honey oil from vaped herb?

stroh

errl enthusiast
yes you could, though depending on how "dark" you vape your herb, it might just be a waste of butane.

Butane mainly dissolves the THC in BHO, and doesn't really give you the full spectrum of CBDs/CBNs that you would get from ISO, but at the chance of increased plant material/chlorophyll being absorbed.

either way i personally wouldn't run my AVB with either solvent, and instead prefer to make edibles. i think flowers and frosty trim work the best for making quality oils.

stroh,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i read in a guide somewhere that butane (being nonpolar) mostly absorbs the THC (also non polar) and less of the CBDs/CBNs that are contained within the plant matter of buds, as the head of the trichome contains primarily THC. i always assumed it to be true as BHO tends to give me more of a head rush than ISO oil, which i attributed to there being more CBDs to regulate the mass quantities of THC. of course this is purely speculation, and other than the article which i can no longer locate, i have nothing to back my claims.

stroh,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i've also read that ISO is better at getting the full gamut of cannibinoids than butane, and that acetone is even better than ISO.

three different facets of the butane thing are all on this page: Butane BHO extraction - how to make amber oil
impurities that irritate the lungs,
removing waxes,
removing water soluables.

i loved butane tho, it was so easy, but guess i'm going to switch to ISO or acetone if i do that again (CBN over THC for me)

VWFringe,

Qbit

cannabanana
VWFringe said:
i loved butane tho, it was so easy, but guess i'm going to switch to ISO or acetone if i do that again (CBN over THC for me)

No not CBN (cannabinol) - that's just degraded THC. What you're after is CBD (cannabidiol). The are frequently confused.

Qbit,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
SKIP TO BELOW THE ASTERISKS FOR THE STRAIGHT INFO...sorry if my background story is too long...just thought it would provide more insight...

IMPORTANT EDIT: please make sure that you use a high percentage ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL or another nonpolar solvent that you know of to be safe & residue-free (id stick to isopropyl alcohol since its cheap & easy). but i havent read this posting in a while so please make sure that you consult or find a friend or someone who is familiar with this before you do this yourself if you are a beginner. also remember to thoroughly dry your stuff after youre finished with the water step. there is also a discussion out there (not made by me) if you google "water curing..." that may be helpful if you cant understand how i explain it.

or see this video here (not made by me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOYT4yuctE

wow. so ive definitely read through thousands of posts from fuckcombustion.com & always had something to say but never wanted to sign up just because of the risks of being linked to info like this. i even live in cali & do NOT have a Rx card for the same reasons. im one of those dudes that doesnt want info to be out there about me...but ive done some research (along with doing research in a chem lab @ a university in westwood...not THC related, but definitely some useful lab techniques & chemistry-related info from that is applicable to this subject) and i cannot contain myself any longer...so i broke down & signed up for an account because more people have to know about this - knowledge is infinite & spreads like fire!!!

other background info about me:

1. i have a volcano vape that i use (increase the heat bag-by-bag until its at the max - some people think this is as good as smoking, but my ganja is NEVER black nor shows any signs of combustion after these sessions...so i think its OK)

2. i just bought a magic flight launch box that im excited about & waiting for it to come in the mail (i plan on using my judgement about vaping out of the MFLB...i will put the post-vape in my "recyclables" container when i feel that i would rather work on vaping a new batch than worrying about the current one, as there is no dial setting like my volcano...thats what i PLAN on doing...so hopefully thats a good gameplan)

3. i hate wasting ANYTHING. whether it be ganja, food, money, or even time. one of the reasons i started vaping was to make the most out of my starting materials

anyways (long intro)...sorry if its too much info. YES it is true that you can use a high-percentage alcohol to extract THC, however, it tends to pick up other things, like the chlorophyll pigment, fertilizers, other contaminants (contaminants are not necessarily poisons, just non-THC substances) - which are unwanted ingredients in your extraction, if left to soak for too long. but, on the other hand, who knows whether the QWISO method extracts the most THC possible...like i said, i HATE wasting...

so, this is a way to get the most THC out of your post-vape material while avoiding the bullshit:

1. wait for some time to save up a nice amount of post vape (use your judgement - theres no official amount)...more = more.

2. put it in a pantyhose or something that will keep it together while separating it from its surroundings. if you wish to not use a pantyhose, just note that you will end up doing more straining & ultimately more work.

3. immerse it in water (NOT HOT & NOT COLD - just regular temperature water)...this will "wash" the ganja without removing its THC since THC is not soluble in room-temperature water. this step is called "curing" and is a good way to get rid of a lot of unwanted substances.

4. discard the old water & replace it with fresh water once a day for a whole week. doing this will be sure to rid your product of a lot of unwanted chlorophyll and other substances. renewing the water makes sure that the ganja is not just sitting there in a pool of its own waste. by waiting a day to change the water each time gives the water a good amount of time to remove waste.

5. after a week of soaking it in daily-renewed water, spread the ganja out & dry (with a food dehydrator, blow-dryer, your oven, a fan, your farts, or whatever you can use without blowing it away too much). make sure it is nice & dry from the water so it doesnt get moldy & all of the water is gone.

6. after it is dry, put it in the freezer for about 3 hours (use your own judgement)

7. while it is still cold, soak it in a nice grade alcohol. 99% is hard to find out here in socal grocery stores/pharmacies, so i just use a 91%...that pretty much means there is 9% water in the rest of it (which has a higher boiling point & takes a bit longer to evaporate off).

8. mix, swirl, & mash up your alcohol/ganja combination & store in a sealed GLASS bottle in a dark area for 3 - 6 days (use your judgement & it depends on how patient you can be). do not use plastic because a lot of plastics can become corroded by high-grade alcohols. remember to shake it up every once in a while. you can keep the sealed bottle in a double-layer of brown paper bags or under your bed or whatever. pretty much keep it away from sunlight (& your mom!).

9. now, since all the chlorophyll & waste is already removed (from the water), it does not really matter how long it is stored in alcohol for. so all you gotta do now is strain it, NOW throw away your post-vape ganja, & work on evaporating your alcohol in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. you can use the fan under most kitchen sinks to let most of the alcohol vapors safely escape. you can use a rice-cooker (keep it outside & the lid off).

10. what you will end up with is a NICE COLORED THC OIL. it wont be dark, thick, & full of chlorophyll...what is left is pretty much PURE THC.

it may be time consuming, but that is how to get the MOST THC out of your post vape.

QUICK SUMMARY:

1. soak up post vape in H2O, refreshing the H2O every day for 1 week.
2. dry the post vape somewhat quickly so mold doesnt fester
3. freeze the post vape
4. soak it in high-grade alcohol, store in a dark place, & agitate it often
5. strain the post vape from the alcohol & discard the post vape
6. SAFELY evaporate the alcohol
7. ENJOY!!!

sorry for the full-length of it, but i figured some people may appreciate the science behind why each step is critical...let me know how it turns out.

give it a shot...what have you got to lose anyways? post vape!??!!??!

akwardsauce,
Reactions: Rocco

weedemon

enthusiast
hey man welcome to FC and im glad you decided to join us and share your thoughts.

I have heard of water curing before. but never tried it yet.

what kind of return do you get when doing this method? I have a lot of abv (post vape) saved up and would probably try this with an oz to start.

You have heard of QWISO? I am assuming the water cure method accomplishes the same thing?

I should try both method with an oz each and see what happens :)

thanks for sharing with us dude :)

has anyone else tried this method of making oil?

weedemon,

akwardsauce

weedemon said:
hey man welcome to FC and im glad you decided to join us and share your thoughts.

I have heard of water curing before. but never tried it yet.

what kind of return do you get when doing this method? I have a lot of abv (post vape) saved up and would probably try this with an oz to start.

You have heard of QWISO? I am assuming the water cure method accomplishes the same thing?

I should try both method with an oz each and see what happens :)

thanks for sharing with us dude :)

has anyone else tried this method of making oil?

you know, thats a good question...i always assumed the yields would be the same due to the chemistry behind it, but i never did a scientific test to prove it...i always just did it because i prefer my extract as pure as possible. i will definitely try to do a test for the yields under the two methods for extraction. i do know the qwiso method - however does anyone know how the yield of qwiso compares to the yield when alcohol has had a longer time to extract nonpolar molecules?

i wish i had an actual scale at home (a real laboratory one) that i could measure starting and ending substances. however, i can already foresee some other variables in this experiment too (such as ganja quality, vaping method & timing, etc...). i wish there was a way for me to find out all of these answers for sure...

very interesting stuff...

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
I have a qp to a hp of abv saved up. I can perform this test! :) i will try to mix the jar up nicely to get as even a mix from my abv as possible. it's a lot of different strains over quite some time :p probably 2 years worth.

I will use a qwiso extraction method after performing the water cure on an oz of abv from my storage. then do the same qwiso extraction on a regular oz of abv and compare the returns.

also if you can see any future use for a scale they are cheap man! :p I bought mine over 10 years ago and its still going. it's only accurate to 0.1 of a gram, but for me that is plenty!

Maybe I will try 3 ways actually.

1. standard QWiso wash on an oz of abv.
2. one oz water cured and then QWiso'd
3. one oz water cured, and then soaked in 99% iso for a week.
and to mix things up for the hell of it, an oz ran as bho?

I will report back with my findings. this is gonna take a while though! haha

P.S how are you liking your mflb??

weedemon,

Qbit

cannabanana
Hey Awkwardsauce, I linked to your extraction method post here on another forum, and a guy tried it and ended up with horrible unsmokeable, unvapeable hash oil. We worked out that the probem was that he was using 95% drinking alcohol, which unlike iso, leaves residue (sugars and stuff, as I understand it). You didn't specify what type of alcohol to use in your post, so maybe an edit would be in order. Mind you had I noticed that detail, I could have advised him myself.

BTW here's that thread, starting with the my post where I gave the link. And the guy who tried it is called 'm0sh'.

Qbit,

Qbit

cannabanana
weedemon said:
I have a qp to a hp of abv saved up. I can perform this test! :) i will try to mix the jar up nicely to get as even a mix from my abv as possible. it's a lot of different strains over quite some time :p probably 2 years worth.

I will use a qwiso extraction method after performing the water cure on an oz of abv from my storage. then do the same qwiso extraction on a regular oz of abv and compare the returns.

also if you can see any future use for a scale they are cheap man! :p I bought mine over 10 years ago and its still going. it's only accurate to 0.1 of a gram, but for me that is plenty!

Maybe I will try 3 ways actually.

1. standard QWiso wash on an oz of abv.
2. one oz water cured and then QWiso'd
3. one oz water cured, and then soaked in 99% iso for a week.
and to mix things up for the hell of it, an oz ran as bho?

I will report back with my findings. this is gonna take a while though! haha

P.S how are you liking your mflb??

Sounds good, Weedemon, I'll be very curious to hear how it turns out. :)

Qbit,

akwardsauce

Qbit said:
Hey Awkwardsauce, I linked to your extraction method post here on another forum, and a guy tried it and ended up with horrible unsmokeable, unvapeable hash oil. We worked out that the probem was that he was using 95% drinking alcohol, which unlike iso, leaves residue (sugars and stuff, as I understand it). You didn't specify what type of alcohol to use in your post, so maybe an edit would be in order. Mind you had I noticed that detail, I could have advised him myself.

BTW here's that thread, starting with the my post where I gave the link. And the guy who tried it is called 'm0sh'.

yo dude thanks for that...i tried to edit my posts on here but i placed it in like 3 spots at that time...but i edited all 3 and referred a video, too.

i tried to sign in to the website where u had that conversation, but i didnt have an account there...oh well, i hope i didnt post it anywhere else & i hope people understand that they should use stuff that evaporates cleanly without residues...

& weedemon, check the vid i added to my post out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOYT4yuctE , in case you wanted a quick visual...

id love to know the results of your experiment...saving up for 2 years really pays off when youre vaping. im really excited to learn about your yields...if you want to try an extra ounce or so & get impatient, you may want to try to cure a batch for less days & see if that effects the yield or quality. you have enough supply to find out so much good info!!! thats awesome dude! if you could find that a whole week doesnt need to be spent water curing, that would totally be useful info! how will you dry your wet stuff?

akwardsauce,

Qbit

cannabanana
akwardsauce said:
& weedemon, check the vid i added to my post out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOYT4yuctE , in case you wanted a quick visual...
You claim in your video here that water curing will increase the amount of tHC in your bud. I can see how it would increase the concentration by removing water soluble substances, thereby leaving your cannabinoids in reduced-mass weed, but actually increasing the amount of THC you've got? Doesn't make sense to me.

Qbit,

weedemon

enthusiast
not sure how i will dry it yet. suggestions are welcome! i don't own a dehydrator or dessication dish :D

weedemon,

akwardsauce

Qbit said:
akwardsauce said:
You claim in your video here that water curing will increase the amount of tHC in your bud. I can see how it would increase the concentration by removing water soluble substances, thereby leaving your cannabinoids in reduced-mass weed, but actually increasing the amount of THC you've got? Doesn't make sense to me.

its actually not my video so i didnt really claim that. but you are right, only the concentration (ratio of ingredients to mass) shall be altered...this will not add extra molecules of THC or anything like that.

i guess the guy who made the video didnt really think about what he meant to say there...

weedemon, if you look at that video, there is a "dehydrator" made in it...instead of using the crate as a platform to pass air through your ganja, maybe you may want to use a cheese cloth or something? since you probably wont be working with intact buds but ground up material instead?

maybe you would be good if you spread it around until its really flat & thin on a surface like that or something?

other things i have done was to search for a dehydrator on craigslist & i have seen people try to get rid of them for like $10 or even less...not a bad tool to have since you got so much material...anyone have any other ideas?

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
I was just thinking on a cookie sheet and then either using a hair dryer or the oven at the lowest setting.

I live at home with my folks atm and can't be making any ghetto box dehydrators here :p

weedemon,

akwardsauce

haha i was wondering about that...you must have your ABV stored in a really secret place then!

ya i think the oven would work really nice...since the lowest temp on an oven is around 300 F or so, right? i guess the vaped material has already been subjected to at least 350F, so it should dry nicely @ the low oven setting without losing anything...im assuming...

the hairdryer/cookie sheet idea sounds like a lot of boring work...its your experiment & im already feeling lazy just thinking about expending all that tender loving care to dry the ABV...

i think oven is your best bet...lemme know how it goes because i may just start doing the oven from now on...my friend had a dehydrator, but she moved so i havent really done the process in a while...

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
I will probably do the oven method also.

I began my experiment today. It is going to take 2.25 weeks minimum for get all this done, probably a bit longer. I started the write up so I will just have to fill in the blanks as i get to each stage. Doing it up as a proper experiment as I would have for school! :p haha well the best I can remember anyways :p

gonna be interesting to find out what method is best.

all in all i have settled on 5 methods:
1. Quick Wash iso extraction. 1 oz of abv, + iso in the freezer and a 30second shake
2. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + Quick Wash iso extraction
3. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + 1 week freezer iso extraction
4. An oz ran as bho normally
5. An oz ran as bho after a 1 week water cure has been performed

weedemon,

akwardsauce

weedemon said:
I will probably do the oven method also.

I began my experiment today. It is going to take 2.25 weeks minimum for get all this done, probably a bit longer. I started the write up so I will just have to fill in the blanks as i get to each stage. Doing it up as a proper experiment as I would have for school! :p haha well the best I can remember anyways :p

gonna be interesting to find out what method is best.

all in all i have settled on 5 methods:
1. Quick Wash iso extraction. 1 oz of abv, + iso in the freezer and a 30second shake
2. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + Quick Wash iso extraction
3. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + 1 week freezer iso extraction
4. An oz ran as bho normally
5. An oz ran as bho after a 1 week water cure has been performed

i would say that is perfect...the only thing you may want to test is varying the water curing for a few days (maybe try like 3 days or 5 days or something)...but that is if you have enough...looks like you are already going through 5 ounces...

i probably have about a 1/2 oz myself & my living situation right now is that i do not have so many days in a row where i can pay attention to this stuff...nor do i have a reliable scale that would really be necessary to analyze the data...

but the best part is, once you find the most efficient method, you can just run the other 4 ounces through that one & reclaim the rest!

im so curious to find out what you do...thanks man for doing all this work for us...this is probably the first experiment (online at least) that will ever test these variables!

id say there are probably 2-3 objectives to consider for this experiment:

1. quality of oil (color & consistency)
2. potency of oil (may be directly related to ABV & color/consistency but maybe not...)
3. amount yielded from each method

there may be different methods that are strong in different areas...i guess we should have defined what we are looking for before starting the tests...

any other objectives that you can think of that would matter to us (who reclaim the goodies from ABV)?

weedemon, what were you gonna do with all this stuff before you decided to do these tests? what used to be your preferred way of reclaiming?

edit: you probably already know this but the oven drying step will probably be the only problematic step. you may have to be around & keep an eye on it like its some kind of souffle or something...would hate to hear that you wasted all of your time & effort on that step...my guess is maybe like 5-10 minutes at the lowest oven setting?

but ill probably have to refer back to you when i do all of this to confirm...

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
i'm going to do a 7 day water cure for now, and then once this is all concluded I will check out the time length for a cure and see how it is affected. If water cure turns out the be the best method :p

I figure I still have about half of my original supply so I am probably closer to 6 or 7 oz than 8 like i originally thought. We will see what i have left when we are all done! :)

Exciting and I agree never heard of anyone else doing this experiment so maybe I am breaking new frontiers of vaproizer abv reclaim science! :D

Regarding my plans with all this abv. I wasn't really sure yet. I was thinking i would make a ton of oil and then maybe use it as gifts for friends. I already made a batch of butter and that shit is also really good, but i used bud stems, and abv so i'm not surprised it's potent.

just got back from work so it's time to get medicated! some master kush bho maybe? :brow: :ko:

the oven step will be a sensitive stage i totally agree. and yes i'm going to babysit the oven when it's in there! haha my own goes as low as 170F so I will be using that:) my buddy has an oven that goes down to 150. but i think 170 will be fine :) i purge my oil at 170F and don't notice any problems.

I plan on making a new post when this experiment is all done. I think it deserves it's own thread when it's ready!

after 7 h the water already looks like red/brown tea.

*edit on day 3 of the water cure so far. every time i change that water it smells so rank. like super strong tea. nasty! lol

weedemon,
weedemon said:
i'm going to do a 7 day water cure for now, and then once this is all concluded I will check out the time length for a cure and see how it is affected. If water cure turns out the be the best method :p

I figure I still have about half of my original supply so I am probably closer to 6 or 7 oz than 8 like i originally thought. We will see what i have left when we are all done! :)

Exciting and I agree never heard of anyone else doing this experiment so maybe I am breaking new frontiers of vaproizer abv reclaim science! :D

Regarding my plans with all this abv. I wasn't really sure yet. I was thinking i would make a ton of oil and then maybe use it as gifts for friends. I already made a batch of butter and that shit is also really good, but i used bud stems, and abv so i'm not surprised it's potent.

just got back from work so it's time to get medicated! some master kush bho maybe? :brow: :ko:

the oven step will be a sensitive stage i totally agree. and yes i'm going to babysit the oven when it's in there! haha my own goes as low as 170F so I will be using that:) my buddy has an oven that goes down to 150. but i think 170 will be fine :) i purge my oil at 170F and don't notice any problems.

I plan on making a new post when this experiment is all done. I think it deserves it's own thread when it's ready!

after 7 h the water already looks like red/brown tea.

*edit on day 3 of the water cure so far. every time i change that water it smells so rank. like super strong tea. nasty! lol

How did you make/prepare your stems? should I decarb them?

biojuggernaut,

weedemon

enthusiast
biojuggernaut said:
How did you make/prepare your stems? should I decarb them?

I am not using any stems in this experiment :p that was just in my butter i made. boiling them in my water and butter is more than enough to get the extraction.

to day marks the last day of my water changing. tomorrow I will dry my abv out. unfortunately my folks didn't go away this weekend. so that means I'm gonna have to figure something out about how to dry my stash quickly. I may just wait till they are in bed and just use the kitchen then :D

weedemon,
Top Bottom