Ganja and getting fat?

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Hi FC! I was curious whether you think Cannabis DIRECTLY makes you fat, or is it from the munchies/laziness/etc...?

If you have a story about food and ganja, share it here!

Let us know whether you gained weight or lost weight also :)

<3 :brow:

Elluzion,

FlasH

Downhill demon
I've never seen or heard anything said about it directly causing you fat and I'm pretty sure it will not augment the size of adipocytes. If you do get the munchies try to munch on something healthy like fruits, that will help the fat cell size thing if not eaten in extreme excess. :)

FlasH,

max

Out to lunch
It increases your appetite, which is helpful for those that don't have one and need to eat- not so helpful if it prompts you to overeat. I've never heard anything about it altering fat cells in any way. Doesn't really make sense that it would.

max,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i've seen zero studies either way, so it is plausible that it may affect fat cells.

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

I think the habit of smoking/vaping cannabis most probably leaves traces behind which accumulates in fat cells but one would have to consume large quantities to make those cells larger i suppose... Anyway, if you're concerned about getting fat then maybe that's a sign telling you it's time to imitate your alias (very nice, by the way!):

3879.gif

My guess is there's something about "pot" there, right? Which is it: "TeaPot", "CrackPot", "WhateverPot"?...

Gi'me a hand here, English isn't my native language!

:D

Egzoset,

SmokingElectricity

all them prizzas i order cause i'm too baked and too lazy to go cook something healthy.

heh heh heh prizza.
:ko:

SmokingElectricity,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Its a well-proven fact that THC does increase ones likelihood to succumb to the temptation of pie. At least, in the testing i've done. :lol: blueberry, chocolate cream, cherry, chocolate eclair, pumpkin cream, apple... i could go on?

Its just a question of if you have the active lifestyle and/or metabolism to allow for such indulgences without tipping the scales. I havent seen any studies that prove that it makes your body put on more weight tho, given teh same other variables.

steiner666,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Elluzion said:
Hi FC! I was curious whether Cannabis DIRECTLY makes you fat, or is it from the munchies?

Let me know if you know something :)

I gained more weight munching when I was pregnant, and I didn't use cannabis either. I believe it is the munchies, under any circumstances. :D

Vicki,

Egzoset

Banned
Yes Steiner666! More! More!

Something as basic as a plate with a tiny slice of cherry pie, a minute portion of ice cream with real dark cherries in it, a trace of marasquin cherry liqueur for the topping and just a touch of whipped cream to finish the center setup... Now, what would fit best around this?...

:drool:

Elluzion, if you're already in the kitchen and about to visit your fridge after reading this then don't search any further trying to figure out where the real threat might come from!

Egzoset,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Egzoset said:
Hummm...

I think the habit of smoking/vaping cannabis most probably leaves traces behind which accumulates in fat cells but one would have to consume large quantities to make those cells larger i suppose... Anyway, if you're concerned about getting fat then maybe that's a sign telling you it's time to imitate your alias (very nice, by the way!):

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/img/avatars/3879.gif?m=1284533720

My guess is there's something about "pot" there, right? Which is it: "TeaPot", "CrackPot", "WhateverPot"?...

Gi'me a hand here, English isn't my native language!

POT + HEAD = POT HEAD :) haha

Yeah i wouldn't think that cannabis would directly make you fat, but yeah if I get too high, i just can't control myself and i'll literally eat everything. I am going to do a study possibly.

Elluzion,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
I have always been underweight (right now, I'm 6'2" - 6'3" and just 140lbs). Just my genetic makeup...my parents are tall and slender and so are my brothers. When I started using cannabis, I was eagerly awaiting the gain of about 10 pounds or so, just to help bring me up to a 'healthy' level. Never happened. I did the late night drive through thing as well, but I never saw a anything that made me think I was gaining weight from pot.

I think if people put on weight after starting to use MJ, its because they are eating more (from munchies). A good fall back I like for munchies is Frosted Mini Wheats - high in fiber (makes you feel full) a little bit of sweetness, easy to eat, etc. The only thing is they have a good amount of Carbs...so if you are watching carbohydrate intake, maybe not for you. Possibly find another cereal of your choice.

finchrock24,

Nycdeisel

I dont think that cannabis use directly causes one to gain or retain more weight. However, since everyone is affected differently, some people may get lazy and will eat junk food, then they get in that habit whenever they use cannabis, and it can be an ongoing cycle.

It seems that for most habitual users, its like a phase, where people get 'the munchies' often and later they realize why they gained weight, and most are able to turn it around(but again, everyone is different).

Nycdeisel,

djonkoman

well I've always been just the right weight without ever avoiding fatrich things, I just eat what I like and want at the moment(and I avoid lightproducts(think they're called diet-products in the US, like diet coke), I'm against the whole principle of lightproducts and usually their taste can't match the regular product by far)
never been a really big eater tough, and when I have the munchies I go mostly for quality(I don't like feeling full, I do like eating delicuious stuff when stoned so I just choose for a smaller amount of something I want more at that moment, even if it takes some time to make it)

djonkoman,

crawdad

floatin
when im vaping i usually do enough to get pretty well baked and i get the munchies almost every time. if i do just a little i dont get the munchies and its a mellow feeling.

when i do get the munchies i want fun food, like freshly baked cookies or tortilla chips sprinkled with shredded cheese and warmed in the oven...stuff like that. a little while ago i hiked into the woods and got lit out of my mind, brought only some fruit and water which means a lot of water and two apples...figured i was too far to get back to the truck to do anything about it so i would have the munchies at bay...wrong! after about 2 hours of a trip around the area i hiked back double time and found the closest fast food joint and ordered whatever the number 2 was, i picked that number for a reason i think but im not sure.

anyhow, wont do that again. i was told by an old timer to the herb i should stock my fridge with lots of carrots and celery and not much else because when you do get the craving, you eat whatever there is.

crawdad,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Started vaping a shade over a year ago. Went from almost nothing/day then to 1+ g/day as I found out how good it helped arthritis pain. Of course euphoria, transient memory disruptions, flights of fancy and a bizzare, irrational appetite. Dec/09 I weighed 196 lbs @ 6ft. Currently holding at 176 lbs. A hell of a lot more active now than a few years ago. Definitely still get the munchies (about 2 hours ago I ate cabbage perogies/sour cream/bacon/cabbage pereshke, and I'm fricking ravenous at the moment; my stomach is gurgling :) ).

I dunno; maybe it's better to try Sativa's, so at least if you get the munchies ya bounce around with a calorie burning energy....

Tom

tdavie,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I'll dig around the fridge for overlooked classics; everything tastes good and deeply satisfying.
I've actually lost 40 pounds since I chose to revisit cannabis 3 years ago and vaping 2 1/2 years now.
Approximately. It is a matter of exercise and drinking alot of water and eating healthy food.
For example, I used to love drinking apple juice in the morning; a deep swig out of the bottle upon awakening.
The idea of water, of replacing fruit juice with water, seemed unsatisfying to me until I habituated myself and now I find that water is the only thing that satisfies my thirst and I crave it.

As an aside I was thinking about the concept of willfully eating expired food as a humorous self deprecating way to commit suicide. But I guess suicide is the ultimate self deprecation - I'm just saying.

jeffp,

Egzoset

Banned
I make jokes about cannabis vs the sudden urge to eat myself but the truth is, when i smoked, the "munchies" was no big problem for me: i remember lunch hours often seemed to come too fast and i had a tendency to delay them, on the contrary! Perhaps innactivity is the real danger and cable TV + full fridge form an explosive combination.

Egzoset,

GreenLeaf

You're only going to get fat from using herb if you binge on junkfood while getting the munchies and you don't exercise at all.

GreenLeaf,

Nycdeisel

Egzoset said:
I make jokes about cannabis vs the sudden urge to eat myself but the truth is, when i smoked, the "munchies" was no big problem for me: i remember lunch hours often seemed to come too fast and i had a tendency to delay them, on the contrary! Perhaps innactivity is the real danger and cable TV + full fridge form an explosive combination.

This. I like to joke about "the munchies :p " but if someone wanted to speak seriously about it, I would let them know whats up. Some people indirectly make habit of activities that will cause them to become overweight in a short period of time.

Nycdeisel,

crawdad

floatin
well, i dont normally crave food all that much and dont have issues with boredom and can tell you that the munchies for me is pretty strong when high. i wouldn't say its a major problem but something i do have to keep in check each time as its rare i dont get a strong case of munchies while high...hell, im here posting on this forum right now to keep from running to the fridge/oven/freezer/cabinet/pantry.

crawdad,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Honestly IMO the munchies are determined by your "weed experience"

People who have been using steadily will most likely tell you they no longer get the munchies and they dont experience paranoia, if a good tolerance break is taken these can come back for a short time IME.

Over the last 6 months i have been vaping ( and smoking ) quite heavily with a few decent tolerance breaks in between ( 5 weeks for one break, 3 for the other ).

I can tell you from my personal experience that you can smoke / vape a LOT and still lose a LOT of weight, in the past 6 months i have dropped about 80 pounds and gained about 10-20 pounds of muscle.

If i have learned anything over the past year its that almost everything is in your head, who cares what you have heard or experienced. If you really want to change than nothing can stop you, if you try and fail and try and fail than your simply not ready and dont yet realize whats truly important.

/end rant that has little to do with weeds effect on appetite

Survivalism,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Survivalism said:
Honestly IMO the munchies are determined by your "weed experience"

People who have been using steadily will most likely tell you they no longer get the munchies and they dont experience paranoia, if a good tolerance break is taken these can come back for a short time IME.

Over the last 6 months i have been vaping ( and smoking ) quite heavily with a few decent tolerance breaks in between ( 5 weeks for one break, 3 for the other ).

I can tell you from my personal experience that you can smoke / vape a LOT and still lose a LOT of weight, in the past 6 months i have dropped about 80 pounds and gained about 10-20 pounds of muscle.

If i have learned anything over the past year its that almost everything is in your head, who cares what you have heard or experienced. If you really want to change than nothing can stop you, if you try and fail and try and fail than your simply not ready and dont yet realize whats truly important.

/end rant that has little to do with weeds effect on appetite

Actually I really appreciated your rant hahaha. It left a good impression on me. Yeah i truly agree with what you are saying. Who cares about statistics? blah blah balh. Be that person who changes the world, because yeah truly it is all in your head.

Elluzion,

Pappy

shmaporist
Getting fat has more to do with genetics and mentality than MJ, dare I say. :uhoh:

Pappy,
Top Bottom