Holy Piatella

florduh

bubble hash "bag" frozen fresh ...

"
Here's an outline of the process:
1. Starting with top-quality premium resin is absolutely essential. This requires washing exceptional fresh frozen cannabis material and then freeze drying the loose resin. Full-melt, 6-star hash should be the starting point.
2. The loose resin will be in a sand-like consistency as soon as it comes out of the freeze dryer. Place the resin inside of a vacuum sealing bag, like a food-safe cellophane wapping. Then, using a vacuum sealing machine, remove all the air from inside the bag. This step allows the resin to essentially "melt" without using any heat, just time in the absence of air.
3. The vacuum seal will squeeze the loose resin into a brick. This provides just the right amount of pressure to compress the loose resin without compromising the color. At this point, terpenes will likely begin to "sweat" out of the hash. The terpenes will interact chemically with the rest of the compounds in the resin, which is how the magical transformation occurs. This also leads to greater stability and shelf-life in the long-term.
4. Place this little brick in the freezer and leave it there for a couple months. The resin will congeal together as the trichomes will melt without losing color.
"

Well.... gonna have to try and track some down. Because I had some fancy 6 star a month or so ago and I still think about it. Just imagining 6 star as a STARTING material.....

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Only real negative is since you need full melt to start it's going to be a very low yield process.

Even in the dab happy California market I rarely see full melt. Much more emphasis on budget rosin these days, made from a conglomerate of filter bags.

The main benefit is all the effort to reduce oxidation, from starting with fresh frozen, to freeze drying, then vacuum sealing out the excess oxygen. To be fair, vacuum sealed hash is far from new, but I'm sure it's a pretty fantastic experience as a "sum-of-all-parts" thing; especially with terpene rich cultivars likely chosen specifically for the process.

Kind of interesting they didn't actually win first place in the contest though....
Not that that does or doesn't mean anything, but if it was such a life changing experience you'd think it would have took home the gold.

Just imagining 6 star as a STARTING material.....

710labs Persy all starts with 6 star, but I prefer the flavor and effects from melt as it's not been "flash pasteurized."

There's just not enough to go around 😩
I never see 710labs melt anymore either.

GoldenBud

Even in the dab happy California market I rarely see full melt. Much more emphasis on budget rosin these days, made from a conglomerate of filter bags.
6 star hash is rare because from 300gr dry top shelf you get maybe 60gr of dried bubble hash or so, and it is harder to create than rosin i think? much more time and effort...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
6 star hash is rare because from 300gr dry top shelf you get maybe 60gr of dried bubble hash or so, and it is harder to create than rosin i think? much more time and effort...

It's more about choosing the right cultivars and growing/harvesting the resin properly.
You're looking for a specific size and maturity of glandular trichome to produce it.
The majority of the hash from a wash is not going to be clean enough to be full melt on its own, which is why hash rosin is so popular as you're filtering and refining the lower grades. As I noted above some companies even press their full melt into rosin. That said, a lot of hash makers don't even collect full melt separately as the yield is low, instead opting for a wider range of the most desirable trichomes. It seems like full melt was more popular before rosin became big as it was the only way to really get a dabbable solventless hash.

GoldenBud

It's more about choosing the right cultivars and growing/harvesting the resin properly.
You're looking for a specific size and maturity of glandular trichome to produce it.
you just need to find buds that came from a crazy shiney pheno, not somebody that took 1 seed and grew it
need to find specific pheno that has a lot of trichomes, and work with these nugs..
BUT, usually these people will not use their top nugs for hash, right?
just gotta find the specific grower that will use his nugs for hash
like this one, 1 pheno out of 30 seeds.. the smell of grapes were unbelieveable too (this one is not from the higher cola)
gl0000kiz.jpg

Farid

just imagine how much volume 2000gr take and how much volume 300gr take. huge different

The volumes are very similar because the density is different.

That said, fresh frozen bubble is a little bit more work, but mostly because you need to wash it a bit more, doing "carding" work on the bags with the sprayer to ensure you remove chlorophyll.

But the weight has no impact on difficulty.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
you just need to find buds that came from a crazy shiney pheno, not somebody that took 1 seed and grew it
need to find specific pheno that has a lot of trichomes, and work with these nugs..
BUT, usually these people will not use their top nugs for hash, right?
just gotta find the specific grower that will use his nugs for hash
like this one, 1 pheno out of 30 seeds.. the smell of grapes were unbelieveable too (this one is not from the higher cola)
gl0000kiz.jpg

With fresh frozen people are pretty much always using the entire plant, it doesn't really matter about using top colas or anything as the filter bags will separate the ideal trichomes. Before fresh frozen became big, bubble hash in America was typically a secondary process only made with trim.

Ten years ago people used to frequently give away good trim as they didn't know what to do with it. After the concentrate boom that all dried up. I used to vape popcorn nugs picked from trim for a few years when I didn't have any money for cannabis, growers would be happy to give it to you as they didn't like having that weight laying around as it carried the same penalties as proper nuggets.

The photo is a bit blurry, but the nugs in that picture appear to have very long capitate stalks, that's fairly common to see, it tends to give the illusion of looking very resinous but often times isn't.

GoldenBud

With fresh frozen people are pretty much always using the entire plant, it doesn't really matter about using top colas or anything as the filter bags will separate the ideal trichomes. Before fresh frozen became big, bubble hash in America was typically a secondary process only made with trim.
for 6 stars hash you shouldn't have any trim in the raw material afaik

i don't believe you need specific strain or pheno, just something very rich in thc/terpz, without trim.

i think trim as raw material will make the bubble hash product more dark colored?

GoldenBud,

GoldenBud

You can absolutely 100% get 6 star hash from trim. The quality of the hash comes from the quality of the trichs and trim can certainly be high quality.
you ever saw 6 star hash from trim? all the bubble hash I brought never looked like 6 stars, dark color, and was sticky and strong AF
@Farid the basic thing about 6 star that it requires top shelf material, and trim contains MAYBE 10% THC or 15%

Last edited:
GoldenBud,

Farid

Yes, at an event run by Frenchy (RIP). We probably made 4 or 5 star at the event, but some of what him and others brought was 6 star. All from sugar leaf mostly.

Like I said it's way easier to make. With buds you sometimes have to do 10 spins before it sheds the trichs, which is 10 opportunities to mess up.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Looks like the same process as making live hash rosin only you compress the hash by vacuum sealing rather than pressing it through a rosin bag. So it's live full melt that's been squeezed together? Looks great to me!

Fucking full melt is like $80-$90 a gram around here. I can only imagine what they're gonna charge for this.

GoldenBud

that is so weird. hash that looks awesome almost like the Piatella from trim?! damn.....
@BabyFacedFinster it's the article I likned to, in message #26 ... it's a good one for sure..

GoldenBud,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
It looks like they first made Piatella in Barcelona where it was named? So then you would pronounce the double L as a Y sound? Piateya?

Twizzy

The traditional-market California hash makers came back from Spannabis in Barcelona this past March talking up Piatella but I don't expect to see it on rec shelves any time soon

Twizzy,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
You can absolutely 100% get 6 star hash from trim. The quality of the hash comes from the quality of the trichs and trim can certainly be high quality.

Many people prefer trim because it's easier to work with and doesn't require tons of spins before shedding the trichs.
I have my doubts as to the flavour of trim hash vs bud hash.... I think the more leaf material involved the more acrid the taste, with cheap Moroccan hash being the worse example- absolutely no floral or sweet taste, just a brown acrid taste that nobody cares about.

I did try a butane extraction from fresh frozen bud once and noticed absolutely no difference in the final product. And of course fresh stuff is a lot bulkier so a lot more work. However, I did not use a vaccum oven or anything fancy to dry the extract.

A friend who does this professionally for over 10 years currently says that dry sift is the best extract, when done in near-freezing temperatures.

You can get crazy shiney pheno from taking 1 seed and growing it.... with a bit of luck and a good strain. The best herb is usually from small, non-commercially viable plants that only small batch connoisseur growers bother with and others reject due to low yield.

I also suspect that contact with plastic slightly degrades the material...Maybe wrap with parchment paper first, then vaccum?

Also- ratings are kinda dumb? Who decides what is "6-star"? The seller?

Last edited:

Farid

6 star hash will not have any leaf material, that's what makes it 6 star.

I agree with you that if you have contaminant in your hash, it will taste better if the contaminant is tiny pieces of buds rather than tiny pieces of leaf. But 6 star hash by definition will not have contaminant. And from an ice water hash production perspective its easier to ensure no contamination happens with trim than with bud because with bud you have to be more aggressive.

Most commercial hash like Moroccan is full of contaminant. But we are talking about making 6 star ice water hash, so Moroccan hash is kind of irrelevant.

Now I agree that dry sift is superior, and with dry sift I do not prefer trim. I prefer whole plant untrimmed. But thats not because the trichs are any different but because with dry sift the leaf is extremely brittle. It can more easily break than buds, meaning you have to be more gentle.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Jusr mentioned the Moroccan as an example of how flavour goes down the more leaf material is involved..

And from an ice water hash production perspective its easier to ensure no contamination happens with trim than with bud because with bud you have to be more aggressive.
You mean using whole buds in the mesh bags? How about manually breaking up the buds before washing?

Haze Mister,

Farid

I would not wash in the bag personally. I much prefer to wash in a vessel (or mixing machine), then put the hashy water from that wash through the screens.

You can certainly use buds, many do. It's just that you will likely need to spin longer, more times, and it will be more difficult to get the most of your product. If you don't care about yields then maybe it's not a problem.

Imagine your hash is a bunch of grains of sand glued to paper (the plant material). Working with trim is like trying to remove the sand from the paper as is - flat. Working with buds is like crumpling up the paper and trying to remove the sand.

Breaking up the buds helps expose some more surface area, but the process is involved, and if you're not wicked gentle you will smear the trichs into the buds making it impossible to remove them. The more annoying part is just having to do many many runs before the buds start shedding the trichs, vs just a handful with trim.

Plus trim is basically free, since tons of small time growers don't want to put the effort into processing it.

GoldenBud

You can get crazy shiney pheno from taking 1 seed and growing it.... with a bit of luck and a good strain. The best herb is usually from small, non-commercially viable plants that only small batch connoisseur growers bother with and others reject due to low yield.
usually very good weed doesn't come from 1 seed, it's from somebody that tried like 10-30 seeds and kept the best pheno, some people will tell that the "selection" needs to be done out of 50-100 seeds... you can get good weed from 1 seed without "selection" but it's rare and low chances comparing to open like 10-30 seeds, keep cuts in different place and see after you grow all the seeds which one is the best by potency/taste etc'
Also- ratings are kinda dumb? Who decides what is "6-star"? The seller?
6 star is something like this hash but much brighter color - as we know, THCA 100% has "clear" color and THCA 90% is very bright... it must be shiny too but I know for sure this hash in this picture is not 6 stars and probably not 5 because it has dark color - because it is made out of trim/mini nugs, not from bigger shiny nugs... trim has darker color than nugs, nugs contain much more THCA:chlorophyll ratio....
1686246812665.jpg

6 star hash will not have any leaf material, that's what makes it 6 star.
yeah because leaf material will make the hash darker?
Most commercial hash like Moroccan is full of contaminant. But we are talking about making 6 star ice water hash, so Moroccan hash is kind of irrelevant.
I agree

GoldenBud,
Top Bottom