Future portable vapes

hye

What the fuck is up gang

what do you think future (portable) vapes will look / be like?

anything to be improved upon on our current devices? e.g maybe the ability to store up to a few gs in the device and have it automatically reload bud when the bowl gets extracted.

Farid

The biggest change to portables will happen with battery technology improvements.

I'm particularly interested in patents like this one: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20230240357A1/en?assignee=Juul&oq=Juul+&sort=new

It's clearly influenced by the Dynavap style use of butane and a bimetalic temperature indicator. The difference is this bimetalic mechanism will work as a temperature regulstor, cutting off the fuel at the click. What makes it REALLY interesting is it comes from JUUL labs / PAX.

Your idea for automatic loading is something I've looked at too, and even made a thread about (though that is a desktop design).

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
the ability to store up to a few gs in the device and have it automatically reload bud when the bowl gets extracted.
Is that a feature that you want? I grind on demand so I almost never want to store anything outside of my humidity controlled containers. But some people love dosing caps so that seems possible. Sort of reminds me of the Haze Square.

Personally I am looking for improvements in heater tech, form factor, and potentially battery life. And I have a list of "innovations" that I avoid.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yeah. Like @Farid said.Battery/power is where it's at.

We have desktop vapes that can punch out enough vapor ti fill a bong like a combustion hit does.
The biggest space for portables to improve into is to close the gap of vapor production between portables and desktop vaporizers. And this is a power issue with portables.

The biggest change to portables will happen with battery technology improvements.

I'm particularly interested in patents like this one: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20230240357A1/en?assignee=Juul&oq=Juul+&sort=new

It's clearly influenced by the Dynavap style use of butane and a bimetalic temperature indicator. The difference is this bimetalic mechanism will work as a temperature regulstor, cutting off the fuel at the click. What makes it REALLY interesting is it comes from JUUL labs / PAX.

Your idea for automatic loading is something I've looked at too, and even made a thread about (though that is a desktop design).
looking forward to seeing sleeker designs, longer battery life, and maybe even more customizable temperature settings

Artrix Global,

Farid

Where I see the most need for immediate improvement within the battery portable realm is aesthetics.

Butane vapes seem to have this nailed. Dynavap, Vapman, Anvil, etc all have really excellent looks to them, and feel great in the hand

Battery portables have the Nomad/Toad and that's about it. Not to say that other devices look or feel awful, but they're certainly not at that same level. Obviously a mass produced vape can't look like the Toad, that's a piece of art. But they can take inspiration from that style design. The sleek minimalism. The use of high quality materials.

Honestly, I think if a vape isn't a custom piece of art, using wood tends to look cheap rather than elegant. I know that's a controversial statement considering how many people here love wood everything. The vapman and logs are the only vapes that I think manage to pull it off while still being mass produced. But I've never liked the looks of wood on most battery portables (DMs stuff excluded), especially 510 vapes.

Radwin Bodnic

The vapman and logs are the only vapes that I think manage to pull it off while still being mass produced.
Until the recent Italian Vapman renaissance, the units were mostly made by our very own René, with an old school lathe and a small drill press, all assembled by hand. Metallic and POM components have been outsourced but that's not what I would call a mass production.
Even now that Michael and David have switched to machining the wood parts, it's still a two man show...

I can't really speak for logs but from what I see, most of them are still made with few workforce and not in big quantities.

Of course we are not talking about the hundred and so hours that Dan is putting into a Nomad II but vapman and logs manufacturers are closer to him than they are to S&B, Arizer or PAX...

More on topic : I don't think there is only one evolution line about portables vapes. I tend to think that low tech vapes will still have a wide audience along the more high-tech, fast-innovation oriented devices.

Durbandream

A pocketable device that can evenly and quickly extract full or gently broken up nugs as well as ground herb, has precise temperature control and a fully isolated airpath. Basically a perfected Arizer Air Max.

Durbandream,
Reactions: budski

AssistedLiving

A pocketable device that can evenly and quickly extract full or gently broken up nugs as well as ground herb, has precise temperature control and a fully isolated airpath. Basically a perfected Arizer Air Max.

that sounds like my 2 year old tm, I've never used a grinder, too much odor

AssistedLiving,

Durbandream

that sounds like my 2 year old tm, I've never used a grinder, too much odor
TM doesn't have precise temp control and I prefer the conduction-heavy effect from Arizer vapes. That reminds me, an efficient conduction-heavy vape would be great.

Durbandream,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
TM does have a full temp range dial, I don't think precise temp numbers mean anything from vape to vape personally, and I don't think they're necessary at all... For me it does everything I would want really, though there's always room for improvement that is top tier in my mind... Just sayin, since so many other vapes were mentioned here and I don't think of them as the future at all :2c::peace:

Durbandream

TM does have a full temp range dial, I don't think precise temp numbers mean anything from vape to vape personally, and I don't think they're necessary at all... For me it does everything I would want really, though there's always room for improvement that is top tier in my mind... Just sayin, since so many other vapes were mentioned here and I don't think of them as the future at all :2c::peace:
I get different effects at different precise temps with the Air Max, there's no question the numbers mean something to me. Even if it's psychological, humans are psychological creatures. I totally understand it not being a concern for someone else, though.

Durbandream,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I get different effects at different precise temps with the Air Max, there's no question the numbers mean something to me. Even if it's psychological, humans are psychological creatures. I totally understand it not being a concern for someone else, though.
But wouldn't that also be the case if the numbers were "3, 5, 7" instead of "360, 400, 420"?

Shit Snacks

Yeah, and it's the same way with the dial on the tinymight... Point being that is precise temp control, even if it doesn't have the same numbers, because my point was the numbers are not the same across different vapes anyway (I used to use Arizer and those are far from universal temp settings and that is far from a versatile vape imo)

Durbandream

But wouldn't that also be the case if the numbers were "3, 5, 7" instead of "360, 400, 420"?
I mean, I've used a TM2 and those numbers definitely didn't have the same effect on me regarding the degree of difference, so no, probably not.

Last edited:

Durbandream

Yeah, and it's the same way with the dial on the tinymight... Point being that is precise temp control, even if it doesn't have the same numbers, because my point was the numbers are not the same across different vapes anyway (I used to use Arizer and those are far from universal temp settings and that is far from a versatile vape imo)
TM temp control isn't precise. The TM goes from 1-10, the Arizer goes to ~420f in one degree increments.

It's kind of funny people are surprised that two vapes made by two completely different companies using different technology would function differently, but they do. I have butane vapes that hit a lot harder than a TM but I still go back to the Air Max regularly, in large part because of how well it handles temp stepping.

Last edited:
Durbandream,

Durbandream

Arizer portables suck imo. They don’t fully extract

For the future… I’d love a reliable grasshopper size on demand mini tm2 type thing 💚💨
Domed stainless steel screens will get you quick, full extraction with Arizer vapes. At least the Solo 2 and Air Max. I stopped using them since I don't like using screens and I have a quartz cap and terpcicle for ball vape type extraction.

Last edited:
Durbandream,

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Someone’s gonna figure out how to produce the flavor, purity, and performance of cottage vapes like the TM/Toad at scale. China vapes are getting iteratively closer but still have a ways to go.

Ultimately, profitable = probable.

cx714,
Reactions: Varden

Shit Snacks

TM temp control isn't precise. The TM goes from 1-10, the Arizer goes to ~420f in one degree increments.

What are you talking about? It's a full dial, there's a wide range between level 3 and 4, as much so that you can do one degree increments not that that fucking matters at all... TM goes higher than 420f and also way lower than Arizer can with better results in my experience... TM is precise, you set it to the same level, you get the same results, depending on the other factors of course as there are a lot of variables with a very versatile capable vape, high-powered full convection is of course going to be different than the weaker session hybrid conduction... They both use glass stem chamber and pathway though which is nice and have replaceable batteries too (okay in theory pure convection on demand might not be as seemingly precise as session hybrid conduction but I think that is mostly perception anyway and then neither are truly precise as it depends on the users among other variables since convection could be considered more manual and conduction more automatic, in some sense at least!)

It's kind of funny people are surprised that two vapes made by two completely different companies using different technology would function differently, but they do.

It's kind of funny we people turned this into "mine is better than yours" when it's supposed to be about the future of vapes (especially when arizer is still using their same decades old technology hehe) but to each their own of course, opinions ≠ wrong

I have butane vapes that hit a lot harder than a TM but I still go back to the Air Max regularly, in large part because of how well it handles temp stepping.

Okay however temp stepping with the TM is incredible actually... I start as low as possible, take a hit through GVB stem hook, turn the dial up a tiny bit, for another hit, and repeat until I am around level five or six, after several hits it is a wonderful experience milking great flavor and visible vapor with full spectrum effects in my experience...

Butane vapes can hit harder than a lot of things but they are really tedious to use and I never want to use them anymore almost ever, even though I will be routinely dabbing on occasion with torch now... I'll use tetra and bak a lot at home over TM, but not the same way, TM is my temp stepper and my main portable for top tier experience with minimal sacrifice or compromise for me personally, which is why I keep using the word versatile which I used to use back in the old RBT beta testing days of Zion and Milaana, which had me never looking back at Arizer and their shortcomings comparatively, today I don't see much improvement with their session style remaining prominent essentially the same tech to extract, TM has become my ultimate best of all worlds...

Toad is pretty amazing form factor and experience with the unregulated being part of what keeps me from it more, tafee bowle has a lot of benefits in its design though it could do much better, tokedvapors was working with some good ideas and still seems to be chugging along...? GH might have been something if they didn't get stuck on their altered initial pen designs failing imo Most people still just go to pax and S&B (who have new stuff coming apparently although I am not expecting much that will impress or interest me...) It's actually quite a vast market despite always fluctuating!

Last edited:

Farid

Someone’s gonna figure out how to produce the flavor, purity, and performance of cottage vapes like the TM/Toad at scale. China vapes are getting iteratively closer but still have a ways to go.

Ultimately, profitable = probable.

The tough thing is that much of what makes these vapes taste great is what makes them difficult to succeed in the mass market: on demand convection.

It takes an element of skill that we all take for granted: knowing how fast to draw, and how to feather the button to control the temperature. Mess it up and you can combust.

For us that's not a big deal, we know how to do a deep clean, and we learn. But for average users who don't read threads online and communicate with other users - they assume the product is bunk if they combust.

I think a temperature indicator could help this. Imagine a digital readout that gave the temperature of the actual herb during a draw, and would fluctuate depending on how you fast or slow you inhaled.

Shit Snacks

Actually think they're more likely to get an unsatisfactory hit than combust since there are pretty well regulated convection units

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Farid

Something else to consider is maybe the future of dry herb vapes IS through a small, but dedicated niche market.

I've seen so many friends who were at one point into dry herb vapes, give up flower completely in favor of carts. I don't envision them changing their minds. When they want flower they just go back to smoking.

Ball vapes are an interesting example. They're ultimately serving the niche market, but still represent a design trend that has fundamentally changed the industry. The TM is another - it's been wildly successful within the niche market, but hasn't broken through into the mainstream.

I think the days of products like the MFLB somehow breaking out of the niche market and into the mainstream are over. Something like a PAX or Dynavap will still be able to have a foot in both worlds, but who knows how long that will last.

Go talk to any headshop owner about vapes, and chances are they will tell you that the majority of their "vape" related sales are batteries for 510 carts.

In some ways I can see this being the rare opportunity for desktops to finally have their time in the spotlight. With carts always beating portables in terms of battery life and ease of concealment and use, maybe the days of mainstream portables is coming to an end. I can see people who do still enjoy flower doing so at home with a desktop vape, and using carts the rest of the time.

Top Bottom