How Big Will The MMJ movement Get?

esrever

Herb: best aphrodisiac and stereo tweak on Earth
A high growth industry, it may still be in its infancy.
Can only hope more states get on board. Feel like we are on the edge of an explosion
in all the cottage industries being spawned (such as vaporizers).

Only thing I can see slowing this down is a crackdown by the Feds. :o :uhoh: :mad:
At the risk of being politically incorrect, can envision someone like a Pres Perry
directing such a crackdown. Otherwise looks like lots of $$ will be flowing into the ganj biz.

Curious what others think...

esrever,

lwien

GREAT title for a thread. That could have meant anything...... :lol:

lwien,

crawdad

floatin
biojuggernaut said:
I would like to see hemp biofuel replace corn. :p

E85!

id rather eat corn or get high than fill up my tank.

to OP, maybe i misunderstood but the mmj "movement" needs laws (which take a lot of time), people just taking tokes does not. i think when the majority of a population is doing it then they will vote accordingly, because now they KNOW better.

crawdad,

djonkoman

biojuggernaut said:

E85!

biofuel probably won't last, we only have imited land on earth suitable for growing crops, if we fill that up with crops for biofuel there won't be room to grow food
especially with the growing world population and if poorer areas get richer and also want proper nutrition that's probably going to be a problem

suncells that store their collected energy as hydrogen or so would probably be much better, since some of the best areas for suncells are in the desert where we can't grow food anyway

djonkoman,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
lwien said:
GREAT title for a thread. That could have meant anything...... :lol:

word ... i thought it was a question about the effectiveness of male enhancement drugs.

Hippie Dickie,
djonkoman said:
biojuggernaut said:

E85!

biofuel probably won't last, we only have imited land on earth suitable for growing crops, if we fill that up with crops for biofuel there won't be room to grow food
especially with the growing world population and if poorer areas get richer and also want proper nutrition that's probably going to be a problem

suncells that store their collected energy as hydrogen or so would probably be much better, since some of the best areas for suncells are in the desert where we can't grow food anyway

Any normal car can be converted to E85 quite easily and conveniently. The dispute is that too much land is devoted to the growth of corn for biofuel that it is disrupting the market patterns for farmers also which influences the country as a whole. IF and only IF hemp was legalized the cash crop would now change. We all know what else hemp could be used for, paper etc. All these ideally would add stability to many industries in our falling economy imo. But I am just dreaming a little bit you know; a "what if" if you will.

I know Porsche has created an extremely effective electric vehicle so has chevy etc. But power and length of operation are typically very poor. On the other hand some dragsters run ethanol; not that it doesn't burn twice as fast as petrol *nudge* :D We will see though technology is a crazy thing.

biojuggernaut,

esrever

Don't disagree w you bio. But my thought is we have to get off cars period.
They are far too inefficient a way of moving ourselves around. That includes
electric cars as well. Neither our environment nor our wallets can afford them.
Instead we need to rely on walking, biking, scooters and maybe best of all electric bikes,
which have much potential for being solar powered because of their minimal mass.
Off thread-topic, I know. It is important though, and not discussed enough.

Hemp, however is closely related to all things mj, and it is a crime we do not use it.
Another subject that needs more discussion nationwide, as it it such a useful and
sustainable product. There are a few mj related documentaries that touch on this.
I have yet to hear any rationale reason for making hemp illegal.

esrever,

SD_haze

The dispute is that too much land is devoted to the growth of corn for biofuel that it is disrupting the market patterns for farmers also which influences the country as a whole. IF and only IF hemp was legalized the cash crop would now change. We all know what else hemp could be used for, paper etc. All these ideally would add stability to many industries in our falling economy imo. But I am just dreaming a little bit you know; a "what if" if you will.

dont forget:

if hemp was legalized and grown heavily in america for biofuel or whatever, it would effectively kill or at the very least largely disrupt (mostly northern california's) super potent seedless outdoor grow fields.

(cannabis pollen can travel miles and miles and is especially tenacious; vast fields growing hemp would eventually cover all of America :o)

disclamer: im no scientist but a scientist was the one who wrote the article i read :lol:

SD_haze,

happyhippe

Semi Vaporist
I like your thinking. Im daydreaming right now about waking up at 10 and being like man im glad the suns not in my eyes but wait....why.... theres giant Mj plants everywhere!!!! i cant even see out my window. and cali should be ok. haha

happyhippe,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
One must look at history and will be the judge of how big it will get, then the downward spiral. Look at the industrial revolution, and The Tobacco industry.

We where the leaders in production for about 100 years, then all of the sudden it got outsourced, and look tobacco, very cheap to produce then all of a sudden the feds, state, and locals wanted to tax the hell out of it. I see a price drop at first then taxes, unions, and then come the price hikes, and finally the outsourcing begins.

It is a wave up and then down.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

SD_haze

THC SCIENTIFIC said:
One must look at history and will be the judge of how big it will get, then the downward spiral. Look at the industrial revolution, and The Tobacco industry.

We where the leaders in production for about 100 years, then all of the sudden it got outsourced, and look tobacco, very cheap to produce then all of a sudden the feds, state, and locals wanted to tax the hell out of it. I see a price drop at first then taxes, unions, and then come the price hikes, and finally the outsourcing begins.

No doubt it will be up & down but tobacco is a lot shittier to grow for your own personal consumption compared to cannabis so the homegrown industry probably wouldn't disappear too fast

SD_haze,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
SD_haze said:
THC SCIENTIFIC said:

No doubt it will be up & down but tobacco is a lot shittier to grow for your own personal consumption compared to cannabis so the homegrown industry probably wouldn't disappear too fast

The government will make it so that it will dwindle down to moonshine stage which is pretty small compared to right now. They will not allow home grown if they are going to tax it.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

An Ita

Just dope
Personally, I hope the MMJ fad dies out.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad to know that many people have been able to easily find a variety of quality buds and bud-based products. I am all for patients having the best and easiest possible access to marijuana, as well as the freedom to grow their own.

Only now I see what a waste of time and energy it is. What a distraction it actually is.

So much energy and time has to be invested in each state, just so that a few of that states' marijuana users can have semi-legal access to marijuana.
Semi-legal access that is constantly under threat from both the federal government, and revisions and additional restrictions imposed by local governments.

Dispensaries set up shop, begin supplying patients, and Wham!, one day the dispensary is shut down because for some reason or another, it has become illegal again. They change the rules mid-stream, making it nearly impossible to actually plan for having a stable business or consistent and safe access to medicine.

Many people are rightfully wary of involving themselves in these programs, even though their situation or condition may make them eligible to 'get their card'. Who wants to be on a list or registered somehow as being a user of a most hated and federally illegal drug? I understand those who remain anonymous and continue to procure their weed only on the black market.

There are those who genuinely believe that cannabis should only be available for those who use it medicinally and officially. In my opinion they can get fucked. They're just prohibitionists. No matter how compassionate they may be towards those who they feel are deserving of cannabis access, they can get fucked.

It makes much more sense to work towards winning freedom for everyone, and winning it once, instead of winning a little bit of freedom for some of us, 50 freakin times. And then having to watch those 'freedoms' be eroded and usurped and limited, state after state. Makes me sick.

And perpetuating the idea that one must needs have a doctor recommend the use of marijuana to make it acceptable is no longer palatable to me.

Medical marijuana programs do not help the industrial hemp side of the issue at all, either.

tl?;dr? I think that MMJ programs are a time-wasting distraction from the actual issues. Make it legal for everyone and patients will have no problem with safe access.

An Ita,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
An Ita,

That was well put. :)

I am not sure how big the MMJ movement will get because movements like this tend to wax and wayne quite a bit IMO.

I, too, dislike the instability of the nubile legal MMJ policies and their coexistance with unchanged, archaic federal laws, as well as the need for a doctor to prescribe something that appears to be able to be used safely recreationally. I also wish that hemp as a potentially superior/sustainable fuel/food/fiber/oxygen source would be explored and utilized appropriately. :rolleyes:

However, would anyone reading this prefer to go back to how MMJ (and recreational MJ) was treated 10 or 20 years ago to get laws to meet your idea of what would be best for society; rather than developing more logical and responsible MJ legislation on current policies/outcomes? :shrug:

I am somewhat convinced that society has abandoned misguided beliefs in exchange for a more logic-driven paradigm, but still has quite a long way to go (and will hopefully continue to progress).

I guess we will see how big the MMJ movement will get (in our lifetimes, that is ;) ).

This was a great way to pass the time while I wait for (yet another) oil change, and dream of my hemp-powered car that requires fewer oil changes (and less time spent waiting). :lol:

I hope these rambles were worth the read. :)

Well, toke it easy (I'm going back to use the MFLB in the room with the coffee brewing). :cool:

Progress,

esrever

No doubt many share your frustrations, An Ita. It is ridiculous and absurd
the way we treat mj and hemp in this country. But change often comes in
small steps, bit by bit. Momentum is building and we can only hope critical
mass of public opinion is not too far off. Today's St Pete Times has a
letter to the ed supporting legalization. A good example of the kind of
noise that needs to be made.

Gotta wonder how much resistance big pharma is putting up and whether
they, not the Feds, are the real enemy. Big biz runs this country, but with
enough public outcry I believe a tipping point can be reached where politicians
have to put our interests above that of lobbyists and corporate America.
At least concerning the issue of mj. But people need to make their voices heard.
We, at FC, can be a big part of that. And that is the primary motivation
behind starting this thread.

esrever,

happyhippe

Semi Vaporist
It makes much more sense to work towards winning freedom for everyone, and winning it once, instead of winning a little bit of freedom for some of us, 50 freakin times. And then having to watch those 'freedoms' be eroded and usurped and limited, state after state. Makes me sick.

Perfectly put, i couldnt have said it better. Genius

happyhippe,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm also with An Ita on this. MMJ is, in my opinion, a dangerous trap. As I've written elsewhere, once Big Pharma gets their hands on it there will be patents and protection, not freer access. The cost will go through the roof. Recreational users will be in more danger of prosecution than ever.

pakalolo,

happyhippe

Semi Vaporist
Never thought of it like that, i hope we arnt in more danger. I really dont want pfizer growing it. or an otc seller like walmart either. Ha Walmart weeds i can see the store now

happyhippe,
Top Bottom