HELP ME stop coughing so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

blais

So ever since I started smoking/vaping I have always coughed a lot, and I have no idea why. I have tried to take very small hits but I just like the big bong hits, and even with small ones i tend to cough. all my friends can take huge hits and not cough at all and if they do its just 1 or 2 coughs haha. Ive tried water in bongs ice in bongs and nothing seams to help that much.Sometimes I end up coughing so much after a hit that i just stop not even being medicated because i have just coughed so much. I dont cough up anything i just sorta have a dry cough that is driving me nuts.
I admit i cough less when vaping but its still too much
any tips or solutions?

blais,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Blais,

Since you seem to need alternatives to water-conditioning what about using (Mist Maker) fog instead?

For all practical purposes it was coughing which forced me to quit smoking, vaporization made this issue much less acute but i still cough a bit (depending on load quality) so i've started exploring this solution (it's on FC already). Another possibility would be to cook your cannabis to eat it instead; a 3rd one, well... I'll stick with those two for the time being!

:peace:

Egzoset,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Just curious if you have tried using warm water some people says this helps by moisturizing the vapor more. Admittedly i dont have this problem i can hold coughs down pretty easily even when taking large dabs i rarely cough. Did you recently start vaping? Pure THC vapor can kinda tickle your throat and it can take a while to get used to. I would try smaller hits with warm water filtration and high diffusion :2c:

blais

Well I have been combusting for a few years but I just recently started to vape mostly instead of combusting, trying to be more healthy and its abit hard for me to get used to not smoking but im trying.
and what do you mean how could i get a mist maker vape? or even fog that sounds cool but i dont know how it would work

blais,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Blais,

...what do you mean... ...i dont know how it would work

Here's the type of fog generator i refered to:

(*Steam Inhaler* Anyone Use One? Maybe With Vaporizing., 2010-Nov-7)

The Mist Maker is only 1 brand, such devices are especially popular when Halloween arrives and hence i'd expect to find some around at this time of the year, most likely a clone though...

Two years ago i started searching on the subject, the links got broken since then but i still managed to gather these illustrations:

30xbymg.jpg

33m6b68.jpg

5ytbpw.jpg

I've tested fog-conditioning both with and without a bag. In severe cases i prefer to have everything blended in a ballon as this renders my sessions much more uniform from begin to end, which helps with the learning-curve, etc...

The reader must be warned that these "pucks" may leak when an electronic failure occurs, just don't ever trust the potting inside as i've found it doesn't always provide a proper seal! As a result this concept is experimental and i don't even know of other members who tried it actually. All i can tell is that it seems to outperform water-conditioning. Moreover, there's no use for a fancy diffuser here, which in turn would simplify ($) the required bong structure significantly...

Anyway, should you decide to give it a try please take great care in implementing a seal of your own: manage with the puck's base by applying a generous amount of hot glue, covered with a thick sheet of plastic to improve containment before you place it inside the bottle, whatever, etc. Ideally the piezo element should sit in water ALONE with its driver circuitry OUTSIDE the cannabic path... Also, i suspect that putting a Mist Maker in a small-volume bottle as shown above may happen to shorten its lifespan (no surprize if it dies early)... Ultimately a glass bong with nothing else but a pair of wires to feed the piezo element inside would cause no health concerns due to catastrophic failure modes but the whole concept remains experimental, nonetheless.

:science:

It's still unclear how fog-conditioning works, a member of FC theorized that its action has something to do with heat but i started to think it's simply about dryness/moisture. Such related discussions took place in the HerbalAire dedicated area and elsewhere.

blais

That is so awesome, great idea unfortunately I dont think I know enough electronically to safely try that, I would totally buy something like that tho that would infuse your vapor with fog or mist. thats great im so surprised this hasnt been made yet.

blais,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again,

Well, the most challenging task of my experiment was to pass the power cable through the center hole. The rest was easy since i only used a hot-glue pistol and stuff found at a local hardware store...

A pair of electric joints to power the puck is all it takes, really, but i still can see how inconvenient this can be. Perhaps StinkMeaner's suggestion might open the door on alternatives in this context:

31q1ZKdIUEL._SS500_.jpg

The appliance has been certified already, one would simply need to drill a hole and plug in his vaporizer somehow...

39.gif

...and there's always the possibility to get an idea what fog-conditioning could be like just by vaping in a sauna 1st...

Egzoset,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
That's funny I was searching for that exact thing a couple hours ago.

I found that : http://www.plaza7.com/fr-eur/mist-maker-fogger-mister-humidifier-pond-water-fountain-p18814.html

pc385za_1.jpg

I just need to check if I have a 24V AC power supply around here and I'll place order.
This is really cheap !

Edit : A adapted power supply costs 15€. You add 5€ for the generator, so for 20€ and the price of a cheap bong you may have a really efficient moisture conditioner

I'm definitely gonna try this

My main concern is about the eventual plastic taste contamination. I may look into some higher quality similar pieces. Is there any medical grade ultrasonic units ?

This one is gonna be really easy to put in the bottom of my regular bong. It has already the hole for the cable in the bong and the device here has a joint included. It has chances to perform great, I've been thinking about that for weeks

Egzoset, I remember about theses pictures, that was a great prototype. Too bad nobody hang on to that idea to make something really great of it. I'm convinced its the future of moisture conditioning. Tomorrow vapes will have theses integrated in the air path.

The dryness is a real pain for us users with sensible respiratory system

Roger D,
Reactions: Egzoset

blais

I think i will look into ordering that it looks like it would fit perfectly, would you put it through the mouth piece or what? let me know if that works

blais,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
No, through the side hole of the glass bong. Its a bong designed for combustion so there is a air hole that you cover with your finger when you pull. You release your finger when the shit goes down to get massive finishing air flow. It was poor as a bubbler but it may be the perfect fit for this.

Of course I'm gonna shot some videos if its working well

Roger D,

blais

Oh you mean a carb hole, yah im not a huge fan of those but that would probably work great.

blais,

blais

If you end up buying that and its working well I will have to look for a cheap bong witha carb in it to give that a shot, I have to admit I added some snow to my tubes and that helped alot to cool down and sooth my throat.

blais,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations CA5H,

Nice finding! Though, looking at the photograph, i'm estimating your carb hole would need to be about 16 mm in diameter - which corresponds to the size of a piezoelectric disc (yes, this part can be replaced!)...

I'm convinced its the future...

That i can't tell for sure. Nobody can garantee there won't be side-effects and neither what those could be. My testimony is to the effect that fog-conditioning offers a good trade-off in terms of aroma/flavour preservation, while beating water-filtration relatively to coughing. Plus, it doesn't seem to hurt on the short run, in any case... Perhaps someone has already started collecting data and you'll see fog-bongs on the shelves soon, go figure. In the meantime i guess it's OKay to catch an opportunity to bring back this particular topic on top of the pile again. Just in case!

Well, you can bet i'm looking forward for events to come in this matter. Have fun, good luck!

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
ADDENDUM:

I've just found there are at least 2 transducer disk sizes, the next larger one being 20 mm (¾")...

Egzoset,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I've got my first mist maker. Its not the one up above, I'm still waiting for it, but a bigger one I got from a trusted shop while waiting for the other to come. It does not fit in my bong. I just put it in a large glass filled with purified water close to my bong. I inhale the mist after my bong rips and it seems to relieve the dryness a lot !!

Roger D,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations CA5H,

...a bigger one I got from a trusted shop...

The VH sauce bottle seen on this image was a tight fit:

Mist Maker generated Fog in 3-way convertible Water Toy

Its capacity was only 341 ml... Here's my current setup:

e8pqva.jpg

Please notice how i raised the "puck" in order to surround it with more water than before. I used a larger bottle too (455 ml), for the very same reason - e.g. i came to believe the possible lack of a proper "load" propably killed my previous nebulizers (water is required to cover the piezo element and also to cool down the electronics)...

Also, keep in mind it's a 3-way solution:

1) Basic water wash
2) Fog conditioning
3) Wash 'n Fog!!

Strategy #3 (with internal "J" bubbling tube) is the most effective, if this method still fails for you then it may be better just to cook and eat the herbs instead!!

;)

It does not fit in my bong. I just put it in a large glass filled with purified water close to my bong. I inhale the mist after my bong rips and it seems to relieve the dryness a lot !!

So i guess StinkMeaner's suggestion made even more sense than i had suspected until today!

Thank you CA5H for sharing the experience...

Egzoset,
Reactions: CA5H

Egzoset

Banned
Gee! Mine looks so bad in comparison:

:ko:

I loved this precious moment you just offered us CA5H, every part of it! Thanks again!!

:clap:

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
Your prototype is the first mist maker used with vapor I've seen, certainly not the best way to integrate it in the air path, anyway I can't see how to do that with common household stuff.
I noticed using tubing causes too much condensation of the mist. To get better results we have to conceive or find a kind of plastic or glass piece who specially fits to receive the mist module and the water, providing a unlimited airflow, with a nice mouthpiece and a 18mm air intake to fit every kind of vape.
Think about it. ZERO drag & serious conditioning

For the moment I'm pretty sure that mist is pretty safe to inhale. My mist maker does not have any smell or plastic taste. I change the water often by precaution

I have coughing issues specially with high temp vaping. I think its the THC that is making us cough in the first place. Thick vapors irritates

Roger D,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again!

...I can't see how to do that with common household stuff.

It could hardly get more "common" than this: a sauce bottle, brass plumbing hardware assembled with hot glue, aquarium tubing... All food-grade. My initial intent was only to make my experience accessible to the masses in order to render a discussion possible on the basis of our individual evaluations.

StinkMeaner's post makes more sense everytime i revisit it but i was after a more affordable deal and neither of those two very different scenarios attracted popular attention anyway...

...we have to conceive or find a kind of plastic or glass piece who specially fits to receive the mist module and the water, providing a unlimited airflow, with a nice mouthpiece and a 18mm air intake to fit every kind of vape.

At the time i only wished curious readers to consider a test of their own: my priority was to get someone to try fog conditioning to begin with, beyond that it's up to the community to decide as i've done my share about it! Now that i've made a few circles around this technology my position is that it shouldn't be trusted except for use in an EXPERIMENT, that's my advice of caution.

Actually i'm unable to endorse any concept where one of these "pucks" would be dropped inside a glass container for use on a routine basis while i have concerns about reliability versus health risks. As sold the Mist maker is OKay for my purpose but it's definitely not something i'd want to see in fancy glassware. Too bad but a person who'd be tempted to launch a commercial venture targeting the fog conditioning niche first needs to find a way to remove the electronics from our air/vapour paths. This means that brave individual may very well have to design and produce a "clean" driver-less socket for the piezo-ceramic element, with an adpater to plug into a standard Mist Maker receptacle remotely located OUTSIDE, in a water container of its own, seperated physically from the paths to my lungs by a pair of electrical conductors (trivial but effective!)... Otherwise it would remain "experimental" and i sense this single prospect may be causing fears...

ZERO drag...

Sounds good. I've tried to acquire some compatible glassware, actually. This attempt failed because i didn't see how to connect my HerbalAire to it, but i might find one in the weeks/months to come, eventually, during my next trip to Montreal for example (the opportunities are just too limited in my remote country-side town).

At this time the most important step perhaps would be to collect testimonies from a diverse set of vaporists from all horizons. So, i guess those people need to be told about ways to experiment with fog before anything else. I'm confident glass blowers can/will take over once fog conditioning has gained in popularity, eventually - but they won't need to do much really as all it takes is a way to suspend the piezo element in the center of a water volume - which i believe isn't in the hands of glass blowers at this time.

There's no glass in the Mist Maker, i'd rather bet on manufacturers working with other materials instead (e.g. metal, plastics, ceramic, etc.), in order to reduce the intrusion of electronic hardware into our air/vapour paths as much as it's conceivable!... The artistic touch would come right next.

In any case the good news is that there are a few ways now reasonably accessible to fog enthousiasts:

1) Go vaporize in a sona!
2) Try StinkMeaner's idea
3) Play with a Mist Maker

No matter what, if nobody sees the benefit then lets forget about dreaming of fancy glass!

Egzoset,
Reactions: t-dub

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

I like negative-pressure bags systems myself, the blending helps me with coughing but it's not always satisfying and that's how i came to investigate fog conditioning. In fact i've consumed bags using that specific form of "filtration" and as a result i must revise my previous list:

4) Wash 'n Fog a Bag!

:D

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Edward Hyde,

try the vaporlung...

Yes, why not! While having this form of filtration accessory handy, to complement your VaporLung:

It's simple, easy to keep higienic and relatively safe as long as the nebulizer "puck" doesn't enter into catrastophic failure...

:science:

I share the views of CA5H: this technology IS worth attention and it may in fact represent the next breathrouh in this lucrative universe! It's only a matter of devising safe/convenient integration into a water toy, nothing out of reach IMHO!

Not to mention the type of setup as illustrated above is even more simpler to build than a VaporLung, as a matter of fact! Plus it makes an impressive center piece during Halloween or when Friday falls on the 13th day of the month...

;)

Personally i've found that fog conditioning does help a great deal when done carefully and CA5H, preceed by StinkMeaner before him, appears to be showing us a non-invasive/viable method.

Now here's what my own experiments have been made of recently:

qq92cn.jpg

It's the same parts count with lots of synthetics and maintenance could become a problem in the hands of a stoner... I'd recommend the CA5H approach over mine to anyone who's curious about fog: anyway, lets just mention my ultrasonic humidifier was meant to supply moisutre to my plants via some simple distributing system but it turned into this instead, even before the appliance could reach my cultivation space (i sort of got inspired in the process ii guess!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom