Healthy Rips FURY EDGE

OF

Thanks for looking up all those links. But the only thing HR ever said in those links is that the silicone is “food-grade.” It would be great to hear a little bit more detail to reassure people. Especially about the discoloring.

You're welcome, no real effort since I remembered it'd been discussed 'a couple dozen times' in the various threads. HR is 'right on it'. Our Search function, primitive as it is, did all the hard part.

"Food grade" has to do with the catalyst used to harden the rubber. While 'garden grade' catalysts are toxic, food grade is based on Platinum as I recall, very expensive to use if you're making cheap parts. That means it's safe to something like 500F, way past where we need it.

This discoloration is easy to sort out. Check out the excellent cross section photo @LesPlenty posted above. The discoloration is where the (dark....) fouling condenses out, not where it's hottest (where it touches the bowl, not where it contacts the cold stem above). From there the solvent carries it into the material, deepest where the most contamination is? Degraded rubber is easy to spot, it's degraded. Hard and cracked/crumbly instead of resilient. If the seal was actually degrading it'd be chipping away when folks pried the screen out and in?

HR has our best interests in mind. They want us happy and healthy so we're around to consider their next exciting product as I see it. IMO clearly a standout outfit, one I'm happy to recommend.

I hope everyone can stop worrying about this and get back to enjoying this excellent product? Here, let me show you how.........

Regards,

OF

shredder

I hope everyone can stop worrying about this and get back to enjoying this excellent product? Here, let me show you how.........

Just two points in response.

One, in today's climate regarding vapes/vaping we all need to be aware of exactly what we're using.

Two, I'd love independent testing of food grade silicone exposed to vaporizer type heat. And that vapor that passes by inhaled. Self testing is a little shaky.

Still though thanks to HR for responding.

John Coaltrain

This discussion gave me the incentive to try something I've been meaning to do for a while: to figure out a way to use a screen alone without the silicone o-ring.

I just searched through my collection of screens and found one that was just slightly larger in diameter than the Edge's oven. I domed it slightly and guided it into the oven. It was just the right size to sort of 'click' into the slight gap between the outer kirksite body and the metal oven.

It stays in place quite well – well enough to use inverted with water tools.

Removal of the screen for dumping or stirring is done easily enough with a safety pin.

Last edited:

NOLOGO

Sorry for the back-to-back posts. But we wanted to let you all know that the blue gasket (O-ring) in our FURY 2 is identical to the blue gasket (O-ring) in our FURY EDGE. However, we use a stamped stainless steel screen in our FURY 2 vs the regular screen in our FURY EDGE. If you prefer the rigid stamped stainless steel screen in our FURY 2, you can buy them for your FURY EDGE: FURY 2 O-ring & Screen Sets

Have a great evening!
Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

hey there HR, thanks for this! I do prefer the mesh screens as opposed to the stamped sheet metal ones, as they seem to provide a less restrictive draw. In fact I've found some other screens that seem to provide even better air flow than the ones you are now shipping in the gaskets. In these (pic coming soon) the holes are smaller than in yours (less likely to clog if bowl is emptied when hot? more testing needed) but the wire is also finer, so there is simply more space for air (and vapor) to pass through. The only problem is they're 3/8" in diameter, and yours measure closer to 10mm. Would you please tell me, if possible:
1) Are yours a custom cut, or available stock somewhere?
2) Would y'all consider also selling JUST the screens, and not the entire silicone assembly?

TIA!

OF

Just two points in response.

One, in today's climate regarding vapes/vaping we all need to be aware of exactly what we're using.

Two, I'd love independent testing of food grade silicone exposed to vaporizer type heat. And that vapor that passes by inhaled. Self testing is a little shaky.

Still though thanks to HR for responding.

I agree, and think most here are, but HR has already gone 'the extra mile' to assure us they're taking care of business........

When it comes to safety testing, it's like we used to say in the Dynamite business, 'some's good, but more's better'. At this point I honestly see no need to question, 'everything fits', but perhaps you should do so if you're not comfortable. You have randomly selected seals why not send one off? You really don't know what temperature to test at, but again, a higher than realistic temperature should 'prove' no problem at lower temperature? I think the instrument you're looking for is a "gas chromatograph":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chromatography

I vaguely recall driving one back when I was paid to do such things, they've no doubt become easier to use with computers and such. Fairly common gear, in certain circles. The very thing to sniff out not too many molecules of gas mixed into the inert 'carrier gas' stream.

Yes, thanks to HR, too bad he has to keep repeating himself, times how many forums? IMO he earns his money.....and provides a few jobs for folks no doubt glad to have them? IMO that makes him a good guy (white hat), tired perhaps, but the sort we could use more of?

Removal of the screen for dumping or stirring is done easily enough with a safety pin.

Love it JC, if I follow. This should increase the diameter, therefore the area? Especially if you use woven mesh (which air passes through easier than holes through a flat plate) Bet that kicks the draw restriction down the road big time. You can I'm sure 'out draw' it even easier, but for use through a WT (where there's added restriction anyway) I'm guessing it's worth the effort? And with more screen area it's going to foul more slowly? Longer between cleanings, again cool.

You know there's a gadget called a 'sheet metal punch' that is used to make holes in sheet metal by punching them (clever name), this one might do the trick to make a pile of 'em really easy:
https://www.amazon.com/Stark-Metal-...eway&sprefix=sheet+metal+punch,aps,614&sr=8-6

If I'm following where you're putting the screen it measures about .42 on my F2 (most handy), HR says they use the same gasket so the size must be the same. This means the 13/32 at .40 or 15/32 at 4.67 are worth trying. The punched out bit automatically comes out slightly 'crowned' since there's a blunt pin on the punch to keep the roach from hanging up on the way through the die (makes the punched out part slip through easier). If not, the 7/16 one in this set:
https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Met...eway&sprefix=sheet+metal+punch,aps,614&sr=8-7

could be the call? You can set the stop and quickly punch out a row of 'em from a sheet or strip of mesh. The are useful for making washers out of strange materials as well. That one saved me a time or two over the years. You can easily punch the big hole first, hammer the dimple out, stick it to a piece of tape to control it, change dies and punch the hole. If you leave a bit of the dimple you can use the dent against the pin in the center of the second punch.

Sorry to ramble, but I think you may have something good happening.

BTW, if you heat your safety pin 'glowing hot' at the tip (with a small torch) you can quickly grab it with pliers and bend it over to make a hook while it's still soft.......

"Good on ya" as they say down where it's Spring time.

Regards to all.

OF

John Coaltrain

. . . This should increase the diameter, therefore the area? Especially if you use woven mesh (which air passes through easier than holes through a flat plate) Bet that kicks the draw restriction down the road big time. . .

I'm actually on a T-Break right now, so all of this remains theoretical. But I think you're right: the air path is increased in diameter when the gasket is taken out of the equation – since it has a somewhat smallish opening (where its screen is). So while I find the Edge's draw to not be too restrictive – it will perhaps be even less so with this tweak.

BTW, if you heat your safety pin 'glowing hot' at the tip (with a small torch) you can quickly grab it with pliers and bend it over to make a hook while it's still soft. . .

Great idea!

. . . Sorry to ramble, but I think you may have something good happening. . . .

Thanks, @OF

Last edited:

OF

They didn't say how much convection, also 20% convection is a some kind of convection. But mostly conduction..I agree. The coil is too small, so is the path to the chamber.

I'll go one step further, there's no such thing as a 'hybrid'. It can't be some percentage convection and some conduction as I understand Thermodynamics.

In order for heated air to enter the bowl and make vapor (at say 390F) it has to be HOTTER than 390F but a lot. Hot air has very little energy per molecule per degree. Making vapor takes energy (calories of heat, not degrees).

Consider that vapes known to be convection the heat source is very very hot. Glowing red hot. 1300 degrees for Thermovape vapes. Same temperature in the torch that heats your Vapor Genie. That way the air can enter very much hotter than the load so it can give up energy and still be over 'magic temperature' as it leaves with that vapor.

And real conduction vapes aren't closed loop like EDGE and it's siblings, Solo/Air/ArGo and the rest are where you set a temperature for the load (to within a few degrees) and then regulate the air temperature when you've no idea how much air is going to be pulled it. You, as the user control that part of the link.....open loop not closed.

OTOH I get it that people 'know' convection is superior and therefore of course want it in their vape? Even if calories are calories. FURY is an excellent vape, no doubt about it. It just does the good work by conduction with no practical help from convection. The best you can say is preheating the air limits how much energy it would otherwise rob from the load, it doesn't make vapor directly.

As I understand science works, anyway.

Regards to all.

OF

olivianewtonjohn

Yet I would say that the fury IS different than arizer products in how it creates vapor. With an arizer solo/air I get vapor especially if I slowly inhale, with the fury i get much more vapor if I inhale quicker. In fact to really kill a bowl I have to "rip" it at 430. If not more convention, I wonder why they are so different?

NOLOGO

ok got some screen pics.
Here is a shot of the screen from the HR edge gasket (right) next to the new, slightly smaller Up In Smoke 3/8” pipe screens i got today (left):
DEA76-BBE-0252-4-B70-A0-F9-483440-CAA165.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

And here is light shining through them to show the difference in hole size. the first one is the stock edge screen, and the second is the newly acquired screens:
CD4658-BD-D827-4297-BDDC-F1-E38-EAD898-D.jpg
[/url]
5-D7-B312-B-F3-A9-43-F3-BD89-FB2-DF0657-C93.jpg
[/IMG]

The good news is the new, slightly smaller in diameter screens DO fit in the gaskets, albeit not as tightly, but that’s a good thing since i want to swap them often. They definitely stay in place enough for normal vape use. I like the smaller holes because less particulates get stuck in them. And even though the individual holes are smaller, there is less resistance on the new ones, as there appears to be more overall space for air and vapor to flow! :rockon:

I’ll report back with results over time.

EDIT: not sure why only one pic posted instead of all three. i can do so many complicated things in this world, yet posting pics on forum is proving to get the best of me. :doh:

LesPlenty

Company Rep

NOLOGO

OF

Yet I would say that the fury IS different than arizer products in how it creates vapor. With an arizer solo/air I get vapor especially if I slowly inhale, with the fury i get much more vapor if I inhale quicker. In fact to really kill a bowl I have to "rip" it at 430. If not more convention, I wonder why they are so different?

I've never given it that much thought (I tend to takes such things as the come), but I think the difference you describe is due to the glass of the stem in Solo/Air/ArGo? That is I think it's slowing the heat transfer rate favoring the slower draw. When I use the glass stem or WT adapter in F2 it seems more 'Solo like' although it's still different due to the smaller load size and more surface area (percentage wise) due to the smaller diameter?

Solo/Air/ArGo really favors sipping......then again, so do I I guess.

I agree they are different, but as I said I guess I wrote it off 'the nature of the beast' and used them accordingly? FWIW I find HR products to be very similar to FMs not Solo/Air/ArGo? Both are great vapes, just different in their natures? I enjoy both although I tend to favor one then the other then back again?

And then there's VM, and VG..........

Some would say I can't make up my mind. Others ask, 'what mind'.

Regards to all.

OF

Edit: I should add I think it's very cool to have so many great choices in the market to pick from.....like standing in the liquor store looking at all the different Scotches to pick from? Choice is good.

We are indeed fortunate.

OF

Last edited:

OF

Fellow travelers,

I think I may have stumbled on another advantage of EDGE over F2, it seems to run cooler to the touch?

I was looking for 'something different' and exploring the stash box found a gram of hash I'd forgotten about in the bottom. Nothing fancy, 'old school' pressed hash (probably bubble hash in origin) at about 65% THC according to the note with it. The dispensary it came from closed a couple years back (in another city), it's been there a while. I put a couple 'largish pieces' in a (new type) dosing capsule. Perhaps not the smartest move while it's gone 4 sessions so far (and is still 'working'), the cap seems glued on. A project for later (after it's spent). Perhaps when hot or after and ISO soak.

However, when I went to try it, my EDGE was 'busy' so I put it in my F2. Where, as I say, it did just fine. However, I got the impression it was running hotter (to the touch, not bowl temperature) than I've been used to with EDGE. So I just tested it with the two vapes loaded but not hit side by side (both set at 400F).

First off they tracked on indicated temperatures withing a few degrees up to about 380 when EDGE jumped to 400F indicated and buzzed. F2 continued to 'ramp up' before showing ready. Obviously EDGE fibbed a bit, it didn't suddenly hit afterburners, it did what programmers for such things calll "masking", that is not show minor changes that would concern users, things that don't really matter.

The two bodies already were different apparent temperatures, with EDGE feeling cooler by a noticeable bit through several consecutive resets. It seems quite real to me, I'd appreciate others trying it out and letting us know if they agree? TIA

I doubt this is due to the larger surface on EDGE (although that should help some) but rather think it's due to a difference in materials on the outside. In a counter intuitive way in layered insulation like we have here if the outer surface conducts heat better (is a worse insulator) the outside surface can be cooler not hotter. The heat rate from the ovens (same temperature of course) through the internal layers is the same but that heat which finally makes it to the outer layer is more quickly 'wicked away' so the surface is actually cooler. However it happens it's an improvement I think.

Regards to all.

OF

hinglemccringleberry

I'll go one step further, there's no such thing as a 'hybrid'. It can't be some percentage convection and some conduction as I understand Thermodynamics.

In order for heated air to enter the bowl and make vapor (at say 390F) it has to be HOTTER than 390F but a lot. Hot air has very little energy per molecule per degree. Making vapor takes energy (calories of heat, not degrees).

Consider that vapes known to be convection the heat source is very very hot. Glowing red hot. 1300 degrees for Thermovape vapes. Same temperature in the torch that heats your Vapor Genie. That way the air can enter very much hotter than the load so it can give up energy and still be over 'magic temperature' as it leaves with that vapor.

And real conduction vapes aren't closed loop like EDGE and it's siblings, Solo/Air/ArGo and the rest are where you set a temperature for the load (to within a few degrees) and then regulate the air temperature when you've no idea how much air is going to be pulled it. You, as the user control that part of the link.....open loop not closed.

OTOH I get it that people 'know' convection is superior and therefore of course want it in their vape? Even if calories are calories. FURY is an excellent vape, no doubt about it. It just does the good work by conduction with no practical help from convection. The best you can say is preheating the air limits how much energy it would otherwise rob from the load, it doesn't make vapor directly.

As I understand science works, anyway.

Regards to all.

OF
The convection experience is overrated anyway.

hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: OF

OF

It might be one of those 'all in your mind' things, meaning it's going to be very subjective to the individual? If you think it's happening and you're enjoying it.....you're enjoying it?

Not to spoil that, I agree, it's overrated even when it's real. There are some mighty fine conduction vapes out there even if the owners think it's convection or 'hybrid' (which again I don't think is the case in scientific terms).

I'm with you for sure, but OTOH I don't want to tell a guy he's not happy?

No matter what you call it, EDGE is one of those fine vapes. I just don't think we should use technical terms incorrectly. Education is better.

Thanks.

OF

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
hey there HR, thanks for this! I do prefer the mesh screens as opposed to the stamped sheet metal ones, as they seem to provide a less restrictive draw.
1) Are yours a custom cut, or available stock somewhere?
2) Would y'all consider also selling JUST the screens, and not the entire silicone assembly?

TIA!
Hi, Thank you for the great suggestion! We will start selling these screens separately on our website in 3-4 weeks. We will sell them 10 screens per bag. :)

All the Best!
Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

OF

Yeah, I like sitting watching my weed vape itself like an incense stick too.:rofl:

Whatever amuses you is good I guess. But you understand the weed doesn't 'vape itself' idling in a conduction vape, right? That is the THC doesn't get destroyed (like in combustion) nor escape the vape, it's still there, waiting to make you happy........

Unlike an incense stick, which is burning.

In the early days of Purple Days (a stem vape no longer made) several of us conducted the same informal experiment on this concept. We loaded a fresh stem, plugged it into the heater and spaced it out. The next day it was still patiently waiting. A bit stale but still potent. The goodness was evaporating away in hot places and condensing again in cooler ones only to evaporate again. Like refining gasoline from crude oil.

Regards to all.

OF

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This is a very subjective topic/area of discussion, in some minds right down to the existential question, "What the heck is convection anyway?"

Is the convection oven simply a marketing ploy? or can it cook your meatloaf faster and if so, why?
Should we judge all convection ovens hybrids? (Pls, no answers! theses are all rhetorical...)

I understand what @OF is saying, especially as it relates to vaporizers but the world of commerce is less scientifically stringent in application of the terms 'convection' and 'hybrid'.

I experience differences from a Pax to a Grasshopper, or from a Mighty to a Splinter and I generalize my conclusion that I prefer the experience I get from the vapes that are labeled 'convection'. I still return to the others regularly but I prefer the ones that seem to be convection vapes.

Re; the Purple Days experiment, you dealt with a closed system. If I let my Pax sit on full temp without toking it will smell up the room anyway. Is this not some escaped 'vapor', some loss of thc? A F2 with a glass stem is not a very tightly closed system either. I guess I'm trying to further illustrate the subjective aspects of theses discussions re convection.

OF

I understand what @OF is saying, especially as it relates to vaporizers but the world of commerce is less scientifically stringent in application of the terms 'convection' and 'hybrid'.

Re; the Purple Days experiment, you dealt with a closed system. If I let my Pax sit on full temp without toking it will smell up the room anyway. Is this not some escaped 'vapor', some loss of thc? A F2 with a glass stem is not a very tightly closed system either. I guess I'm trying to further illustrate the subjective aspects of theses discussions re convection.

Many good points, some very good.

I get it that 'the world' tends to use the language to it's own purposes. But I think we should, as much as possible, keep technical terms accurately used if we want to communicate best. I don't think makers are intentionally being dishonest, just 'telling the customer what they want to hear', but think we at least should try to be accurate. As a society we value STEM and want out children to study, understand and use it in the future. Abusing the terms doesn't help that. One could argue that 'the growing language' deal can render such things moot over time?

For instance, one of my 'pet peeves' here is "decimate". We have cavalierly used it to describe damage from natural disasters and such (in order to sound more learned I think) that that is what it has come to mean. We stole the term from history, it used to have an entirely different meaning. In the days of the Roman army (where you were a member for life, living with your fellows in 8 man tents and usually retiring to the outpost you served in) it was the practice of punishing poor performance with the order to draw lots and beat to death one in ten of your comrades.......entirely different from building your cabin in wildfire country and then being upset when it burns down? Look it up. It say 'deci' not because one in ten houses burned?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(Roman_army)

I understand that most don't care, but misuse of technical terms makes for less accurate communication and therefore is, IMO, not a good thing to practice. We should 'know better'. Then again we should also be insisting our young are taught such things. English might be awkward, but it can be more powerful that it is the way we use it casually. And it is the language we picked to use (over German, ironically).

I've never used or even seen a PAX, but I'm sure it's possible to 'stink up the joint' on it's own. Not so all vapes? PD isn't a closed vape any more than F2, both ends are open same as here. Restrictions are similar. The point is potency is not lost 'idly cooking away between hits'. That too is, I think, a 'talking point' of someone trying to convince you to buy their product.......which is of course their job?

Thanks for the post.

Now, to go find and enjoy my F2. I left a 'lightly used' capsule full of hash last night, confident it'll be happy to continue to deliver the goods. Good technique, BTW. folks should try it if they have the right sort of hash available.

Regards to all,

OF

Last edited:

GoldenBud

@OF I think the term convection attracts the people who like to purchase a device that can finish a bowl in 2-3 hits. that's why convection devices tend to be "stronger" or so. The air penetrates into the herb and it's easier to finish a bowl in less hits.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: OF

OF

@OF I think the term convection attracts the people who like to purchase a device that can finish a bowl in 2-3 hits. that's why convection devices tend to be "stronger" or so. The air penetrates into the herb and it's easier to finish a bowl in less hits.

Good point, but still not an accurate use of a technical term. VG is a 'real' convection vape, right? Yet it doesn't always do that. Close kin to how everything was 'Turbo' even without a turbocharger? Higher power is just that, higher power. No need to dress it up past that......

No doubt about it, it's an effective 'sales tool' sometimes.

We are best served, I think, by saying what we mean in the correct terms. Perhaps we should find an unused term to use instead? Convection and conduction were already defined by dead guys long before vapes came on the scene....... They are powerful distinctions to a few, who we in turn depend on to make our lives better.

Thanks.

OF

Espo

Hello all. First post here in quite some time.
I'm ready for a new portable vaporizer and really thinking about the Fury Edge after watching many reviews.

2 questions: In the USA, where do you guys recommend purchasing the Fury Edge? Directly from Healthy Rips? Secondly, what is the purpose of the dosing capsules? Just an easier way to load/unload material?

Thank in advance! I hope to order one this weekend!

GoldenBud

Hello all. First post here in quite some time.
I'm ready for a new portable vaporizer and really thinking about the Fury Edge after watching many reviews.

2 questions: In the USA, where do you guys recommend purchasing the Fury Edge? Directly from Healthy Rips? Secondly, what is the purpose of the dosing capsules? Just an easier way to load/unload material?

Thank in advance! I hope to order one this weekend!
Yea, directly from HR. most reliable.
With capsules you can be sure the chamber will stay clean, even if you don't clear the ABV right away.

Top Bottom