Fooootball, Soccer, whatever........

flanman

lwien said:
I love hockey, but it's such a fast moving game, that the only way to really appreciate it is to see a game..........live. Gotta be there. I just find it amazing what these guys can do on skates. Such a frustrating and exciting game and lets not talk about all the fine young ladies who go to hockey games. Been to a ton of sporting events, but hockey is one of the most exciting.
couldn't agree more. my buddy had me go to a local ahl game a couple years back and i've been enjoying it since

flanman,

lwien

flanman said:
lwien said:
I love hockey, but it's such a fast moving game, that the only way to really appreciate it is to see a game..........live. Gotta be there. I just find it amazing what these guys can do on skates. Such a frustrating and exciting game and lets not talk about all the fine young ladies who go to hockey games. Been to a ton of sporting events, but hockey is one of the most exciting.
couldn't agree more. my buddy had me go to a local ahl game a couple years back and i've been enjoying it since
Yup. I can totally enjoy soccer, football, baseball and basketball on TV, but with hockey, ya just gotta be there to really enjoy it. It's just too fast of a game to effectively capture it on TV.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Greatest sporting event in the world is the Stanley cup playoffs. No ties, no shootouts. Overtime is end to end action, goalies standing on their head, sudden death 20 minute periods until one team scores.

Nobody are tougher than hockey players. Duncan Keith took a puck in the face, lost seven teeth and missed only one shift.

chucku,

bcleez

Chucku, MMA fighters are tougher than hockey players. Rich Franklin broke his arm in a fight, kept fighting and knocked out Chuck Liddell, and punched him with his majorly broken arm...

Greatest sporting event in the WORLD is the world cup. Billions of people agree.

Hockey players might be the dumbest though, I read an article about how stupid it is for these players to lose teeth and keep playing or spit them out. Here it is http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/a-sport-with-teeth/article1569872/ it is a great read.

Its fine that you like hockey, sure I can enjoy a game once every 10 years, but don't be delusional about it.

bcleez,

lwien

Too funny. Can't you guys acknowledge that all sports are great and that one is not inherently better than the other. They just have different facets that some enjoy watching and playing more than others. It sure as hell doesn't make one better than the other.

What's also kinda funny, bcleez, is that you call hockey players dumb and stupid because they continue to play after having their teeth knocked out, but yet you sing the praises of Rich Franklin who continued to fight with a broken arm. So in those terms, tell me why a hockey player is any dumber than an MMA fighter. At least in those sports, they don't fake injuries like they do in soccer. :rolleyes: (all said in sarcastic jest.......;) )

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Yeah, I guess but watching soccer requires a pot and a half of strong coffee and regular piss breaks (bcleez, I'm just busting your chops).

chucku,

lwien

Yup. European final. Should be good.

Of course, a South American final, like Brazil vs Argentina would have been good also.

I'm more into this World Cup than any of them before. :)

lwien,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Thanks for playing rest of the world, but us Europeans will take this one again ta! ;)

wilf789,

bcleez

MMA is pretty dumb too, I was just saying "Toughness" as Americans see it. I really don't like violence, sometimes I think I do, but in reality it makes me sick like alex in clockwork orange.

I just get super annoyed with the whole "i hate soccer movement" that has no merit other than stupidity. It is okay to not like it, but there is that whole larry the cable guy stupid i hate soccer for no reason and its funny movement that I really have beef with.

One thing that I do love is that there are no commercial breaks. I wish more sports did that. It is so unnatural and ruins the flow (when there are TV timeouts).

Not all sports are great!! Rhythmic gymnastics... I mean, come on!!!!

BTW you 2 totally know how to bust my chops... I was seething for a few minutes lol

bcleez,

tuttle

I think my biggest turnoff about soccer is the blatant diving and the subjectivity of the officiating. While I can certainly appreciate the disdain of violence, I think in the case of hockey the passion exhibited by a player's willingness to put his body on the line for the sake of the team is exemplary, and one of the reasons I love the sport so much.

An NHLer blocking a shot:
91504160.jpg

A footballer blocking a shot (hands over nuts, timid, scared):
102382465.jpg

The outcome of blocking a frozen piece of rubber traveling at over 105mph (which he missed one shift over):
Vancouver+Canucks+v+Los+Angeles+Kings+fAUVIBbnpL7l.jpg

The outcome of blocking a large ball moving at 60 - 70mph, a bad welt, perhaps? I can absolutely appreciate the athleticism of soccer, that is a large pitch that they are running around for an hour and a half. But the refusal to lay it all on the line for the sake of the game, and the constant attempts to draw penalties for me is off putting.

Say what you will abut the intelligence of your typical NHLer, but as a league off the ice they tend to be a fairly articulate bunch, and some of the nicest professional athletes I have encountered.

lwien said:
Yup. I can totally enjoy soccer, football, baseball and basketball on TV, but with hockey, ya just gotta be there to really enjoy it. It's just too fast of a game to effectively capture it on TV.
I think once you have been several times and you have a good understanding of the flow of the game, the televised game becomes much more intelligible, HD helps greatly as well. But I think you are right, in order to really appreciate the game of hockey, you need to attend at least one game, preferably with knowledgeable seatmates who can explain the various stoppages in play and penalties. Then you just can't get it out of your system ;)

tuttle,

lwien

bcleez said:
I just get super annoyed with the whole "i hate soccer movement" that has no merit other than stupidity.
Ya know, it seems that this is a very right wing attitude for some reason. It almost seems to stem from a bit of jealousy that there is something going on in the world that people are getting super excited about that isn't centric to the United States, and the reason I say right wing is that the only very public people that I have heard preaching that they hate soccer is Glen Beck and Hannity on Fox News and I have no doubt that they have a lot of followers who feel the same way. It's like, "Soccer is un-American. Too funny.

bcleez said:
One thing that I do love is that there are no commercial breaks. I wish more sports did that. It is so unnatural and ruins the flow (when there are TV timeouts).
I agree, but somebody needs to pay for the TV time.

bcleez said:
Not all sports are great!! Rhythmic gymnastics... I mean, come on!!!!
Love gymnastics though. On of my favorite Olympic summer game events. The sport that I just can't wrap my head around is Curling.

bcleez said:
BTW you 2 totally know how to bust my chops... I was seething for a few minutes lol
Glad you laughed about it. It was meant in jest.

lwien,

lwien

tuttle said:
I can absolutely appreciate the athleticism of soccer, that is a large pitch that they are running around for an hour and a half. But the refusal to lay it all on the line for the sake of the game...........
I don't know man. I've seen a lot of physical contact in soccer. And not only are they atheletic because they are running around so much, but what about the fantastic ball handling. They do with their feet what hockey players do with their stick. And the strategy that goes on as far as setting up plays and the fantastic passing that goes on. In many respects, soccer and hockey are very much alike.

lwien,

tuttle

lwien said:
I don't know man. I've seen a lot of physical contact in soccer.
There may be some physical contact, but I (big biased personal opinion coming up ;) ) just feel more often than not if an attacking player feels that he might be in close proximity to a defender's extended appendage, it is better to go down and try and get the penalty call rather then get back up and try to win back possession. The game would be greatly benefited by the addition of a diving call in my opinion.

lwien said:
And not only are they atheletic because they are running around so much, but what about the fantastic ball handling. They do with their feet what hockey players do with their stick. And the strategy that goes on as far as setting up plays and the fantastic passing that goes on. In many respects, soccer and hockey are very much alike.
Absolutely. I by no means meant to devalue their skill, both in ball handling (heh heh) and in game strategy. Soccer defense and skilled NHL defense is all about gap control and lane blocking, things which unless you have great mastery of the game are hard to predict and execute. I just enjoy that sometimes when it comes down to it, you can also hip check a man off the puck if you are good enough :)

tuttle,

lwien

tuttle said:
There may be some physical contact, but I (big biased personal opinion coming up ;) ) just feel more often than not if an attacking player feels that he might be in close proximity to a defender's extended appendage, it is better to go down and try and get the penalty call rather then get back up and try to win back possession. The game would be greatly benefited by the addition of a diving call in my opinion.
Yeah, the same shit goes on in basketball with the flopping, and to a certain extent in football. It's all about selling the play, but it does seem like in soccer, it is very much exaggerated. I don't remember which game of the World Cup I was watching, but the time was running down and the winning team was only up by one point, so to take the time off the clock, a player of the winning team pretended that he was hurt. They brought out the stretcher, they put him on it and as soon as they did, he sat up as they carried him off to the sidelines where he immediately got off the stretcher and stood up without any assistance whatsoever. That..........is just lame.

But what's also kind of lame is the fights in hockey. I mean, I know that fights will break out because it is such a physical game, but when they do, it seems that the refs just stand around and let it happen for a predetermined amount of time before they step in to break it up. Why not just step in immediately to break it up, like they do in any other sport? And the answer to that is typically, "well, fighting is just part of the game". I wonder how many less people would be into hockey if the refs didn't let the fights go on like they do?

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Iwein - Yeah, the same shit goes on in basketball with the flopping, and to a certain extent in football. It's all about selling the play, but it does seem like in soccer, it is very much exaggerated. I don't remember which game of the World Cup I was watching, but the time was running down and the winning team was only up by one point, so to take the time off the clock, a player of the opposing team pretended that he was hurt. They brought out the stretcher, they put him on it and as soon as they did, he sat up as they carried him off to the sidelines where he immediately got off the stretcher and stood up without any assistance whatsoever. That..........is just lame.

That was USA vs Ghana towards the end of overtime.

chucku,

steiner666

Serial vapist
So yeah, that germany/spain match wasn't so intense after all.

needless to say, i'm hoping netherlands takes it!

steiner666,

bcleez

Don't hockey players wear cups? Soccer players don't. The fastest a ball has been kicked is 110mph. I used to play soccer and when you put your head on a ball that is kicked really hard or really high... it gives you a semi concussion. Not to mention that ball will crush your balls.

Go to youtube and check out some soccer injuries, broken legs, ankles, arms, Petr Cech had his skull crushed...

I agree though, the Diving is just stupid, 50% of the time if they just tried to muscle through and take a shot they would have a great chance to score. That was the thing with USA soccer is that we don't dive, but after a few games, fuck it everyone else is doing it. The worst in soccer is the phantom hit, where they just fall down for no reason and since the ref doesn't see it gives a card.

Basketball is a total joke, travelling, and every shot is and one.

You are right with hockey, some teams carry guys just to fight. Look at the Marty McSorely & Brasher thing... just stupid.

bcleez,

tuttle

lwien said:
But what's also kind of lame is the fights in hockey. I mean, I know that fights will break out because it is such a physical game, but when they do, it seems that the refs just stand around and let it happen for a predetermined amount of time before they step in to break it up. Why not just step in immediately to break it up, like they do in any other sport? And the answer to that is typically, "well, fighting is just part of the game". I wonder how many less people would be into hockey if the refs didn't let the fights go on like they do?
Yeah, fighting in hockey is a strange thing. I think part of it stems from hockey's history of relying on self policing and the "let the boys play" mentality. What is interesting is that number of head and other cheap shots went up a bit after the instigator rule was put into place (now being addressed with actual rules ;) )

As for the refs not breaking up a fight in progress, I can understand that. If you are going to let them start, I wouldn't want to be the guy stepping between two 6'-4" 240lbs heavyweights trying to throw hay-makers, so the officials will let them either tie up or tire themselves out so fists aren't flying when they go in to separate. Now, that is not to say they couldn't easily stop it completely if they wanted to, just don't let them start and hand out heavy penalties (not 2 or 5 minutes). Football is very physical, and they don't have fights.

As for people liking the game less if you removed fighting, I think most casual fans very much enjoy the fights. Of the very dedicated fans I know, many of them feel that excessive fighting is a distraction. It used to be a lot worse. Personally I think they have found a pretty good balance in today's game.

Hockey is certainly not a perfect game, but boy do I enjoy the heck out of it :)

bcleez said:
You are right with hockey, some teams carry guys just to fight. Look at the Marty McSorely & Brasher thing... just stupid.
The idea of the dedicated enforcer who is just a big guy who can fight but can't really skate is waning. The league in my opinion has been doing a pretty good job of disincentivise the role of the goon.

tuttle,

chucku

Charles Urbane
There really is no room in todays NHL for enforcers whose sole purpose is to protect their teams stars. Yet the value of skilled, physical players such as Zdano Chara, Chris Pronger or Dustin Byfuglien can't be overestimated. So much of the game is clean, hard contact and clearing space or creating screens in front of the net that no matter how good your penalty killing is, employing thugs is very risky.

chucku,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
lwien said:
It almost seems to stem from a bit of jealousy that there is something going on in the world that people are getting super excited about that isn't centric to the United States, and the reason I say right wing is that the only very public people that I have heard preaching that they hate soccer is Glen Beck and Hannity on Fox News and I have no doubt that they have a lot of followers who feel the same way. It's like, "Soccer is un-American.
Yeah I hear football (soccer) is actually infiltrating America via a Kenyan communist who wants to force people to be healthy and enjoy world sports like the evil meglomaniac he is! Run for the hills!

tuttle said:
it is better to go down and try and get the penalty call rather then get back up and try to win back possession. The game would be greatly benefited by the addition of a diving call in my opinion.
There is, and has for as long as I can remember, a rule against diving. You get a yellow-card if the referee spots it. Trouble is for refs the game happens so fast, and is so much more stretched than most sports, that for him to keep up with everything and make every call spot on, is impossible. Football fans don't mind too much though, because bad calls happen to every team. The only one that gets people really pissed is the lack of goal-line tech.

Diving is the most reprehensible part of the game, especially for an Englishman who generally take pride in not doing anything of the sort in our style of play (although it has started to creep in somewhat.)

Totally agree with someone's earlier comment about lack of commercials too. The most annoying thing about American sports is the constant advertisements, I swear the last minute of basketball takes about an hour and a half!

This is what real football players are like, and I bet this man Terry Butcher or Stuart 'Pscyho' Pearce would give a hockey player a run for his money in a fight any day of the week. This is Terry after receiving a massive cut to the head early in an England game, stitched up and back on within 5 mins, whereupon he played the rest of the game losing shit loads of blood and in agony every time he headed it, but still defending our lines like the hero he was.

BloodyBattlers05_94x104.jpg

butcher-727744.jpg

Don't discount all footballers. Some lay it on the line as much as players in any sport, especially in international games too where it matters so much.

wilf789,

chucku

Charles Urbane
wilf789 - What matters more? England vs Italy (world cup) or Chelsea vs AC Milan (champions cup, club play)? Where is competition the fiercest, the caliber of play higher? Between all star teams with limited preparation that play each other every few years or long standing rivals who not only have thoroughly scouted the opposition but also have a wealth of experience against their regular opponents.

chucku,

bcleez

I don't want to answer for him but England vs Italy matters more. Imho

World Cup games are way more important than any league game. Not even measured the same way. People get killed for fucking up in the world cup - See Columbia own goal.

bcleez,

lwien

Final coming up in 2 hours. Should be good.

Watched Germany vs Uruguay last night. Germany plays this game like they build their cars. Very well engineered with precise handling and precise performance, refined, but lacking a bit in raw passion. Germany's ball handling and passing where both a thing to behold. Just amazing. I believe that they have scored more points in the Cup than any other team. Gratz to Germany for the Bronze.

lwien,
Top Bottom