Has anyone used a coffee press for QWISO?

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
title says it all. i saw one of these coffee presses in Target and figured something like this must be good for straining ABV/material for a QWISO. allows the ISO to fully submerge the material while still being able to strain cleanly and quickly.

i figured at least one of you guys have come across using one of these seeing as how im one of the few non-frequent coffee drinkers. i'm definitely thinking about picking this up for my ABV QWISO's but was wondering what others feedback is.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

SD_haze

I know someone said they got great results using an AeroPress, but I'm turned off by the plastic involved. Still recommend the aeropress for coffee alone. Twas invented by the same guy who invented those ultra long flying ring frisbees.
41D8EC7n%2BkL._SY450_.jpg
Pro-Or-ForWeb400.jpg

SD_haze,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You can get coffee presses that are entirely stainless steel and glass. I don't think the screen in one I owned was fine enough for QWISO. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist; there's a gazillion variations on the coffee press.

pakalolo,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
i was thinking about fitting one of those white coffee filters in it while doing the QWISO, do you think that would work?

HighlyEducatedScholar,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
If you use coffee filters don't use the white ones, they're made from bleached pulp. Get the brown unbleached filters.

I'm having trouble visualizing how you would use the paper filters, though.

pakalolo,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
noted on the brown unbleached filters. thanks a lot.

not sure how to explain what im thinking with out using a reference so check out about 2:00 minutes in to this video

she uses what looks to be the 'press' of the french press to push into the other part. i was thinking of putting some coffee filters on the bottom of this 'press' part to filter/strain the solution in the cup. does that make what i'm thinking a little more clear?

edit: i know the video is a little ridiculous but please bear with me lol

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Top Bottom