grammar

weedemon

enthusiast
So does it bother you when you see words being used in an improper tense?

Or when words are spelled incorrectly? We have spell check people! I'm not the best speller, but I do try to proof my message (albeit usually after I have posted and see it! lol I love that edit button! You have to remember though, there is a 6h time limit on it.)

Or how about when the wrong word is used? (are,our,"r"(shudder lol!)/to, too two,/there,their,they're etc...)

This stuff bugs me when I see it. The problem is this... I do it too sometimes! Most recently I meant to use whether, but I typed weather! lol doh! :doh: Usually it is because I was in a rush. I bet there are errors in this post! haha ;)

weedemon,
Reactions: Vicki

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
It can be hard to catch some words with spell check in cases like weather and whether. I notice the misspellings, or incorrect use of words, and try to ignore them. The thing that bothers me more is when people make posts that look like text messages with no (or little) punctuation and tons of abbreviations for words. :2c:

momofthegoons,
Reactions: Vicki

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Oh man, I'm a writer and I see errors EVERWHERE online and I make them myself. Especially when I type on this iPad :)

Tstat,
Well, now that you mention it.... whats up with then and than? For example
"That looks less THEN two grams" or "I thought it was smaller THEN that"... Then that? Then what? Is something else going to happen? I don't think anything bugs me, grammatically speaking, more THAN that. Peace all.

lwien

I try like hell to get as many things off my "bother" list as possible.

The thing that bugs me much more on internet boards is when people make generalizations that, for the most part, by their very nature, are utterly false. THAT bugs me and I tend to jump on it every damn time.

That, and when I am accused of saying something that I never said. I can't let that one go either. I have, however, learned to let most of the spelling and grammatical issues slide by. Wasn't always the case though.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I really suffer from this. I wish I could channel my inner lwien and let go, but I have to constantly resist the urge to correct somone's spelling. Not only that, but I'll be doing something at work and suddenly remember a grammar / spelling error that I'd read online days earlier. Presents/presence was one recent jewel that I can't seem to get out of my head.

My secretary drives me nuts everytime she says the word "seen" incorrectly (I seen this lady the other day...:cuss: ). I know that it's my own problem and I just deal with it the best way I can.

Of course lwien is older than dirt, so maybe there will be hope for me someday when I'm that ancient. :lol:
:peace:

mitt-romney-typo.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/u...ey-campaign-misspells-former-president-s-name

OKcomputer,

dannkk

That little stuff doesn't bother me to much, and I make a lot of those mistakes myself. Let's face it, we're not writing papers here. What really bugs me, though, is when posts are unreadable. If I have to guess what you're saying, or my eyes hurt because you can't use paragraphs, I'll skip it.

dannkk,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
I am a grammar freak with french...but I must admit my posts in english must be full of errors...sorry about it!

FLskwat,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
As long as a post is intelligible, I'm happy, I don't think anyone will begrudge someone for sloppy grammar if English is not their native language.
The thing that gets me is when a post is styled so crazily that I feel like I need a degree in hieroglyphics and anti-grammar to understand it.

Is there any language that uses a space, then a period to finish a sentence?
These two sentences .Are an example of what I'm talking about.
Because there is one person around here (I can't remember the name, and wouldn't want to call them out if I did) who posts like that, and I honestly have trouble deciphering what (s)he is saying 95% of the time (not just because of the . thing, but the whole grammatical style that member has)...

EDIT:
All of your posts that I've seen have been fine FLskwat :)

Frederick McGuire,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
As long as a post is intelligible, I'm happy, I don't think anyone will begrudge someone for sloppy grammar if English is not their native language.
The thing that gets me is when a post is styled so crazily that I feel like I need a degree in hieroglyphics and anti-grammar to understand it.

This sums up how I feel almost perfectly, thank you Frederick. I certainly expect more out of a native speaker also. From what I gather, English can be a fairly complicated language to pick up second hand. I have no problem doing a little deciphering sometimes. Those who are not native speakers, but are obviously making an effort to play by our silly grammar rules are OK in my book. :)

Peloton,

dorkus_molorkus

payed=paid, loose=lose, too=two

I cant believe I payed these too loosers so much money for such a shitty bag of weed!

Then there are those that like to post like they are texting their homies. So between the hieroglyphics & the faux gansta speak its nigh on impossible to decipher. Who'd have thunk (awesome grammer right there) that some lazy gen y kid who cant be bothered to string several words together into a cohesive sentence could be so much work to understand WTF they are on about. Much like talking to them as well.-lol

I must be getting old.

Communicating online is hard enough at times, a little bit of effort and proof reading goes a long way.
Besides, my heart breaks when I hear & read those who seek to turn the english language into an abortion.

BTW- its generally obvious whose english is a result of being their 2nd language, and those who are just lazy or semi-literate. Those who are learning english are fun to interact with, and can lead to a few laughs on the way. The lazy ones who supposedly have english as their 1st language are just plain hard work.

chk u l8r k?

weedemon

enthusiast
Well, now that you mention it.... whats up with then and than? For example
"That looks less THEN two grams" or "I thought it was smaller THEN that"... Then that? Then what? Is something else going to happen? I don't think anything bugs me, grammatically speaking, more THAN that. Peace all.

THANK YOU! Because of that I just caught myself making this mistake! :p lol! this thread is bringing higher levels of verbal clarity to my written word :)

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
If I'm 'lit' on a med & head forum and I mess up spelling (or see others that also error), then... 'get bent' :p because there are more important issues to be bothered or upset about.

Not to mention, that there are so many global different social/education levels online now, as well as medical conditions/injuries, that I've come to expect it once in a while. So 'normally' (for myself), I choose to ignore it and move on.

smokum,

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
^Whuzzat darkrom? Ebonics? Or gansta speak.

Don't be a grammar Nazi?
A recent survey by me shows that most teenagers "Don't give a fuck what we think about their (there, they're) grammatical skills. And we sound old" :myday:

I think texting and posting are slowly merging. I've seen ppl banned for "LEET" lol.

Pretty soon it'll be all "I remember typewriters and cursive, damn whipper-snappers "

Hopefully by then it'll be lazer vapes and jetpacks!

Outlaw Farmer,
Reactions: weedemon
Top Bottom