Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

bornfree13

Oh I also wanted to mention, regarding the different 3D printed material options, although I'm not a fan of the SLS powder, it is really cool and unique feeling, and reading about the process is pretty interesting too. I am actually kind of glad I got to see it in person, I am more familiar with the SLA resin style, and I'm even happier I made that choice now. However yeah best of both worlds, I already needed a new assembly sent out because of my back end issues, nothing really lost by getting the wrong one at first as we are trading shipments anyway! Hope that might be helpful for anyone else trying to decide on the materials :tup:

I got my Daughter her first 3D printer. One of the best XYZ 3D Printers for her birthday. Works out of the box, auto leveling, it's not proprietary. It has a laser etcher and 3d imaging and she has yet to clean the spot where I want to put it. So there it sits on her floor, in a box, since the end of last month. I want to play with it but I'll be damned if I'm gonna clean her room!

Terpenetime

Due to the ever increasing delay of the casing for the Battery Adapter, we are going to go ahead with a laser cut acrylic enclosure which we can produce in-house, the single 18650 "power pack" will be available starting late next week.

Great news, I can’t wait for these to be available so I can complete my order and get it shipped over the pond :clap:

JCat

Accessory Maker
@maxvapor710 sorry to pile more on you. I mentioned in my initial post that the adapter didnt fit my new titanium but fit my SS which is a couple years old. Unfortunately the backend has been getting really hot and the power isn't working as well as it did the first 2-3 days. I tried cleaning the threads on the backend well but it didn't help. Ideally when you figure everything out I'd like to swap the adapter for one that will fit my titanium backend since it's only a couple months old and never had heat issues like the old SS does. Thanks for all your hard work bringing this product to life!
This sounds like a hopper issue :( ... I've seen the same w/ hoppers using batteries as they start to "go bad" .... not sure if its back-end or body ... I've always leaned towards it being back-end as it only makes sense with all the really tiny moving parts ... would seem like an obvious point of failure.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi Everyone,

Good news is the Hopper IO seems to work just fine with the existing power converter, provided that you have an older backend to thread onto it.

You will however need to upgrade the 12V 6A "wall brick" that we have provided in the kits with a higher amperage one, the current one seems to not be able to handle the higher startup requirements of the IO.

I have been testing a few and should have a recommendation on a working one that you can purchase yourself until we are able to source them in quantity, most of them are around $20 online.

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Hi Everyone,

Good news is the Hopper IO seems to work just fine with the existing power converter, provided that you have an older backend to thread onto it.

You will however need to upgrade the 12V 6A "wall brick" that we have provided in the kits with a higher amperage one, the current one seems to not be able to handle the higher startup requirements of the IO.

I have been testing a few and should have a recommendation on a working one that you can purchase yourself until we are able to source them in quantity, most of them are around $20 online.

Thanks,
Max
That's neat. Great to see a vid showing the io like that too, the back end looks nice with brass threads.

A power converter that can accept 20V would be sweet for USB-C PD with the io. Difficult to interface with a portable power bank, but not for long.
I got my trigger board the other day and it's pretty cool, and tiny. I don’t have much in the way of 12V DC appliances, but it connected and powered an induction heater for the VapCap, so that was pretty decent.

Still waiting for my io to arrive, it’s been a long few weeks.

The 18650 sled looks pretty cool, definitely want one of those to play with. It’ll be interesting to see how it works and how many bowls can be achieved. Awesome stuff!

ChooChooCharlie

Got lazy with Max's adapter today. Tried session without clicking off between hits

HOMER-LAZY.jpg

No noticeable overheating, but obviously can't wait too long between draws or hopper auto shuts down

Laziness is not a good thing, however. Thought about the stagnant vapor problem without the click-off cool down draw

Passive vapor backflow may cause buildup over time in heater. Extreme case of this backflow happens in water rigs when it's not lifted clear before end of draw. Seen vapor shoot out of Hopper holes in videos

If someone at HopperLabs read this post, they'd probably say, "So, let me get this straight ... first you buy an adapter to change a portable into a plugin, and now you want to turn it into a session vape? WTF, dude !?"

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
In the IO video @AJS posted yesterday, you can see vapor coming out of the holes before he even takes his first draw.

edit: link - https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-_pxoCnMJt/?igshid=1b5q1ufrllaed
Im actually going to bring this up to HL.
It happens to me even on a greens bowl. How does a bowl with unvaped bud puff vapor when I click the button and place in a bubbler? My thought is there is always a tiny bit of abv that falls through the holes onto the heater. Or any sort of plant dust material. I imagine this is destroyed pretty quickly but would definitely create a tiny bit of vapor, and when placed into the bubbler the back pressure poofs some of it out of the holes, even before taking my first rip.

I don’t allow it to happen after clearing a Bubbler. That vapor is much thicker and I imagine can condense on the heater. Only time I see it is first startup of the vape.

ChooChooCharlie

Love that io vid by @AJS , great io rig milk demo!

@invertedisdead , I think you noticed something different, but related. His new Instant On hopper works well. White light on, instant faint wisp, before draw. My theory: Residual backflow resin condensate from prior session is burning/vaping off. Can always begin draw while clicking on to avoid this I suppose

The backflow I'm more concerned with is in vids like this
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/ftyq72/one_reason_why_i_love_my_grasshopper/

Think most vapes have internal buildup issues, as they were not designed to be used inverted. Sounds uncannily similar to your username, @invertedisdead

The resin in heater is not really an issue, as most is toast during next draw. More concerned with buildup on a temperature probe, or within a draw sensor

Max's AC adapter is so battery stress free, it may lead to lazy clicker habits?

Not your problem, Max, mine. Your gizmo has worked flawlessly

AJS

Calm Consistency
Love that io vid by @AJS , great io rig milk demo!

@invertedisdead , I think you noticed something different, but related. His new Instant On hopper works well. White light on, instant faint wisp, before draw. My theory: Residual backflow resin condensate from prior session is burning/vaping off. Can always begin draw while clicking on to avoid this I suppose

The backflow I'm more concerned with is in vids like this
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/ftyq72/one_reason_why_i_love_my_grasshopper/

Think most vapes have internal buildup issues, as they were not designed to be used inverted. Sounds uncannily similar to your username, @invertedisdead

The resin in heater is not really an issue, as most is toast during next draw. More concerned with buildup on a temperature probe, or within a draw sensor

Max's AC adapter is so battery stress free, it may lead to lazy clicker habits?

Not your problem, Max, mine. Your gizmo has worked flawlessly
Exactly my thoughts. I said past abv on the heater, but that can easily be substituted with just condensate/resin. Either way, it’s not the same as puffing big plooms of hot vapor back into the vape and to the electronics to cool and settle.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@goodpunk6 if you have an International order, they have not shipped yet pending receipt of the upgraded threaded parts, unless you have specifically messaged me and asked me to send it ahead of time.

US orders have been steadily shipping every day and we are nearing the end, but as I have mentioned due to our new working situation assembly speed has been less than optimal.

If you would like more specific information about when your particular order might ship, it is best to send us an email.

Thanks,
Max

goodpunk6

@goodpunk6 if you have an International order, they have not shipped yet pending receipt of the upgraded threaded parts, unless you have specifically messaged me and asked me to send it ahead of time.

US orders have been steadily shipping every day and we are nearing the end, but as I have mentioned due to our new working situation assembly speed has been less than optimal.

If you would like more specific information about when your particular order might ship, it is best to send us an email.

Thanks,
Max

@maxvapor710
I am in the US and never got it. I have emailed you but no reply so far. Please reply to my email

goodpunk6,

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@goodpunk6 I am sure someone from customer service will get back with you this afternoon with a status update, unfortunately as a small company we do not have the resources to always answer tickets outside of normal business hours.

We are working on assembling and shipping every order as soon as physically possible, I am certain you are getting close to your spot in the queue.

Thanks,
Max

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Happy 420 everyone!

Lucky me, my adapter showed today! Partial success....

The OG Ti's I just picked up are 100. Working threads on both ends.

The OG OG Ti (3 digit serial number) works on both ends.

However my Stainless Steel OG (4 digit serial number) will fit the bottom section but I can't get the back end to thread property.

It's so awesome to have a 100% working Hopper that is not handcuffed by old battery performance! Great job @maxvapor710 ! I'll be following up.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Happy 420 everyone!

However my Stainless Steel OG (4 digit serial number) will fit the bottom section but I can't get the back end to thread property.

It's so awesome to have a 100% working Hopper that is not handcuffed by old battery performance! Great job @maxvapor710 ! I'll be following up.

That lines up with my experience on the SS, and bodes well for my incoming Ti from you, hope I will be up and running by the end of the week!

mephisto

I was not content with the performance from my SS hopperMax, so I swapped bodies with my Ti. The new Ti/SS FrankenhopperMax performs much better. Setting 5 delivers like I would expect a new hopper with a new battery would. I have not attempted anything with fitment to my IO, but I don't see a reason to do so.
With all of the struggles we have faced as hopper loyalists, our saga was circling the drain. Mere Thank you does not seem enough, but again......Thanks @maxvapor710 to you and your crew for rescuing us miserable, battery drained vapers. You really pulled a hopper out of the hat (toilet).

Baron23

Happy 420 everyone!

Well, you are doing better than I....neither of mine would work..that is, back end would not screw on one or would not screw on fully on the other.

Both are Ti Bronze

Max said he is expecting the slotted adapter hdwr with revised thread profiles end of this week...so, maybe one will get out to me next week.

If that doesn't work, then I'm just going to send Max my GH and ask him to find me an adapter that fits as in screws on and does so easily so I can revert to battery when wanted.

Right now, though, even one that screwed on with great difficulty but still worked would be a move up for me.

Cheers

gofoxxx

I cannot wait to receive mine (international orders) :rockon: I am quite confused with the threading problem that is holding back international shipping ? @maxvapor710 is here really a problem because looks like only a few people have complained about this. Do you have an ETA for the solution and shipping ? I am really split on asking you to ship mine already.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@gofoxxx the issue as far as we can tell is not limited to any specific material or serial number range, so it is really a toss up of whether you get unlucky or not.

The issue is that shipping to some of you guys is like $30, most of you wouldn't be happy if I sent you a part that has a chance of not working for you and then asked you to pay the shipping for the replacement as well.

Top Bottom