

Here are a couple of my Vapcaps.

The Black and White Ebony Ti Woody CMS with Blackwood mouthpiece. It is 4.25 inches long, the size of a King Sized cigarette. And beside it is my Blackwood Ti Woody S with a cocobolo mouthpiece. It is the size of a regular cigarette at 3.5 inches long.

qKqgRVg.jpg

Petrolhead

About temperatures you are ok. One 8 min session at yellow and after one more at red is the point of your vape.
I had this vaporizer and it's ok for me. And not only... 3 friends order 3 pieces for them after sessions with mine. Cheap vape and great at discretion. But you must quit joints to enjoy the difference... Save your lungs.
I can't remember how was to smoke joint. :shrug:
Buy a grinder. If you pull "x" sips per session be ready for much more sips after fine grinding of your weed.

Petrolhead,

herbivore21

Maybe I'm hammering more in pursuit of couchlock, as a legacy of my joint smoking. I'm certainly getting very "high".
You answered your own question here my friend! If you're seeking combustion style couchlock, you're gonna vape through a lot of flower compared to combusting!

Take your AVB, make some reclaim and dab a few large dabs of that. There's your couchlock ;)

herbivore21,
Reactions: hibeam

herbivore21

How do you make reclaim out of AVB???? Are you suggesting butane extraction at home?
No need for butane. Use iso (not ethanol, waste of money when we're only making AVB oil) if you know how, or cook the AVB into oil and use it in edibles. There are many threads around FC that explain how to do this :)

herbivore21,

Baron23

While I love the Vapcap and am a constant supporter of the product, company, and George and Matt; a butane lighter doesn't meet everybody's desires.

For very efficient vaping, I really like the Enano. Its a home plug in log vape that is as efficient in my estimation as the Vapcap. .05 per load, two loads and I'm done.

Just saying :2c:

Baron23,

waxdab23

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of the EVO in this thread. I understand OP has already pulled the trigger on something, but the EVO is certainly worth a look if you're after close-to-combustion-like effects. 0.1gish in the EVO through a bong at 2 or 3 o'clock is pretty damn close to smoking a bong snap, minus the nastiness and grogginess (not to be confused with pleasant couch lock).

They're having some Black Friday sales btw.

About temperatures you are ok. One 8 min session at yellow and after one more at red is the point of your vape.
I had this vaporizer and it's ok for me. And not only... 3 friends order 3 pieces for them after sessions with mine. Cheap vape and great at discretion. But you must quit joints to enjoy the difference... Save your lungs.
I can't remember how was to smoke joint. :shrug:
Buy a grinder. If you pull "x" sips per session be ready for much more sips after fine grinding of your weed.

So you are vaping each load twice and increasing the temperature on the second go? Why is that? Wouldn't just one ten minute session on red achieve the same?

Aphex Twin,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hi @Aphex Twin Welcome to FC from a fellow Brit.

In my personal experience, I used 10 times less herb than I did when I smoked. A lot of my urge to roll a joint was that evil mistress nicotine, and well, when at home I didn't smoke fags.

As soon as I quite nicotine, my cannabis consumption dropped off a cliff. I vape much less often and use far less weed in a session than I did in joints.

For me I like to have two sessions per bowl in my Arizer Solo, first session @ level 5 , then another at level 6. ( I may even start at level 4 on occasion)

The reason we do this lower temps to start is to enjoy the terpenes / flavanoids (the flavour), you will find as you get more into vaping you will really start to enjoy the taste of the weed without the tobacco drowning it out.

Then to extract more of the goodies, raise the temperature a little.

Then with the left over ABV I make cakes and truffles, and get hammered on my weed all over again.

Vaping and the FC community has not only helped save my lungs, but also helped reduce the dent in my wallet and the need to score so often.

However, watch out for VAS/GAS, as that can become your new enemy!

Oh, also invest in a decent grinder with Kief catcher, it helps you use your weed more sparingly and catch all those trichome goodies.

Top Bottom