Holy Piatella

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
no monkey mind, i may didn't explain well:
Sorry, I didn't mean any offence with that remark, I'm just saying I'm not the smartest person in the room...
it matters if you work with 50gr dry herb buds or 400gr WET nugs. different mass, different volume. how much cycles will it take? how much water do u need? how much ice do u need?
If those hypothetical buds are the same buds in different conditions then after you have reconstituted the dry buds with the water they should have a similar mass and similar volume. I do see your point that fresh frozen needs more work to separate the trichomes from the vegetal matter, but the amount of work isn't that much of a consideration if you're trying to make the best, it's about a refined process that primarily gives least contaminant.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

As for whether it's a trend or not, id like to make my own mind up by trying it, but like you I don't have access to those kinds of products so I just live vicariously through this forum.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
This whole thing is an extremely high level "spare no expense" or effort process... and as is with many "connoisseur" grade consumable products, efficiency and ROI often goes out the window... To me, from the outside, it's hard to argue that carefully extracted, specifically selected live material cold cured slowly in a vacuum is not a unique process and therefor likely to have unique results... whether or not these results are the "best", or even worth it, will always be debatable, no doubt.

Remember, there's people dabbing off diamond now...

GoldenBud

If those hypothetical buds are the same buds in different conditions then after you have reconstituted the dry buds with the water they should have a similar mass and similar volume. I do see your point that fresh frozen needs more work to separate the trichomes from the vegetal matter, but the amount of work isn't that much of a consideration if you're trying to make the best, it's about a refined process that primarily gives least contaminant.
Imagine inserting 400gr into the bucket, or insering 50gr into the bucket. different masses, different volume, it needs different amounts of cold water/ice.

maybe it even needs 4-7 more cycles to do it, a lot more work, but probably it will have more terpenes.

I am looking for somebody that can compare between these 2 methods, so far never seen somebody doing bubble hash from fresh buds/trim

@Farid just imagine 50gr dry buds vs 400gr wet buds .. different masses, different volumes
a lot more work because you have a lot of water inside the buds

link wet vs dry
then:
BUBBLE HASH MAKING TIPS:

First: It is all about the quality of the trichomes. Properly grown Cannabis flowers yield quality hash.

Second: Do not use infected/damaged materials to make hash (IMO).

Third: Is the debate on using fresh (still wet) trim versus using dried (and cured) trim. We'll get to that later. For now, use dried/cured trim, and let it soak for a good twenty minutes before beginning agitation.

this is for dry:

Making a simple unit to use in conjunction with your bubblemachine is easy.

You will need:
Two 5 gallon buckets
Drill with a large bit
One hydro table drain, 3/4" or bigger needed.
Hose to match your hydro drain, length depends on how far you far from the door.
One Crate

Directions:
1) Drill many holes in the bottom of one bucket.
2) Drill a hole in the bottom of the other bucket to insert the hydro table drain. I use a 1 7/16" hole saw. They usually sell conical drill bits just for this purpose at grow stores.
3) Sand the rough edges of the large hole, then insert the hydro drain and twist until tight.
4) Hook up your tubing to your hyrdo drain. Circle clamps make sure no leaks, if you bubble indoors like I do!
5) Send the tubing down through the top of the crate, then out the side. The 5 gallon bucket should sit right in the middle of the crate for safety.
6) You are done, congrats, wasn't that simple?

The bucket full of holes sits in the drain bucket. The bags go inside, small to large. The water drains away, making the whole process, when coupled with the XL, super easy.

"
"And this is the debate. The dispensary peeps I'm down with tell me that fresh is common these days. I've actually just finished a huge run of fresh/frozen trim. But, in all honesty, I still prefer to work with dry trim. The part about dry trim hash equaling garbage: A) their herb could be mediocre B) they could be impatient, working with dry trim requires more patience. C) they could be amateurs."
"

Supplies​

• Two 7lb bags of ice
  • Your dried cannabis (bud or trim)
  • Bubble Hash Bags with 25-micron drying sheet (preferably all-mesh)
    • Tip: Get a pack of 25-micron drying screens and dry each of your various grades of hash on their own sheet. This makes it way easier to dry and keep your grades separated.
  • Two clean 5-gallon buckets
  • A metal spoon
  • A sink area with a sprayer. A clean mister or even just a cup of water can be used if you don’t have a sprayer
  • A way to mix the hash-water
    1. Manual (Mix by Hand): A long cooking spoon or a rubber spatula, some patience, and calories to burn.
    2. Hand Mixer or Drill: A hand-mixer (like you would use for cakes) with beaters attached, or a hand drill with a paint mixer attached
    3. A hash-washer. These are usually sold as “mini washing machines” and they’re pretty good for that, too. We use the “bubblebagdude” washer since it’s specifically designed to make bubble hash.

here's somebody who prefer using fresh frozen but won't give instructions:
"
By Stoney Tark

Using Fresh Frozen​

This basically refers to the state of the trim when it is frozen. As the name suggests the material is in fact fresh, and was not given the chance to dry out. This means the buds and trim have not been decarboxylated and are classed as live resin. The terpenes will have more of a fruity and floral aroma to them and the overall effect is different.

Our top tip here is to freeze your material well, ensuring your trim is fully frozen and easily breakable during the agitation process later on. Letting the trim get cold but not freeze will cause your bubble runs to be less superior to that of a fully frozen batch of material.

"

Last edited:

GoldenBud

can't post too long post - so

here's the more interesting article:

"
If this experiment has shown us anything, it?s that the plant material itself will dictate the best way to extract, and it?s really only by trying and testing that we are we able to uncover this knowledge. As we?ve seen with here, there can be notable differences even between phenotypes of the same plant, with the R-Kiem #1 giving almost 100% more yield than R-Kiem #2 in fresh-frozen, but only 23% more with dry material. Not only that, but the #1 phenotype also released almost no chlorophyll during the fresh-frozen extraction, giving a beautiful light-coloured resin, whereas the extraction using dried material of the same #1 plant was visibly darker, having taken on some vegetable matter at some point during the process. And, just to prove how important hash making is for plant selection, and vice-versa, the #2 phenotype behaved in exactly the opposite way, the dried material produced a much cleaner result than the fresh-frozen extraction, from which the third wash and all subsequent washes were, in our view, far too green in colour.

So, at the end of this particular experiment, we?ve seen that from two plants of the same strain that were very similar in appearance, aroma and flower yield, we achieved quite contrasting results from each different extraction process, with R-Kiem #1 being better suited to fresh-frozen hash making, and R-Kiem #2 better suited for extractions using dried material. However, given the considerably higher yields and superior quality obtained by R-Kiem #1 in the fresh-frozen extraction, in this case, we would definitely be keeping a mother plant of that particular phenotype in order to provide clones for future cultivation with hash-making in mind.

"

seems like it depends which pheno is being worked with. some pheno will yield more as wet some will yield more as dry

"

Extraction process​

In this case, the material was processed in a medium-sized portable washing machine, but smaller and larger machines are available depending on your need. Hand-stirring in a bucket is a perfectly viable option for smaller quantities or if you don't have a washing machine.

Various types of quality and sizes of filter bags are available for making hash, but for this project we used a 5-bag set of Pure Extract Bags to filter the water and separate the vegetable matter (220) and the different sizes of trichome heads by micron size from (160>120>73>25). The use of a 220 micron zip-close work bag inside the machine can be a useful idea to save time and mess, while some may prefer to wash the material loose, thus allowing it to circulate freely in the water. It's a personal choice and experience will show which works best for you.

For each of the four extractions, we carried out multiple washes in order to separate the maximum amount of resin from the material; first we ran the washing machine for three minutes before draining, separating and collecting the trichome heads, next we washed for six minutes, then nine, 12 and finally 15 minutes each for the last few washes, until the temperature of the water rose above 1ºC and the quality and quantity of the resin collected visibly declined and we decided further extraction wouldn't yield much of any worth.

"

ok they used Portable washing machine so they didn't say how much ice/cold water they needed to add for fresh frozen ("FF")

"but dried flowers will occupy less volume in the freezer than fresh-frozen material, being less bulky and heavy." @Farid @Cheebsy

"

I'm smoking hash right now I ran from live flowers. Tbh it's not my preferred method, but i do it occasionally when I'm in a hurry for something to smoke.
The water content/size of the fresh flowers means you can't run much, so doing a whole crop would be a lot of work, and it's near impossible to avoid a bit of chlorophyll contamination on later runs. The resin is delicious though.
"
@Cheebsy see what we were talking about . a lot of water inside wet trim = you will need more work to do
@Farid

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
can't post too long post - so

here's the more interesting article:

"
If this experiment has shown us anything, it?s that the plant material itself will dictate the best way to extract, and it?s really only by trying and testing that we are we able to uncover this knowledge. As we?ve seen with here, there can be notable differences even between phenotypes of the same plant, with the R-Kiem #1 giving almost 100% more yield than R-Kiem #2 in fresh-frozen, but only 23% more with dry material. Not only that, but the #1 phenotype also released almost no chlorophyll during the fresh-frozen extraction, giving a beautiful light-coloured resin, whereas the extraction using dried material of the same #1 plant was visibly darker, having taken on some vegetable matter at some point during the process. And, just to prove how important hash making is for plant selection, and vice-versa, the #2 phenotype behaved in exactly the opposite way, the dried material produced a much cleaner result than the fresh-frozen extraction, from which the third wash and all subsequent washes were, in our view, far too green in colour.

So, at the end of this particular experiment, we?ve seen that from two plants of the same strain that were very similar in appearance, aroma and flower yield, we achieved quite contrasting results from each different extraction process, with R-Kiem #1 being better suited to fresh-frozen hash making, and R-Kiem #2 better suited for extractions using dried material. However, given the considerably higher yields and superior quality obtained by R-Kiem #1 in the fresh-frozen extraction, in this case, we would definitely be keeping a mother plant of that particular phenotype in order to provide clones for future cultivation with hash-making in mind.

"

seems like it depends which pheno is being worked with. some pheno will yield more as wet some will yield more as dry

"

Extraction process​

In this case, the material was processed in a medium-sized portable washing machine, but smaller and larger machines are available depending on your need. Hand-stirring in a bucket is a perfectly viable option for smaller quantities or if you don't have a washing machine.

Various types of quality and sizes of filter bags are available for making hash, but for this project we used a 5-bag set of Pure Extract Bags to filter the water and separate the vegetable matter (220) and the different sizes of trichome heads by micron size from (160>120>73>25). The use of a 220 micron zip-close work bag inside the machine can be a useful idea to save time and mess, while some may prefer to wash the material loose, thus allowing it to circulate freely in the water. It's a personal choice and experience will show which works best for you.

For each of the four extractions, we carried out multiple washes in order to separate the maximum amount of resin from the material; first we ran the washing machine for three minutes before draining, separating and collecting the trichome heads, next we washed for six minutes, then nine, 12 and finally 15 minutes each for the last few washes, until the temperature of the water rose above 1ºC and the quality and quantity of the resin collected visibly declined and we decided further extraction wouldn't yield much of any worth.

"

ok they used Portable washing machine so they didn't say how much ice/cold water they needed to add for fresh frozen ("FF")

"but dried flowers will occupy less volume in the freezer than fresh-frozen material, being less bulky and heavy." @Farid @Cheebsy
Noooo... a lot of that info is somewhat outdated (2012?) especially when talking about using live material.... live hash rosin is made by pressing live bubble hash and it's hugely popular right now.

I still don't really understand the overall disconnect... no one is debating what's easier, more efficient or yields more... it's just different, and is required to produce "live" specific products, such as Piatella.

Edit: what's "best" or better is up to the consumer.... just because "live" rosin/hash rosin or resin is popular doesn't mean it's better. In fact, many people prefer cured products. Whatever floats your boat, man....

Last edited:

GoldenBud

I still don't really understand the overall disconnect... no one is debating what's easier, more efficient or yields more... it's just different, and is required to produce "live" specific products, such as Piatella.
what I am trying to learn if Piatella is just a method to make the hash looks better. If I will come to your nugs and put cellophane on them , you will want to beat me badly. so I don't understand why hash needs to touch cellophane, it's still the same Terpenes/THCA molecules.

I think it's just a trend to make the hash look better and sexier, nothing different in terms of quality. like a "Tik Tok" trend or so.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Bologna

GoldenBud

Cellophane is used because the hash does not stick to it.
yeah but if i will come to your place, taking Cellophane and putting your herb inside it, you will get mad at me. herb contains THCA/Terpenes,
Hash contains THCA/Terpenes.
why for Hash it's fine and for herb you will get mad?
my thinking: Appearance. Pose. Taking sexy photos. Lies. Tik Tok trends.

GoldenBud,

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
yeah but if i will come to your place, taking Cellophane and putting your herb inside it, you will get mad at me. herb contains THCA/Terpenes,
Hash contains THCA/Terpenes.
why for Hash it's fine and for herb you will get mad?
my thinking: Appearance. Pose. Taking sexy photos. Lies. Tik Tok trends.
And if you came to my house and dunked all my herb in buckets of water I’d be mad too, but that is part of the process of making these concentrates. So your example makes no sense. Cellophane is used in the process of making these concentrates, they’re not wrapping it in cellophane for fun.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Well for anyone familiar with modern high grade hash rosin they should understand that the same exact material can produce pretty varied experiences depending on how it's been handled.

For example I'm not a big fan of fresh press rosin with its locked in flavor and glassy consistency that shoots across the room.
I much prefer greasy cold cure, where it's easy to scoop, and the terpenes have worked themselves out into a more fragrant aroma.

Just as identical 6 star hash can produce a different experience depending on whether it's "beach sand," "greased up," or flag pressed.

Piatella seems like it introduces the benefits of cold cured rosin, without actually pressing rosin. Which in my experience is a richer more full bodied flavor and a more potent stone.

GoldenBud

And if you came to my house and dunked all my herb in buckets of water I’d be mad too, but that is part of the process of making these concentrates. So your example makes no sense. Cellophane is used in the process of making these concentrates, they’re not wrapping it in cellophane for fun.
yeah but they say in the instructions of making Piatella is you need Cellophane after it became a concentrate... like, dry herb has 30% THCA and 3% terpenes, so the hash hash like 65% THCA and 7% terpenes maybe, why it needs Cellophane? just to make it look better
Piatella seems like it introduces the benefits of cold cured rosin, without actually pressing rosin. Which in my experience is a richer more full bodied flavor and a more potent stone.
how can it be also fresh material and cured at the same time? if it's fresh frozen it can't be cured because curing comes after drying?

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
what I am trying to learn if Piatella is just a method to make the hash looks better. If I will come to your nugs and put cellophane on them , you will want to beat me badly. so I don't understand why hash needs to touch cellophane, it's still the same Terpenes/THCA molecules.

I think it's just a trend to make the hash look better and sexier, nothing different in terms of quality. like a "Tik Tok" trend or so.

Ok, while I do understand what you're saying... I think "hype" may better describe it than "lies", however... how is its appearance a lie? It is how it looks, no?

From THE link (that you posted long before me, incidentally):

"Seeing videos of Piatella presented in transparent cellulose film definitely looks like the Temple Balls that Frenchy Cannoli made famous. Temple balls give hash makers a way to store and preserve precious trichome heads for the long-term. However, long-term aging is not the goal of Piatella. The aim of Piatella is to capture the freshness of the resin just as the trichomes begin to cure and the terpenes explode at peak expression.

THE PRESS CLUB WHAT IS PIATELLA

Terpenes in Piatella can sometimes bleed right out of the hash, reminiscent of cold cure rosin with puddles of liquid terps throughout. This hash isn’t heated and pressed like rosin though, it’s just expertly cured. Wrapped in plant-based cellulose film, the key is in the cold cure, in absence of fresh air which would speed up oxidation."

(Apparently Frenchy had no issues cellophane...)

What is this exactly? You can not say something like that and not explain...
Haha, I've seen diamond inserts for sale for thousands of dollars... the point being, some people will spend whatever's necessary for whatever reason.

GoldenBud

Terpenes in Piatella can sometimes bleed right out of the hash, reminiscent of cold cure rosin with puddles of liquid terps throughout. This hash isn’t heated and pressed like rosin though, it’s just expertly cured. Wrapped in plant-based cellulose film, the key is in the cold cure, in absence of fresh air which would speed up oxidation."
THCA/Terpenes are pretty much VERY stable, organic, molecules which will not react with the molecular oxygen right away, it will take a lot of time. these people who say "which would speed up oxidation" i don't know if they ever studied organic chemistry like i did. marketing......many people know how to make 6 stars hash, but people also want to feel like they are the "pros" of the territory so they say stuff... u know.... marketing, etc'

people in the hash field tend to say a lot of stuff to feel special than other people or so, lol @ speed up oxidation :lol:
bro-science at its best

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
THCA/Terpenes are pretty much VERY stable, organic, molecules which will not react with the molecular oxygen right away, it will take a lot of time. these people who say "which would speed up oxidation" i don't know if they ever studied organic chemistry like i did. marketing......many people know how to make 6 stars hash, but people also want to feel like they are the "pros" of the territory so they say stuff... u know.... marketing, etc'

people in the hash field tend to say a lot of stuff to feel special than other people or so, lol @ speed up oxidation :lol:
bro-science at its best
Dude, I think it's a language thing... without trying to sound insulting, is English a 2nd language? If so, I applaud your effort...

They are saying that being exposed to oxygen increases the speed in which it oxidizes... I gotta say, if that's marketing bs, it certainly makes sense to me.

Isn't the main reason for making a "temple ball" to limit oxidation and extend shelf life...?

Bologna,
Reactions: Cheebsy

GoldenBud

They are saying that being exposed to oxygen increases the speed in which it oxidizes... I gotta say, if that's marketing bs, it certainly makes sense to me.
it's negligible, these people never studies organic chemistry like I did. the oxidation of these very stable organic molecules will take a lot of time, a lot. they just say this to feel like they know something, let me tell you something as a chemical engineer: they don't.
Isn't the main reason for making a "temple ball" to limit oxidation and extend shelf life...?
google "6 stars hash". you will not find temple balls. why? because temple balls are also kind of marketing issue. Frenchy Cannoli had to mark himself as a Hashishian Pro, so he had to invent something. It looks good, but it's not the highest quality. ask yourself if he wanted stuff to LOOK better, or just making stuff that are contain the highest quality.

I want to hear your opinion after you google "6 stars hash", you will not find temple balls there. and I know why you will not.

About my English... sometimes I invest more time and thinking about it, sometimes I don't care. it's not my first language anyways.
In our case, it's more important to check how much time it'll take THCA to get oxidized by the Oxygen in the air, and it's very negligible.
HINT: It will take a lot of time. days or even weeks. no need for Cellophane or vacuum.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Days or weeks does not seem negligible if the material isn’t consumed within days or weeks.

Monk Debate,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
it's negligible, these people never studies organic chemistry like I did. the oxidation of these very stable organic molecules will take a lot of time, a lot. they just say this to feel like they know something, let me tell you something as a chemical engineer: they don't.

google "6 stars hash". you will not find temple balls. why? because temple balls are also kind of marketing issue. Frenchy Cannoli had to mark himself as a Hashishian Pro, so he had to invent something. It looks good, but it's not the highest quality. ask yourself if he wanted stuff to LOOK better, or just making stuff that are contain the highest quality.

I want to hear your opinion after you google "6 stars hash", you will not find temple balls there. and I know why you will not.

About my English... sometimes I invest more time and thinking about it, sometimes I don't care. it's not my first language anyways.
In our case, it's more important to check how much time it'll take THCA to get oxidized by the Oxygen in the air, and it's very negligible.
HINT: It will take a lot of time. days or even weeks. no need for Cellophane or vacuum.
I may be wrong but weren't temple balls around way before Frenchy? Like he has his own version, but the overall benefit is shelf life, no? By creating a layer that helps limit oxidation which in turn prolongs the shelf life of the original product within.

Oxidation will change how resin tastes and looks etc over time, no?

How something looks is important... and is often the reason why something sells before something else. Whether or not that makes it a superior product is up to the producer and buyer.

No one has said anything about how oxidation affects THCA, only you. Like you keep alluding to Piatella being marketed as having special THCA and other compounds... no one has said that. They only say it looks and tastes different.

Sorry tho, I'm pretty much done with the whole "star rating" rabbit hole part of the discussion ...

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Piatella is nothing but marketing, Temple balls are nothing but marketing. follow my message 129-130 in this thread,

no need for Cellophane, no need Vacuum, no need Temple ball. all marketing. it makes the stuff look better, not higher quality.

high quality Hash just needs high quality raw material, fresh frozen/dry, well instructions, not stirring too fast so plant material won't get inside the hash, drying well, consume.

GoldenBud,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I can't go back... it's full speed ahead or bust!

But I see your point, why would anybody want to buy something that "looks better" than something else...? :rolleyes:

There's no need for anything! Everything is marketing! All you need is flower....

and love!
:peace:

Last edited:

staircase slight of hand

it's negligible, these people never studies organic chemistry like I did.
high quality Hash just needs high quality raw material, fresh frozen/dry, well instructions, not stirring too fast so plant material won't get inside the hash, drying well, consume.

Have you made high quality hash? If not, it sounds like you’re claiming to know better than the people who do, simply because of your ignorant assumptions about their education.

Farid

how can it be also fresh material and cured at the same time? if it's fresh frozen it can't be cured because curing comes after drying?

It is made from fresh frozen bud, then cured once collected. Versus using cured bud in the first place.

Temple balls are ancient. Goes back to early days of charas being collected. Before glass jars existed the best way to preserve terps was to press and roll your hash into a large ball to minimize surface area exposed to air, and "seal" the inside of the ball from the air.

They say you can take a very old temple ball that has never been sealed in a container, and when you cut it, it will have a very strong odor. Prior to cutting it, the smell is minimal.

In modern times, cellophane is used to press the hash versus using one's hands, which can expose the hash to unwanted oils from the skin. It's unnecessary if you don't press it, but many prefer using pressed material for convenience sake.

Funny story, in college I had some hash in powdered form that I randomly decided to press. Later that day I got searched by the cops, and before handing them my hash container I emptied it out into my pocket. Had that been in powdered form it would be gone, but since it was a hard hash in a puck I was able to save it.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Have you made high quality hash? If not, it sounds like you’re claiming to know better than the people who do, simply because of your ignorant assumptions about their education.
if we look at dry herb's organic ingredients that matter anything to us, it contains mostly THCA, a bit THC, and a bit Terpenes.
if we look at bubble hash's organic ingredients, that matter anything to us, so hash contains also mostly THCA, a bit of THC, and Terpenes

why hash needs to get through Cellophane? Vacuum? Temple ball?
the answer is money.

if the maker wants to get more money from the customers, he'll convince them these steps are required, and cost him money to make "a better product".
Don't believe them. Do not over-pay.

GoldenBud,

Farid

Dude, you're way off base here. Cellophane has been used for decades. This piatella is very new.

I'm not convinced it's necessarily a game changer, but it's certainly different looking. But being made from live plants, being pressed in cellophane, etc. are not new AT ALL. Hell I'm not even a believer that live resin is inherently better than resin from cured plants - it's just different.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
if the maker wants to get more money from the customers, he'll convince them these steps are required, and cost him money to make "a better product".
Don't be a patsy. don't believe them.
You know I love ya, @GoldenBud but you are out of your depth here. That's like saying that anything that isn't a $9 bottle of wine is just marketing. There are lots of overpriced luxury products, but there is also a lot of tradition and inspiration that goes into growing and producing these things we consume. Cheese, hash, pickles, etc are all part of the human tradition and organic chemistry is not sufficient to the task.

Should science inform the process? Sure, but it doesn't discount completely the ways out ancestors figured out how to preserve and improve what they had.

I would absolutely love it if you took this enthusiasm into producing the highest quality hash you can. Improve the flavor, aroma, effects, everything!

Top Bottom