Discontinued Hopper io

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Cheesequake

So you are noticing what I did in the first user video with the io?
Vapor is not instant, only instant I see is that the lights come on when you click the button but the heater is not at temp yet. Seems almost the same time as the OG Hoppers.

My over 3 year old SS hopper has never had an RMA and gets a hot backend, even with a brand new backend direct from HL it still gets hot. I have cleaned the threads with blu-tak as well as a very fine sharp point to physically remove any residue from the threads.

What I have started to do it to load my Hopper and set it at 5 and click it on and wait for blue.
Count to 5 and click off and wait for a few seconds to allow the vape and bud to heat up a bit.
Then click it on again and let it rip! Very fast vapor production.

Unfortunately my Hopper performs best at 5 and fairly well at 4.5. Anything less is not worth the herb.

Today I have thoroughly cleaned the threads again on the Hopper and backend.
I will charge using the magnetic charger and leave the battery in to see if that helps.

If the io is more consistent and I can better flavor by using lower settings than my OG SS then I will be a happy camper!!

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Vapor is not instant, only instant I see is that the lights come on when you click the button but the heater is not at temp yet. Seems almost the same time as the OG Hoppers.
Yep, definitely. I've been letting the io heat up for about the same amount of time the OG hopper takes to go blue and I've been getting slightly better results. I'll really be able to tell whether you need a heatup time or not when the power adapter arrives I think. My gut tells me all the batteries I have just aren't enough to properly drive the io but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Yep, definitely. I've been letting the io heat up for about the same amount of time the OG hopper takes to go blue and I've been getting slightly better results. I'll really be able to tell whether you need a heatup time or not when the power adapter arrives I think. My gut tells me all the batteries I have just aren't enough to properly drive the io but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I am hoping the @maxvapor710 adapter will end our woes with all the GH models!
This has been the ONLY battery powered vape I have stuck with and use continually.
The new batteries and power adapter should breathe new life into our Hoppers!

At the end of the day, how realistic is instant vapor anyway?
It would be interesting to hear @Hopper Labs points of view on what exactly i.o. means in their world.
Maybe some graphs showing heat up time at click? We love graphs and charts here!!

Still excited to get my i.o.!!!
70 Watts of RAW power! I really want to experience different settings to see what it can really do!

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
no one has a laser temp gun? maybe shoot it into the screen?

Also this
https://fortune.com/2020/03/30/usps...y-could-shutter-june-coronavirus-relief-bill/

I wonder if we'll be getting our IO hoppers quicker ? I thought these were being shipped April 1st? They stil haven't made an official post that it's shipping. If they don't speed up tons of us who've already paid will likely never see their hopper.
Estimate always just said April, never April 1st from what I've seen.

MonkeyTime

Are these shipping from Colorado Springs? I thought they were in Boulder.... Not sure what I have coming from CS!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If they don't speed up tons of us who've already paid will likely never see their hopper.
I think it's extremely likely that the USPS will survive to deliver more hoppers; this will not be a problem.
If HL has not received the shipment of batteries to put in the box with the io, they can't ship, no matter how much they speed up.

Hey, @Hopper Labs what's the word on the batteries? Weren't you supposed to have an initial batch by now?

SquirrelMaster

Did either the GHB1 or GHB1 have amperage ratings? I don't see a mention of it on Hopper's site and the same goes for the GHB3.

I unintentionally came across the product page on Herbalizestore and the picture shows the GHB2 as a 750mAh battery. @Hopper Labs what is the capacity of the GHB3 battery, is there an increase compared to previous batteries?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
no one has a laser temp gun? maybe shoot it into the screen?

I have a k-type thermocouple I'm happy to use, to test. It's a chore to do with the limited power the few batteries I have.

I do feel the io is quicker, and has a slightly different vapor signature (but largely the same) but I agree with @Cheesequake - I would feel much more comfortable with a stronger powersource than these old, matte label batteries i currently am using...

Mr. Me2

I have a k-type thermocouple I'm happy to use, to test. It's a chore to do with the limited power the few batteries I have.

I do feel the io is quicker, and has a slightly different vapor signature (but largely the same) but I agree with @Cheesequake - I would feel much more comfortable with a stronger powersource than these old, matte label batteries i currently am using...
I think we’re all gonna have to wait out the pandemic for next gen batteries. Just my :2c:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I unintentionally came across the product page on Herbalizestore and the picture shows the GHB2 as a 750mAh battery. @Hopper Labs what is the capacity of the GHB3 battery, is there an increase compared to previous batteries?
This is what I want to know too. Are the characteristics/specs the same (and forget the exterior matting or finish - unless it has direct bearing on performance)? I’m guessing it’s more of the same just a new batch by the same supplier. I believe HL was also working with a second supplier perhaps as contingency. I’d have to think the specs would be the same for both, and I think GBH3 same as GBH2.

What fascinates me more is making the io more efficient in how it handles the battery and power. That’s good stuff. What ain’t so good is that we’re constantly at the mercy of 16850s and the last year has been largely devoid of new batteries for sale. Can’t use a Hopper without them - unless you go the Maxvapor710 route, but then portability goes out the window.

Happy Humpday to all. Hope everyone is staying safe.:peace:

ChooChooCharlie

...What fascinates me more is making the io more efficient in how it handles the battery and power. That’s good stuff. ...:peace:

After that 11 chamber io test post, realized I had never run this test on older units

Tested yesterday: 2017 SS, used same battery, same 35 sec draw one hit, 4 on dial

Result: 2017 unit yielded 8 chambers, died near end of 8th

Hopper Labs io claim:

io-batt-40.jpg

Verified!

If I give the 2017 unit a score of 7.9, to be fair, then

(7.9) x (1.4) = 11

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If I give the 2019 unit a score of 7.9, to be fair, then

(7.9) x (1.4) = 11
I see what you're doing with the math there...;)

I recall @Hopper Labs saying, back when this batch of batteries had been ordered and the boys had been to China, that these would have some slight tweaks over previous batteries. I think the bigger improvements are to the io's efficiency, as Charlie points out.

Measured specs can vary, I've seen it pointed to in the 18650 market, There's the 'rating' number and then there's the actual output, which varies from brand to brand of battery. So the new batts may have the same output rating but in use could perform better than previous batches.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I would expect the same capacity rating but hopefully more consistency as far as each battery actually having that capacity. There could also be more consistency with voltage and resistance too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe...per_ghb1_battery_750mah_bench_test_resultsan/

Another disadvantage to a custom cell is there is no secondary market to sell b-stock to. That means HL has to sell the sub-par batteries to customers or write them off as a loss. Ideally they would not be selling them but I suspect that they do. In my experience 20% of the GHB2 batteries I purchased had a shorter battery life and ran a little “colder” than the rest.

The problem with the GHB1s was consistency: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe...er_ghb1_battery_750mah_bench_test_resultsan/?

Make sure to check out that Reddit link, there's great info there. The average capacity of that sample of GHB1s was 570mAh.

Basically, with other standardized sizes such as 18650, the b-stock often gets sold to third parties and is rebranded. With the Grasshopper's battery being a custom size, there is no such market for this b-stock and so it gets sold alongside the a-stock.

It seems like the GHB2s are much more consistent but there are still bad ones being mixed in here and there. Also note that there is no warranty whatsoever on Grasshopper batteries.

There is also the possibility that GHB3s will have more durable wrappers and more charging cycles. I came across an interesting post discussing the battery lengths and how they can affect performance and cause a hot backend so perhaps that will be another area we see more consistency.

I haven't seen any real difference in performance of my 1 vs 2 rev batteries but on the other hand I haven't tried to measure capacity in any sort of accurate way. But just from using them, I don't see a difference.

What do see a difference in is the quality of the wrapper. My GHB1's wrapper was very easily damaged putting them in and out of the Nitecore charger. I have had the GHB2s for quite a while with no wrapper damage at all.

I also have the OG GHB2s with the lighter blue wrap and newer GHB2s with the darker, stronger wrap.
Sometime soon I should receive newer ones still.

The only spec difference and key reason anyone expected better performance from GHB2s was the stated charge cycle increase from 100-150 with GHB1s to 150-250 with GHB2s (not sure how accurate those numbers are).

In practice they seemed very similar, and generally I have gotten 6-10 months of daily use from any particular hopper battery before degradation is obvious, some have lasted beyond 12 months, but not the majority.

The new batteries may or may not rule out a number of issues. If they have better QC to ensure battery lengths are within appropriate tolerances to make good contact with both terminals inside the unit, this will rule out some issues with hot back end. Better QC to ensure that only adequately performing batteries are sold to end users and those that do not make the cut are disposed of or recycled may also be here with the new batteries. We don't really know though. Wouldn't it be great if someone from HL was on FC?

AFAIK we don't have very clear information on which specific issues have been resolved nor what any respective fix has been from HL.

I want to see a DC power adapter that allows for battery-free operation made for the unit so that we can begin to test all of these units with the Grasshopper's notoriously inconsistent batteries (this is based on my experience with many batteries, the GHB1 model - I have not used GHB2 batteries) removed from the equation. This would help users diagnose whether their problem lies with the battery or the unit itself. This would also give the hopper more use as an at-home driver (this thing is just not very smooth on the mouth/throat for direct draw use and this makes limited battery life and frequent battery changes a PITA if we use the hopper where it shines - huge rips through water).

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker

AJS

Calm Consistency

Everyone is wondering how “instant” the Hopper io is. Well, I tested it! I started inhaling right after clicking the button with no delay, and got vapor within, what I timed to be, 2.5 seconds of starting my inhale. That means you’re getting vapor before the original Grasshopper was even up to temp in nearly half the time.

Instant, when it comes to heat up time with vapes, is pretty much subjective. 5 seconds used to be considered “no heat up time”. So do with this information what you will.

This test was done at 4.2 on the dial.

Also, this is a test unit with old batteries. The preorder ones may have a software upgrade, and will have the newer batteries.

hopperhead

Everyone is wondering how “instant” the Hopper io is. Well, I tested it! I started inhaling right after clicking the button with no delay, and got vapor within, what I timed to be, 2.5 seconds of starting my inhale. That means you’re getting vapor before the original Grasshopper was even up to temp in nearly half the time.

Instant, when it comes to heat up time with vapes, is pretty much subjective. 5 seconds used to be considered “no heat up time”. So do with this information what you will.

Also, this is a test unit with old batteries. The preorder ones may have a software upgrade, and will have the newer batteries.
I suspect it would depend on how dry your herb is, as well as if it's freshly packed vs already vaped a couple draws.

I would guess if you hit the hopper twice and clicked it off and waited for it to cool down. The already twice hit bud would give a more instant feel to the vapor being produced

AJS

Calm Consistency
I suspect it would depend on how dry your herb is, as well as if it's freshly packed vs already vaped a couple draws.

I would guess if you hit the hopper twice and clicked it off and waited for it to cool down. The already twice hit bud would give a more instant feel to the vapor being produced
Oh absolutely. This was a cold start, so freshly packed bud and a cold hopper.
Back to back hits, the vapor is formed nearly instantly.

guyonthecouch

Convection devices usually have a minor delay as material is primed. The io reaches temp instantly, vapor production is depended on temp, material(strain, moisture etc) and lung power.. prob a couple other factors too.

Rudeboy - 27% - fresh - vapor comes on slowly.

GG4 - 19% - jar cured for 6 months - massive clouds almost instantly.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out

After spending more time with the IO I’ve noticed it does produce vapor faster than the OG grasshopper and the airflow is really good. I knew it would be possible to get it to produce that much vapor with a water piece, but I have not tried it. I’ve been using it dry since bong rips are not on my menu right now lol. Nice video

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
After spending more time with the IO I’ve noticed it does produce vapor faster than the OG grasshopper and the airflow is really good. I knew it would be possible to get it to produce that much vapor with a water piece, but I have not tried it. I’ve been using it dry since bong rips are not on my menu right now lol. Nice video
What temp or method do you use? With my OG Ti I’m currently & natively at 2.8-3.2, and before RMA it was a full setting higher. Curious what native folks are doing with the io. :peace:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
What temp or method do you use? With my OG Ti I’m currently & natively at 2.8-3.2, and before RMA it was a full setting higher. Curious what native folks are doing with the io. :peace:
I start at 3 usually, but yesterday I decided to start at 2.5, then 3, then 4, and finished it off at 5 once it was already hot and mostly spent. Oh forgot I am using it natively. I have a Ti performance front end too but haven’t used it because the IO has really good airflow already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom