headphones

tdaggert

hey :) would anyone know about headphones here? or maybe a site you could redirect me too
i would really like some bassy,good quality headphones that are comfy and dont cost a fortune

tdaggert,
G

start here with what may/may not tickle your fancy
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphone-buying-guide/?tag=leftColumnArea1.0

cnet is a semi-good resource for honest reviews of most of the major headphone brands.

Personally, if you want BASS and stealth; then go with the Shure SE115 earbuds. If you dig you might be able to find a used pair on ebay for cheap! Definably get the 9" extension cable as the cables they give you is of awkward size.

BASS BOOMS

Guest,

albe

i like my sennheiser headphones, in australia they are around the 100 dollar mark
they also do bud-style, around 40 aud

albe,

Xero

albe said:
i like my sennheiser headphones, in australia they are around the 100 dollar mark
they also do bud-style, around 40 aud
2 votes for sennheiser. My gaming buddies swear by them. They say they can do 6-8 hours straight in them with no discomfort. One guy actually watches all TV/Movies through them b/c the bass is so good. The pair I was looking at was $250 new but after a little searching you could find them for ~$80 refurbished.

Xero,

chucku

Charles Urbane
I love my Sennheisers. The closest I have yet heard to a live performance. They blow away my Shure in ear headphones for half the cost. Absolutely no fatigue and everything sounds exactly as it should. Of course what you like could be very different. That being said there is no substitute to seeking out a better dealer and test driving any you consider. An excellent resource to research the contenders is.........

http://www.headphone.com

BTW these are mine and for less than $50.00 you can not go wrong.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-px-100.php

chucku,

albe

Xero said:
The pair I was looking at was $250 new but after a little searching you could find them for ~$80 refurbished.
yeah there's a few models i went with the cheaper ones which are good too. Nice thing with the sennheiser's is u can stump for the top model which are excellent, but the medium priced ones are good performers too.

albe,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
You didn't mention what Type you want. Do you prefer cushion type or open-air type foam that doesn't enclose the ears? For portable player or home stereo?

I can recommend one from my experience and one that I've heard great things about and plan to buy some day:

Mine: Sony MDR-7506 Professional studio monitor head phones. I've had these for around 12 years, replaced the pads recently and they still sound fantastic. They are the type that cover your ears and block out some noise due to the cushioning. These have a long spiral stretch type cable and are not really suitable for mp3 players for that reason, they're good for home stereo usage.

Sennheisers are good and you can get a bargain on some of their mid-level ones which are quite good.

The one I want to get next is the Grado that goes for around $100-$130 on sale. I forget the price but it's in that range. I know someone who raves about these, and also the reviews are solid.

For my mp3 player I found a pair of JVC's at Ross Dress For Less, for $5 - they were probably about $15 originally - and they fold up for easy carrying and they sound great in places where it's noisy anyway and you're not doing any demanding listening. I bought 3 pair after I heard how good they were, so if I break or lose a pair, I'll have another.

MoeOnTheMoon,

2000pm

Probably the best combination of real, quality bass response (not boomy mid-bass so often confused with "bass") + SQ is to be found in Beyerdynamic headphones, namely the DT880 and DT990. Do expect to shell out some $$ for these though.

The 7506/V6 are great cans but they roll off quite a bit faster than the Beyers. They do win in the price category.

2000pm,

Purple-Days

I own a set of Sennheizer HD 280 pro. Very good :2c: set of muff style headphones about $100 at Musician's Friend.

I also have a set of earbud Sennheizers, certainly better than I-pod headphones.

I believe Klipsch now has a set of earbuds that are about $350. Having heard Klipsch speakers I gotta imagine their headphones (earbuds) are pretty awesome.

Purple-Days,

jofroxp

Anyone rocking DR. Dre Headphones...? I have them and they are SWEET.

jofroxp,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
MoeOnTheMoon,

Plotinus

I'm a big advocate for noise-isolating ear buds. Relatively inexpensive, effective, and small enough to be convenient where over-ears are not. I've had a few pairs that I've liked. Right now, I have a pair of Woodees (not related to Woodeez), and I like them quite a bit: http://www.woodees.net/

Plus, after a certain vape level I kind of feel like I have two PD's shoved into my ears.

Plotinus,

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
I've tried the regular apple earbuds and klipsch s4s (which will not stop falling out). I need something overear. I tried a $25 pair of sonys but the cable is too long/thick and sits a bit heavy on the head. I need something for the gym or being able to run in would be great.

CHEI,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Best place to learn about headphones and Hi-Fi gear is on Head-Fi.org.

Beyerdynamic, Grado and Sennheiser are the most recommended. Stay away from entry-level models, no matter which brand you choose. Be prepared to spend some $$$ if you want audiophile quality headphones.

Vaporisateur,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vaporisateur said:
Best place to learn about headphones and Hi-Fi gear is on Head-Fi.org.

Beyerdynamic, Grado and Sennheiser are the most recommended. Stay away from entry-level models, no matter which brand you choose. Be prepared to spend some $$$ if you want audiophile quality headphones.

Another great source for information is http://www.headphone.com/. They also sell just about everything they review at very fair prices. My personal favorite, the Sennheiser PX-100.

chucku,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
My girlfriend has some noise-cancelling headphones which I think are quite amazing. They're fun to have on even when there's no music playing! The disadvantage of these is that they need batteries.

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I did a lot of research a while back and after reading many reviews and comparisons and trying out some of the popular ones that were locally available I decided to go with the old-school Sony MDR-v6 monitor headphones. It was pretty hard to find a pair of real ones (those Chinese really copy everything!), but I'm really really happy with them. They're really good value for money these days at only 60 bucks or so, but watch out for fakes! (that goes for most popular headphones you can buy nowadays, or so it seems)

one of the many reviews

how to spot a fake one

edit: waitwut, old thread is old :lol:

OhTheAgony,

JustOnCloud9

Ate the Kumo Kumo no mi
I wish I had the money to get dre beats or better headphones, but unfortunately I rock rasta skullcandys. Cost less than $15 so there pretty good for the price

JustOnCloud9,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I am a big audiophile and would recommend checking out
Head-fi

It is a great site with lots of reviews and info.

I would recommend the Denon AH-D2000 for you. They aren't very portable, but are great for at home listening. But also keep in mind your source and quality of files is important too. I would recommend 320kbps or lossless for best quality sound.

And whatever you do, do NOT buy beats by dre, or skullcandy crappy headhpones. There are WAY better options out there for half the price and you will get even better sound. I laugh at people that buy these headphones and never do research, but are willing to pay $300 for them. :rolleyes:

Elluzion,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
For what it's worth, if you're not averse to buying used, this is a great site for higher and high end audio equipment.
http://app.audiogon.com/
They do have headphones listed, I checked - maybe not exactly what you're seeking at the moment but this is a great site to check out for your general audio needs.
I have purchased speakers, a power amp and a cd player through sellers on this site and I have been consistently pleased and happy.

jeffp,

weedemon

enthusiast
http://www.head-fi.org/f/ All you need to know is right on this site! it`s kick ass :)

full of audiophiles!

basically know this before you go in.

like vapes what do you want? IEM`s (In ear monitors) or Cans? (the big over your ear style) both have different benefits and drawbacks.

good luck it`s a fun journey! :) I own a $300 pair of Westone IEM`s :) and then some shitty sony `dj`headphones that i bought 10 years ago ,but they are still going so i haven`t replaced em.

weedemon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks for that info weedemon. Good for future reference.
A good site for beer budget audiophiles with alot of just good common sense advice and keen recommendations can be found in this forum -
http://www.audiokarma.org/ -
check it out, it has a good vibe to it just like FC has....

jeffp,
Top Bottom