How far away do you think cannabis legalization is?

Greenscreen

Just as it says really..
Here in the UK, i personally feel we are a long long way away from it..

I know the pharmaceutical industry and the oil industry would never let it happen anyway (i think thats what's stopping it here :\ ) but even without them involved, i still feel as if the governments propaganda has so many people fooled in my country..

I'm sure some of you hide the fact you use cannabis in order to make life easier / to be more accepted.. sometimes i do this too, but i hate doing so..

Posting on my local football forum (soccer to you guys) showed me just how misinformed the people around me are to weed and how far off legalization we really are..
I just wondered if you guys feel your much closer to getting the public to understand that it isn't 'the devils lettuce' as i've heard it called :lol:

From what i understand in Cali - You got the success you've gained by getting the truth out to the people who don't use it rather than grouping together the people who do use it?

Heres a link to me uselessly fighting for my rights on my local football forum if any of you guys care to see how misinformed the people round me are :p

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?245243-Cannabis.

Personally I don't think i will see cannabis legalization in my life time.. but thats just my opinion..
How about you guys??

Greenscreen,

quentin123

Hey man I'm also from the Uk and while I think we are miles away from any form of legalization I think we get a pretty good deal all round. I mean caught in possession is a £80 fine and no charge. That's pretty sweet, a lot of places have much, much worse penalties (admittedly there should be none but this is the world we live in). My friends friend was recently caught with two rooms full of plants, blatant intent to supply and got off with 100 days community service.
The big problem with the illegality of cannabis is that it skyrockets the price and reduces the quality but if you grow your own and make the effort to make it largely undetectable (an expensive initial investment but so, so worth it) your laughing. Many people caught with personal grows only get done for possession as well.

While this all blows and we really shouldn't have to hide it, we don't have it bad compared to many other tokers around the globe.

quentin123,

Greenscreen

Hey man I'm also from the Uk and while I think we are miles away from any form of legalization I think we get a pretty good deal all round. I mean caught in possession is a £80 fine and no charge. That's pretty sweet, a lot of places have much, much worse penalties (admittedly there should be none but this is the world we live in). My friends friend was recently caught with two rooms full of plants, blatant intent to supply and got off with 100 days community service.
The big problem with the illegality of cannabis is that it skyrockets the price and reduces the quality but if you grow your own and make the effort to make it largely undetectable (an expensive initial investment but so, so worth it) your laughing. Many people caught with personal grows only get done for possession as well.

While this all blows and we really shouldn't have to hide it, we don't have it bad compared to many other tokers around the globe.

true mate, we do get quite a sweet deal.. i got off on possession for an ounce and not even taken down the station and no fine.. not in the right circumstances to grow unfortunately but definitely will some day.. Just annoys me that one article comes out in the news and everyone around us over here is freaking out about it.

How do you think you can make your grow largely undetectable? just a good carbon filter? or you have other ideas??

Greenscreen,

quentin123

Old Victorian windowless cellars mate but we're not allowed to discuss growing here.

It's true, a lot of people round here are quite against weed, but people believe what they're told and its only people who have properly given cannabis a shot who really see it for what it is. Also there's no denying that in many cases cannabis has done more harm then good to certain people, especially with our binging culture. I totally hide the fact I'm a stoner until someone else has brought it up. I know exactly how you feel, it doesn't feel as though should have to hide something as insignificant as liking to get high but some people will always judge you for it.
On the whole though things seem to be looking up-ish in America, (quite a few medical states I believe) I think slowly it will become more acceptable but I am an optimist. Not enough to think legalization within the next 20 years but I think that within my lifetime it will at least be acceptable enough not to have to hide it.

quentin123,

Greenscreen

Yeh true it has done more harm then good to some people, moderation is key i guess.. slowly learning that after years of being preached at by family telling me occasional use is the key to a happy cannabis career, why is it you can be told these things but have to learn them for youself?!

I didn't even know we weren't allowed to discuss growing here! PM me with any other ideas next time maybe? Never really thought about windowless cellars! good idea for sure.

Personally I can't see much changing soon either, especially with savitex getting bigger and going global.. I reckon that might slowly put an end to the medical states - I hope not, and hope its just my pessimism but have a funny feeling that's what they're gonna try and do... Maybe things will change when those who believe the propaganda get ill and the herb is used to save them in years to come! :p

Happy vaping!!

Greenscreen,

alvinray

There are about 17 States with Pending Legislation to Legalize Medical Marijuana:
(as of Feb. 13, 2012)
1. Alabama
2. Idaho
3. Illinois
4. Indiana
5. Iowa
6. Kansas
7. Maryland
8. Massachusetts
9. Mississippi
10. Missouri
11. New Hampshire
12. New York
13. Ohio
14. Oklahoma
15. Pennsylvania
16. West Virginia
17. Wisconsin

Thus, i wish soon marijuana is legal in these state.

alvinray,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
So, here in Rhode Island, they JUST decriminalized for an ounce or under. It's going to be like a traffic fine if you get caught. Not great, but a step in the right direction. We also have medical and soon we will have dispensaries, too. I seriously think it could happen in my lifetime. I'm 47...

Tstat,

dannkk

The state enjoys having criminals for citizens. They're not completely apposed to decriminalization, because they can still swoop you up if they feel like it.

Traffic laws are a good example of what I mean. There's speed limits and stop signs, but they're not heavily enforced. People drive 5 mph over the limit and roll through the stop signs, and it's not a big deal. This allows them to pull over basically anyone, at anytime they feel like, because everyone is breaking the law.

Decriminalization in many places is a definite possibility. I don't think it will ever be legalized, though. Something like 30% of America uses casually, and as long as it's illegal, it's a leash on a large portion of the population. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but this is how I feel on the subject.

dannkk,

Errol

Star
The state enjoys having criminals for citizens. They're not completely apposed to decriminalization, because they can still swoop you up if they feel like it.
I think you are right, dannkk; for sure it is a big reason for law enforcement agencies to oppose legalization. A world with lots of criminals, most of whom are not at all dangerous, suits them fine. The government likes it too; in both cases it is a lever to use on people if they ever need it. This is true as long as laws remain on the books, even if they are not much enforced. Until quite recently homosexuals were in this position here (Australia); anti-gay laws have not been enforced for decades, but while they were still on the books, they discouraged gays from politics and public life.

There is also the international dimension. The "War on Drugs" gives the US an excuse to have assorted narcs, intelligence networks, "trainers" and surveillance drones active in foreign countries, and they are not going to want to give that up.

Errol,
Reactions: vorrange

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
You think 1 out of 4 people smoke weed on a regular basis in America?

I'm sure in places like cali it's everyone and their mother but it's not like that in the majority of the country.

Tea Party,

dannkk

I'm sure in places like cali it's everyone and their mother but it's not like that in the majority of the country.

Casually =/= Regularly.

dannkk,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

I respectfully disagree. There are MANY people that do it that would never admit it. That's why I'm going with 25%. :) In fact, it may even be higher considering all the "closet tokers."

Vicki,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

I think 25% is probably about right... but I'm in California, and we're all hippies here so my perception may be different.
:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: Vicki

weedemon

enthusiast
for the most part i am very private about my passion for pot(in real life). but once i get to know you i will share that info.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
^^ but it fucking sucks when the man taxes and/or locks you up! you become a "criminal" after this point and I think life fucking changes... the man takes away your rights making you powerless.

good bye rights. (access to jobs, freedom to travel, right to posess a weapon, the way you will be treated by society, and every cop you ever have to deal with ever again.

all over something that doesn't hurt anyone. what a joke.

weedemon,
Reactions: Vicki

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
We seem to be going back and forth here in the Netherlands. To be honest I think it will never be completely legal everywhere in the world. I'm afraid there will always be scared and ignorant people in a position to hold it back somewhere.

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: FLskwat
Top Bottom