1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

how to reduce the burn from everclear/avb tincture?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by david8613, Dec 18, 2019.

1. david8613

david8613 Well-Known Member

my question is how to reduce the burn from everclear/avb tincture? I made my first tincture and it came out really good, but that burn under the tongue is a little intense, I guess I can get use to it. I am wondering what I can do to tone the burn down little besides putting it in juice or other beverage, I want to use it under tongue to hit bloodstream faster and not have tincture go through gut which take long for me. any tips on flavoring tinctures? I am very curious on that also.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

If you want it sublinqual, then there really isn't anything to do.

If you flavor the Everclear, it will still be almost pure alcohol and will burn.

If you diluted it with fruit juice or the like, then you are killing the sublingual by diluting the heck out of it.

Just my thoughts

pxl_jockey and Alex3oe like this.
  3. CastIronHits

CastIronHits Slightly Crispy

My understanding is that much of the adsorption comes after dissolving into saliva, so why punish yourself? I put a few drops on my tongue, exhale to evaporate some of the alcohol then mix a bit of saliva and tincture, then hold the mixture in my mouth. Doing this removes the burn, puts the tincture in solution with saliva (which should help with adsorption) and allows me to hold the substance painlessly for as long as I desire. A small amount of glycerine can be added to medicinal tinctures to prevent crashing, some would say this helps flavor while also holding constituents in solution.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  4. david8613

I noticed if I leave my mouth open while its under tongue seems to help it not burn as much and evaporates a little more quickly. I made a lot of tincture about 15, 1 oz bottles and I gifted to some close friends, none of them ever used a tincture or even heard of them and some are like "WOW! that shit burns!!!" I warn them but it seems to catch them off guard anyway.

what would be the next best liquid to use to make a tincture that is not alcohol based but still extracts all the goods like alcohol and can be used under tongue with out the burn?

Madri-Gal likes this.
  5. CastIronHits

CastIronHits Slightly Crispy

An edible universal solvent better than ethanol for this purpose? No

Madri-Gal and Baron23 like this.
  6. david8613

I don't know, but a you tuber said I can take my tincture and put some honey in it and make it an elixir to tone down the everclear. I am going to try that and see, I am worried to mess it up, this stuff is like gold!

Madri-Gal likes this.
  7. invertedisdead

invertedisdead High Standards

Most science based cannabis brands use MCT Oil for tinctures.

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ah, not in MD. We have alcohol, coconut oil, and even some disgusting olive oil extractions.

I like alcohol best, myself.

macbill likes this.
  9. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

Click to play YouTube Video

I use a big spoon and I put some concentrated montmorency cherry juice and two very strong dropperfulls of THC tincture and let it swill about in my mouth. I like it!!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  10. david8613

lol that was funny! by the way mary poppins is hot!

Madri-Gal and macbill like this.
  11. jerseygent

jerseygent New Member

My understanding- tinctures are alcohol based. The alcohol acts as a solvent and is the best method for many people for a lot of reasons. Oils, butters (fats) are infusions. Different process. Both are effective but, for me starting out, Everclear was my go to method. Butter took over, then coconut oil.
    I think OP was looking for immediate effect and sublingual administration may be the best way, adding something will only dilute the meds and delay full onset of effects.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  12. david8613

Thank Jerseygent, makes good stuff. I have made cannabutters, coconut butters, tinctures. my next batch I will be a doing an oil

Madri-Gal and jerseygent like this.
  13. jerseygent

jerseygent New Member

Tried a few oils but feel comfortable with this trinity. The same way celery, carrots and onion are a jump off point for tons of dishes that I enjoy making. I’m still trying to get the excessively weedy taste out of my end product.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  14. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Good suggestions! Thinking about tincture for second rate material, but also don't like the burn - certainly not enough to use it several times each day.

Another thing you can try is evaporating the ethanol and redissolving in glycols. Although MCT oil (which is derived from coconut oil) or other oils should also work. Recommend propylene glycol (PG) or polyethylene glycol (PEG) rather than vegetable glycerin (which dissolves cannabinoids poorly). PG can be purchased from vape shops. It's widely used in food, so most of us are already exposed to far more than a few drops of tincture. You could extract directly into PG, but you can't evaporate PG, so it might be difficult to make a concentrated tincture.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  15. Vapin in the usa

Vapin in the usa Hit em with the hein!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors