Glass Vapes From The Rogue Wax Works

TedJones

Works! Huge vapor at the end :sherlock:

Thanks for pointing this out! This is what I get for not reading... I'm going to keep it in mind for sure; aiming for the laziest and fastest workflow :cheers:
Right on. Yea, while using, you can see I try and hold the glass heater with the coil handle as if if were just like the quartz cap suspended by gravity. Otherwise, if you're hands free, you'll want to twist the bowl to get the air going up the other side of the bowl for pull #2 and so on .. Timing's gonna be everything with this one :mental:

TedJones

I wonder how well calibrated the pids are. I run the 14 at 525 and leave it on for the entire 4 hits
Yeah they’re definitely not one in the same. If I were to hook it to my disorderly, might need to set it at a different readout to achieve the same result. Last run I was at 488 with the leave on, take off method mentioned a couple posts ago. Gettin there👍

TedJones,
Reactions: RogueGuy

LordOfTheVapes

@LordOfTheVapes you have to turn it durring heat up and use. It's unfortunate but pretty easy

Appreciate you pointing this out and @TedJones earlier!

Going to use it the suggested way next for sure, turning it often, but still thinking of ways to make the user experience easier. Just tested a microdose where I dropped material into a pre-heated bowl and then placed the quartz heater on top. Yielded a really good, even 1 hit extraction @ 575F on CT PID.

Edit: I just took another microdose same as before; once all the quartz is preheated and everything is warmed up, the workflow seems efficient. A folded pipescreen can be used as a buffer between the heater and bowl on the handle side to get more even heating without rotating the cap if you are limited on space. I was going to purchase a VonG but I don't think I need it anymore after all this microdose testing :whoa:

@RogueGuy I'm getting outstanding results so far, really enjoying this :D

Appreciate your moving in the butane-free direction; do you think for future iterations something like the following could be done:

For the bowl/stem, before the dimples are added could the tube be placed into a lathe and, keeping the heater length in mind, heated up to add something like 3 evenly spaced beads of glass around the circumference of the stem that would facilitate even placement of the quartz heater around the stem once placed upon the bowl, and the dimples could be moved below. In this way no rotation would be required for even heating along with minimal airflow restriction, if possible?

Yeah they’re definitely not one in the same. If I were to hook it to my disorderly, might need to set it at a different readout to achieve the same result. Last run I was at 488 with the leave on, take off method mentioned a couple posts ago. Gettin there👍

I learned some valuable lessons swapping PIDs between DC CC & SB ;)
I wish the Vapvana PID would display temp fluctuations like the CT one.

Last edited:

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
@LordOfTheVapes I'll think on ways to deal with the heater sitting crooked.

@TedJones I really need to grab a thermometer and take some readings.

Ok here is a demo video of the technique I have been using

I did some experiments last night with the 18mm at low temps 450-500. Longer session with less robust vapor but what you woukd expect. I left the heater on the entire time. The longer the time between draws, the thicker the vapor.

While I think of this as a session vape. I did pull one hit, remove the heater, then took another hit until it stopped producing vapor. This second hit may have pulled the majority of heat out. Will need to experiment more.

@olysh pops thanks for the video!!

450f session. At the 2 minute mark I give it a 30 second soak. Next try will be 425f

Last edited:

MTpromises

HELLLO NURSE! I got my 18mm Electric Cap. So far the best hit I've gotten is at 650f (Crossing pid from the Screwball) with a generous 1 minute heat soak with just over .2g in the bowl. I've done a couple of too many bowls I think for right now. The 700f bowl I tried with no spinning really showed off the un-even heat from the lean. There was like a bit of a angled char line on the one side.

Bababouy

Gotten in two hits with the 18mm so far. First 550 and it turned out nice and espresso. Second 560 no noticeable difference. Third is coming up next at 580. This is with a Cloud Connoisseur PID that I autotuned for the included coil.

All 1 minute heat soaks using the timer (appreciate that it was included @RogueGuy)

Flavor has been fantastic so far. Seems to ride out very nicely until the last hit. Will report back more later

LordOfTheVapes

All 1 minute heat soaks using the timer (appreciate that it was included @RogueGuy)

I thought it was great too!

@RogueGuy I've seen TAG selling some hourglasses of varying duration but was never interested in them. I just want you to know that if you've ever considered listing heady hourglasses on your site, I would absolutely collect them⏳

Bababouy

Got up to 620 last night still doing the 1 minute soaks. Very quick effective vapor. I’m thinking if I go up much higher I’ll shorten the soak.

@RogueGuy is the bowl portion also quartz or is it glass? Was just thinking I could dunk it hot nightly if it’s quartz to keep it squeaky clean. Did not want to learn the hard way though 😬

LordOfTheVapes

@RogueGuy following up with you on trying to replicate the ball vape experience with no turning; I've settled on this config for now and during initial testing it really helped keep things way more even when doing the 1-min pre-soak but you have to clamp down the stem to make sure the heater slides off easily:

Perhaps a more sensible and robust solution could be integrated right into the bottom clip or some kind of insert that is clipped over? Only throwing this idea out there because I think it's an interesting problem to solve.

Btw I tightened up and evened out the roundness of the clamps using some pliers which helped a lot with keeping the screen segments in place.
I'm using a dipwand to check bowl temperatures and heating seems to be fairly even; not the easiest thing to check with bowl temps continually dropping off the heater.

Last edited:

Bababouy

@RogueGuy following up with you on trying to replicate the ball vape experience with no turning; I've settled on this config for now and during initial testing it really helped keep things way more even when doing the 1-min pre-soak but you have to clamp down the stem to make sure the heater slides off easily:

Perhaps a more sensible and robust solution could be integrated right into the bottom clip or some kind of insert that is clipped over? Only throwing this idea out there because I think it's an interesting problem to solve.

Btw I tightened up and evened out the roundness of the clamps using some pliers which helped a lot with keeping the screen segments in place.
I'm using a dipwand to check bowl temperatures and heating seems to be fairly even; not the easiest thing to check with bowl temps continually dropping off the heater.
Is this SS mesh or what are you using? Seems like a great idea and I have a huge roll of mesh sitting around

highvaper

Whoo my Terpcicle arrived and i got to work with making an element for it earlier today

I am using a 3mm x 0.02 nichrome wire and its resistance is around 1 ohm and im limiting the power it can draw to 120w - more info on the pid controller and element stuff on the other thread: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/bakx-heating-principle-inspired-desktop-vape.54964/

I also got a j-hook type thing:

Works well without the drop down thing and less to break as well:

Its an interesting device - its more convection than my test tube version - i prefer its larger straw part as is more free flowing - i packed it to about 2/3 full with a fine grind and gauze either side - it took about 10-15 mins to work through taking my time which is really nice. It works better if i heat the straw and main tube part for a little bit and then load when hot rather than load cold and wait for to get up to temp.

I found i need to start the temps at about 200C and can work my way all the way to 250C which is too hot with the test tube version. There is more flavour at the lower temps with the smaller tube version as there is more conduction i think (i can rest the straw against the tubes glass directly) but dont think the test tube version extracts as well as you cant push the temps quite as high - perhaps is more suited for micro dosing.

Also I have not tuned the pid to the new element/setup so temps are not that stable and need to figure out the tunings for it.

Last edited:

highvaper

Ok minor annoyance the coil moves a little bit around the outer Terpcicle tube - you need to adjust it every now and then and rearrange the coils so they are spaced out evenly.

However the outer Terpcicle tube fits perfectly into a 24mm test tube with like almost no gap between them - im not sure if the quartz and glass have the same expansion rate or if thats a problem at all under 300C - but am thinking maybe have the heater around the larger tube and just slide the Terpcicle in and out when needed so it can used wire free and its easier to then fix the larger tube and heater in place on some kind of backing/support rig.

Also you can then heat more of the tube more evenly as its hard to heat the whole Terpcicle tube and think the longer (length not time) the tube being heated the nicer the vape (well up to a point but thats how it was for me with experiments with the test tubes)

Last edited:

TedJones

Dang! Some serious Frankenstein stuff going on there :o
outer Terpcicle tube fits perfectly into a 24mm test tube with like almost no gap between them - im not sure if the quartz and glass have the same expansion rate or if thats a problem at all under 300C - but am thinking maybe have the heater around the larger tube and just slide the Terpcicle in and out when needed
Glass heating glass, to heat the bowl if I’m picturing correct 😬 Yikes, yea not sure about expansion. Cracking or shattering type scenario would suck :doh:

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
@MTpromises you ok? Did you get some medical attention? Hows the abv look at 660? How many hits?

@TedJones those looked like good hits!!

@LordOfTheVapes very clever. Ill give that a try

@highvaper thats awesome. I wish I was mechanically/electrically inclined. I did however just realize that the 18mm heater also fits the Terpcicle. I just had a great session with same temps and 1 minute preheat. Im curious how it will be when the joint eventually gets hot

20240418-111332.jpg

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
@TedJones how's your abv color been looking?

I hadn't thought about the Terpcicle for the coil mainly because of the size and the joint didn't seem as user friendly. But I have to say that it works really well, even better than the 18QC. If you have an 18 an Terpcicle, give it a try

Top Bottom