Herb Iron Glass

stinkmeaner

notmyrealUSERname said:
stinkmeaner:

the Supreme has been getting most of my intention since I find it the most fun and hands on to use along with superior vapor production to anything else I have tried, plus I just like the clearing milky tubes.

i love clearing milky glass too! i can't see myself neglecting my glass collection in favor of a bag or whip style vape. so far, i think that i am leaning toward a Supreme as a possible DD, but i am drawn toward the vapexhale which is more $, but you get glass too! i have ruled out the VWH (and the like) - too many quality control issues IMO. there are new vapes appearing on the market almost weekly, maybe one of them will be THE one. until i figure out what i want, i thought the herb iron glass vape might help bridge the gap between combustion, and vaping.

I cant imagine the Herb Iron giving hits that are as consistent as the Supreme. I would guess it is like the SSV which needs you to inhale a certain way to get consistent vapor.
See the Supreme gives you rips that are so thick that you don't miss smoking and you can hit soft are hard and it will yeild the same results. One of the best things about Supreme's are their reliability, the VHW gives good rips also but it is much more fragile and they can have problems, the Supreme can be tossed in a drawer and you could pick it up a year later and it would be the same great vape. Plus it works without any attachments by direct draw, whip, and you can use it with waterpipes without any attachments.

stinkmeaner,

ShadowLink12

Activist
notmyrealUSERname said:
i have found that the HI works really well with the glass hot knives bong attachment: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55621735/glass-hot-knives-cupped-color-changing

in fact, i think that the HI and GHK (glass hot knives) is the most effective solution for combusting hard pressed concentrates that i have come across yet.

I have this same device from etsy, and have loved it the few times I have used it for bubble. When using the herb iron, do you still heat up the bowl part with a torch, but then just use the herb iron to press the hash instead of heating up the rod? I figure this is the case, I was just wondering if you could give me a quick comparison to persuade me to pick up the herb iron or a hakko, since I have like 10+ grams of bubble.

ShadowLink12,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
ShadowLink12:

I have this same device from etsy, and have loved it the few times I have used it for bubble. When using the herb iron, do you still heat up the bowl part with a torch, but then just use the herb iron to press the hash instead of heating up the rod?

exactly! i still use the torch to heat the glass part up, just until the color changes to red. pick up my HI, hold the button with one hand, and with the other hand i 'pack the bowl'. the heat from the glass starts to bring your stuff up to temp, then you start inhaling (so you won't lose any vapor/smoke), and then touch HI to it.

i just find the HI more effective, easier, and quicker than the glass rod that came with the glass hot knives.

I was just wondering if you could give me a quick comparison to persuade me to pick up the herb iron or a hakko, since I have like 10+ grams of bubble.

i don't know how much you value your time. if you 'work for cheap', have spare time, and some initiative, then i would say go for the Hakko. if you need inspiration look in the homemade vape thread, i would say that 2clicker has built the ultimate Hakko.

if your time is expensive, and you have extra $, then i would say go for the instant satisfaction and get the HI.

when i say 'work for cheap', i mean how much is your time worth to you? this is how i figure that out - my hourly rate is between $18 - 25 per hour at my 9 - 5pm job. since i am working for myself i will cut that rate in half, therefore my time is worth $10/hr. how many hours will you spend to get all your resources together in order to buy a Hakko, then modify it? i would also include travel time, and gas, to go the 'big city' near me to get everything. so when i did the math it was 'cheaper' for me to buy the HI.

i am not going to recommend one over the other, as far as i can tell, they both do the exact same thing in the end.

notmyrealUSERname,

GetVaked101

I noticed the glass piece has been released. Has anyone ordered one here? Looking forward to a review or something. Looks promising.

GetVaked101,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
Hmm this is pretty interesting considering that it is as fast as the battery operated soldering irons. (thats what it is) not bad at all. I think its a great idea for those who wish to smoke without butane which just happens to be a cancer causing agent.

HiPi,

caseball2051

the owner said hed mail me a tester unit a few months ago and i just followed up with him to show him there was still interest out there for his unit.

hopefully he gets back to me and i can get you guys an indepth review!

caseball2051,

Robotee

I am currently testing the HI as a vaporizer. I have the new glass vaporizer attachment.

First impressions are I can't get the element close enough too herb when using a HiSi drain style bowl with my HiSi S15 Ice Tube. This is a high air flow application, so it might work better on a small pipe. More testing will be required.

The Herb Iron has loads of potential. The tip reaches full temp in about 20 secs. It gets hot enough to burn herb in about 10 secs. I just need to find the right all glass setup. Going to try it as a heat source for the Ubie.

This will be my choice for an on the go instant vapor with all glass whip. I will post my setup once a figure it out. I can tell you right now the it will not include the provided glass attachment.

Robotee,

GetVaked101

Robotee said:
I am currently testing the HI as a vaporizer. I have the new glass vaporizer attachment.

First impressions are I can't get the element close enough too herb when using a HiSi drain style bowl with my HiSi S15 Ice Tube. This is a high air flow application, so it might work better on a small pipe. More testing will be required.

The Herb Iron has loads of potential. The tip reaches full temp in about 20 secs. It gets hot enough to burn herb in about 10 secs. I just need to find the right all glass setup. Going to try it as a heat source for the Ubie.

This will be my choice for an on the go instant vapor with all glass whip. I will post my setup once a figure it out. I can tell you right now the it will not include the provided glass attachment.

Excited to hear from you!

GetVaked101,

Robotee

The glass attachment does not seal onto the HI. There is too much air flow for the size of the element.

I added a silicone o-ring to the base to produce a good seal. I figured out about 3 mins to heat up the glass enough to vape. I had to put the glass opening right on the herb. You need the right shape bowl to seal the glass attachment to the bowl. It will not get hot enough to turn the herb dark brown. I can only get it golden brown.

The o-ring is not going to be an adequate solution. The glass will not stay secure.

Robotee,

Robotee

I removed the metal sleeve/screw cap, spring, and the heat shield tubing. I placed the metal mounting clip over the element and inside the tip of the handle. Then I placed the glass attachment over the plastic threads of the handle, it only fits over the first couple of threads. I used heat shrink tubing over the glass and the remaining threads. Finally a Ty-Wrap to secure the shrink tube to the remaining threads. This has put the element further into the glass.

You still need to heat it up for 3-4 minutes. I was holding the glass about 2mm away from the herb and was able to get great hits. I can taste the pop corn, dark brown ABV.

The glass is more secure, but the element doesn't have any support.

Robotee,

GetVaked101

Have you contacted them? I mean if they sold you something that doesn't even fit... shouldn't there be some refund? Or replacement?

GetVaked101,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i haven't received mine yet as i am trying to give my lhs some business, however, they are waiting on a shipment.

anyways, i was always curious as to hi had actually thought about securing it to the hi. in the picture it looks like its just placed on. which in reality doesn't work very well, apparently. i hope i will have better luck with mine.

notmyrealUSERname,

Robotee

I have contacted them and they were very surprised that i was not getting enough heat. So I went back to the original installation to give it another try. It looks like the elements "cherry red zone" is starting to get bigger. I did a little more research and it is not uncommon for electric heating elements to have a break in period.

So now I am going to run the HI for 30 mins to break in the element, then I will re-test on my HiSi.

Robotee,

StickyShisha2

I just picked this up at a local store. (mine is green)

images

is there consensus about the design of a glass heatshield?
how much open space? how big should the holes be?
i would like to make it right the first time.
images

vbeazy

I hadn't realized how new this device was when I bought it a few months ago. I guess I was early on. They have colors now.

I must say first off that I bought this for combusting the herbs, not vaping. I was aware of the glass vaping attachment but it either wasn't out yet, or I didn't opt for it. So I can't comment on the attachment.

Anyway it's possible to vape using this without the attachment. You hold it the correct distance from your packed bowl of herbs and it does an 'okay' job.

For actually combusting, it is also great. You can lay it flat or put it right in the bowl. Heats up quickly. The main selling point of this is the button that you hold down to heat and let off to cool. People were using soldering irons that have to be un-plugged to turn off. I stayed away from those.

As someone said it is important you lay it down in a safe area. I dropped it once vertically and it left a hole in my carpet similar to a small cigarette (or joint) burn. Also I burned my hand once but it was my fault. Minor burn that didn't require attention, but could have been worse.

Overall it's good to know I'm not sucking in fuel from a lighter. It can be used to light joints as well if that's your thing.

I give it 2 thumbs up. Only downfall was the price, but hey it'd be nice if everything else was cheaper too right? I recommend it.

Robotee

When/if you get this for vaporizing, be sure to break in the element. Run it for 30 mins, after that the element will get hotter.

The glass attachment work well to vaporize using any pipe/bowl.

The attachment is a friction mount. Be careful not to knock the glass off the HI when its up to temp.

My conclusion is the is a perfect product for someone that loves to combust and/or vape using any pipe they wanted.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to combust.

My custom glass mount (explained in an earlier post) makes it a permanent vape tool. I now use it with a glass bat or one hitter. Vapor hits in less than 2 minutes.

Top Bottom