HerbalAire v Arizer Extreme Q

The vape I'll be getting soon will be one of these models, but I can't decide which one to go for.

From what I've been reading the HerbalAire is more efficient, therefore not wasting any bud, but I really do like the look and features of the Extreme Q, especially the remote control unit.

Atm I'm leaning towards buying the Herbal Aire, but I'm not fully decided yet.

Any suggestions?

stella fella,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This post has a comparison of the Herbalaire, the Extreme, and the Volcano by a pretty smart and trustworthy guy:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=66008#p66008

I own an Extreme, but I would probably buy the HA if I were shopping today. I almost never use the remote, but I don't fill bags. If you use bags then the remote is easier than manipulating the E's buttons.

pakalolo,

Spacenstein

Quick questions:

What is the best place to buy an HA2.1?

What is the best place to buy an Extreme Q?

(im looking more for the cheapest price, from a reliable seller)

-S

Spacenstein,
Reactions: aamp420

max

Out to lunch
Best herbie pricing is on eBay. You might have warranty issues with Arizer if you go with the lowest price you can find. You need an authorized dealer for that one.

max,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I do wonder why the EQ seems way more popular then the HA? I looked into both, and it seems the EQ kind of dwarfs the HA as far as exposure, despite the HA being out longer. Both seem like pretty kick ass units though.

(Thanks again Space)

Magic9,
I like my HA for sure, but it's not a be all, end all design. The bowl/crucible area always stays very hot and so creates unwanted conduction vaporization whether or not you are inhaling/blowing a bag, leading to reduced flavor and wasted product DESPITE the HA's incredibly efficient convection abilities.

HA ABV really does look unlike most other vapes, just amazing consistent and brown, and you really can just load up nugs and just blow bags all day no problem - the bud-ulon will crush into brown powder when you're done. If you don't feel like making brownies or the like with your ABV from other vapes, just load a big crucible and blow some bags in the HA - you WILL get dense vapor out of seemingly spent material, and it will come out an unreal, dark dark brown, and smell a little nasty honestly. Truly spent plant material, well short of combustion.

The HA is a excellent bag blower, easily surpassing the volcano in efficiency, equaling in most other respects, but its use as a direct draw or whip vape are not super-duper. The airflow is somewhat constricted, the tubing it comes with is pathetic, if you get high quality, wide gauge tubing it's difficult to connect without using a hoseclamp or something like that... So don't expect it to perform like a DBV when in whip mode, because it simply won't without some work.

The 18.8mm male connector of the Extreme allows you to experiment with it as a wand vape, too.

Both vaporizers have alot going for the, truthfully.

charliedontsurf,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
So I asked for opinions in the EQ thread. These questions I'm sticking here.
1) Since the EQ uses a fan, is anybody worried about dust? Or foreign particles polluting the vapor?

2) One reason I'm leaning towards EQ is people say the HA lacks in the direct draw. I've never vaped before, is that really going to be an issue for a new vape user? (I see myself using 50% bag/50% direct)

3) I'll probably use the unit between the bedroom and living room (when the fam is asleep), would the EQ have any problem unplugging and plugging in repeatedly as far as electronics go?

4) I smoke daily, usually smaller amounts multiple times. My theory is the HA quicker heat up time (2 mins. vs 10 mins) favors the HA, but I would have to remove the bowl (if not finished). The EQ I could turn temp. down after initial warmup. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

5)Pakalolo, you say even though you don't blow bags, you'd get the HA over the E. May I ask why? (I did read the linked review)

6) I've seen references that the HA doesn't need dry herb. Are we talking fresh of the plant wet? Mine is usually dry on outside, sticky on the inside. Does the EQ require it to be bone dry crumbly?

7) Why the hell isn't this thread longer?

EDIT* 1 more.
The HA doesn't go as high in temp as EQ. I know about the sensors and all. If the HA only goes to 205C,
would it extract the compounds that are in the 220-230C range? Does the EQs REAL temp even get them?

Thanks for any input and I'm sorry if any above questions have answers already, I've read it all and didn't see them.

Magic9,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Magic9 said:
5)Pakalolo, you say even though you don't blow bags, you'd get the HA over the E. May I ask why? (I did read the linked review)

I don't want to give the impression that the Q is inferior in any way; this is purely a matter of preference.

Part of my reason is that I haven't used the HA and would like to try it. I am intrigued by the lack of a need to grind. (It's not that I am lazy in any way, you understand.) I chat regularly with some HA users in the #fuckcombustion channel and they all recommend the device. They're a knowledgeable crowd. I'm also influenced by the fact that I tend to break glass parts, which the Arizers have and the HA doesn't.

Re heat-up times: you'll find a lot of superstition in the threads about the heat-up ritual for the EQ. For the most part, you can ignore it. Yes, it does help if you allow all the glass to come up to temperature, but you can also get vapour as soon as it reaches your chosen setting, i.e. 2-3 minutes after turning it on. As far as I can tell, the difference if you wait the extra 10 minutes or whatever is marginal at best.

Be careful with the term "direct draw" when talking about the HA. Many people use this term to describe using a whip, but the HA lets you do genuine direct draw using just the mouthpiece. There is a difference, since this means you won't get the cooling you'd get pulling the vapour through a whip.

pakalolo,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Magic9 said:
So I asked for opinions in the EQ thread. These questions I'm sticking here.

I'll give a shot at a few . . .

1) Since the EQ uses a fan, is anybody worried about dust? Or foreign particles polluting the vapor?

No. Any unit with a fan or pump must have an intake, so ambient air enters the system. On the Q the air moves through the ceramic heating element, pretty darn hot. I've not seen any foreign matter in my water chambers (I use GonG to a bubbler or bong.)

2) One reason I'm leaning towards EQ is people say the HA lacks in the direct draw. I've never vaped before, is that really going to be an issue for a new vape user? (I see myself using 50% bag/50% direct)

I think you want to be clear about direct draw vs the whip. As you know, I don't have first-hand experience with the HA, so I'm only going from what I've read and seen. It appears the direct draw is through a short length teflon tube; I would be concerned with the heat that close to the element (but conceivably this could attach directly to glass? - check The Cloud if you don't know what I mean). A principal advantage of using a whip is that the vapor cools down progressively as it travels thru the whip, so e.g. on the Q the vapor as it leaves the Cyclone is virtually too hot to touch (running Fan 3 @200c) but at the end of the whip I've measured it at ~80F. I've seen a number of complaints about the whip tubing on the HA; the narrow diameter restricts flow, and it's not easy to adapt larger silicone tubing to attach to the crucible (I would think the pump would compensate for this, but perhaps that flow is too strong for the whip?).

3) I'll probably use the unit between the bedroom and living room (when the fam is asleep), would the EQ have any problem unplugging and plugging in repeatedly as far as electronics go?

No. Just uses a power brick, nothing special. About 8-10' total cord length from unit to wall.

4) I smoke daily, usually smaller amounts multiple times. My theory is the HA quicker heat up time (2 mins. vs 10 mins) favors the HA, but I would have to remove the bowl (if not finished). The EQ I could turn temp. down after initial warmup. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

If you leave herb in any bowl with the heat still on at probably >150C, the THC will slowly degrade. I haven't seen anything quantitative about how rapidly. My wild-ass guess is that it doesn't matter for maybe an hour or so, as long as it's not left on above the THC boiling point (baring in mind that the standing bowl temp varies by vape design; a lot of the Q's heat comes from the passage of air over the element, so if air isn't moving the temp and oxygen exposure is less). By the way, some materials - no idea if this applies to herb - degrade more with a total cool down/re-heat type cycle, i.e., it might not be good to be doing a full off/on kind of thing. I leave my Q on, in my office, thru the evening. I drop it to ~160c, and when I want to resume I crank the temp up to +230c; the Cyclone heats back up within a couple minutes and then I drop the temp down to my 200c target. If you elbow-pack, you can do this a bit more quickly because the vaporizing is not so much happening thru air circulation in the Cyclone as much as it is in the direct air flow thru the elbow dome.

6) Does the EQ require it to be bone dry crumbly?

Not at all. When you think of drying, it's important to distinguish between the process of thorough curing vs later drying out. Very bad if not cured entirely, having nothing to do with vaping per se. If the herb after curing is excessively dried out, there may be an oxidation or humidity issue to deal with. With the Q specifically, if anything you don't want the herb to be powder dry (or ground to powder), as it will have a tendency to clog the elbow screen.

7) Why the hell isn't this thread longer?

I have a couple of guesses, but since they're only guesses, I'll pass on this one.

EDIT* 1 more.
The HA doesn't go as high in temp as EQ. I know about the sensors and all. If the HA only goes to 205C, would it extract the compounds that are in the 220-230C range? Does the EQs REAL temp even get them?

Great question. My understanding is that the Q's temp readout adjusts for the differential between in the bowl and the element, the intent being to provide a reasonably close (since there can be other factors) indication of the actual vaporization temp. This was a change made in the Q vs previous Extreme models. IME based on results, the readout tracks closely to the vaporpedia chart. Arizer recommends 190-200c (little higher if elbow packing). Just going by the posts on the Q thread, my impression is that most vape in the 190-210c range, some ratchet up in steps to 230c (top temp is 260c). Plenty hot enough to cook the herb; I wouldn't worry about insufficient heat. I'm surprised the HA's temp doesn't go higher, but a possible explanation may be the physics of compressed convection, i.e., the heat may be more dense and sustained in the crucible capsule, resulting in more efficient extraction (as the manufacturer claims). Anyway, it's good to keep in mind that at ~220c you enter couch-lock territory. And note that carcinogens (not tars but rather chemical interactions with the heat, e.g., benzene) actually begin to form above 200c. Every one has their own sweet spot, but it seems few go much higher than ~210c.

Now, please notice the tip jar as you leave. :D

oldiebutgoodie,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
*tipped*
Thanks again oldiebutgoodie and pakalolo. I ordered the EQ. I'll post initial thoughts in EQ thread. Stuck with sub-par herb at the moment so full review will be about a month away.

Magic9,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Magic9 said:
*tipped*
Thanks again oldiebutgoodie and pakalolo. I ordered the EQ. I'll post initial thoughts in EQ thread. Stuck with sub-par herb at the moment so full review will be about a month away.

Since you've decided on the Q, and since I don't remember if I mentioned this previously, I'll just pass this along . . . there appears to be one frustration that many new owners have, and that's with the Q's tubing. The stock kit has everything you need to get going. But if you want to enhance your setup with glass, or even just when it's time to clean the elbows, you'll probably find that the tubing is not easy to remove - that's because it is PVC (albeit medical grade) with little elasticity.

There are several simple solutions for this: You can use the Q itself to soften the PVC; just hold the joint above the heating element (sans Cyclone), turn on Fan 3 @230c. It's like using a hair dryer (which also works well, btw). Or boil a cup of water and place the joint in it for a few minutes; that works even better. But if you're going to be repeatedly removing/attaching the tubing, eventually you'll want to replace it with silicone. The stock dimensions are 3' of 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD by 1/16" wall, and you want Durometer 50 (that's the "hardness" or elasticity rating). It's not hard to find this at online vape stores, e.g., the Vaporfection uses this. Some like 3/8" ID such as is used with the SSV. In the U.S. you can buy this tubing very inexpensively from Amazon, US Plastic, or McMaster-Carr.

Just something to be aware of. Good luck with your new Q.

oldiebutgoodie,

lwien

^^ That's the same site that rated the NO2 above the LB, and stated that the VB "Uses less weed than other vaporizers" while also stating, "The best vaporizer of 2011 in our opinion is Extreme Q Vaporizer". Ummmm...............

And finally, they stated the following: "If you don't see a certain vaporizer on this site, it's because we find it to be unsafe, ineffective, or poor quality. Only the best is our policy!".

So what vaporizers did you not see on their site?

Da Buddha
Silver Surfer
Purple Days
Aromazap
Aromed
HerabalAire
VripTech
etc etc etc............

lwien,
I dunno, I liked the site because it looks like they actually spent some time with each vape. Maybe they didn't, sorry. Definitely seems more legitimate than some of the sites out there like vaporizer.org.

damnyouprince,

lwien

How can it possibly seem legitimate considering all the great vapes that they say are, "unsafe, ineffective, or of poor quality"?

In this thread, post #6, this thread http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=115679#p115679, you also suggested that we refer to this exact same site in regards to the review of another vape, the NO2.

So..........in 6 posts, you referred us to this site on two different vaporizers in two separate threads.

I also noticed that it states that the owners of that site get a commission if one clicks on the various resellers there to make a purchase.

I'm a bit suspect here..........but hey, that's my nature.

lwien,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yeah, it seems strange to me, too. I don't trust those sites that just rate shit in order to make a buck off of it.

I love my Extreme Q and think it's one of the best made vapes out there. But these sites should be taken with a grain of salt. They are what they are....but if they say the NO2 is better than the MFLB then I have to take issue with that.

Stu,
Reactions: aamp420

lwien

Stu said:
....but if they say the NO2 is better than the MFLB then I have to take issue with that.

Yeah, but how 'bout taking issue with them saying that the SSV, DBV, PD, MZ, Aromed, HA and VripTech are
"unsafe, ineffective, or poor quality" cause THAT, imho, is the biggest issue of all.

lwien,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Good point. But the jury is still out oun the Aromed. :p

:peace:

Stu,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Update: After tons of reading, and good advice, I ordered an EQ. I then cancelled it on Monday morning. 3 main reasons.
1)The warranty. I couldn't afford full price (even after some decent deals) from an authorized dealer for my first vape. I smoke everyday, little bits at a time. I would also frequently need to move the unit from bedroom (when kid is awake), to the living room (when the wife is asleep). The stress that would cause to the electronics worried me. Although, I'm confident the EQ would have survived, I wasn't willing to take that chance w/o a warranty. Not to mention the "dropping" risk.

2)The kid. The EQ seemed like something she might want to play with, if she stumbled across it. 10 year olds snoop. It would surely catch her eye. It is a pretty machine. The HA seemed like it would be not only overlooked, but also easier to conceal.

3)After reading that generally the EQ outperformed the HA in whip mode, I assume the HA direct/whip, should be sufficient for a first vape. Plus, since I can't cook (I can barely make a grilled cheese), the reputation of the HAs' extraction didn't hurt.

In conclusion, both are excellant vapes and it is damn near impossible to go wrong (no direct exp. with either, just a shitload of reading). I could easily write a list of reasons to go with the EQ. I probbaly would have if they covered warranties from non-authorized dealers. If anybody is interested, I'll be posting my initial thoughts in the HA thread (hopefully this weekend). Stuck with shitty herbs at the moment, so it will be about 4-5 weeks before full review. Thanks again to all who have helped me directly, and to the posters on this forum for the indirect help. Very valuble info here.

OT: lwien, I've seen you keeping people honest on many forums. Very helpful to those of us seeking info.

Magic9,

lwien

Thanks Magic. I don't think I could shut off my BS radar even if I wanted to. :uhoh: Figure if I'm going to be spending as much time as I do on these forums, I may as well put it to some good use.

But yeah, I agree with the above. From everything I have read, BOTH the HA and the Extreme are great vapes and one could do a lot worse than picking either one of them.

lwien,
Top Bottom