Heat Gun Question

jx80

Hi, how is everyone? First I wanted to say it is nice to see a community who understands vaporizing and combustion, I have never met any one who likes vaporizing. I also wanted to ask any heat gun users about a variable heat gun I recently picked, I was unsure if it was safe and contacted the company, who said their gun has 4 ceramic cylinders that are attached to a + board with heating coils wrapped around which is wrapped with mica paper. Does this sound safe? I have also been wandering, what is the best vapor to you, one that is a little clear and misty or a thick one like the volcano? Thanks for your help.

jx80,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
depends on the brand of heatgun, but usually ceramic heater= ok

i know a lot of people who turn their volcano so high that it combusts..... then they think theyre still vaporizing but that *proper* vaporization temps arent hot enough... so they turn it up to the max temp :rolleyes: :disgust:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome to the forum. :wave: Hope you'll stick around and join us dedicated vaporists.

I have never met any one who likes vaporizing.
Does that mean you've run into a lot of people who have tried it and think it sucks? That would be unusual. Or have you just asked a few bong fiends? :lol:

Not sure what to tell you about the heat gun. The best all around brand, and most frequently used for vaping, is Steinel. I don't know of any guns built specifically for vaporizing, so it's hard to say as far as safety. Hell, there are quite probably some vapes that aren't safe. Don't trust the made in China cheapies personally. Have you already bought the heat gun? If so, what are you using it with? What made you decide to go with a heat gun?

As far as vapor goes, different vapes do produce thinner or thicker vapor because of differences in design, but the amount of THC and cannabinoids that get vaporized is more a matter of how much herb is exposed to the correct temp. Given the same amount of herb and temp, you'll get the same amount of vapor from a homemade lightbulb vape as you will from a Volcano or any other vape. A Volcano bag only has thick vapor (large amount) in it if there was a large amount loaded in the filling chamber. As to preference, I think most people like a pretty thick vapor hit-more tasty that way. But although vapor is much, much milder than smoke, some people can still get a bigger vapor hit from some models than they can handle. I can hold big hits much easier than my wife can, for example. So it's a matter of personal preference and/or lung tolerance.

max,

Purple-Days

One of the few instances where I would disagree with you, Max. "Given the same amount of herb and temp, you'll get the same amount of vapor from a homemade lightbulb vape as you will from a Volcano or any other vape." , says max.

There is a fundamental difference between conduction and convection. Skillet/Saute vs. Swirling hot air of Convection. BC Vape vs. any convection unit, who wins ?

Any mention of mica makes me wonder about silicosis. Probably worth checking before breathing it for a few years. :p

As a vape manufacturer, believe me, very few are watching your health. But you might want to.

Tom

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I've always been skeptical about heatguns as well. None of them are intended to be used as inhalation devices afaik so it's fairly likely the internal air paths contain undesirables, especially when most of 'em are probably being manufactured as cheap as possible.

The best I've seen touted for vaporizing is the Steinel HG 2510 ESD. Emailed Steinel,

Could you tell me if the HG 2510 ESD is safe to use in a medical application as a hot air generator intended for inhalation?

Specifically, can you tell me what exposed materials exist in the airpath/heater?
Sent basically the same email to Vriptech.

We will see. :)

Purple-Days said:
One of the few instances where I would disagree with you, Max. "Given the same amount of herb and temp, you'll get the same amount of vapor from a homemade lightbulb vape as you will from a Volcano or any other vape." , says max.

There is a fundamental difference between conduction and convection. Skillet/Saute vs. Swirling hot air of Convection. BC Vape vs. any convection unit, who wins ?
Under perfect, hypothetical conditions, maybe a conduction set up could vaporize all the trichomes that convection would for the same sample of herb?

But yeah hard to compare a lightbulb or BC vape to a good convection unit in real world usage.

vtac,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
Anyone here used a high end heatgun with something like a RooR Glass on Glass unit, I'm Salivating over the 7mm Little sista & the Dealers,I love the ice catcher but the Flask shape has me. I assume one will get thru the border security here, correct me if im Wrong aussie Bro's. Im thinking a Quality Heatgun could be an advantage using full melt, Vaporising the Load to the fullest effect without burning, If the Gun Wasnt all Big and Cumbersome i could see it as an option worth having. RooR :p

OOh i was just re reading and saw tom's mention of silicosis, good call, Look @ asbestosis, Industry isn't 100% up for saftey for Tradies or Consumers, Thats putting it politely, it a $ thing :disgust:

Cannabudz,

jx80

Thanks for replies and help, I appreciate it.

I have never met any one who likes vaporizing.
Does that mean you've run into a lot of people who have tried it and think it sucks? That would be unusual. Or have you just asked a few bong fiends? :lol:
-Yeah all my friends who have tried, hated it (blunt-bong crowd), because when the vapor was thin, they felt it was a waste when they did not exhale a cloud of smoke.
Not sure what to tell you about the heat gun. The best all around brand, and most frequently used for vaping, is Steinel. I don't know of any guns built specifically for vaporizing, so it's hard to say as far as safety. Hell, there are quite probably some vapes that aren't safe. Don't trust the made in China cheapies personally. Have you already bought the heat gun? If so, what are you using it with? What made you decide to go with a heat gun?
-I found one for $35.00 with a case and good reviews but it is from china and I am not sure about the ceramic, so I ordered a milwaukee 8988 that has the ceramic block, a 5 year warranty and supposedly all the hardware is steinel, it was $128.00 with an lcd. I also read good things from people vaping with it, anyone here use it? -
Any mention of mica makes me wonder about silicosis. Probably worth checking before breathing it for a few years. tongue

As a vape manufacturer, believe me, very few are watching your health. But you might want to.

Tom
-Thanks Tom, I will have to check with the milwaukee on the mica, as a manufacturer of vapes, can you tell me the difference of heat guns and other vapor units, of how they pass hot air to release vapors? Are they similar on the inside? I was looking to get a quality heat gun because of the versatility to go from bags for groups and into water pipes for personal use but now I am concerned to use one if it will emit toxins.

jx80,

jx80

Anyone here used a high end heatgun with something like a RooR Glass on Glass unit, I'm Salivating over the 7mm Little sista & the Dealers,I love the ice catcher but the Flask shape has me. I assume one will get thru the border security here, correct me if im Wrong aussie Bro's. Im thinking a Quality Heatgun could be an advantage using full melt, Vaporising the Load to the fullest effect without burning, If the Gun Wasnt all Big and Cumbersome i could see it as an option worth having.
-This was what was drawing me to a heat gun. I was going to use it with a double percolator and double ash catcher making it 5 chambered 22"water pipe, with a diffuser and ice catcher. Could be good. I was looking to get a vape slide to do this but cannot find one, vriptech will not fit and got vape is discontinued. I might have to get one made, any blowers here? -
marcuss' Herborizer would like a word with you.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/589/dscf0943ps3.th.jpg brow
Looks nice.

jx80,

spyder

why not just get a SSV and their downstem for the bong??

just my opinion... you'll get the gun... it will work but you'll end up buying a unit...

Just speak from my own personal experience.... started with a gun and tried quite a few along the way

before settling on a couple that I like.... still have a few more to try too..

spyder,

Purple-Days

Milwaukee makes quality products. But these things are made for stripping paint. Not really intended to be inhaled from daily. Even an expensive gun. I sure would feel better using a name brand gun made for the trades than some sheap ass home-depot POS made in China.

Purple-Days,

jx80

why not just get a SSV and their downstem for the bong??

just my opinion... you'll get the gun... it will work but you'll end up buying a unit...

Just speak from my own personal experience.... started with a gun and tried quite a few along the way

-I had a digital vapir but it was not the best. I like the units, but was looking for more versatility. I could get the volcano and then a dome for it but dont have that kind of money right now.
Milwaukee makes quality products. But these things are made for stripping paint. Not really intended to be inhaled from daily. Even an expensive gun. I sure would feel better using a name brand gun made for the trades than some sheap ass home-depot POS made in China.
I understand they're for stripping paint but I am wandering, if they are designed safe with a ceramic element and do not release any toxins while keeping an accurate temperature, is this not doing the same thing, as a designed for vaping unit? They are both releasing hot air by pulling in air, at the least the forced air units. Wouldn't the insides of both units be kind of similar to create the forced air while raising its temperature, other then the heat gun can reach a higher temperature for various jobs but I would be keeping it under 400. -Does any one ever feel they are being harmed by vaporizing in general? I used to vape regularly then quit for a couple years all together and then began eating it to avoid everything other then the cooked food/liquid. But recently became interested again, as I was questioning if vaporizing is any more harmful them a humidifier. Of course I thought this while watching everyone else smoke and I am waiting for food I ate to kick in, the main downside to eating it.

jx80,

spyder

You are all jammed up!!!
You need to... STOP... DROP... AND ROLL.
if you don't
you'll be sorry :(

You're talking about $35 heat guns...now you are $128 and you havent even found a bowl to fit this double percolator and double ash catcher making it 5 chambered 22"water pipe, with a diffuser and ice catcher bong... (IMHO... waste of vapor... all you need is straight pipe with ice)

You want versatility get an Extreme...

You want (IMHO) the best (whip) vapor on demand...SSV

You want bang for your few buck ... grab a DaBudda or VaporBros box for around what you spend for that heat gun... then I'm sure you can come with with a way to connect it to the double percolator and double ash catcher making it 5 chambered 22"water pipe, with a diffuser and ice catcher bong... might have to change downtube.

just stop... breath some fresh air and CHOOSE WISELY (oh ya it's back)

I say that as I'm sure if I did it.. I read of others doing it... starting out ...giving it another go... we try to cut corners... save a dime or two... and end up with a bad purchase or two

good luck
and
CHOOSE WISELY!!! :brow:

spyder,

max

Out to lunch

Picky picky :lol: OK, I'd have to agree, but herb preparation could be a factor in efficiency too. For instance I could see an inefficient conduction design like the BC winning out over the Vapolution. If the BC is given extremely fine ground herb (read powder), where each tiny grain contacts the hot metal, it could be more efficient than the Vapo, where it can be difficult to get the hot air into the center or back end of the loaded piece. No screen presents an 'either or' problem-one reason your vape clobbers the Vapo in efficiency. But given ideal herb prep and loading, convection will win out.

There are pluses for heat guns as vapes, and I did hear a while back that some company was going to produce one designed for vaporizing, but can't remember who. And if they did come out with one, seems like we'd have heard about it. My attitude-it's hard enough to find a safe vaporizer, considering they're designed to be inhaled from, without risking your health by using an industrial product that was designed for a totally different purpose. It's like trying to build an electric toothbrush from a Dremel tool.

Yeah all my friends who have tried, hated it (blunt-bong crowd), because when the vapor was thin, they felt it was a waste when they did not exhale a cloud of smoke.
That's what I figured. Blunt/bong fans are the least likely to appreciate vapor. Give 'em another 20 years or so of bong rips and maybe their lungs will lead 'em back to the vaporizer.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
jx80 said:
I had a digital vapir
You might the new gen of high end vapes are far superior to anything vapir produce. Seems you have already gone ahead an ordered the heat gun and I'm sure it will work well for the versatility you are looking for. At the standard vapping temp you should be safe toxin wize but ...

purple-days said:
But these things are made for stripping paint.
thats the clincher for me.

SSV or extreme if you want to convert bongers to vapping. And then step up to the conissours vape the Purple Days :cool: And if your doing it right ... or have the right machine you'll get thick vaporclouds.

vaporcloud,

jx80

I say that as I'm sure if I did it.. I read of others doing it... starting out ...giving it another go... we try to cut corners... save a dime or two... and end up with a bad purchase or two
I hear you, thats why when I was thinking heat gun and I saw a decent variable one with case and supposedly a ceramic element for $35.00 I was going to grab it but figured I bet not take any chances when I found the milwaukee for a good price. I will look into the extreme, I heard it is sold by a company in canada but its manufactured in china, any problems with it?

jx80,

jx80

You might the new gen of high end vapes are far superior to anything vapir produce. Seems you have already gone ahead an ordered the heat gun and I'm sure it will work well for the versatility you are looking for. At the standard vapping temp you should be safe toxin wize but ...
The heat gun is not final yet, how is the extreme in terms of portability?

jx80,

spyder

jx80 said:
I hear you, thats why when I was thinking heat gun and I saw a decent variable one with case and supposedly a ceramic element for $35.00 I was going to grab it but figured I bet not take any chances when I found the milwaukee for a good price. I will look into the extreme, I heard it is sold by a company in canada but its manufactured in china, any problems with it?
Check this out..
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=5399#p5399

Extreme is $300... the extra you pay is for bags effect

imho... bags are over-rated

spend your $150 on DB or VB / vapor warez box

or get an SSV and be done with it...

Take my word.... I know what you are trying to achieve get the SSV and use it once and then come back and tell me you think you made the wrong decision... never happen!!

With that said... your bong/blunt buddies.. will take them about as long to get on board after using it. especially when you hook it up to some ice...

TRUST ME!!! :ssv:

toothbrush - dremel... :lol:

spyder,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
STEINEL tools are not designed for medical inhalation and we have no data to
support their safe use in this context. We are aware that some customers do
use our products in similar applications, but as we have not tested, we
cannot make any warranties or assertions.

STEINEL heat tools do comply with applicable RoHS standards, meaning that
they are free of lead and other hazardous materials. Our greater concern
would be the risk of burns.

Please note that our tools can product up to 1200F, so there are inherent
risks and adequate safety precautions should be used at all times. Please
see the owner's manual for further information (available for download at
www.steinel.net).

-------------

Feel free to cut & paste the parts you think are pertinent. Free flowing
particles of mica (as from the heating elements of "paint strippers")
probably aren't the healthiest either.

Best Regards,

Heidi Roche
Vice President
Steinel America, Inc.

vtac,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Free flowing
particles of mica (as from the heating elements of "paint strippers")
probably aren't the healthiest either.
:uhoh::disgust::o:disgust:

That doesn't sound healthy at all :disgust:

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I believe she was talking about cheap paint stripper type heatguns with that quote, not Steinel products.

vtac,

jx80

Thanks vtac for that info. I got this email from that cheap "deluxe" heat gun for $35.00 with the mica paper, they sent me this after our initial discussion. " The Heat Pro Deluxe also does not release metal ions that contain toxic beryllium copper"

Thanks and Best Regards,
Homeright Customer Service

jx80,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Asked Heidi for clarification on her quote:

Heidi Roche said:
Most heat guns have heating elements with cores that are constructed of
mica. Mica (a mineral) has the nature of flaking. Consequently, air
blowing through a mica element will frequently contain small flakes of mica.

Whether this is a problem or not depends on your application.

The HL2510 has a ceramic encapsulated element.
Screenshot from the attached pdf:

vtac,

tokinGLX

spyder said:
or get an SSV and be done with it...

Take my word.... I know what you are trying to achieve get the SSV and use it once and then come back and tell me you think you made the wrong decision... never happen!!

With that said... your bong/blunt buddies.. will take them about as long to get on board after using it. especially when you hook it up to some ice...

TRUST ME!!! :ssv:
and that right there about sums it up
(':

tokinGLX,
Top Bottom