getting a medical card and its long term consequences

friedbanana8

I started smoking weed when i was 16 daily and did so till i was 20 which is when i quit for a couple years (thinking it would be for forever). After that first year, of having quit, I acquired a wrist injury, i dealt with the pain for about a year doing daily stretches and praying to get my hand back. After a year of hand exercises and little improvement i decided to try smoking weed again to see if it would help with the pain. I found that it does help with the pain. I have since then turned to vaping. I own a persei and some neat attachments that makes it an amazing tool to have. Concentrates aren't as easy to acquire illegally like herb so ive been thinking about getting a medical marijuana card to buy legally. However, I have always been hesitant about getting a card because im worried that it would pop up on a background check in the future when im trying to get a good job (im studying to be an engineer). Can companies check into person's medical history to see if they are or have been a medical marijuana patient? I also have a friend that wants to join the airforce, and he is currently a medical marijuana patient, not for any real reason though (he faked sleep problems or something to get the card), and he was wondering if the airforce could look into that even if he were to surrender his medical marijuana privileges before trying to join the airforce.

So im basically asking what are the bad consequences to having a medical marijuana card?

friedbanana8,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I have had multiple background checks in the state of California since getting my card for the past 4 or 5 years and have never had anything come up. Four back ground checks on me in the last 3 years alone, one as recently as last week for my new job. :tup:

friedbanana8

I have had multiple background checks in the state of California since getting my card for the past 4 or 5 years and have never had anything come up. Four back ground checks on me in the last 3 years alone, one as recently as last week for my new job. :tup:

Awesome! thanks for the reply!

friedbanana8,

satyrday

The future? Even if the feds totally cracked down on MMJ, I would be shocked if they persecuted patients who participated when it was legal at the state level. I would hope and expect this would still fall under medical confidentiality.

friedbanana8

The future? Even if the feds totally cracked down on MMJ, I would be shocked if they persecuted patients who participated when it was legal at the state level. I would hope and expect this would still fall under medical confidentiality.

if you get caught with some marijuana on your person while driving by the police, whether its meant to be confidential or not you'll be forced to reveal that you're a patient or you'll get cited by any kind of cop (ofcourse i have heard stories of some cops being cool with it and of some stealing one's stash). Especially if you're of the minority, and im not racist or anything but i see it in the face of every white person that i retell my experiences with cops that they never had to deal with that type of harrassment. Unfortunately, Ive never been pulled over by a cop just for a ticket, they always have to trash up my car and grab my balls, even though there isn't much reason to perform a search. They'll say some bullshit like, "oh you matched the description of a theif we're looking for." Ive even had money stolen from me by cops. So if state cops are dicks then why would federal cops be any different? If they have the legal power to cite you for something you've done illegally they will do so without hesitation. Dont ever expect nice treatment from any cop is the best advice, or you're doomed to be disappointed and buried under a stack of tickets and probably jail time. Federal police have legal power to cite anybody in the United states because according to the federal government marijuana is illegal in the United States.

satyrday

if you get caught with some marijuana on your person while driving by the police, whether its meant to be confidential or not you'll be forced to reveal that you're a patient or you'll get cited by any kind of cop (ofcourse i have heard stories of some cops being cool with it and of some stealing one's stash). Especially if you're of the minority, and im not racist or anything but i see it in the face of every white person that i retell my experiences with cops that they never had to deal with that type of harrassment. Unfortunately, Ive never been pulled over by a cop just for a ticket, they always have to trash up my car and grab my balls, even though there isn't much reason to perform a search. They'll say some bullshit like, "oh you matched the description of a theif we're looking for." Ive even had money stolen from me by cops. So if state cops are dicks then why would federal cops be any different? If they have the legal power to cite you for something you've done illegally they will do so without hesitation. Dont ever expect nice treatment from any cop is the best advice, or you're doomed to be disappointed and buried under a stack of tickets and probably jail time. Federal police have legal power to cite anybody in the United states because according to the federal government marijuana is illegal in the United States.
Good points. I'll just say I meant I don't think that if the feds seized MMJ records after all the state MMJ laws were shutdown, that they would go on a witch hunt and persecute patients who used while it was still legal for them at the state level. Speculating on more of a future total crackdown scenario and what the authorities would do with MMJ card records, whereas sounds like you're saying what could happen today if you're an MMJ patient and swept up while holding.

satyrday,

friedbanana8

Good points. I'll just say I meant I don't think that if the feds seized MMJ records after all the state MMJ laws were shutdown, that they would go on a witch hunt and persecute patients who used while it was still legal for them at the state level. Speculaing on more of a future total crackdown scenario and what the authorities would do with MMJ card records, whereas sounds like you're saying what could happen today if you're an MMJ patient and swept up while holding.

oh yeah you're probably right, it'd be too much of a hassle, and since many patients are probably older patients, since chronic pain is more common in older folk, it would be bad publicity seeing them arrest all these old folks just for dealing with their chronic pain. So, they probably wouldnt bother altogether. Unless you got on their badside for any reason, then they'll use everything they can to fuck you that individual over.

friedbanana8,
Reactions: satyrday

OO

Technical Skeptical
Let me be the first person to tell you then, cops do harass "white" people as well. Try full automobile searches and an arrest over tiny amounts of cannabis.

OO,

friedbanana8

Let me be the first person to tell you then, cops do harass "white" people as well. Try full automobile searches and an arrest over tiny amounts of cannabis.
Of course i know whites get harrassed too, but my observations tell me that its a rare occasion when compared to the harrassment minorities get.
we have it alot worse is what i mean. And to be frank, blacks have it worse beyond everyone, except maybe middle easterns. I had an experience where i was with my black friend and a latino friend like myself as well as two white friends, one a female and one a male. They handcuffed me and my hispanic friend as well as my black friend, then they went one step further with our black friend. They made him take of his shoes and socks in the dead cold of winter night and had him sit down on the curb without a jacket while they addressed only my white friends (like they were responsible for us) as to what we were upto that night. What surprised me a bit was that these cops were younger than us, and probably had gone to the same highschool as me and the police academy turned them into such racist pricks. It had to be the academy, because they couldnt have had the experience older cops have that they have no trust in people whatsoever. Im pretty sure they didnt learn that kind of attitude in highschool. It made me nervous that these young ass punks with guns were so on edge and aggressive, obviously they were convinced that we would try to do something crazy( academy brainwashed) and weren't experienced enough to handle such a situation well. My friends noticed this too so we kept extra still and i just prayed that nothing went wrong. Cops are supposed to make you feel safe, everytime i see one, i feel nothing but unsafe. But why did they do the things they did? Fresh out of the academy and already giving minorites a bad eye. They are taught to be racist. One of the cops had his hand on his gun pretty much the whole time. They threw up my whole car, found nothing, and then jacked $200 bucks out of my wallet (my rent money). At this point their supervisor had shown up and responded to my accusation by threatening to take us all down to the station so that they could perform a more thorough search on everyone, no doubt they were going to plant the money on one of my friends, so i got in my car and left with my buddies. I was so embarrassed for my black friend, who was the only person they had strip down to his bare feet. I didnt bring it up on the car ride home (not that there was a single person that didnt notice the prejudice) but ive had other cops do this to me and my bro too; bare feet in the cold ass night, while they lectured us over nothing. I saw that movie django the other day, and i realized that every cop has treated me and my pals of color like immature kids just like as they treated blacks in that movie. I was so mad about my money getting stolen that night that i went down to the station to talk to the watch commander a few days later, after telling some people at my work about what happened. The white people looked surprised( of course where i work theres only like 2) we are mostly black and hispanics and phillipinos. I was a product assembler at the time. Pretty much everyone except that whites laughed when i recounted the events of that night and then everyone started swapping stories of what cops had done to them. So im at the station where they had me wait 3 hours on a hard ass bench. I was so mad though i waited. Finally the lady got tired of me asking for the watch commader so she went to the back and wouldn't you know it he was back there all along. I described what happened, while the watch commander looked at me like i was wasting mines and his time. He was right, cause i never got my money back. This was last year, and i have more stories today of about the same magnitude than i did then. I was a dorner fan the very moment i heard about his threat to the cops until i heard he killed some innocent people. Then i felt he was just as bad as the cops he was trying to kill. I cant believe those rodney king cops all got promotions and are still cops today. What the fuck man?!

Edit: this rant may have gotten a little out of hand; i just want to say that i dont think of myself as morpheus from matrix opening people's eyes. Im sure everyone is aware of how cops can be. Guess i was just blowing off some steam. Thats how bad it is for me, cops bring this anger out of me all the time. I always act polite to them cause i know they can fuck me over and the world would take their side, but its bullshit.

OO

Technical Skeptical
I have to echo your sentiments had I been in that scenario. It is very unfortunate that those we have given such responsibility to treat people so differently based upon how they are born.

It's disgusting to be treated in such a way.

As for Dorner, I'm still not sure he killed anyone, I have searched for some time and still haven't come across any evidence that he was responsible for anyone's death. Call me a tin-hat-toter, but that whole situation was as scary as it gets with police running in the streets shooting at random people, and yet no information has been presented to the public as to his guilt.

As for your topic, you're not the only one who is afraid to get a license for the fear that their info will be seized by those wishing to bring harm to others.

friedbanana8

I have to echo your sentiments had I been in that scenario. It is very unfortunate that those we have given such responsibility to treat people so differently based upon how they are born.

It's disgusting to be treated in such a way.

As for Dorner, I'm still not sure he killed anyone, I have searched for some time and still haven't come across any evidence that he was responsible for anyone's death. Call me a tin-hat-toter, but that whole situation was as scary as it gets with police running in the streets shooting at random people, and yet no information has been presented to the public as to his guilt.

As for your topic, you're not the only one who is afraid to get a license for the fear that their info will be seized by those wishing to bring harm to others.

yeah, looking back at what happened the whole thing was super sketchy. Days after they said they killed him i was thinking that they faked his death and that really he had gotten away. I guess we'll never know what really happened those days, but cops are definitely getting sloppy. I hope you're right about him not killing those people. No doubt there are some good cops (i havent had the pleasure of meeting one yet, but im sure there are some), but Dorner was something else. He was an entirely different species of cops.
Yeah you're right we are getting off topic. As for the medical card im going to ask my doctor about it. He'd probably be my best source of information. Just thought i'd get some info from the web beforehand.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

friedbanana8,

shadycheeba

not sure what state your in,but here in RI patients and caregivers are protected under a privacy act.nobody will ever know you have a card here unless you tell them.

shadycheeba,

lwien

In Cali, you have two choices. You can get a card issued by your dispensary that does not get put into any governmental database, or......you can get a state issued card that IS put into a governmental database.

lwien,

SD_haze

In Cali, you have two choices. You can get a card issued by your dispensary that does not get put into any governmental database, or......you can get a state issued card that IS put into a governmental database.
With the state-issued-card offering a lot more protection against police than a MMJ Doctor-issued one :bang:

(At least here in San Diego, a MMJ Doctor issued "rec" isn't taken too seriously by Police, unless you have a clear, obvious medical issue. Or white hair maybe ;) )

SD_haze,

lwien

Yeah, you're right. Guess I'm really fortunate in that for all of the drugs that I have taken over the decades, I never once came even close to getting busted. I chalk it off to playing it smart along with a bit of luck.

friedbanana8

not sure what state your in,but here in RI patients and caregivers are protected under a privacy act.nobody will ever know you have a card here unless you tell them.

oh yeah, i realize i should have mentioned the state im in, my bad. Im from los angeles county, california.
I think ima lean more towards the MMJ Doctor issued one. Privacy is whats at stake here for me. Before i started vaping a couple months back, ever since my first car, i usually carried some bud in my car and ive been lucky ive only been pulled over when i didnt have some. Im blessed or something in that regard. So, I figure since i strictly vape now that ill only have to worry about days when im picking up. Of course i always carry my persei vape with me, but it doesn't give off any smell just sitting there so teres ha chance i could pass it off as an e-juice vape.

Does it cost to get a MMJ card in cali? and if so is there a difference in cost from one card to the other?

friedbanana8,

satyrday

LAPD revolutionized U.S. police tactics in the 1960s through SWAT team development helmed by a young Daryl Gates. This helped usher in paramilitary police forces, which are the norm now, especially in big cities.

The SLA got a dose of it in 1975 when instead of the gentler negotiation tactics they might have expected on their home turf of San Francisco, they were quickly burned to cinders in their L.A. "safe house" (shades of Waco, Dorner, etc).

As usual, many things good and questionable start in California and ripple across the country. Now almost every podunk police force in the nation loves to wear their brownshirts. This is indicative of a strong allergic reaction in this country to anything that upsets peaceful mom & pop, baseball & apple pie livin' - not necessarily a bad defense mechanism, but one that erupts in ugly incidents that are hard to shake from your mind. Radicalism has difficulty taking root here - for good or bad.

Speaking of brownshirts... this is another interesting part of L.A. history: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...geles-bunker-planned-run-Nazi-empire-war.html

Checkered past in the city of angels.

P.S. I don't feel this discussion is off-topic as MMJ card repurcussions and police tactics go hand-in-hand.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
if you get caught with some marijuana on your person while driving by the police, whether its meant to be confidential or not you'll be forced to reveal that you're a patient or you'll get cited by any kind of cop (ofcourse i have heard stories of some cops being cool with it and of some stealing one's stash). Especially if you're of the minority, and im not racist or anything but i see it in the face of every white person that i retell my experiences with cops that they never had to deal with that type of harrassment.
I'm not white but was with some friends at a quieter part of a lake. Our dank was apparently too dank because someone called them in while we were off fishing and he basically told us to fuck off to a friend's house or something because he couldn't be bothered with the paperwork for a couple stoners not bothering anyone anyways and told us to "drive safely" when we left. Some cops just don't care anymore about a little weed. Being a patient now I care even less about going from the collective home. I've been stopped before for literally no reason. I suspect having a brand new car at the time and being not-white may have had something to do with it (as well as their attitude with me during the stop.) Of course they couldn't pin shit down on me.

My rec up in Los was $40. Renewals are $30.

OO

Technical Skeptical
If you read the law carefully, a card is absolutely not required in California, you need nothing on paper to show to an officer. Literally all you need is the oral recommendation of a licensed physician.

That is all.

All of the information is available on NORML's website.

BTW, this means that you don't need a card to show an officer anything, if he is an officer of California, he has to accept your word on it, or so the law states. That being said, having the recommendation of treatment with cannabis (in lieu of a card) in writing should be more than sufficient to satisfy the officer, and this is something you can print on waterproof/tearproof fabric, and keep on your person.

This is the route I would recommend if you are in this state and don't want records anywhere.

I would recommend reading up on California's laws if you plan on remaining a resident of the state. The laws relating to cannabis are all available on NORML's website.

friedbanana8

LAPD revolutionized U.S. police tactics in the 1960s through SWAT team development helmed by a young Daryl Gates. This helped usher in paramilitary police forces, which are the norm now, especially in big cities.

The SLA got a dose of it in 1975 when instead of the gentler negotiation tactics they might have expected on their home turf of San Francisco, they were quickly burned to cinders in their L.A. "safe house" (shades of Waco, Dorner, etc).

As usual, many things good and questionable start in California and ripple across the country. Now almost every podunk police force in the nation loves to wear their brownshirts. This is indicative of a strong allergic reaction in this country to anything that upsets peaceful mom & pop, baseball & apple pie livin' - not necessarily a bad defense mechanism, but one that erupts in ugly incidents that are hard to shake from your mind. Radicalism has difficulty taking root here - for good or bad.

Speaking of brownshirts... this is another interesting part of L.A. history: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...geles-bunker-planned-run-Nazi-empire-war.html

Checkered past in the city of angels.

P.S. I don't feel this discussion is off-topic as MMJ card repurcussions and police tactics go hand-in-hand.

I fail to see your point. Is it simply that we shouldn't chalk up all cops of the LAPD as worthless scum? Or to point out that the public flips back and forth between loving the LAPD and hating them based on their most recent actions?

Cops have done good, which is to be expected from them as it is their job to do so, but this is no excuse for them acting above the law. There's this quote in the bible from Jesus that says "those who praise themselves shall be humbled and those who humble themselves will be praised." I think most cops fall under the former group. And believe full heartedly that they need to be dropped down a notch.
Yes LAPD has brought forth many fruits, but so have groups that without a doubt are considered evil.
Its interesting how you put up the nazi article. That war was a major event in history that bared many fruits of today, yet if hitler were still alive and he stood up on stage for the world to see, and tried to justify his destruction of millions of lives with these "fruits," nobody in their right mind would let him off the hook. Moreover, if anyone of us had a chance to go back in time to stop the need for such a war by killing hitler, i ask who of you would not rise to the occasion?
I realize comparing the LAPD to nazi germany is really stretching it. But im just merely pointing out the biggest example of how good does not excuse the bad. Its plain to see that these advancements by the LAPD that were for good are being used for bad today by the very same people.

EDIT: i also find it ironic how data from the nazi experiments which were evil at heart, can be used for good today, yet it is forbidden to use such data.

friedbanana8,
Reactions: vorrange

satyrday

I fail to see your point.
No argument from me. Just describing the roots of the hardcore status quo preservation apparatus, aka paramiltary police state. No major point really, though from a moral standpoint I see that apparatus corrupting itself. But what's new? We are all brothers trampled under foot in one way or another, though some much more screwed at any given time.

friedbanana8

No argument from me. Just describing the roots of the hardcore status quo preservation apparatus, aka paramiltary police state. No major point really, though from a moral standpoint I see that apparatus corrupting itself. But what's new? We are all brothers trampled under foot in one way or another, though some much more screwed at any given time.

oh ok, now i understand. Amen brother.

friedbanana8,
Reactions: satyrday

OO

Technical Skeptical
I fail to see your point. Is it simply that we shouldn't chalk up all cops of the LAPD as worthless scum? Or to point out that the public flips back and forth between loving the LAPD and hating them based on their most recent actions?

Cops have done good, which is to be expected from them as it is their job to do so, but this is no excuse for them acting above the law. There's this quote in the bible from Jesus that says "those who praise themselves shall be humbled and those who humble themselves will be praised." I think most cops fall under the former group. And believe full heartedly that they need to be dropped down a notch.
Yes LAPD has brought forth many fruits, but so have groups that without a doubt are considered evil.
Its interesting how you put up the nazi article. That war was a major event in history that bared many fruits of today, yet if hitler were still alive and he stood up on stage for the world to see, and tried to justify his destruction of millions of lives with these "fruits," nobody in their right mind would let him off the hook. Moreover, if anyone of us had a chance to go back in time to stop the need for such a war by killing hitler, i ask who of you would not rise to the occasion?
I realize comparing the LAPD to nazi germany is really stretching it. But im just merely pointing out the biggest example of how good does not excuse the bad. Its plain to see that these advancements by the LAPD that were for good are being used for bad today by the very same people.

EDIT: i also find it ironic how data from the nazi experiments which were evil at heart, can be used for good today, yet it is forbidden to use such data.
Though I agree with most of what you say, a quick trip to Manzanar is a vivid reminder of just how oppressive our own society has been not that long ago. I thought The Dark Night was an excellent movie for the depiction of exactly how society is reactionist and easily manipulated like you describe, and suggests the many failings that we will have to avoid in the future.

Just keep an eye out for any legislation/policy changes in the name of your safety.

friedbanana8

Though I agree with most of what you say, a quick trip to Manzanar is a vivid reminder of just how oppressive our own society has been not that long ago. I thought The Dark Night was an excellent movie for the depiction of exactly how society is reactionist and easily manipulated like you describe, and suggests the many failings that we will have to avoid in the future.

Just keep an eye out for any legislation/policy changes in the name of your safety.

Its sad how those camps arose out of the terrorism at pearl harbor. I wonder if thats why the Unites States feels the need to police the world, having seen first-hand how terrorism can turn a country against its own people (in this case our very own japanese american bretheren). I wonder if part of this country's need to police the world roots from the guilt of having fallen victim to the consequences of terrorism. Its plain to see that other countries have picked up on and have tried to exploit this weakness in that terror in the past has shown to create some divisions like the ones pearl harbor and 9/11 created.
This same effect can be seen by the sprouting of some gangs in that the terror the cops instill on the public has cause individuals to pin themselves against the whole country.

Yeah the dark knight was one of the best films ever made.

friedbanana8,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
It's my opinion that the US is "policing the world" in order to keep its citizenry focused away from just how bad things are here."Wag the dog" was NOT that far off...

It's an incredibly massive waste of money (ours, btw) that should be going to health care, education, and infrastructure (remember the I-35 bridge in Mpls?).

Top Bottom