Freshest Weed Possible Best For Vaping?

kratomist

I got some weed yesterday that was extremely dry. I packed a bowl into my vapor genie. I checked the bowl after a couple tokes because it started tasting burnt,and sure enough it was nearly half black already. Anyhow I have read around the forums that some people like to dry their weed out before vaping. Of course this experience would make me wonder why they would do that. Anyhow I know I will be especially careful from now on not to buy extremely dry weed. Weed that looks a bit dry can be not too bad of a deal,since it will be less dense and so at least l get more for my buck . However there is a point at which the weed is so dry like this stuff I had that ,you would have to get about four times as much of good fresh weed if you are only getting one clean hit per bowl.

kratomist,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Try a lower temp with your dry herb, this is the reason your probably scorched the stuff. Dry herb breaks up to a finer powder, and increases surface area for more complete vaporization. But you are correct in not wanting something completely bone dry that turns to dust.

IAmKrazy2,

george

Dry bud works really well in the MFLB. I'm sure it's different in the VaporGenie, since they are two very different vapes.

george,

kratomist

Dry bud works really well in the MFLB. I'm sure it's different in the VaporGenie, since they are two very different vapes.

Yes perhaps. I had a MFLB for one day only a couple weeks ago,but I pressed down on the screen because I was curious to see how strong it was and I found out when it ripped completely . I emailed them, they asked for pics of the damage,and the #s on the back ,and now a replacement is on its way I have been told. I would suspect that the heat from the flame in the vapor genie may be greater than the heat provided by the battery powered MFLB. I personally would see this as a flaw of the MFLB since the object of a vaporizer is to vaporize as much moisture from the herb as possible as quickly as possible for maximum vapor density. I already think I will be using my Genie much more than my next MFLB not only for this reason,but also because it also reminds me of a pipe which I am very accustomed to using. I think it is also more stylish since it looks alot like a tobbaco pipe,which many people might think looks sophisticated. I may keep the MFLB for when I need to use it somwhere like a movie theater or perhaps waiting for a bus,which I still may have to do with my back turned if there are cars going by. If they do happen to see me holding something that small in my mouth,they may think its just a pen ,or I am about to light a smoke.

Try a lower temp with your dry herb, this is the reason your probably scorched the stuff. Dry herb breaks up to a finer powder, and increases surface area for more complete vaporization. But you are correct in not wanting something completely bone dry that turns to dust

Im not sure how I would provide a lower temp with the Genie since I think all flames are about the same heat except maybe torch lighter flames . I find I dont need to break up the weed too much really,and I have no problem getting really great hits in about 10 secs.

kratomist,

kratomist

I just want to point out this is the first place I have used the name Kratomist. I am really quite stoked about the name to be honest since I plan to use it on other sites as well . If you dont know much about Kratom you should just google it . There is so much I could say about it,but for now I will just say that its totally legal in most places,and it is something which I and many others are coming to like as much as weed. For me that is really saying something,since I have been very much a daily smoker for 30+ years.
One rather amazing thing I noticed about the word kratomist is that it is made up of one word inside another . If you take out the word atom in the middle ,then Krist is what remains. Two very powerful words for sure. Maybe I will start my own religion one day,with kratom being the church sacrament . Of course I would allow vaporizers to be used in this church,and would try to get our favorite herb deemed another sacrament as well!

kratomist,

max

Out to lunch
kratomist said:
I would suspect that the heat from the flame in the vapor genie may be greater than the heat provided by the battery powered MFLB.
The amount of heat (temp) provided for both vapes is determined by the user. Flame application time for the Genie and battery connection time for the LB.

Im not sure how I would provide a lower temp with the Genie since I think all flames are about the same heat except maybe torch lighter flames .
Less application time or more distance from the bowl-both would provide a lower temp. A torch is 300-400 degrees hotter than a regular lighter flame.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
kratomist said:
I personally would see this as a flaw of the MFLB since the object of a vaporizer is to vaporize as much moisture from the herb as possible as quickly as possible for maximum vapor density.

This is a personal objective, not the general objective of a vaporizer. I and many others go to great lengths to avoid vaporizing too quickly or at maximum density. Those are characteristics of high temperature vaping, which many people do seek out. I don't, because I find hot thick vapor is harsh and likely to cause coughing, which means I'd just be expelling all that dense vapor.

As for your original problem, I think IAmKrazy2 is correct. The blackening is not because the material was too dry, it's black because it was overheated. I bought dried weed a couple of times and loved it because it didn't have to be ground, just crumbled. It worked really well in the LB.

pakalolo,
You generally want your material to be bone dry, so that it crumbles in your hand. Start with lower temp as others have suggested. Moister material often needs to burn off some moisture before the main event so higher temps are necessary, and a second partaking may seem tastier/denser than the first since the moisture is done boiling off.

charliedontsurf,

kratomist

The amount of heat (temp) provided for both vapes is determined by the user. Flame application time for the Genie and battery connection time for the LB

I realize this but there ceratinly must be a max temp that can be reached with both the LB and the Genie,at which point more time applying battery or flame doesnt make any difference. My guess is that the max temp for the genie would be higher than that of the LB.

Less application time or more distance from the bowl-both would provide a lower temp

I have tried keeping the flame away a bit further letting just the tip go inside the bowl,and this seems to work well. I was using weed that was dry but not so extremely dry as the weed I mentioned in my first post however. I just picked up a 1/4 oz of weed last night though from the same guy that does seem to be extremely dry again. I bought it in a parking lot,so I didnt get a chance to look at it very good,but it didnt think it would be overly dry since the last stuff I got from him wasnt. Anyhow Ive only done a couple bowls with it so far and I am getting at least 3 hits per bowl,but I know I have done better than that with fresher weed . Anyhow I definitely will know what the truth of the matter is in a few days because I will be sure to buy some fresher weed again from someone else to compare this with.

kratomist,

max

Out to lunch
My guess is that the max temp for the genie would be higher than that of the LB.
I'm not sure that's an issue, since both vapes can overcook a bowl. Flame application time, along with draw speed, is mostly what determines the temp with the Genie, and since moisture content of the herb is another variable, that also has to be taken into consideration. I don't think avoiding dry herb is necessarily the best answer. It can be tough to try and maintain a consistent moisture content from one batch to the next, so there's always going to be an adjustment necessary, to some degree. And even with a good moisture content, once you hit the bowl, all or some of your herb is going to be dry, which will affect your next hit. IMO it's just another aspect of the learning curve with vaporizing, and something you need to get used to dealing with.

max,

kratomist

IMO it's just another aspect of the learning curve with vaporizing, and something you need to get used to dealing with

Ive just done a couple more bowls of my very dry weed since my last post. I am definitely getting better at not burning this kind of stuff anyhow. Definitely helps to keep the lighter at just the right distance. I let the tip of the flame just barely enter the top of the bowl now. Now I get no more black spots at all in my leftovers,and I am confident that the weed is spent. I got about 4 or 5 good hits from these last 2 bowls so things are looking better that way too. I still think I would get at least a few more hits with fresher weed and am looking forward to doing this comparison soon. It really amazes me that I could even get 4 good hits of thick vapor with weed that is so dry though,since I thought that much vapor would need some moisture.

kratomist,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You are using moisture to refer to water. You don't want water in your biomass because when it is driven off it is diluting that thick vapour you mention, not to mention it consumes extra energy. When you use dry weed the vapour consists of just the nice components you want, and is not literally watered down.

pakalolo,

kratomist

holy #@#%! I packed the bowl a bit more last time,and mixed it up a few times between tokes. this time I got 8 good hits and Im high as $#*&! I can now see that I really should be able to stretch out my weed like Ive heard others are doing with their vape. Its great that I can buy totally dry weed for vaping since it is definitely cheaper to do so. This is totally awesome. Im glad I started this thread,since Ive got some very helpful feedback on this topic.

kratomist,
Top Bottom