Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
When using it in coil mode it works great and the nail temp readout is useful for guessing when the nail has stabilized. For dabbing at 600F the nail readout is 418-420F. I tried changing it to nail mode and set it to 420F and just watched it swing like pendulum for 5 minutes always under or over shooting the target temp by 50-100F. How is everyone else's experience when using nail mode?

So I'll stick with coil mode for the time being since I guess there's some bugs to work out in nail mode.
My nail experience has been like you said. A lot easier to keep it stable through the coil mode right now.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: Kalikron

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
When using it in coil mode it works great and the nail temp readout is useful for guessing when the nail has stabilized. For dabbing at 600F the nail readout is 418-420F. I tried changing it to nail mode and set it to 420F and just watched it swing like pendulum for 5 minutes always under or over shooting the target temp by 50-100F. How is everyone else's experience when using nail mode?

So I'll stick with coil mode for the time being since I guess there's some bugs to work out in nail mode.
Coil mode is definitely the way to go right now. We wanted to flesh out the setting people would be most familiar with first. The stumbling along the way has made it tough but were very, very close to now being caught up and being able to focus on coding in / refining features (especially if we can take more of the physical manufacturing out of our day to day).

Monsoon

Coil mode is definitely the way to go right now. We wanted to flesh out the setting people would be most familiar with first. The stumbling along the way has made it tough but were very, very close to now being caught up and being able to focus on coding in / refining features (especially if we can take more of the physical manufacturing out of our day to day).
Cool, good to know! If you can I think another tweak would be to have a separate set of presets for both coil and nail that switch automatically depending on which it's set to. That way I can just toggle it and have all my presets ready to go. The default 1000F cleaning temp on the nail setting would be way too hot IMO as well. Speaking of which could you also add an option for a user-defined max coil temp in the settings that would prevent it from going over even if the nail or coil are manually set higher?

Baron23

Well, I don't actually yet own one, but I had a thought and wonder what current owners think.

This is very low tech issue, but its the same one I have with the Auber 300 physical layout. i.e. if you sit looking at the unit with the display in a readable orientation (that is, its right side up) then both power and coil connectors are on the back. I always wondered why in the world Auber did this as the nail/rig will be in front of the controller and I always liked power on back side, coil connection on front side so coil cable comes out straight from the controller to the nail. Very minor issue but isn't this the way most folks would sit down to their rig?

Also, guys...help me understand please. Nail mode is where you set desired actual dab surface temp and then using some tuning or algorithm the controller determines a corresponding coil temp and adjusts power so as to maintain set point. Right? If so, this was the main interesting thing about this device to me. I know that Hex will get this working correctly soon (I have confidence in them based on the nature of their communications to date) but was a bit distressed to hear of temp swings +/- 50-100 degress F.

Cheers

Baron23,
Reactions: Hogni

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Well, I don't actually yet own one, but I had a thought and wonder what current owners think.

This is very low tech issue, but its the same one I have with the Auber 300 physical layout. i.e. if you sit looking at the unit with the display in a readable orientation (that is, its right side up) then both power and coil connectors are on the back. I always wondered why in the world Auber did this as the nail/rig will be in front of the controller and I always liked power on back side, coil connection on front side so coil cable comes out straight from the controller to the nail. Very minor issue but isn't this the way most folks would sit down to their rig?

Also, guys...help me understand please. Nail mode is where you set desired actual dab surface temp and then using some tuning or algorithm the controller determines a corresponding coil temp and adjusts power so as to maintain set point. Right? If so, this was the main interesting thing about this device to me. I know that Hex will get this working correctly soon (I have confidence in them based on the nature of their communications to date) but was a bit distressed to hear of temp swings +/- 50-100 degress F.

Cheers
There are a few reasons we located the terminations where we did but the biggest one is to reduce interference to the temp sensor from the power running through the unit. It was also very much an aesthetic choice for us. The 'unbroken' front panels just knock our socks off every time, but we understand the oddities this can create in some set-ups.

We tend to have our nail on a shelf below the rig it's paired with. More of a 'walk-up & dab' rather than a 'pick-up & dab' set up. It keep the coil behind the shelves and away from potential 'pulls' messy coils inevitably create if run in front of the shelf. The back mounted jacks also make things like stands much easier to work into the design down the road.

But once we nail down manufacturing outside of our shop / studio space we're hoping to offer more customization options at the point of purchase so folks that do want something a little 'off-spec' will have the option to do so.

We will also be rolling out our 'Custom Order' request system at some point in the near future, too. We had one true custom request in Round One from a gentleman in Hawaii who sent us Figured Koa & Mango wood stock directly from his sources on the island. It was a brutal build, but we're excited to take on more challenges for those of you that want something truly one of a kind. Prices will be negotiated per. custom unit and go up from our new base price.

------

You're right on with the description of our 'Nail Temp Tracking'.

The 'nail temp. set' feature itself has some severe swinging, but the actual temperature of our dish shown on screen should be pretty darn close (when set to coil tracking). We have changed quite a bit since we updated the nail temps. We have more accurate temp sensors now that we're currently working on implementing into our 'Tuning / Test Rig 2.0'.

What can be done right now in this regard is just to start with coil temps you're used to from other e-nails and see what the nail temp levels out to be. Then adjust the coil temp until you reach your desired 'nail' temp. It's the same way we'll be recommending folks do it on first boot in our literature (once it's all properly put together).

We have 2 - 3 more shipments / batches to get through and then we're caught up. Our first priority is to finish the last round of polish on the current software release and do a full refactor of the code. We've needed one for awhile but it's a process that requires a lot of time and unbroken focus. This will significantly cut down on latency in the UI in general as well as cut down load times by quite a bit. It will make us

Once that's done...we're ready to get to the real fun stuff! Putting in all the features the community wants and dialing in rock solid tunings with the accurate temps. that go hand-in-hand.

Hold one with us just a bit longer, folks. We're really, really close to being caught up. More orders went out today and there's another small batch heading out tomorrow. We're expecting the last of our Bloodwood & Zebrawood enclosure shipments to arrive by the end of the week. They've become harder and harder for us to source lately so the more exotic wood orders are taking longer for us to wrap-up.

Baron23

There are a few reasons we located the terminations where we did but the biggest one is to reduce interference to the temp sensor from the power running through the unit. It was also very much an aesthetic choice for us. The 'unbroken' front panels just knock our socks off every time, but we understand the oddities this can create in some set-ups.

We tend to have our nail on a shelf below the rig it's paired with. More of a 'walk-up & dab' rather than a 'pick-up & dab' set up. It keep the coil behind the shelves and away from potential 'pulls' messy coils inevitably create if run in front of the shelf. The back mounted jacks also make things like stands much easier to work into the design down the road.

But once we nail down manufacturing outside of our shop / studio space we're hoping to offer more customization options at the point of purchase so folks that do want something a little 'off-spec' will have the option to do so.

We will also be rolling out our 'Custom Order' request system at some point in the near future, too. We had one true custom request in Round One from a gentleman in Hawaii who sent us Figured Koa & Mango wood stock directly from his sources on the island. It was a brutal build, but we're excited to take on more challenges for those of you that want something truly one of a kind. Prices will be negotiated per. custom unit and go up from our new base price.

------

You're right on with the description of our 'Nail Temp Tracking'.

The 'nail temp. set' feature itself has some severe swinging, but the actual temperature of our dish shown on screen should be pretty darn close (when set to coil tracking). We have changed quite a bit since we updated the nail temps. We have more accurate temp sensors now that we're currently working on implementing into our 'Tuning / Test Rig 2.0'.

What can be done right now in this regard is just to start with coil temps you're used to from other e-nails and see what the nail temp levels out to be. Then adjust the coil temp until you reach your desired 'nail' temp. It's the same way we'll be recommending folks do it on first boot in our literature (once it's all properly put together).

We have 2 - 3 more shipments / batches to get through and then we're caught up. Our first priority is to finish the last round of polish on the current software release and do a full refactor of the code. We've needed one for awhile but it's a process that requires a lot of time and unbroken focus. This will significantly cut down on latency in the UI in general as well as cut down load times by quite a bit. It will make us

Once that's done...we're ready to get to the real fun stuff! Putting in all the features the community wants and dialing in rock solid tunings with the accurate temps. that go hand-in-hand.

Hold one with us just a bit longer, folks. We're really, really close to being caught up. More orders went out today and there's another small batch heading out tomorrow. We're expecting the last of our Bloodwood & Zebrawood enclosure shipments to arrive by the end of the week. They've become harder and harder for us to source lately so the more exotic wood orders are taking longer for us to wrap-up.
Outstanding reply, Ava. I know with the Auber, I had heard the same thing....that the connectors on the back work if hanging it from a rack or have it in a stand and that makes a great deal of sense.

And thank you for your more detailed explanation of nail temp situation.

You gals are doing a truly splendid job of this, both the product and your customer communications and openness to the customer community!! :tup::clap::rockon:

Monsoon

Using it over the weekend I find the programmable cleaning preset to be one of the "killer apps" for me. Before I always used turn it to cleaning temp after a dab and then had to wait for it to cool down when I wanted another one. Now I just press the button and it's cleaned and ready to go for next time. Should also stress the coil less since I won't forget and leave it at 900F for several hours at a time.

@HexNailAva What would you suggest is the best way to cleaning stray bits of shatter or reclaim that will inevitably end up on the wood surface? Noticed a speck or two and want to get it off with the least risk of damaging the wood. What would alcohol do to the surface?

Monsoon,

anrchy666

Just a thought could you add an option to flip screen like a phone does or a hard flip screen setting?

anrchy666,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
More answers to these questions and updates coming by tomorrow evening (after we ship another set of boxes). I just wanted to post here to let anyone trying to contact me via my personal phone number (if you have it) I will not be able to see or respond to most of these communications as my phone is currently out of commission. The line on the site for leaving messages is still fine.

Please message me here or on Facebook if you need to contact me. I can receive 'iMessage' stuff through my laptop as well (should you also be within the 'Apple Universe').

antiburn

I've been running my Hex-Nail with the coil defaulted to off for a while now, and have found that the unit reads the ambient room temperature dead on when first powered up. But if I leave the unit on, turn off the coil, and let my Liger cool back down, it always read ~18° too high afterwards. Even if it sits all night or longer with the coil off it will read the ambient as too high. It only reads correct again after turning the Hex-Nail off for some time before powering it back on.

antiburn,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
I've been running my Hex-Nail with the coil defaulted to off for a while now, and have found that the unit reads the ambient room temperature dead on when first powered up. But if I leave the unit on, turn off the coil, and let my Liger cool back down, it always read ~18° too high afterwards. Even if it sits all night or longer with the coil off it will read the ambient as too high. It only reads correct again after turning the Hex-Nail off for some time before powering it back on.

When the coil is off / under 100°F or so the 'ambient' temp is actually being read by the temp sensor in the unit itself, rather than the coil's own thermocouple. We do this for a few reasons. One is we actually need that number for some of our calculations. Another is so if you nail has issues we can see in the units log if it's been overheating or not. It's actually useful for us to know that the offset for you seems to be about 18 degrees (above 'ambient' temp.)

Kinda the same you'd monitor the internal temp of your computer when doing benchmarking, etc.

After it's been off the internals have cooled, so the temp has dropped when you power it back up.

We never made this clear so I understand why it's confusing. That's my bad for sure. But there's nothing wrong with your unit (don't worry). Hope that answers any questions / dispels any fear about that.

Last edited:

antiburn

That's good to know and makes sense. I hadn't caught on that it was switching to a different sensor.

As far as temperature goes, that was the oddest thing I'd noticed. Everything else just seams to be offsets from what I've been use to before. I had found in the past I like my 30mm SiC insert at about 450°F (measured with an Omega J type thermocouple and meter). With my previous setup this would be with the coil set to about 565, with the Hex-Nail I've found it to need to be set to 545 at the coil. I don't think this is concerning since the coils are different (longer vertically wound vs. shorter flat wound, and different thermocouple placement). I do find the dish temperature to be very even with the Hex-Nail coil, with the old high-5 coil my dish was ~25° cooler in the center. I wish I was able to bring home a thermal camera.. With my Hex-Nail coil set to 545, the Hex-Nail calculates my insert is at 380-381°F. Which I measure at a hair over 450°F.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
That's good to know and makes sense. I hadn't caught on that it was switching to a different sensor.

As far as temperature goes, that was the oddest thing I'd noticed. Everything else just seams to be offsets from what I've been use to before. I had found in the past I like my 30mm SiC insert at about 450°F (measured with an Omega J type thermocouple and meter). With my previous setup this would be with the coil set to about 565, with the Hex-Nail I've found it to need to be set to 545 at the coil. I don't think this is concerning since the coils are different (longer vertically wound vs. shorter flat wound, and different thermocouple placement). I do find the dish temperature to be very even with the Hex-Nail coil, with the old high-5 coil my dish was ~25° cooler in the center. I wish I was able to bring home a thermal camera.. With my Hex-Nail coil set to 545, the Hex-Nail calculates my insert is at 380-381°F. Which I measure at a hair over 450°F.
This is really great feedback.

We know some of our dish numbers are off right now after changing some of the power scaling with the last few updates. We're wrapping up our new probe unit today (as we wrap up more units, too) and will be re-calculating the scaling for all our current tunings (and some that haven't been added yet) to make sure we're back on track. It's something we've noticed recently, too. But rest assured...Within the next few weeks we're hoping to be more accurate than ever before.

We're glad you like the coils. We tried...way...way to many coils before landing on these. We really like the performance and build quality. We've heard basically nothing but good things from customers about them, too.

We're trying to go above and beyond on this one for sure. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and while I feel like you know what you're doin' (lol) just a note to anyone else that is coming over from a High5 or any other J type thermocouple.

Please DO NOT try to use the coil with the HN-01. It will void your warranty and most likely ruin your unit. Please be careful and be sure to use only our coils or other K Type heaters.

toros23

nevermind, figured out the answer.. back to testing.. : )

Last edited:
toros23,

Kalikron

I know this isn't strictly a HexNail comment but it kinda is...I want to use my HexNail with my new sapphire but need to be sure BEFORE I dirty it up using it....
I finally received my first Sapphire insert from josh for my flat coil. But a friend made me paranoid saying it was Quartz. He's no genius and doesn't even own a HexNail or a liger but it made me paranoid, lol.
Can anyone help me identify the visual differences between Quartz and sapphire inserts? Any detail to look for that would only be on one vs the other?
Thanks in advance, I've never had a Quartz insert or I'd just compare?

Kalikron,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Sapphire will often show more color in front of light. Sometimes they're a big 'foggy' looking compared to Quartz which is basically like glass when it comes new.

The surface may be a bit rougher, too. But I think Josh is polishing the Sapphire inserts now (correct me if I'm wrong). It is quite tough to tell (especially after some use) but someone else here I'm sure has a better way to ID the 2.

brucee10

I know this isn't strictly a HexNail comment but it kinda is...I want to use my HexNail with my new sapphire but need to be sure BEFORE I dirty it up using it....
I finally received my first Sapphire insert from josh for my flat coil. But a friend made me paranoid saying it was Quartz. He's no genius and doesn't even own a HexNail or a liger but it made me paranoid, lol.
Can anyone help me identify the visual differences between Quartz and sapphire inserts? Any detail to look for that would only be on one vs the other?
Thanks in advance, I've never had a Quartz insert or I'd just compare?
You could also run it by a jeweler. They should have a scope for checking it out.

Kalikron

Sapphire will often show more color in front of light. Sometimes they're a big 'foggy' looking compared to Quartz which is basically like glass when it comes new.

The surface may be a bit rougher, too. But I think Josh is polishing the Sapphire inserts now (correct me if I'm wrong). It is quite tough to tell (especially after some use) but someone else here I'm sure has a better way to ID the 2.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm color blind so I may be stuck trying to find a jeweler....too bad there isn't a defining characteristic for one or the other? An edge that's beveled on one or a surface that's not flat etc....

Kalikron,

mutten840

I think the quartz and sapphire have different weights. At least that's what my brain tells me =)

mutten840,
Reactions: NSCocoa

Kalikron

I think the quartz and sapphire have different weights. At least that's what my brain tells me =)
Thanks so much for the help! I haven't been able to use it yet: just in case I need to return it.....unfortunately, my insert seems pretty glassy/clear. I can't be sure though. Its highly polished, except for the area that's beveled on the edge. It also is completely flat inside, but just doesn't seem foggy or cloudy like the pics I've seen. And it took me forever to save for and receive.
If possible does anyone have a scale to check this out? I have a scale and a sapphire insert. This would be a solution for me; if someone can kindly weigh their flat coil 3.0 insert(s) and let us know the ballpark weight(s)?

Also I had a quick question for @HexNailAva. Or someone else if they can help...I updated to v1.2.7 kinda by accident. I didn't want to power off during and the description said it was just a Eurocentric 220v Model/Coil update; so I hoped it wouldn't be a problem for my US model/Coil? I've noticed my duty cycle graphic seems to be more erratic since; is that possible? Or perhaps a setting change? Could just be my watching it more closely now, but I don't think so...

Last edited:

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Thanks so much for the help! I haven't been able to use it yet: just in case I need to return it.....unfortunately, my insert seems pretty glassy/clear. I can't be sure though. Its highly polished, except for the area that's beveled on the edge. It also is completely flat inside, but just doesn't seem foggy or cloudy like the pics I've seen. And it took me forever to save for and receive.
If possible does anyone have a scale to check this out? I have a scale and a sapphire insert. This would be a solution for me; if someone can kindly weigh their flat coil 3.0 insert(s) and let us know the ballpark weight(s)?

Also I had a quick question for @HexNailAva. Or someone else if they can help...I updated to v1.2.7 kinda by accident. I didn't want to power off during and the description said it was just a Eurocentric 220v Model/Coil update; so I hoped it wouldn't be a problem for my US model/Coil? I've noticed my duty cycle graphic seems to be more erratic since; is that possible? Or perhaps a setting change? Could just be my watching it more closely now, but I don't think so...
Fear not. I think I talked about it a few pages back but the ONLY thing 1.2.7 did was add extra coil tunings (you can't tell but you can actually scroll on the coil picker and you'll see (220v) coil options now).

We had to push the update for our customers in the UK after we profiled the International coils.

Oh, and just as a side note the change log after an update is a full log made for the front or back end now. So expected future change logs to be more black and white. We just had a hefty pile of bugs being pulled out after the initial shipments went out that we kinda couldn't up with it all ourselves sometimes. :doh:

EDIT: I didn't want to put it out there unless I knew but they seemed different in a weight sense to me as well. Though if it's not significant our Sapphire dishes weren't the same when we got them from Josh. Always have to leave a little room for machining tolerances, etc.

Last edited:

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
@HexNailAva Do I actually have to set up a profile for this to operate? Can I access the device manually too, or is it all wireless or handset/p.c. based?

I wanted to add this also and I'm in no way bashing you're product here as I'm interested....but anytime you're doing something online, wirelessly and the like ones information is being tracked, grabbed, compiled and stored, Cloud or no cloud. Just read the NSA, FBI and many others white papers.

Also is a consumer out of luck using this if he or she does not use a computer or cell phone?

I just started reading this thread but these concerns hit me right away. I look forward to reading the rest and your future updates and thank you for your time.

Top Bottom