Help Narrowing Down a Portable

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
No offense towards sticks but I think he needed a J-Hook or torch and to revisit. You only have to heat for 4 seconds and inhale without a flame for 4 more seconds. Maybe a bit longer with a soft flame or if you're afraid to bring the flame in closer.

VaporGenie is open airflow no restrictions like the Lotus there is much less heating and vapor forms instantly.

Here's 10 minutes of proof.

I really suggest a J-Hook in general as just like the Lotus it provides an exceptionally pleasant experience while allowing you to get feedback during your hit.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The coil, on the other hand, they'd totally get.

The coil was a total fail for me.

As to the Lotus vs Genies, let me clarify. What I don't like about the Genies is part of the heating process is the beginning of the hit where you must draw on it to get the ceramic up to temp. So by the time it is up to temp and ready to produce vapor, I have already filled my lungs more than half way...lots of sucking at first with no vapor. With the Lotus, you don't have to suck while preheating. You just torch it and you get vapor once you start your draw, so it is a more relaxing hit.

They are both big hitters that can combust if not using proper technique. I have mastered the standard Genie as well as the Glass Genie and can get crazy hits off them, but I prefer the Lotus.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer

As to the Lotus vs Genies, let me clarify. What I don't like about the Genies is part of the heating process is the beginning of the hit where you must draw on it to get the ceramic up to temp. So by the time it is up to temp and ready to produce vapor, I have already filled my lungs more than half way...lots of sucking at first with no vapor. With the Lotus, you don't have to suck while preheating. You just torch it and you get vapor once you start your draw, so it is a more relaxing hit.

They are both big hitters that can combust if not using proper technique. I have mastered the standard Genie as well as the Glass Genie and can get crazy hits off them, but I prefer the Lotus.
If you use a torch or bring the flame close in it feels more like a Daisy, you should get a huge cloud of vapor from just 6 seconds of inhaling. The herb is not going to combust or get vaped too quickly, the filter doesn't take that long to heat up nor does your hit have to exceed 8 seconds. I wouldn't recommend a soft flame lighter if you're bring the flame near the heater.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

basement farmer

My face is melting...

I understand and agree with your observations. As paytonpenn and you have correctly mentioned, the airpath is completely different between the two of them..especially if using the al. stem w. the Lotus. My preference tends to lean towards a less restrictive path. Not that I don't like the al. stemmed Lotus (I have it/ use it all the time), but I prefer using a J hook with it..... probably for it's open pathway more than any other reason. In fact, my recollection was that it took me a while to dial in my draw technique with the Lotus because I had gotten so used to the VG....I really didn't care for it at first.

It's also my opinion that the Lotus is very difficult to combust with relative to any of the other flame driven devices I've been using. So in that regard it's probably a better way to introduce the concept of vaporization to the ignorant masses.

As far as the coil goes, like I said, I have no personal experience with it. From everything I've read it sounds like it's fairly crude even when compared to the rest of the VG lineup. I only brought it up as a matter of practicality. The classic or HC would offer better performance for sure, would likely be more forgiving and the vapor product is completely acceptable IME.

The coil looks like it would be marginally less crack pipe like in appearence when in use too so if being somewhat less conspicuous is important to the user, this may matter.

I've heard that burning your fingers is an expectation when learning to handle the coil....it might be worth having it around just to watch that happen (to others)

basement farmer,
Reactions: Skyscraper

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I see plenty of burning fingers from the Classic, HC, and Bronze models when users don't know how to hold the soft flame lighter.

Never seen someone burn anything with the coil though.

Last edited:
paytonpenn,

hoptimum

I see plenty of burning fingers from the Classic, HC, and Bronze models when users don't know how to hold the soft flame lighter.

Never seen someone burn anything with the coil though.

I use a pipe lighter, so no problemo with the lighter. I'd like to try a coil at some point, though. It seems like it might well survive the zombie apocalypse

Skyscraper

Good point hoptimum. How precious that stash of herbs will be in an ominous future.

I must not be well educated in the Lotus, I didn't realize there was draw restriction but the nature of the design makes it apparent that it would be. A good easy pipe draw for a nice inhale on demand would be crucial for recreating that smoking feel to me. Kickin back with a pipe on the couch or something, instead of a session with the Solo or da Buddha (which really reminds me of a hookah or a water pipe in the way you can hit it, a large volume of vapor with a whip). I find my M1Y1 Solo has a tight draw, although supposedly better than older models.

paytonpenn showed me that VaporGenies are pretty worthy vapes for the price, I may just go with a nice handcarved model to have around. Using one w/ a single flame torch like that looks like an easy technique. Rotate flame AROUND the metal ring. I kind of like the look of those aluminum pipe vaporgenies, as that's something I can clean if I ever need to travel internationally.

Skyscraper,

basement farmer

My face is melting...
I have the aluminum model too...eeetz nice.

A torch is the way to go. Lot's on this over at the VG discussion. It's harder to combust than you think it should be. OF turned me on to this method.

Really, the Lotus is a must-have, so you probably will get one some day anyway. It's just that it's not something I'd care to pass around....you know how people are.

Skyscraper

Man I'm trying to keep my VAS in remission, but her I am making this thread so that's obviously not working.. Lol the Lotus is that good eh? Unfortunately I do know how they are, used to share the MFLB with a friend, and he would always blacken the herb

Skyscraper,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Using one w/ a single flame torch like that looks like an easy technique. Rotate flame AROUND the metal ring..
The technique is actually easier and more free then that. You can just point it straight in you have a lot of control, if heating directly the hit forms even quicker this is how I have been using it as of late. What vapes have you gone through already?

paytonpenn,

basement farmer

My face is melting...
The technique is actually easier and more free then that. You can just point it straight in you have a lot of control, if heating directly the hit forms even quicker this is how I have been using it as of late. What vapes have you gone through already?

Yeah, besides the occasional stir, I don't think that the VG's are that challenging it terms of technique. Basically, when I feel hot air crossing my tongue I let off on the heat. That's about it for me.

I really think that Skyscraper ought to just get it over with and buy one of each. It happens to all of us.

basement farmer,
Reactions: Skyscraper
Top Bottom