from pen to bong...not great..

trichurious

content might be better off in another category, plz move to most appropriate area if so :)

So after faffing about with a Grizzly dab pen for a few months using wax and terspolate etc, I'd gotten annoyed with only the first hit being tasty, and the following 10 hits which all still produce vapor tasting shite. I read around that bongs and bangers are far better for taste, smoothness and so on, so got a small one with quartz banger and tried hash, weed (in the usual bowl) and dabs with some crumble in the banger.

1. First of all, I didn't find going through water made any of it any easier on the throat really at all. I dunno maybe I should try water out the fridge or something?

Secondly, I didn't wanna heat too much as to go beyond proper "vape" temperature, so I heated a fair bit, let cool about 10 seconds if that, and when dropping a small bit of crumble, it only produced visible vape when applying the bubble cap, not alot of it, and left a fair pool in the bottom. Thereafter, every new drop of crumble actually tasted just like afterburn, maybe cuz there's still old stuff left in the banger? Is this why people often clean the banger with cotton bud and alcohol on every single melt? It seems doing that wastes a fair bit of oil though, which you would later maybe reclaim?

2. Would it be best to say that if u do low temps then clean it as u go, but if doing high temps isn't necessary as high temp will still give a decent taste?

I tried later much hotter and it seems it leaves alot less oil and also the fresher taste started to come back BUT this is obviously too hot for the lungs, health wise I'd say.

Being a noob, I've also noticed the whole thing getting oiled up pretty darn quick, I just wonder what happens to that build up in the lungs, does the body dissolve it or is it a health hazard? Obviousy ingesting oil through the stomach is meant to be healthy, and there's a whole bunch of stuff about water soluble oils/sprays being made now, which they claim the body can absorb a whole lot better.

3. I'm not sure how that works but it just leaves me thinking even at a lowish vape temp, the lungs are still gathering oil perhaps? I'm defo producing alot more phlegm than usual and coughing for a day+ afterwards.

trichurious,

asdf420

Maybe some sort of reclaim catcher would help
I'd play around with the water. Distilled, warm, cold, ice.. lukewarm water seemed to work best for me, but with a herb vape. Does your piece have a bunch of fancy percolators or is it just a diffused downstem?

To avoid waxy stuff, shatter or honey oil might be better than crumble

You could get inserts. The heat doesn't hit the concentrate all at once, but the insert semi-slowly heats up. This gives a much smoother hit.

The banger/insert should have no burnt residue

Some here have said that combusting changes the tissue, making it so vapor makes you cough more. and that it takes a lot of time to get used to it, so your tissue heals... no idea why

Last edited:
asdf420,

mc

you should be using enough for one to 2 hits per session and then Q-tipping out the bowl after. Anything left after a few good hits is nothing you want anyway.

with your torch, bring it up to a temp where it just melts on it's own, and when you carb it, the vapor is produced, but it should produce a fair amount. If you are using a quartz banger and torch, then heat it for like 1-1.5 min or until it's red hot. Then let it cool for about 1 min - 1 min 20 sec. Drop it in, carb/cap it and inhale. Plug and unplug the carb cap often to get the vapor really going. You should be able to clear the oil without re heating it but I have re-heated mine with oil in it in the past with no issues. Just torch it a bit and hit again.

And Depending on what you are vaping, there will be very small amount of lipids going into you, a lot of what's left int he bowl after is the extra stuff like fats/lipids and spent cannabinoids.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Low temp produces less reclaim, I think it's the same for your lungs. When I started dabbing a few years ago the best way to consume was still a red hot torched quartz nail and a few vape pens with too high t° and my bubblers was full of reclaims after a few dabs. Now my bubbler get gunked enough to be cleaned (I'm not ocd) after +40 dabs.

And low temp dabs are so smooth and tasty on comparison with a uncontrolled torched nail dabs... harsh and taste very bad.

PPN,

trichurious

I kept reading that a rig and banger is far better than a pen. But ya know so far I'm not that convinced. With just a crumb in my pen, I can puff on it for a good few puffs, the first one is obviously the tastiest, the flavour goes away pretty quickly after that, but is still present to a small degree. The first hit on this wax I have in my pen tastes as close to beautiful hash as you'll get from any wax at all. But I cannot replicate that flavour whatsoever at any temp from the banger, and I also put it in twice as much, and it's gone instantly. There seems quite an art to this dabbing business, I'm cue tipping any pooling left as well, tried at like 380f, 450f, 500f, 600f, and the flavour from each one seems totally random whether it'll taste nice or hardly anything. Maybe it's the wax but the pen is consistent every time.

trichurious,

howie105

So after faffing about with a Grizzly dab pen for a few months using wax and terspolate etc, I'd gotten annoyed with only the first hit being tasty, and the following 10 hits which all still produce vapor tasting shite.

There is a limit to what water can do for a hit, if it tastes bad coming out of the vape (opposed to it being harsh) water won't change that.

howie105,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I kept reading that a rig and banger is far better than a pen. But ya know so far I'm not that convinced. With just a crumb in my pen, I can puff on it for a good few puffs, the first one is obviously the tastiest, the flavour goes away pretty quickly after that, but is still present to a small degree. The first hit on this wax I have in my pen tastes as close to beautiful hash as you'll get from any wax at all. But I cannot replicate that flavour whatsoever at any temp from the banger, and I also put it in twice as much, and it's gone instantly. There seems quite an art to this dabbing business, I'm cue tipping any pooling left as well, tried at like 380f, 450f, 500f, 600f, and the flavour from each one seems totally random whether it'll taste nice or hardly anything. Maybe it's the wax but the pen is consistent every time.

It's hard to get truly consistent results with a torch, e-nail is where it's at. Nothing wrong with a good pen either when paired with a temperature controlled box mod.

Hd1cZ7E.jpg

If you're gonna do torched dabs an insert for uptemp drops is the way to go for smoothness and flavor.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
probably but I am using a temp gun so, I know the numbers etc.

That's why your sessions are so inconsistent, infrared thermometers don't produce accurate information from quartz very well. You want to use a thermocouple probe for accurate surface temp readings.

Even if you know the temperature you still have to dab much hotter since the nail is always cooling down. It's a completely different experience from being plugged in. The best torch dab is with an insert.

daoist

Hash is very tasty, and keeps the flavour very long. I am not familiar with other concentrates because i don't think they sell that here in Holland. But i know the temperature should be really high for wax etc...
much higher than for flower. With hash i use 230 celsius. but it depends on the quality of the hash.

daoist,
Top Bottom