Herbs as a sleep aid?

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Ok, first off, I wasn't sure if I should throw this in Ask FC, or here, but here seemed the most appropriate, Mods please move if appropriate :)

Anyways, I'm interested in finding some non-MJ herbs that will aid with sleeping.

I pretty much always have trouble getting to sleep, even if I'm feeling quite tired, something as simple as walking to my bedroom from my loungeroom will make me feel wide awake for another few hours.
I don't find that MJ really helps me get to sleep, the highness (I normally love so much ;)) distracts me, and just sorta keeps me up too. It also doesn't help that the act of vaping is another "thing" I'd be doing and concentrating on, switching me from "tired mode" to "awake mode".

I find if I'm "trying" to get to sleep, it just isn't gonna happen, I have to just slip off naturally.
It's the letting it naturally happen that's the problem.
If I just lie in bed, my brain doesn't want to "switch off", and I just sort of cycle through useless thoughts for a few hours until I forget I'm trying to go to sleep, at which point it seems I fall asleep :lol:
So I've taken to listening to music or podcasts while going to sleep, which helps distract my thoughts, but then I've got to walk a fine line, if what I'm listening to is too interesting, I'll get drawn into it, and it'll keep me awake, if it's not interesting enough, I'll just go off on my random thoughts again...

So yeah, I'm after any recommendations for herbs that any of my FC peeps have tried that will help in going to sleep of a night-time.

:zzz:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: Purpl3_Haz3

SD_haze

In case you missed this
On nights where I need to fall asleep, I am really enjoying this stuff. Sleepytime Extra
I typically vape in addition to it but don't know if that's even necessary.

Unlike regular sleepytime, this version has Valerian Root :tup:
sleepytime.jpg

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
I know you wanted herbs and in my mind the only thing that might help to vape is a strong Indica.

However, this stuff is made from different herbs and works well. I don't use it on a daily basis just when I'm sure I'll need it. Whoops, forgot the link. :)

http://www.ichill.com/

Also, don't know how kosher it is but my Dr prescribed Ativan for when my thoughts are running away at night. Works, but it is synthetic and not all that good for your liver.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
You might want to look into light therapy. Dimming the light around your home several hours before you intend to rest should help. Artificial and natural light exposure reduces the amount of melatonin present in the body.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
You might want to look into light therapy. Dimming the light around your home several hours before you intend to rest should help. Artificial and natural light exposure reduces the amount of melatonin present in the body.
Also along these lines, F.lux is something that some people find helps when using computers late at night. It adjusts your screen's color temperature after sunset so that it doesn't mimic sunlight and potentially throw off your circadian rhythm.

mephisto

Passionflower is effective, and Damiana is as well. Both of these herbs work well combined w/ mj.
Kanna is a great mood elevator and can be combined w/mj . All of these herbs tend to potentiate the effects of mj, so less is needed to achieve desired effects. The passionflower and Kanna can alter serotonin levels to the point that serotonin sickness can occur if these herbs are used in conjunction with typical MAOI's
(older tricyclic antidepressants). So do your research, and enjoy the results Nature provides free of side effects when compared to Big Pharma. I have tested all of these herbs and will welcome any questions sent via pm.....

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Chamomile. I plan to try vaping a chamomile tea (contents of the bag) this evening as an experiment.

Chamomile, Lavender, and Hops are all soothing, calming herbs that may help with sleep. They are usually part of any sort of sleep tea blend.

I also vape only Indicas, at high temps, and focus on strains reputed to help with sleep (Romulan, Afghani), after 5pm.

And yeah, cutting way down on "blue light" -- artificial sunlight -- using f.lux, candlelight, and/or blue-light blocking glasses helps a great deal.

Bass Vaper

Chamomile. I plan to try vaping a chamomile tea (contents of the bag) this evening as an experiment.

I'm interested to know how this worked out. My wife is interested in vaping non cannabis flowers. Both of us could use sleep aids and just general relaxation herbs. Obviously I'm very skeptical to vape anything unknown, and all I have experience with is cannabis.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bass Vaper,
Reactions: hibeam

hibeam

alpha +
I vape chamomile for the taste after dissolving a couple valerian caps in my mouth. Valerian shuts down my racing thoughts and it is very effective on my lower back pain. Kava during the day can preclude my being too wired to sleep at bedtime. I love FC's low light style!

Bass Vaper

Thx. Does chamomile have any affect, or is it just for flavor? And I have serious lower back pain coupled with a hernia that pushes on it. Kills.

Bass Vaper,
Reactions: hibeam

davesmith

Glass Blower
My sleepy tea blend is valerian, hops, passionflower. I don't vape it though!

davesmith,

virtualpurple

I tried vaping sleepy time tea when I was on a t-break.

It was a short lived experience, not really tasty from my perspective.

virtualpurple,
Top Bottom