Fuck Combustion...for cigarette smokers

doubledown

A lot of us are here because we want to do the things we love but are more health conscience about it. Well, up until 4 months ago I was smoking a pack of cigs a day. Then I found a forum, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com. It is the electronic cigarette forum. There is TONS of info over there. And e-cig vaporizers are as fun and various as the ones here on FC. When I got my first device, I charged the battery, smoked my last cigarette, and quit cigarettes forever with my first try. It was even EASY.
Now there are lots of super cheap versions that look like cigarettes but they are mostly junk. Batteries don't last long and they can be kind of messy. I wound up going with a "bottom fed mod". For an example, go to http://www.reosmods.com/ . This is what I ended up with (two actually, they are sweet). The bottle of juice lasts me two days at about $1 a day. The battery will last almost two full days.
Now I know this almost sounds like a shill, but I just love living smoke free and want to share it because I still get all the nicotine I want but don't stink and I FEEL so much better! If you want to quit smoking all the tar and carcinogens but don't want to quit nicotine check out the forum and pick any device you want from any supplier. Just watch out for the cheap junk as it will give you a bad impression.
These days I vape all day. I never missed smoking cigarettes at all. I can vape in bars around here and have yet to have anyone ask me to stop. There is almost no smell and I have found some juices I really love.
Good luck to anyone out there trying to quit, and if you just want to enjoy your vice in a healthier manner please give the forum a try. :peace:

doubledown,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Hey fellow ECF'r....

I'm a member there since mid '08 but I'm "one of THOSE" that was never able to pull the plug entirely on the stinkies although I currently bounce up and down under a pack /day as opposed to my near 3 pks/day..... so the experience "has" been positive TO ME.

So many have managed to just drop cigarettes all together on their first try that its slightly discouraging at times to read of all the successes..... but I'm happy for those that have managed to beat it, and hopeful someday I'll experience the same should I ever find that nirvana DIY juice !

I just want to mention to anyone going to the linked site to make sure you never mention or discuss ANY drug use (legal or borderline) as they're pretty strict about it not being talked about in an effort to discourage any association with drugs to support their "cause" while being under the watchful eye of regulatory agencies looking to shut down the Personal Vapourizer or Electronic Cigarette new industry "for our health" which translates into: "for THEIR pocketbooks" thru tobacco taxes and big pharma industry products.

Congrats on making a choice that works for you doubledown (and any others), and I'm adamant that ANY cigarette avoided is positive thing which deserves praise.

VapeOn,
smokum

smokum,

doubledown

^^^
Thanks smokum! And great point about substances mentioned over there ;) Hope you find something you like and are able to go to vaping only if that is what you want. You may have already tried it but I settled on Tasty Vaper's Geoff's Blend and never looked back. I know what you mean though. I tried lots of juices from all the "best" blenders and most of them were terrible, some of them were pretty good, and a few of them were awesome. Thought all I wanted was a marlboro light substitute but found I don't like most of the cig flavors I tried. But I have found a few; GB mentioned above, Malty Toffee from Backwoods, Waffle w/ syrup and a few others that I love. And at 24mg nic they definitely put out the craving. As a certified sweet tooth I have also lost some weight getting my sweet fix from my nic instead :cool: Thanks for the added input and...Keep on Vaping (everything :D)

doubledown,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i bought one yesterday at a liquor store for $24.99, plus a bottle of e-liquid for $4.99

i'm learning how to take the hits to immitate certain parts of smoking and reduce the fog machine flavor

does anyone remember the plastic cigarettes in the 80's? there's a faint similarity to the e-liquid i got ("marldoro" from NLA)

http://www.archive.org/details/tobacco_itn23e00

VTS_01_1.gif

is the hotter vapor of the higher voltage ones "much more" like real cigarette smoke? (even though its just hotter propylene glycol...rofl...it's just soooo funnnnnny from one angle)

i'll keep using this instead of buying cigarettes, maybe get a different atomizer and a PT cable, to get hotter and still keep it cheap

VWFringe,

Nosferatu

I have a question I just never knew the answer too, is nicotine alone even bad for you? I think everyone knows smoking cigarettes are bad but is vaping them just better or not bad at all? I think of the combustion of marijuana really bad if done daily, but not the vaping of it at all. I'm not a cigarette smoker but went through a teenage phase of them and they are pretty satisfying. I believe all plants and natural herbs are for something, we all know what cannabis is for, so whats nicotine for? And is there not a single bad health factor to nicotine but whats in the rest of cigarretes and from combustion?

Nosferatu,

SmokingElectricity

I quit cigs december of 2009. [yes a year!!!] and have no desire to go back. I was already down to about 2 or 3 a day and then i got a bad cold. after the cold i just had no desire to pick it up again. i just became disgusted with the smell and taste. thats around the time i started getting into herbal vapes.

Cigs being 10-13 bucks a pack here is good motivation to not go back. :p

SmokingElectricity,

doubledown

Hey VW. I haven't tried any real high voltage devices (5v, 6v) though I do use the LR attys and get huge clouds of vaper from my device. As for the plasticky fog machine vaper taste, I've had some of those juices too :( Not good. All juices are not like that at all. When I'm out on the town, LOL, everyone always wants to try my REO. In the last few months, at least 10 people have bought one just from that. I use a delicious (to me) juice that seems to have a lot of appeal to just about everyone. It tastes like bananna nut bread with a dash of red hots candy. Produces lots of vaper using a 70PG/30VG blend. With the REO I just pop in a newly recharged battery and fill my juice bottle every two days and no mess. It just works :D Good luck with your new e-cig! I hear lots of people love the PT devices BTW. I had read several stories of people getting 7 or 8 "inexpensive" devices to go on and finally buy a good quality mod and find everything about it is better. I bought an Ego first and loved it but didn't want to have to carry juice with me all the time. Decided to put down $130 on a REO and that was all it took. Plus I'm down to $1 a day instead of $5. Paid for itself in no time.

doubledown,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Thanks for sharing the link, my Mom has finally quit smoking after 30 years and I have been trying to narrow down which e-cig to get her. It's been much more difficult than selecting my first vape, any suggestions from members here who use e-cigs?

AgentofChaos,

doubledown

SE, that is the best way to go! I had quit for years then went through a divorce and picked them up again. I really enjoy them but dislike the smell, tar, carcinogens, cost, etc. E-cigs gave me everything I want (nicotine, something to keep my hands busy, and a fun new hobby) but none of the bad. Works for some...
Masbanji92 I'm not an expert but nicotine is bad for you, just nowhere near as bad as all the products of smoking and all the chemicals and fillers the tobacco companies use. It is a stimulant and can slightly raise your heart rate. Other than that I don't know of any really "bad" effects of it. Saying that though, if I didn't smoke, I wouldn't start cigs or E-cigs. :2c:

doubledown,

doubledown

AOC, I would go ahead and get something reliable and easy like my REO. It adds so much enjoyment by just doing what it is supposed to do and doing it well. We have all bought vapes that we were less than satisfied with only to go back later and spend the same plus $30 or $50 more to buy the one we wanted in the first place but didn't want to cough up the dough for. Same with E-cigs. There are reasonably inexpensive solutions like the Ego that I got for $50, but since I bought my REO it has been in the box waiting to be used as a backup. So far it hasn't come out. Do some research in the ECF forum and as smokum said don't discuss weed there. There are lots of different categories there. "General E-Smoking Discussion" & "E Cigarette Suppliers Forum" are a good place to start for general knowledge and some really cool devices. For me the holy grail of this stuff is the bottom fed mods. Check out REO, Monkeyboxx, Kaji Ali'i. Their forum has a great search engine.

doubledown,

Pappy

shmaporist
I'm a three time loser but gave up tobacco for good in 1985. I used Silva Mind Control and will power to kick the habit. If you can go cold turkey 3 or 4 days you'll have it beat! Wishing you all well.

Pappy,

doubledown

Pappy, I've cold turkied before with success, and yes it sucked. I agree no smoking is best, but we all like our little vices :brow: I sincerely do think I could MUCH easier ween myself off the ecig or go cold turkey compared to regular cigs. If it becomes a hassle or I stop enjoying it I'll be done. There is no more going back to cigs for me.

doubledown,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Another ECF'er here ;)

I actually found ecigs first and quit smoking tobacco. Then I ended up here ;) and I'm never leaving ROFL!

I'm so over combustion I don't even light my candles anymore...I use a $5 candle warmer :D

Fuck Combustion!! I quit cigs in June 2009 and quit combustion completely by August 09 I believe. I've tried almost every mod that comes out in ecigland as well and even have a juice flavor named after me :ninja:

There are a few threads here regarding ecigs and whenever a smoker comes along asking... We always send them to ECF. I love to see more people give up combustion. My doctor approves. Congrats and keep it up!!!

Lo,

frogbmth

masbanji92 said:
I have a question I just never knew the answer too, is nicotine alone even bad for you?

Well yes and no. It is bad for you, as can be said of many things. However in medical terms it will just up year heart rate, constrict your blood vessels and too much can make you pass out. Of all the things in cigarettes, nicotine is one of the least damaging to your health. It has never been shown to cause cancer or COPD but a few studies does show that it promotes growth of tumours already there.

In fact, contrary to what many sources will say, nicotine alone is not even that addictive. Cigarettes have amonia in them (like crack) to make it super potent, and it is only with a suite of other compounds such as the MAOIs and the Carbon Monoxide that it really gets a grip on you. This is why NRT and eCig users still go through a mild withdrawl. Often they hit a wall at 6 weeks when the MAOIs leave your system.

The most damaging things in cigarettes are Tar, Carbon Monoxids and Tobacco Specific Nitrosomines (the latter is what is linked to cancer)

Quitting cold turkey has been proven to be more likely to result in long terms success that all NRT methods put together. Big pharma quote all sorts of success rates to peddle their gear but all are short term success rates. The 6+ month success rate is the most improtant, for the patch there is a 98.3% failure rate by 6 months according to the British Medical Journal. I don't personally see the point in prolonging the withdrawl to the pint that your motivation has given in, either substitute with a safer alternative or cold turkey it.

eCigs seem to work for many people (including me) but not for everybody. Now that the FDA lost the court battle to regulate them as drugs and were unable to demonstrate any likelihood of harm to the public, it is easier to recommend them. I have been using eCigs for over 2 years now and have tried a lot of different models. Without a doubt the best starter kit is the eGo / Riva / Tornado model sold by various companies.

A top tip from me is to get liquids at various strengths. A lot of ecig users find it hard to kick a few cigs a day, and a stronger liquid for those moments can help, like first thing in the morning and after meals. Also realize how you view cigs. If you see one as a treat, then it will be harder to kick them out of the door.

Another alternative is Swedish Snus (not American Dip) which is pasteurized and contains hardly any TSNAs. In europe they have had to remove the cancer warnings from snus packs as there is no evidence that it causes oral cancer, one study showing that pancreatic cancer levels are slightly increased. Also English Snuff has only ever caused one case of caner out of hundreds of years of use, and that was a farmer who was putting it in his ear where he developed cancer.

So, quit cold turkey if you can, but if you can't then use a harm reduction alternative like ecigs, Swedish Snus or English Snuff.

frogbmth,

doubledown

^^^ Thanks frogbmth! And Lo I did the same thing. Started with e-cig then tried a friends isolite. Liked the idea but not the device. Now I have an EQ (thinking about putting it up for trade for a SS) a MFLB, and looking at OCD and PD as my next :) I just love new things, especially when they make my fav pasttimes more healthy!

doubledown,

frogbmth

I'm on ECF too but aren't very active there anymore. Same screen name. Also I am on UKVapers and Vapers Forum.

Congats to all those who have quit and those working towards it. If anybody needs extra motivation watch this all the way through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgdMNOHRNFI

And read the stories here

http://whyquit.com/

I hate preachy ex smokers, and I hope I don't present myself as one. I broke free from the tobacco trap and I hope I can help a few others find a way out. As Shanburkholder says, if we could change one thing, we would have never started.

frogbmth,

OC513

Dabaholic
Also an ECF'er here.......
MJ vapes led me to e cigs and I havent had a real cig in 18 months after smoking pack + a day of MBoro Reds for 25 years. Changed my life. Amen.

OC513,

doubledown

Yeah! Glad to see so many ECFers here. Keep on vaping guys. Too many neat new mods coming out all the time over there. I have to keep my viewing down or my checkbook gets sad.

doubledown,

doubledown

Vicki, thats awesome. Ever snuck a puff or anything since you did? That's what got me back when I was going through my divorce and going out more with my friends. I'd have some drinks then bum a drag or two. After a few weeks I had a pack :( Glad to have that monkey off my back. I do think everyone should do what makes them happy but smoking cigs made me miserable...I just happened to love them. Glad I switched. No guilt for me with ecigs. I just view it differently. BTW, love your avitar, really pops off the grey background.

doubledown,
Nicotine might not be the worst thing in a cigarette, or even close to it. ]
But you can still make potent anti insect and anti fungal sprays out of little more than tobacco leaves, water and soap. See here, about 3/4 of the way down. http://www.comfycountrycreations.com/bugspray.htm

Apparently it was one of the top insecticides in the 1880's and is actually very safe, becoming nontoxic in a few hours, while also being harmless to several advantageous insect species.

charliedontsurf,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
doubledown said:
Vicki, thats awesome. Ever snuck a puff or anything since you did? That's what got me back when I was going through my divorce and going out more with my friends. I'd have some drinks then bum a drag or two. After a few weeks I had a pack

No, I am proud to say, I have not taken a puff since I quit. :D I knew a puff would be one puff too many for me, so I never took the risk. Now, I can smell cigarette smoke a mile away. :lol: Well, maybe not a mile away, but I catch the smell very quick.

doubledown said:
BTW, love your avitar, really pops off the grey background.

Thanks. I'm a cat person in real life. :p

Vicki,

Nycdeisel

there was a short while when I was much, much younger that I smoked cigarettes, but I quit that for the green, and just in time, too! Along with the fact that Im genetically predisposed to become hooked on em(both my parents smoked for a very long time and unfortunately my dad still does, and at least one of each of their parents had smoked for a while at some point).

I also can notice the smell from a great distance. I can even smell it on peoples hair, clothes and skin long after they had smoked. Im so glad I realized what I was doing while I still could.

My dad needs an Ecig :|

Nycdeisel,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Hey frog ole friend...... glad to see ya & always wanted to thank you for your vids on the Iolite back then on ECF, your vids and discussion were what guided me to buying one and giving up (except for those odd Afghani hash times) on combusting my meds. So again, I thank you !!

Great to see more ECF'rs here, and others who use an e-cig, and successfully at that. And, also great to hear of those "tough souls" who braved the cold turkey routine, I salute you on winning your battle !

There's hope for me yet, I just have to make the commitment and stop making excuses. Hopefully I will manage concur MY battle sooner than later <--- ya, weak huh ? lol... But, I am very thankful of finding these wonderful devices and am grateful for the harm reduction that I have achieved (hell, near 3 pks/day to under 1 pk/day is HUGE to me).

My only heart felt advice to anyone considering a personal vaporizer (e-cig), is to PLEASE do your 'own' research (there are many helpful dedicated forums out there), so you don't get caught up and possibly end up discouraged by mistakenly making a purchase from the many rip off'y vendors that are out there overcharging for substandard equipment, and the scam type vendors that secretly auto charge you for replacement consumables that are also overpriced on top of their base kit products.

Peace & Good Wishes.......

VapeOn,
smokum

smokum,
Top Bottom