Fooootball, Soccer, whatever........

bcleez

This final was pretty ugly and brought some of the poor ref spotlight back into the game... Especially when Puyol grabbed Robben on his breakaway ( the one time Robben doesn't dive ). That should have been at least a yellow if not a straight red, later in the game De Jong was booked for the same thing. Dutch did some dirty stuff, but Spain also did and tend to dive a little more. Ugly game, I don't mind Spain winning, but I hate how the commentators say... well they played beautiful so it's okay. Well under that logic Brazil should win every time, but the Dutch did what European teams do to South American teams... piss them off so they self destruct, then get some ugly goals.

bcleez,

Purple-Days

Was rooting for Orange to win it all, but Red's win might mean more to a country that is pretty divided from what I hear.

Referee calls are part of many games. A perfect game (US baseball pitching term) was just nullified by a bad call, replays may be a good idea for all sporting officials. maybe even a 'Replay Ref." his only job is to review replays (in major events) and watch for missed or miss-called events. ??? :2c:

Purple-Days,

bcleez

I agree. Soccer is so difficult though. If they did something like the NFL where you could challenge 1 play with a red flag and the ref had like 90 seconds to review & goals were reviewed by the replay ref up in a box so it would be almost instant...

The real difficulty is the diving & fouling, especially when the ref has his back turned or does not see who instigated.

Oh well 4 more years to Brazil, and a few more months until College Football & NFL.

bcleez,

lwien

I'm fucked for football. Since it's been ages since LA has had a professional team, I've been throwing all my football passion towards SC, and now their season is totally fucked up. Bahhh......

lwien,

bcleez

UConn & Patriots here.

UConn is up and coming and the Patriots have given me more than I could ever expect in my life. I don't care if they lose for the next 100 years, the last 10 have been awesome. Especially after how they sucked for SO long... If in the 90's or 80's anyone said the Pats would win 1 super bowl you would have been laughed at.

Now I just like to root against Peyton Manning.

bcleez,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
chucku said:
wilf789 - What matters more? England vs Italy (world cup) or Chelsea vs AC Milan (champions cup, club play)? Where is competition the fiercest, the caliber of play higher? Between all star teams with limited preparation that play each other every few years or long standing rivals who not only have thoroughly scouted the opposition but also have a wealth of experience against their regular opponents.
Well it depends. People who go to watch their club team play every week, with season tickets and travelling to away games all over the country, may well say that they'd rather their club won the Champions League than England win the World Cup. When you see the same players and fans week-in-week-out for a whole season, you have a lot more invested in them.

All those club fans clearly love football so much that they'll be just as devoted to England, but in a slightly different way. It's nice actually that fierce season-rival fans can become one under the national team.

The calibre is probably higher in the club teams. E.g. if Barcelona or Man United played Spain or England, the formers would be favourite to win. Playing with the same people every day is clearly much more beneficial than playing a few times a year, and then only proper games every 2 or 4 years.

On another note, just got back watching the game in Amstedam. We were in Museum Square, which had approximately 150,000 people there, probably the biggest crowd I've ever been in, and the atmosphere was absolutely incredible. Obviously after they lost it was heart-breaking, especially with that many people there. Being English we expected riots and fights to kick off, but nothing happened as far as I'm aware. It's not like Amsterdam doesn't have adequate facilities in which to drown your sorrows!

wilf789,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Oh i forgot to mention, i watched a few games of this years world cup in 3D. It was pretty goddamn sweet. Anyone else have a chance to see any 3D football?

steiner666,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Haha that is jokes! Slightly wish he had screwed it up though, would have been twice as funny and he would have looked like a massive twat.

wilf789,

chucku

Charles Urbane
How embarrassing for the goalie. It would have geen worth a red card to kick the crap out of the shooter.

chucku,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Seriously. My Mum could choose a better squad for England.

Rooney... captain!!!?! WTF

It must be a fix as he has done nothing all season.

No Milner, Drinkwater or Townsend (the three most in form players atm) and only one solid defender in Simpson.

We're fucked and I expect team England to conced more goals than any previous tournament.

I hope Northern Ireland do well and I guess I'll be supporting them.

h3rbalist,
Top Bottom