Help with Titanium nail attachment

loyalties

Hey Everyone,

I picked up some new glass on friday (pictures will follow) and love it. However they did not have the right size glass joint to fit the 14.5 mm ( i believe its 14.5, that is the regular size when compared to the "oversized" fittings...correct me if im wrong?) hole.

I am wondering if you guys can recommend a good place online to order a straight up and down 14.5 glass joint, TI nail, and dome?

or does anyone suggest the hotplate type dabbing attachments compared to nails/domes?

loyalties,

SD_haze

There's lots of affordable TI nails out there but they tend to make me suspicious. I can't confirm how warranted that is, but that's my feeling.

Oregon Glass Blower on ioffer sells oil dome setups for $41 shipped (glass nail) or $53 shipped (TI nail).
-Dome
-Nail (two of em for the glass package)
-two dabbers
-adapter (straight or angled available)
http://www.ioffer.com/i/14mm-glass-oil-dome-set-518240181
(Note: This adapter fits a 14mm joint but expands to an 18mm with an 18mm dome and 18mm nail)

SD_haze,

loyalties

ordered the TI nail kit! thanks for the awesome link, I tried getting the equip up here and the TI nail alone was 50 . Add dome and joint to that and your lookin close to 80-100$!

loyalties,

Tommii

Subdivision Founder / Sublimator Ambassador
ordered the TI nail kit! thanks for the awesome link, I tried getting the equip up here and the TI nail alone was 50 . Add dome and joint to that and your lookin close to 80-100$!

a ti nail can go up to 100$ alone. However, I suggest that you do not use the ti nail included, mainly because most nails are not GRADE 2 TITANIUM.

I would only trust Highly Educated.

If you can stick a magnet to the nail, it's not pure.

Tommii,

SD_haze

a ti nail can go up to 100$ alone. However, I suggest that you do not use the ti nail included, mainly because most nails are not GRADE 2 TITANIUM.

I would only trust Highly Educated.

If you can stick a magnet to the nail, it's not pure.
I definitely wouldn't use a TI nail that reacts to a magnet, but I have seen nails under $30 that had no magnetic reaction. For what that's worth (which is something but maybe not everything)

SD_haze,

loyalties

thanks for the info guys, had I had known before ordering from him I woulda went with the glass :p oh well ill do the magnet check and its bad ill go down to our local dispensary and grab a good one.

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between Grade 2 and grade 1? Is it that the grade 1 is not purely titanium? Also does this effect the taste of the concentrates / cause harmful effects?

loyalties,

SD_haze

thanks for the info guys, had I had known before ordering from him I woulda went with the glass :p oh well ill do the magnet check and its bad ill go down to our local dispensary and grab a good one.

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between Grade 2 and grade 1? Is it that the grade 1 is not purely titanium? Also does this effect the taste of the concentrates / cause harmful effects?
You might be able to contact OregonGlassBlower and change the order before it ships.

I don't have a 100% answer as this is kind of a new phenomenon. Not a whole lot of objective info out there. The best reads I've found on the subject are

Identifying Chinese Nails

Simple comparison of Grade1 vs Grade2

Note: Both of these blogs posts might have some bias just because HE sells premium TI nails.

SD_haze,

loyalties

thanks for the links! I have just emailed the seller asking if he knew if the nail was grade 1 or grade 2. If it is grade 1 ill kindly request he swap for 2 glass nails. Thanks again for all the help guys!

loyalties,

loyalties

just received a lightning fast response from the seller. He states the TI nail is a Grade 2 nail, as well he upgraded me for free to a dome with a handle for easy placement and removal. Thanks again for the link this guy is legittt :)

loyalties,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Source: http://gmttitanium.com/english_tremeny/technical_information/grades_of_titanium/

Different grades of titanium
Titanium Grade 1-4 is pure Titanium, the other grades are alloys. Pure Titanium is used due to it's high corrosion resistance, the alloys because of the extremely high strength to weight ratio.
  • Grade 1 Pure Titanium, relatively low strength and high ducility. Plate heat exchangers
  • Grade 2 The pure titanium most used. The best combination of strength, ducility and weldability. Piping systems.
  • Grade 3 High strength Titanium, used for Matrix-plates in shell and tube heat exchangers.
  • Grade 5 The most manufactured titanium alloy. Exceedingly high strength. High heat resistance. Aerospace, subsea.
  • Grade 7 Superior corrosion resistance in reducing and oxiding enviroments. Chemical Industry.
  • Grade 9 Very high strength and corrosion resistance. Hydraulic piping, subsea.
  • Grade 11 Applications as for gr 7. Suitable for deep drawing.
  • Grade 12 Better heat resistance than pure Titanium. Applications as for grade 7 and 11. Shell and tube heat exchangers.

And this site offers more detail on the grade differences: http://www.supraalloys.com/titanium-grades.php

smokum,

SD_haze

Source: http://gmttitanium.com/english_tremeny/technical_information/grades_of_titanium/

Different grades of titanium
Titanium Grade 1-4 is pure Titanium, the other grades are alloys. Pure Titanium is used due to it's high corrosion resistance, the alloys because of the extremely high strength to weight ratio.
  • Grade 1 Pure Titanium, relatively low strength and high ducility. Plate heat exchangers
  • Grade 2 The pure titanium most used. The best combination of strength, ducility and weldability. Piping systems.
  • Grade 3 High strength Titanium, used for Matrix-plates in shell and tube heat exchangers.
  • Grade 5 The most manufactured titanium alloy. Exceedingly high strength. High heat resistance. Aerospace, subsea.
  • Grade 7 Superior corrosion resistance in reducing and oxiding enviroments. Chemical Industry.
  • Grade 9 Very high strength and corrosion resistance. Hydraulic piping, subsea.
  • Grade 11 Applications as for gr 7. Suitable for deep drawing.
  • Grade 12 Better heat resistance than pure Titanium. Applications as for grade 7 and 11. Shell and tube heat exchangers.

And this site offers more detail on the grade differences: http://www.supraalloys.com/titanium-grades.php
So I wager there's a lot of grade 5 TI alloy nails out there, if its the most produced. Even if the seller insists its grade 2 there simply is not a lot of accountability.

SD_haze,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
I wonder how good the magnet test is... Sure if it fails its bad, but I took one to several stores and tested their stock... From the cheapest to the HE version. All passed. I have not seen one sold as TI that didn't yet... Wonder if that means much or these stores have good ones :)

All the brands I have bought also pass.

If I was going from a male-male, globe and a nail setup - that's not for direct inject - a female flower setup. I would forget the globe and male/male and get the www.ruvaped.com domeless nail for 18/14 females. Its the best head I have seen. Comes part and easily cleaned. Large and just works. I prefer it over my Highly Educated fully configurable one that fits anything... Its nice to, but for use, I think the flat bottom w/o a center tube draw is nice. You just drop a dab on...

PhotoRider,

Tommii

I wonder how good the magnet test is... Sure if it fails its bad, but I took one to several stores and tested their stock... From the cheapest to the HE version. All passed. I have not seen one sold as TI that didn't yet... Wonder if that means much or these stores have good ones :)

All the brands I have bought also pass.

If I was going from a male-male, globe and a nail setup - that's not for direct inject - a female flower setup. I would forget the globe and male/male and get the www.ruvaped.com domeless nail for 18/14 females. Its the best head I have seen. Comes part and easily cleaned. Large and just works. I prefer it over my Highly Educated fully configurable one that fits anything... Its nice to, but for use, I think the flat bottom w/o a center tube draw is nice. You just drop a dab on...

The one i bought on ebay failed the test

Tommii

Ugh! good reason not to buy there. Didn't know ebay allowed that. I know no pipes :(
it was pretty bad, This is when i first started getting into concentrates, bought a new set with HE nail while the other one was still shipping

Tommii,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
might be SS not TI.
Couple pies I bought came with SS nails. Not that I use them.

PhotoRider,

loyalties

im happy to report the TI nail included by organ glass blower is in fact a grade 2 and passed the magnet test :)

loyalties,

mestizo

might be SS not TI.
Couple pies I bought came with SS nails. Not that I use them.
Most SS is non magnetic, IMO the magnet test should be one of many test, not the only one, most metals are non magnetic unless they have a fair amount of iron in it.
Also, the difference between the four grades of pure TI is about one percent only, the other elements in it being mostly gasses which I'm sure it changes after several applications of heat to the point of torching it red hot.
And the following question is to everyone:
Don't we do most of our cooking of food with SS which is considered the safest?
I always wonder who was the first person who thought of TI grade 2 and why, did he do any research beforehand? I know TI is safe for human use but never before humans used it the way dabbers do.

mestizo,

SD_haze

Most SS is non magnetic, IMO the magnet test should be one of many test, not the only one, most metals are non magnetic unless they have a fair amount of iron in it.
Also, the difference between the four grades of pure TI is about one percent only, the other elements in it being mostly gasses which I'm sure it changes after several applications of heat to the point of torching it red hot.
So do we have any user-tests for figuring out if a non-magnetic Nail is, in fact, SS?

SD_haze,

mestizo

So do we have any user-tests for figuring out if a non-magnetic Nail is, in fact, SS?
My advice to you is to take your nail to a large recycling yard and ask them to test it, they have gadgets that tells them in a second what type of metal they are dealing with.

mestizo,
Top Bottom