Discontinued Ghost MV1

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Yep, replacing internals of the pack looks very easy.:tup:

The battery packs are another weak point on the Ghost, and I suspect the inexpensive chipset and minimal programming. This because there were quite a few user reports detailing how later hits, sometimes even on just the second hit, were not working for the full time period. Now I don’t know if that’s something they addressed or not in a firmware update, or even if the current hardware could support it. But that has all the signs of an “unregulated” chip, meaning as the battery voltage drops, the performance via output drops. A short delay, and the lithium batteries recover a bit, and hopefully deliver more voltage on the next hit. I’m just speculating, many of these issues were solved by ECig mod makers using regulated chipsets. Also sourcing top brand 18650 batteries for “higher end” products would be smart, I don’t have one to open and see what’s in there, but they should at least be 3000mAh. Not sure if they wired this devices batteries in series or parallel.

Anyways, while it’s not totally fair to compare the Ghost, (I will a bit) to my New Vape WeedEater, which is an industrial design, a PID, a wire to a heating coil that’s wrapped around a titanium core, placed on top of a titanium flower bowl that sits on your glass rig. Just like a Ghost, it’s CONVECTION heating, you pull the heat through the “material”. It’s real temperature control. The only part besides the PID controller wearing out is the heating coil, which is standard 20mm flat. So simple and built to last, BUT it’s not portable and needs AC current. So while on almost the extreme end of product design, they both share something we can directly compare, and that’s end user price point. NV’s products are only competing with a few other companies in certain areas, but no one is cloning these industrial designs, making them somewhat unique. The prices however are not excessive for this kind of metal work.

On the other hand, portable vapes have a ton of competition, and lots of cloning. But if a product like the Ghost wants to originally list the price at $300 or more, it better deliver, and be top shelf, and thus except harsher criticisms. Sorry, long way to make a simple point, if the Ghost base price was at or below $125.00 approximately, then while I may be unhappy if it had issues or totally failed, I’d only be out a few bucks, not 3x as many bucks. Now many companies come and go do exactly that, they market and sell a product that sells well enough, but has a few issues, they don’t make much of a customer service effort, knowing they weren’t going to be around that long from the start.

Time will tell with this one. Always make sure you have a reliable home/desktop unit, all the rest are fun and maybe portable, etc., but eventually they will break your heart, and stop firing.....

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: okc0mputer

LesPlenty

Company Rep
If I am going to muck aound with a PID I would rather just have a Dab, fuck Newvape, I tried to buy a Showerhead kit from them and they wanted US$108 for shipping.:2c:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: F-UCTD
I have become aware of the difference between the best portable vape I have the mv1 and my evo . Mv1 Great results when I am consistent with what I do. But lately I have wondered what about if I tried to extract more with my evo. So I have been testing.

Evo turned max. I dont want to waste time to get everything. I usually cannot take in much.

Occasionally after mv1 session nothing left for the evo to get. Just tastes bad.

Mostly I can get a bit out and it tastes not terrible while the mv1 tastes pretty bad at this point. It is somewhat worth it. However sometimes it works to do 3 or 4 hits still tasting good in the mv1 . Wait 15 minutes and do the last in the evo. It tastes great and you were quite wasted by the third mv1 hit. And you can finish it much better than you would with just mv1 probably.

okc0mputer

I'm looking to get my first portable, and the ghost was at the top of my list. With the current lack of batteries and fast chargers (i did contact ghost about this...), the problems with flaking, and the latch in combination with the app issue, would you still buy an MV1? Thanks!

jbm

I'm looking to get my first portable, and the ghost was at the top of my list. With the current lack of batteries and fast chargers (i did contact ghost about this...), the problems with flaking, and the latch in combination with the app issue, would you still buy an MV1? Thanks!
I bought a satin silver MV1 recently. I didn’t get the great $125 deal, but I got the vape and a crucible dispenser for $175. I like it a lot. I’ve been using it in the evening at bedtime, and I microdose with it; I take 2 hits at 3 amber and 2 at 1 red and it’s great. The vapor is delicious and cool. I put it back into shipping mode by disconnecting the battery when I’m done. I also leave it connected to a USB charger all the time. I’m not entirely sure I need the fast charger, or a spare battery, though I’d probably buy them if they were available. I’d recommend the MV1, I’ve been happy with mine so far, and @virgil_GHOST has been extremely helpful and responsive to my questions.

kiddvudu2

I have to answer a very solid yes. I have owned mine for a year now. I have had the money and the desire to buy another toy only because, well, I've had this one for a year now. Lol. I have been actively shopping and researching and lurking trying to find my next portable for about 3 months now. I have put two other units into my carts and then decided to hold off. Every new device comes out with some kinks that need working out and as users start to tinker and report back to the forums the "characteristics" of said devices start to show themselves. I'm not necessarily talking about bad things, just the techniques that would be required to achieve a steady consistent and enjoyable experience. So far, when I compare the handful that I'm interested in to my MV1, I just can't see a major advantage, yet. I can't remember the last time that I got subpar results from a crucible because it is like second nature to me now.

Regarding the battery and quick charger situation, I've been on record several times already stating how my quick charger doesn't ever get used unless I'm boondock camping, when I'm only able to charge while my generator is running. However, I have several spare batteries. And at this point, I can easily just plug one into my truck when it is not in use and by the time I deplete one of them, that one is ready to go. The crucible dispenser is invaluable to me, it is a significant game changer. I don't own any other devices that allow me to load up some "clips" and be able to swap them out on the go in less then a few seconds. I know there are devices out there that you can do this with, I just don't own any.

The only thing you might want to consider is how close we are now to 4/20. I expect and hope that the market will do some fun things between now and then! Good luck!

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
Hey All,

For anyone new to the GHOST MV1, I can't stress enough how important our introductory article is. Up until now we haven't been providing it to our customers in our welcome emails (which makes me sad) but I hope that changes soon. Anyhow, here's the article to get you started. Your time and your herb are too valuable to waste figuring it out without it!

+MV1: Initial Setup

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes
Visit our Support KnowledgeBase for the most accurate information about your MV1 and Accessories+GHOST Vapes KnowledgeBase

martinstraka8282

I am generally happy with mine and I paid a whole lot more than you can get them for now.

If you prep your herb and use it correctly, it is a great vape.

I personally would not buy one without at least one crucible dispenser, as well as either a fast charger or a 2nd battery, ideally both. Getting those a bit later would be okay, but I would want assurances they're coming back in stock. Those are pretty much necessities in most use cases I would wager. I wouldn't want one otherwise, but every use case is a little varied.

I actually got away from using mine for a while after getting my vape collection a little too big and going full bore with Vapcaps, but I have circled back lately.

My main complaints are tiring of the crucibles after a while and the idea that the batteries will be useless after a couple years. There are ways around this that has helped rejuvenate my interest. A better design of the crucibles with better lids would go a long way, but I still prefer them significantly to the S&B dosing capsules for example.

I bought a funnel for filling crucibles from 3D Delta Studios just recently made specifically for the Ghost crucibles. My opinion is every damn ghost should come with one of these, holy crap what a game changer. I can not stress this enough how much more I don't mind filling the crucibles now. They have a filling tray they sell as well that looks a bit more robust and can do 4 at a time, but I thought that was a little overkill for me. The funnel is perfect imo and they need to hit this guy up for a partnership or something.

For the battery, there are apparently ways to easily swap out the internal 18650's in the battery pack according to this thread. I haven't researched this myself yet, and surely Ghost will say not to do it and could void your warranty, but it looks like a way to keep the device going for a few years more after your batteries die. Nothing really lasts forever, so I'm not going to pretend a device needs to, and proprietary batteries are so common it feels a little unfair to criticize, but a lot of vapes offer easy 18650 replacement, so it's a disadvantage I can't ignore.

/my 2 cents

okc0mputer

Thanks for your replies. I've been looking at portable vapes for a while, but have just now decided that i really don't want a mighty, which seems to be the main competitor for the mv1. The only portable i've ever tried was an iolite I bought a long time ago, so i'm not sure what to expect from a modern portable. I probably need to lower my expectations since i've been using my desktops exclusively for years. I really should hold off for 4/20 though...

kiddvudu2

Thanks for your replies. I've been looking at portable vapes for a while, but have just now decided that i really don't want a mighty, which seems to be the main competitor for the mv1. The only portable i've ever tried was an iolite I bought a long time ago, so i'm not sure what to expect from a modern portable. I probably need to lower my expectations since i've been using my desktops exclusively for years. I really should hold off for 4/20 though...
Lol, I still have my Iolite - orange edition!! It's up on my collector's shelf now though.

Peese!!

kiddvudu2,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Legit just dropping back into this thread in a new account to say that the upside down crucible trick is straight up brilliance. I have been getting very even, very fast bowls at 1/2 yellow light (not calling it amber, ever) that I did not often find myself enjoying with the correct method. I find after roasting that top layer you can flip it around and the whole crucible is remarkably well cooked. I know that a few green bits here and there is par for the course with the Ghost MV1, but I found pouring out my last crucible that it looked as even as my Mighty or Crafty.
Yes, you are correct ! it works amazingly well !! I don't stir @t all any more !!!

BLACK ICE !!!,

jbm

Ghost can session like a Mighty, But a Mighty can never match the flavour of the Ghost, Get one and this is coming from someone onto their 3rd unit for latch issues. Just don't get the stealth model perhaps.
I agree on the stealth model. I got a satin silver. I wish I had gotten the rose gold, but I was never interested in the stealth model, and when I did some research on the MV1, I saw that there had been latch and flaking problems with the stealth.

SquirrelMaster

I thought I would give the crazy upside down crucible trick a try earlier today so I started on Y1 then Y2 and then Y3 with it flipped. I checked the crucible and there was a nice dark circle center forming (way faster then normal). Then I flipped the crucible right side up and had 4/5 more on Y3. AVB was nice and dark.

More testing is needed but I'm intrigued.

Djsleepy

hey all .....busy on the thread .....I wanted to give an update on my heavy duty latch testing ( normal use for me) of my satin silver...so little over a month ago...I went thru two latches within days of each other.....Ghost as always took care of me and had suggested I let unit cool three to four minutes before opening latch and changing out crucibles as well as pushing in on latch to open and close( which I have been doing for a while)...so I had one unit I was using daily and one unit put up for when problems arose....I started using two all day.and switching between units every crucible, which allows for cooling of unit/latch....so far so good....keep this in mind when using......I'll let everyone know what happens next......hope it helps.....

badbee

... let unit cool three to four minutes before opening latch ....

This makes a lot of sense. There are two MV1's in my house, neither of them a stealth unit, and we've had no problems with the latch. We are light users who don't like to handle the crucibles until they cool off. I wondered how some people have had 2-3 break when others have no problem. A difference in usage and handling pattern is the most likely explanation.

Djsleepy

This makes a lot of sense. There are two MV1's in my house, neither of them a stealth unit, and we've had no problems with the latch. We are light users who don't like to handle the crucibles until they cool off. I wondered how some people have had 2-3 break when others have no problem. A difference in usage and handling pattern is the most likely explanation.

I do 30 crucibles a day and alot back to back, knew heat played a part along with opening/closing but very obvious now....

martinstraka8282

If I hear a 'click' when opening or closing the door latch I think to myself, damn, I did not do that right.:myday:
A little pressure on the door while manipulating the latch goes a long way to not stressing the latch.:2c:
This.

Been doing it almost since day one with my over year old Stealth. You can tell it relieves a lot of the stress on the latch.

david8613

If I hear a 'click' when opening or closing the door latch I think to myself, damn, I did not do that right.:myday:
A little pressure on the door while manipulating the latch goes a long way to not stressing the latch.:2c:

This! I hold down latch button, close the door release latch button, no stress on anything.

david8613,
Top Bottom