Herb Iron Glass

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i tried using the search but i wasn't able to find a thread on this item, although i did find a few threads where people were building there own version of this item - this looks to me like a homemade hakko with a silver surfer glass cover on it.

http://herbiron.com/wo/viewcus.php?wo=110273&sub=Herb-Iron-Glass

this could be pretty cool! does anyone have it? i sent an email to the company and i am waiting to hear how much it costs and its availability.
i think this could be the paupers vwh...

notmyrealUSERname,
Hahaha, I was looking at this last night thinking about making a post!

We're unknowingly shadowing each others' vapor trails, Notreal.

Does anyone know what reasonable (sub 40 bucks) ceramic heating iron is the one to get for this task?

BTW, your link is not going through for me, says to log in. I saw the website last night and it was 75+ shipping. About 20 bucks too much for me to just jump on it.

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
charliedontsurf:

Hahaha, I was looking at this last night thinking about making a post! We're unknowingly shadowing each others' vapor trails, Notreal.

hey what can i say - great minds vape alike :brow:

hemp;)goofy8cheerio:

sum1 said on home made vaporizer thread a $55 hakko iron with temp dial

actually, i think it has a power button. you simply hold it for different durations in order to reach different temps. at least that is my understanding of what is stated on the herb iron web page, under product features.

www.herbiron.com - correct link

i have seen the thread you mentioned, and i think this is probably just the mass produced version, which is why its more $, and possibly not as cool as something you made on your own. but it will be way easier to attain.

the part that i am interested in is the glass attachments. to me it looks like a glass elbow that fits over the heating element and will allow you to direct hot air directly into your bowl. if you go to the buy now section and click on herb iron glass youll see the picture of the elbow piece mounted on the herb iron.

thats the key part i think! so if anyone has any info on how it fits on the HI (herb iron - tired of typing it too much), or any other input lets hear it!

notmyrealUSERname,

caseball2051

I have exchanged some emails with a site rep, who seems very nice.

I linked him over here to answer any questions. and told him to prepare for a battering of questions from our more knowledgeable members!

I can comment on the glass because that was my first question for him.

"We apologize for the delay, everyone we had asked to make these did not have the desire or just did not have the capability to make them for us. We had been faced with the option of outsourcing our glass needs overseas, but we really wanted to exhaust all American glass companies first. We had even looked into purchasing our own glass manufacturing equipment and hiring a full time scientific glass blower. Currently Phat Tubz is taking on the challenge of making our accessories and they just moved into a larger facility so they should be cranking these out soon. I will put you into our mailing list for people that are waiting for the Vape Attachment. They should go for $20-30 each. I will try and keep the price on these as low as possible. "

Kudos for keeping business in the US.

another nice feature is the warranty. a 1 yr accidental break warranty (1 use) and a lifetime manufacturer defect warranty.

I think that some more techonologically saavy people make similiar products for a similar price using hakko irons, but does tampering with them void warranty? This helps avoid that situation.

caseball2051,

caseball2051

I asked about the DBV and SS heat covers and they will not fit.

"As far as glass covers, the ones you mentioned will not fit, we tried to find something on the market that would fit but most heater covers are too long and narrow. Plus, many many hours of testing went into overall length, hole placement, tip design, and a bunch of other stuff."

caseball2051,

caseball2051

I am supposed to get a unit to test when the glass becomes available, ive been checking their site evry day.

I hope its soon!

caseball2051,

george

so with the glass attachment you can succesfully use this as a vape on any regular glass bowl? sounds good to me!

george,
Yeah, the glass attachment, if it works like you'd hope, would be awesome - it' just an end with a hole to direct the heat toward a bowl and a small air intake on the opposite end. Can't wait for your review.

As for Hemp's question, the temperature would be controlled by the distance of herbiron from the material and also the strength of the inhale by the user. Just like people use a hakko, you can just stab the material and set it alight or you can hold it at a distance and attempt to vape.

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i went ahead and bought the last HI in my LHS (local hobby store), in anticipation of the glass pieces being released. i must say that i am impressed with this product so far.

pro's:

tastes great!
no burning butane!
super fast warm up time!
easy to hold, and manipulate.
easy to clean!

con's:

U need a place to put it down! very important! it will burn anything almost immediately! its a total buzz kill if you happen to touch anything plastic during a session.

so far i am very impressed. if you are the type who lights up with a heated glass rod then you need to make the switch. the cost of butane alone will pay for itself over time. also the HI is more effective then a heated glass rod.

i have found that the HI works really well with the glass hot knives bong attachment: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55621735/glass-hot-knives-cupped-color-changing

in fact, i think that the HI and GHK (glass hot knives) is the most effective solution for combusting hard pressed concentrates that i have come across yet.

as far as vaping with the HI, as is, - i.e. no glass attachment yet - apparently this is possible, but i haven't been able to do it yet. mostly i don't have the patience - i need my medicine NOW!! also the glass i have draws too much air so the heat is lost too quickly. i haven't tried it with a dry pipe yet though - hmmm next time!

Yeah, the glass attachment, if it works like you'd hope, would be awesome - it' just an end with a hole to direct the heat toward a bowl and a small air intake on the opposite end. Can't wait for your review.

i hope that there will be enough time for the air to be heated before it goes into the bowl. this is my only concern.

the glass vape has a fairly long tube in which the air travels for a relatively long distance in order to be heated to the right temp. mind you, the glass is the heating element, so it would need to be longer.

what does the airpath look like on the VWH? how long is it?

Bottom line is i like my HI. and i hope that with the glass attachment that i will be able to say fuckcombustion from now on, and still be able to use all my glass!

notmyrealUSERname,

stinkmeaner

notmyrealUSERname said:
what does the airpath look like on the VWH? how long is it?

Bottom line is i like my HI. and i hope that with the glass attachment that i will be able to say fuckcombustion from now on, and still be able to use all my glass!

The VHW has longer travel but it also has more mass, meaning more glass surface area with or ridges for turbulence.

This Herb Iron accessory looks like a nice little buy for someone that already has the Herb Iron and might want to vaporize occasionally, but if you want to vape full time then I would look elsewhere.

stinkmeaner,

george

They say the HerbIron has a preset temperature, what is it?

If the glass attachment makes a good vaporizer out of this i may very well buy it.

george,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
This Herb Iron accessory looks like a nice little buy for someone that already has the Herb Iron and might want to vaporize occasionally, but if you want to vape full time then I would look elsewhere.

other than making your own hakko version, what other vapes are out there that are $100 or less, have a ceramic heating element, glass on glass attachment, and fast heat up times?

these are the ones i could come up with off the top of my head;

the VWH is 2 - 3 times more expensive, once you buy all the accessories - and is not compatible with my existing glass.
the Herborzier, and canavape, are simliar in price to vwh.

the magic flight box is $150. but i don't consider this to be in the same category, as its not compatible with glass.

what else compares?

obviously the HI vape may not be the best daily driver, but bang for your buck i think it may be the best deal out there - provided it does the job its supposed to.

notmyrealUSERname,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
notmyrealUSERname said:
the magic flight box is $150.

You can easily find the MFLB online for $99 and often less.

I know that's off-topic but I felt compelled to correct that. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

pakalolo,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
notmyrealUSERname wrote:

the magic flight box is $150.

You can easily find the MFLB online for $99 and often less.

I know that's off-topic but I felt compelled to correct that. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

what side of THE fence are you on? i don't think it's the same side as me :lol:

the price i quoted is accurate for those of us who live in igloos (that are close to me, anyways) ;)

notmyrealUSERname,

stinkmeaner

notmyrealUSERname said:

other than making your own hakko version, what other vapes are out there that are $100 or less, have a ceramic heating element, glass on glass attachment, and fast heat up times?

these are the ones i could come up with off the top of my head;

the VWH is 2 - 3 times more expensive, once you buy all the accessories - and is not compatible with my existing glass.
the Herborzier, and canavape, are simliar in price to vwh.

the magic flight box is $150. but i don't consider this to be in the same category, as its not compatible with glass.

what else compares?

obviously the HI vape may not be the best daily driver, but bang for your buck i think it may be the best deal out there - provided it does the job its supposed to.

What else compares? Have you even used this thing? This thing looks like a pain in the ass to use, I mean to get decent vapor I am willing to bet the glass has to be hot and what does that mean? Does that mean you have to hold that little button down for 5-10 minutes? No temperature control, soldering irons usually get to around 800 deg F, what if you hold the button down too long?

For one, it doesn't come with a water pipe/bong, or a bowl so you would have to factor in a bong/bubbler/pipe just to use this $100 vaporizer. Factor in a cheap bong at $60-$70 and you are up to $160-$170 for something that is usable.

OR

You could just buy many of the complete vaporizers like:
*Vapolution for $109
*Vapor Cannon 3g for $129
*Vapor Doc for $125
*Aroma Classic for $139

These are prices list prices I found on websites that offer discounts to F.C. Members, so if you couple in the 12-15% discount you would receive, the prices start to balance out. Also consider that these are complete rigs that come with everything you need and in some cases accessories like grinders, bags, etc. Each of the models mentioned above use a Ceramic element except one, the Vapolution which uses a glass heating tube.

My opinion stands, REAL Vaporists would be better served with a model made for vaporizing, leave this thing to smokers that want to take a vapor hit once in a while.

stinkmeaner,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
notmyrealUSERname said:
the price i quoted is accurate for those of us who live in igloos (that are close to me, anyways)

Oh, okay. If you mean you are in Canada (which is where I am right now) then you can get the MFLB from vaporizers.ca for $103 Canadian. Please, if you want to respond let's take it over to the MFLB thread where it belongs. Thanks.

OB topic: I will stand under stinkmeaner's banner. Well, mostly. I don't think the glass needs to be heated. I watched one of his videos showing him "vaporizing" some bubble hash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itJ2U9JPtTk. I can't tell if he actually contacts the first lump of hash, but I'm pretty sure he's pressing down on the second one. Whichever, you can see the cherry glow when hash starts to combust near the end of both hits.

Not sure I can see any difference between this thing and a ceramic tip soldering iron, but I'm not as sophisticated as some of you.

stinkmeaner said:
No temperature control, soldering irons usually get to around 800 deg F, what if you hold the button down too long?

Indeed. I downloaded the instruction pamphlet, which starts with:

USES

Use as a lighter to light Cigars, Cigarettes, Pipes,
and more, by simply touching the tip of the unit to
the material you wish to light. Use as a vaporizer
with your Pipes and Glass Pieces...

Note the order: lighter first, vaporizer second.

pakalolo,

stinkmeaner

I have not used the thing so I have no idea if the glass HAS to be hot in order to get a decent hit but the glass usually works as a heat exchanger, most vapes that use a ceramic cartridge heater inside a glass tube benefit from the glass being fully heated.

stinkmeaner,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
excellent response stinkmeaner.

Have you even used this thing?

no i haven't used it yet. afaik no one else has either because its not avail. to the public yet.

I am willing to bet the glass has to be hot and what does that mean?

i am guessing that we all know the answer to this - if the glass gets hot over numerous heat cycles it could crack which would mean a limited lifetime for the glass piece. same issues that the glass vape has, vapocane, hd vape, clear dome filter, and possibly the vapexhale rain, etc.

Does that mean you have to hold that little button down for 5-10 minutes?

i doubt it. it seems to be up to operating temp in 20 seconds or so for me. i don't know what the operating temp is. it might take longer if the HI needs to heat the glass up too, and i am sure that the thickness of the glass will be a factor in the time required.

For one, it doesn't come with a water pipe/bong, or a bowl so you would have to factor in a bong/bubbler/pipe just to use this $100 vaporizer. Factor in a cheap bong at $60-$70 and you are up to $160-$170 for something that is usable.

good point. i hadn't considered the price of a bong.

You could just buy many of the complete vaporizers like:
*Vapolution for $109
*Vapor Cannon 3g for $129
*Vapor Doc for $125
*Aroma Classic for $139

These are prices list prices I found on websites that offer discounts to F.C. Members, so if you couple in the 12-15% discount you would receive, the prices start to balance out. Also consider that these are complete rigs that come with everything you need and in some cases accessories like grinders, bags, etc. Each of the models mentioned above use a Ceramic element except one, the Vapolution which uses a glass heating tube.

i admit that i had not considered any of the vapes you mentioned due to the fact that they all have a whip!!!! yes, i know you can attach a whip to any water pipe but that's not what i was looking for.

the VapeXhale would be another vape that i would consider to be in the same category as the ones i have previously mentioned - although its more $ (and not avail yet, either).

the supreme might be another vape to look at... not quite the same though, more $ too.

My opinion stands, REAL Vaporists would be better served with a model made for vaporizing, leave this thing to smokers that want to take a vapor hit once in a while.

based on the length of the Hakko and SSV cover thread (i have only actually read a few pages), the HI with a glass attachment could be an effective vape. its the basically the same thing isn't it?

i bought the the HI because i am a smoker. anyone who has read more than one of my posts has probably figured out that i am not a 'REAL' vaporist. however, i know that for my long term health i need to make the switch to vaporizing.

i have come to this forum in order to seek out info about products, and opinions on those products in order to determine what might best suit my needs. from what little reading i have done so far i have discovered that there isn't a 'serious' vaper on here, who only has one vape.

pakolo:

Not sure I can see any difference between this thing and a ceramic tip soldering iron, but I'm not as sophisticated as some of you.

you say this like there is supposed to be a difference? it is, what it is.

notmyrealUSERname,

stinkmeaner

That is what I mean by real vaporist, a person that doesn't smoke anymore, so since the Herb Iron was built to Burn herbs and alternatively adapted to vaporizing with an aftermarket accessory, I just figured a full time vaporizer user wouldn't even want to bother with a device that can be used to smoke with

Those vapes that I mentioned are obviously not for the person that doesn't like whips, but you could always hook the whip to a bong which works very well. I have a whip based vaporizer which is fun sometimes but I haven't been using a whip too much lately myself, the Supreme has been getting most of my intention since I find it the most fun and hands on to use along with superior vapor production to anything else I have tried, plus I just like the clearing milky tubes.

stinkmeaner,

phienomenal

I'd recommend everyone to get one if they're interested in it but the owner of the company is a complete d-bag.

He was on glassdistrict trying to plug Herb Iron and was making throwaway accounts to support his arguments it was really funny. post #62 hahahah he's like oh the herb iron is really great.

http://www.glassdistrict.com/forums/lounge/4030-herb-iron.html

Like the previous poster mentioned, it is a combustion tool first and a vaporizing tool second. However with a glass attachment then it's pretty much just a Silver Surfer Vaporizer that you can move around.

The ceramic heating tip is the same tip on a Silver Surfer and a Hakko soldering iron. If you're looking to save the money go with a Hakko.

If you like the switch design of the Herb Iron, then just get a Hakko with a power strip that has a switch viola.

His super condescending replies are enough to steer clear away from this product lol.

phienomenal,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
phienomenal:

well after reading that whole thread, all i can say is that Josey Wales summed it up best in post #69:

"Its like watching 2 people argue over who wears more makeup: a hooker or a prostitute!"

from what i can tell - the major complaint about the HI is the price, which is about half of the Phedor, and 2x the hakko. seems to me like the HI is priced appropriately (if slightly high) for what the market can bear. i think he would sell more if he lowered the price a bit. i always look for deals - if you always pay full price for everything then that's your fault!...

second complaint; using the button. if you would rather have a switch, then tape the button down and use the switch on a power bar, or plug it into a timer so it won't be left on all day. i think this is such a minor issue - set it up the way you like and forget about it.

when i started this thread my intentions were to discuss the herb iron glass attachment as a vaporizer. since the glass adapter isn't available yet, i thought i would share my thoughts on the HI itself, it takes two to tango... (as they say).

stinkmeaner:

the Supreme has been getting most of my intention since I find it the most fun and hands on to use along with superior vapor production to anything else I have tried, plus I just like the clearing milky tubes.

i love clearing milky glass too! i can't see myself neglecting my glass collection in favor of a bag or whip style vape. so far, i think that i am leaning toward a Supreme as a possible DD, but i am drawn toward the vapexhale which is more $, but you get glass too! i have ruled out the VWH (and the like) - too many quality control issues IMO. there are new vapes appearing on the market almost weekly, maybe one of them will be THE one. until i figure out what i want, i thought the herb iron glass vape might help bridge the gap between combustion, and vaping.

Top Bottom