Firewood Vaporizer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
PXL-20240128-213600834.jpg

Pretty impressed I must say, despite the quirks, which will take some adapting as expected, very well thought out design, and also quite well made, all the details really are pretty impressive! Vapor quality seems to make any of the compromises worthwhile with this first bowl of lemon jack only five hits in on the first temp setting...

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Welcome aboard, 'Snacks!

Glad you're finally getting to try the FW9 yourself. Looking forward to your further impressions.

I'm digging that large-handled implement in the foreground. Where's that from?

Shit Snacks

PXL-20240128-220821036.jpg

^after a couple more low temp hits and then a few more or so at middle temp (of course could have gone further but the flavor fully was gone at that point and wouldn't be pleasurable to me and I'm fortunate enough to be able to swap accordingly and already had nice effects for what was actually my weekend wake and bake session...) Stock settings 340 and 380 though I am going to lower them as I did with my FW7 for my long slow draw conduction favoring hit style here
PXL-20240128-221034289.jpg

^here you can see a little more clearly the extraction with it dumped out, compared to the fresh green, decent for that temp setting, I am happy so have to think about how I will want to customize the settings this time (again I love how easy it is to do that all with one button having a full temp range even though you have to limit to three presets)

Didn't really think about or look at the capsule chambers that closely before, now I can appreciate the shape how they slightly cone downwards a little narrower, will have to settle on how much is best to load for me since the top wasn't quite as extracted as the bottom of course, with my conduction bias hit style... Forgot I need to pick up those special reverse tweezers now! That old Amazon link was sold out so I'll find a new one hopefully just need one or two... Need to think about length for a custom mouthpiece and case etc, one thing at a time before I get full going lol

digging that large-handled implement in the foreground. Where's that from?

MistVape actually made it for me, one of his earlier tools, so it had a handmade stainless steel tip he did instead of one purchased and inserted, the body is a bit more custom-made too with the change in shape for the tamp, made for 14 mm male of his vapes, in special tulip wood (which matched the Essence vape I got from him at the time) ... Yeah it has turned out to be the ideal FW tool as I discovered with FW7 especially before I eventually got rogue scoops that had ideal tampers on the other end (not so ideal for FW9 though! These ceramic capsule chambers are a bit narrower than the old FW7 oven, so the tulip wood tool is back at it again) ... Anyway Dave might be able to offer these again soon I think he was trying to get up and running to make stuff again out here with a new shop he built (he is on IG now under another name that I cannot remember at this moment)

Baelle

Anyone know if a FW7 stem works (well) with the FW9? They have to be at least close, right?

Baelle,

Baelle

The standard one? Yeah it's the same thing just the adapter is fused as all one glass piece instead of needing any silicone

Yeah, the standard one. Main thing I was wondering was the diameter at the joint. I was bored and browsing around and found a FW7 stem that I liked. I like my Revolve gen 1 on it, but I kinda miss using it as my DV stem.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
PXL-20240128-213600834.jpg

Pretty impressed I must say, despite the quirks, which will take some adapting as expected, very well thought out design, and also quite well made, all the details really are pretty impressive! Vapor quality seems to make any of the compromises worthwhile with this first bowl of lemon jack only five hits in on the first temp setting...
Hey @Shit Snacks, congrats on the fw9
Just wondering what you're referring to when you mention quirks and compromises?

Shit Snacks

The standard one? Yeah it's the same thing just the adapter is fused as all one glass piece instead of needing any silicone
Yeah, the standard one. Main thing I was wondering was the diameter at the joint. I was bored and browsing around and found a FW7 stem that I liked. I like my Revolve gen 1 on it, but I kinda miss using it as my DV stem.

Apologies apparently I was incorrect, assumed they were the same, when in fact the FW7 had a narrower adapter tube I was told by GVB! Have to buy the FW9 adapter

Hey @Shit Snacks, congrats on the fw9
Just wondering what you're referring to when you mention quirks and compromises?

Oh I think they have been documented here already, most any vape has them too although different, it is a very interesting design... But as I said it is well thought out and well made, but it can be a bit involved?

The ceramic lid in my wood plug lid, is extremely loose wobbly, after the first use... Seems to be working fine in the second use, so not sure that is unusual or a problem? I did notice some of the other inner ceramic parts kind of wobble, rattle a little rather, when the unit is moved around...

Puddentain

Mine wobbled a little too. Believe it’s needed for tolerance/fit to the oven using the corkscrew closure.
I think you’re right. There’s a little “give” in my capsule plug as well. I thought it was a deliberate design choice vs fabricating a sandwich-type solution which would require adhesive of some sort. It screws down and seals very well.

Baelle

I think you’re right. There’s a little “give” in my capsule plug as well. I thought it was a deliberate design choice vs fabricating a sandwich-type solution which would require adhesive of some sort. It screws down and seals very well.
anyone have tips for cleaning that ceramic plate? a little warm iso on a qtip is how I've been kinda cleaning it, but I don't know that it's doing much

Baelle,

Shit Snacks

anyone have tips for cleaning that ceramic plate? a little warm iso on a qtip is how I've been kinda cleaning it, but I don't know that it's doing much

Should be fine, that area does not get as dirty, only a little potential vapor build up

364F

Hi guys! I had a FW 3 in 2016 (thought it was a 4 or 5 but just checked the emails with marc)

I have skimmed some of the thread, could someone that had a FW 3 and had tried a 9, tell me what would be different between both devices. If I remember correctly FW 3 was a convection device but now seems that Mark has moved more to a hybrid system. If this has been asked before or not the correct thread please let me know, thanks!

Last edited:
364F,
Reactions: Octavia

Shit Snacks

Hi guys! I had a FW 3 in 2016 (thought it was a 4 or 5 but just checked the emails with marc)

I have skimmed some of the thread, could someone that had a FW 3 and had tried a 9, tell me what would be different between both devices. If I remember correctly FW 3 was a convection device but now seems that Mark has moved more to a hybrid system. If this has been asked before or not the correct thread please let me know, thanks!

Yeah it is way different now, FW3 used those tiny little glass capsules? There was a big change with the FW4, then 5, again with 6, before FW7 which 8 and nine are both based on... Yes you see now it is more hybrid, FW7 had primary conduction on demand, 8/9 have a bit more versatility with more airflow so you can get more convection, but you can still prioritize conduction as well... A huge difference is that you are now using ceramic chambers, and there is more of an oven heating them, instead of pulling heat convection style from metal coil through glass chambers... The form factor changed a bit too, it now lies down long, instead of standing upright tall, but you can use it in any orientation really with the tighter conduction packs when using the ceramic chamber capsules... Also allows for a nice right angle ceramic pathway below the oven, and easy connection for a glass stem mouthpiece pathway... The vapor it produces now really smacks in a special new way :tup:

364F

Yeah it is way different now, FW3 used those tiny little glass capsules? There was a big change with the FW4, then 5, again with 6, before FW7 which 8 and nine are both based on... Yes you see now it is more hybrid, FW7 had primary conduction on demand, 8/9 have a bit more versatility with more airflow so you can get more convection, but you can still prioritize conduction as well... A huge difference is that you are now using ceramic chambers, and there is more of an oven heating them, instead of pulling heat convection style from metal coil through glass chambers... The form factor changed a bit too, it now lies down long, instead of standing upright tall, but you can use it in any orientation really with the tighter conduction packs when using the ceramic chamber capsules... Also allows for a nice right angle ceramic pathway below the oven, and easy connection for a glass stem mouthpiece pathway... The vapor it produces now really smacks in a special new way :tup:
Thank you so much. I’ll probably wait til 420 to get one then. If I’m not mistaken you were able to choose different woods back then, but now is only walnut I see.

364F,

Shit Snacks

Thank you so much. I’ll probably wait til 420 to get one then. If I’m not mistaken you were able to choose different woods back then, but now is only walnut I see.

Yeah probably a safe bet, there are not always discount sales, but reasonable to at least wait and see... Either way a fair price even full I think for what you get... Yeah there have been a few exotics, mostly it's been walnut or cherry, cannot recall if he did maple back then? Anyway it might be possible if he has other wood in stock if you wanted to pay extra for one that was custom made... The wood around the heater in this version is actually cherry because it is believed to be a bit more neutral Marc told me, but I think it cost more than the walnut and might be a little more involved to work with (all the small parts done in batches)

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I’m most likely not the first but I managed to find a solution to stop the bb9 going all the way in when on a water piece by adding a stopper. It’s not pretty but jolly gesh it really works a treat.

I got it back from repair today. Totally different experience now it works correctly. Big, big fan of these.
Nice I use orings for the same effect, waiting on mines to be returned to me

Sour Dream,
Reactions: Octavia

johnnyCanuck

Coming up on two weeks since I had to pay to ship my device back. Zero emails/communication or responses to my email, idk what’s going on but I’m tired of this shit
Do you have tracking available? It took 3 weeks for the FW9 to get to me on the Canadian west coast, so it could still be in transit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

johnnyCanuck,
Reactions: Zagala

bobothevaper

Coming up on two weeks since I had to pay to ship my device back. Zero emails/communication or responses to my email, idk what’s going on but I’m tired of this shit
Pretty sure he’s just one man trying to make it all work. I waited a while too but it was repaired and returned eventually. Guess it’s part of the terms dealing with one man shops. It takes a bit of time. I know it sucks to wait but I’m sure he’s working as fast as he can.

364F

@Shit Snacks hi again, something that had me thinking the whole week is the conduction on demand aspect of the fw9. Is it something like the MFLB or the FV in that regard?

364F,

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Do you have tracking available? It took 3 weeks for the FW9 to get to me on the Canadian west coast, so it could still be in transit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pretty sure he’s just one man trying to make it all work. I waited a while too but it was repaired and returned eventually. Guess it’s part of the terms dealing with one man shops. It takes a bit of time. I know it sucks to wait but I’m sure he’s working as fast as he can.
nah i dont have any tracking or anything, havent heard anything back. Being a one man shop doesnt excuse having to send multiple emails and weeks to get a response. Im just asking for basic communication at this point

fangorn

nah i dont have any tracking or anything, havent heard anything back. Being a one man shop doesnt excuse having to send multiple emails and weeks to get a response. Im just asking for basic communication at this point

sorry for you my friend...

I'm trying not to be too negative on this thread but I was very disappointed with my last experience...
Marc's work may be incredible but I found it inexcusable that he didn't even press the fire button to check if my unit was working or not....
I had to pay - without being reimbursed - to return my unit...
I had to wait 6 weeks...

so I had my unit repaired... and sold it to someone who lives in a region where Marc does not deliver...

you have had problems with your unit from the start.... you are very persistent... you must really like its hybrid heating!!

Top Bottom