Firewood Vaporizer

BadDog No

So I've had a few days to figure out where "Woody" fits into my lineup and figured out a few likes and dislikes.
Like how convenient it is to change mouthpiece/capsules. Dislike actually loading them and God help you if a screen starts acting up and you have to change it.
Like how quick and powerful the heater is and how cool it is that inhaling turns the heat on. Dislike that you can't clear the heat by inhaling so a long pull through water WILL lead to combustion even on setting 2 or 3. It's not like you just lift your finger off a button and the heat turns off; you have to press and hold the button for 3 seconds, it does a battery test and then shuts off.
Like the black walnut, very classy. Dislike the finish of tung oil/limonene and carnuba wax. Anything that changes the flavor of my weed is a nono, but I'm sure it will fade with time.
Like the snap on/snap off wooden battery cover. Dislike how easy it would be to break by a minor misalignment. Luckily this is a known issue and Marc includes a warning sheet with a nice illustration. Once you realize the danger though it should never happen. Be a little careful of letting your friends play with it until you show them what's what though.

So overall me like, but we all have dreams of a do everything vape and while this will fill it's niche as a stealthy portable companion (already tried it on the train) it won't replace your other units for home use. Hope at least some of all that made sense....;)

ZC

Agree with BadDog in most points.

Except that the finish doesn't bother me. it has a faint smell to it but it's already fading, but it doesn't effect the taste of my herbs at all. as it shouldn't since there so finish in the heater cavity or inside the CU.

I'm finding the cooling unit to be incredibly effective at cooling the vapor.

The other problem I don't have is combustion. Even with an incredibly slow, long draw on 4 I've never combusted with it. Maybe it's because I don't back the capsules tightly? Either way, non issue for me. I'm finding the FW4 can't get to the near combustion Temps my unregulated vapes can get to.

I am clearing the excess heat after turning the unit off and getting a nice extra hit off of it. But as mentioned this isn't convenient to do with such a long time to shut off the heater.

Capsules are convenient when on the go, but slightly annoying to load and especially annoying to unload. maybe @Ratchett can make us some tools to help with that.

Despite being convection, I find myself using this as more of a session vape then an on demand unit.

Overall I'm really happy with it. it's filling a nice niche in my lineup, but it isn't replacing any of my favorites.

Last edited:

BadDog No

@ZC: Yep, we do have different opinions on the finish and the cooling unit but you're probably right about the combustion. The "load a capsule by sucking it up" never has worked for me; I always end up with some annoying dust coming through into my mouth. Probably a very loose or no pack wouldn't lead to combustion.
Of course I may have just torn a few chunks off a bud and stuffed it in...I forget. As always, instructions are best if both read and followed. :lol:

Gettinbetter

@ZC: Yep, we do have different opinions on the finish and the cooling unit but you're probably right about the combustion. The "load a capsule by sucking it up" never has worked for me; I always end up with some annoying dust coming through into my mouth. Probably a very loose or no pack wouldn't lead to combustion.
Of course I may have just torn a few chunks off a bud and stuffed it in...I forget. As always, instructions are best if both read and followed. :lol:
I typically pour some ground flower into my open hand and then scoop it with the capsule. When it is full it is still loosely packed. I don't jam it in there. Haven't had an issue with combustion on level 3 and long draws. I agree with the flavor thing though. It does come through and I'll be happier when it fades out I think. I don't recall the f3 lingering this long.

I wish I had different colored mouthpieces. I like to use at least two different types of flower regularly and sometimes can't remember which is which! Maybe I'll get different colored chapstick cases for them.

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
So after spending quite a bit of time with the Firewood 4, I've decided (as mentioned by others above) that it is a session vape. Yes, it heats up very fast and vapor comes quick, but I find that taking a capsule to completion (regardless of pack) takes somewhere in the realm of 4-5 minutes with aggressive temperature settings while on the go. Utilizing the vape outside in cold air adds more time to this.

One of the things that attracted me to the FW4 the most was that I anticipated being able to pull a satisfactory stone out of it with 1-2 big hits in 30 seconds or less while on the go or out and about. YMMV, but my experience shows that it really isn't capable of this and is better suited for puffing at low temps for 5-10 minutes for full extraction and tasty flavor.

Again, this is just my experience with the vape since I've had it over the past few weeks. I thought it would be my last portable, but I just bought a Grasshopper, as I believe it may be a better candidate for the scenario described above. Will report back.

BadDog No

@sk8man121 : You risk combustion, of course, but I've been able to get clouds and a big roaring rip snorting hit out of mine. Alas you have to ignore the instructions of course and pack the sh#t out of the capsules. Oh it doesn't have to be a lot of weed, just tightly packed to increase draw resistance and slow down the airflow. In fact because you'll probably char it a little very quickly, two or three hits worth is all you want. I actually prefer Milaana for the kind of quick buzz you want, but I'm pretty sure "Woody" can deliver what you want as well. If you don't want to pack your load, maybe adding some organic cotton or hemp fiber would do the trick as well. My 'hopper was due last week, no really, I got an address confirmation so I'll soon get to compare also. :)

EDIT: More scientific research has revealed that you're probably right. It's a lot of work to get clouds. Stealthy lower temperature terpene goodness is probably the Firewood's strength (which is enough to earn it a spot in my lineup).

Last edited:

Hagbard Celine

I know there has been a lot of battery discussion here lately. But not sure if seen anything this specific...

Does anyone know if the batteries that come with the Haze are good batteries for this unit as well?
How about the Haze battery charger? Is this okay as well?

Hagbard Celine,

ZC

Haze batteries aren't 20a continuous so would not be safe to use with the fw4.

Charger would likely be fine.

ZC,
Reactions: KeroZen

Hagbard Celine

Another quick question for those of you FW4 owners who know more about the various accessories:

Can you explain the difference between these items from the website: 3 Capsules with Walnut Holder for 22.95 vs. the 3 Mouthpieces with Walnut Holder for 42.95?

Hagbard Celine,
Reactions: BadDog No

BadDog No

Another quick question for those of you FW4 owners who know more about the various accessories:

Can you explain the difference between these items from the website: 3 Capsules with Walnut Holder for 22.95 vs. the 3 Mouthpieces with Walnut Holder for 42.95?

The website is very much a work in progress so I think maybe the wrong picture was used for the capsules.
Basically the capsule is inserted into the mouthpiece and butts against a second capsule that just has a screen in it that is permanently inserted into the mouthpiece. The vaping capsules are cheaper than both the capsule and mouthpiece so that explains the price difference but I don't recognize the black silicone sleeves in the capsule holder picture. Anyway it's marginally faster and easier to switch mouthpieces rather than bend the silicone, remove a spent capsule, and replace it. And of course the capsule is mighty hot when first removed as well.

Alegre

Pobre payaso
Not a FW4 but I just got this. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the screen to stay in the capsule.

The vape feels and looks amazing.
My first convection so, off to learn how to use it I go!
20GLFg6.jpg

ohmygodimsohigh

So after spending quite a bit of time with the Firewood 4, I've decided (as mentioned by others above) that it is a session vape. Yes, it heats up very fast and vapor comes quick, but I find that taking a capsule to completion (regardless of pack) takes somewhere in the realm of 4-5 minutes with aggressive temperature settings while on the go. Utilizing the vape outside in cold air adds more time to this.

One of the things that attracted me to the FW4 the most was that I anticipated being able to pull a satisfactory stone out of it with 1-2 big hits in 30 seconds or less while on the go or out and about. YMMV, but my experience shows that it really isn't capable of this and is better suited for puffing at low temps for 5-10 minutes for full extraction and tasty flavor.

Again, this is just my experience with the vape since I've had it over the past few weeks. I thought it would be my last portable, but I just bought a Grasshopper, as I believe it may be a better candidate for the scenario described above. Will report back.

I like the way you think.
I've managed to really vape out a capsule in just a few high temp pulls. Not one or two, but 3 or 4.
Maybe with tuning I could do it in 2.
I pull until the heater activates, then i make very short cigar like puffs - using my jaw and cheeks to suck air rather than my diaphragm and lungs. After 3 or 4 tiny little puffs i take a slow short pull to test the vapor. If i want it more dense, i'll give it a few more tiny short puffs to build up the heat in the capsule before taking another sip of vapor.

These short puffs are intended to pull the hot air from the heater into the capsule and leave it there to build up the capsule temperature more quickly.
This works well with the firefly 2 and the CFV/SWIFT too.

BadDog No

So third time's a charm. Absolutely nothing wrong with the cooling unit for "sitting and sipping". The narrow diameter glass is fine. For "walkabout" I prefer native because I can walk and toke much easier with a more wide open air flow. At home I prefer my improvised 14/18 mouthpiece for lower temps and then higher temps thru water when the taste starts to go to finish it up. Couldn't resist doing a little additional polish with 600 grit wet/dry paper and then some Burt's beeswax. Probably helped to accelerate the drying process on the tung oil; less of a smell, and of course now it's mixed with peppermint oil from the Burt's lip balm. More and more impressed with the design of this little guy although I hope in a future model it's possible to quickly turn off the draw sensor/heater to easily clear heat from the chambers. That's it from the frontlines of practical vapor research for now...
EDIT: Water is fine too, you just have to remember to do a count while drawing to not let it get too hot. You know, moderation and all that shite...maybe this is the vape that I try some non nicotine ejuice with to get stupid big clouds...

Last edited:

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
I was supposed to be on the list last week :( I was sitting at home all night and could have quickly ordered one

XiolaOne,

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
I was supposed to be on the list last week :( I was sitting at home all night and could have quickly ordered one
I got on the email list a few weeks back. Email came in at 7:48 PM EST. Check your spam folder and unflag them if the email got hung up by your incoming mail server.

cannabis.pro,

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
I got on the email list a few weeks back. Email came in at 7:48 PM EST. Check your spam folder and unflag them if the email got hung up by your incoming mail server.

yea, I got nothing. Still have Marcs last email from 11/16 sitting in my inbox. Oh well, hopefully I'll get lucky on the next batch

XiolaOne,

ArthurJ

It looks to me that the 3 capsules with holder dont include the mouthpieces, so you would just swap out the capsule into the mouthpice you're already using.
The mouthpieces with holder seem to include mouthpieces AND capsules.

I think having spare mouthpieces and capsules, which is what I have, is better.
The capsule itself does get hot so if you wanted to swap out a capsule you just used you would be handling hot glass.
To swap out the whole mouthpiece and capsule is easier because you can grab the mouthpiece by the silicone bit.

ArthurJ,

namasteIII

Is anyone using the FW4 as an on demand unit? If so, I'd love to here your experience with it.

namasteIII,

Hagbard Celine

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Trying to research chargers today and getting sort of confused. Probably nit-picking a bit here, but I just did a simple search on Amazon and found so many Nitecore chargers and I dont understand the differences between so many models. I'm sure the one Marc sells with the FW is a fine one, but I wouldnt mind getting one that is capable of charging 2 batteries at once, and would pay a few dollars extra for better features (protection features, faster charge times, displays for charging progress/info).

I'm sticking with Nitecore just because thats what Marc sells with the FW4 and I want to limit the discussion since there are already too many models. But if anyone knows, what are the differences between some of these?

First off, here's a 2014 and 2016 version. I guess I'd be inclined to go with the newer one? Anyone know the specifics:
https://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-i2-...36&sr=8-1&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+i2

https://www.amazon.com/i2-2016-Inte...49&sr=8-3&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+i2

Then there is this one with a display (dont what else, if anything is different):
https://www.amazon.com/Intellicharg...rd_wg=6Fy3W&psc=1&refRID=BWXJFJ480CMT5DZ1WDZM

And also some models called D2 (again, anyine know the differences):
https://www.amazon.com/D2-Rechargea...81&sr=8-2&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+d2

Hagbard Celine,

Office_Printer

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Trying to research chargers today and getting sort of confused. Probably nit-picking a bit here, but I just did a simple search on Amazon and found so many Nitecore chargers and I dont understand the differences between so many models. I'm sure the one Marc sells with the FW is a fine one, but I wouldnt mind getting one that is capable of charging 2 batteries at once, and would pay a few dollars extra for better features (protection features, faster charge times, displays for charging progress/info).

I'm sticking with Nitecore just because thats what Marc sells with the FW4 and I want to limit the discussion since there are already too many models. But if anyone knows, what are the differences between some of these?

First off, here's a 2014 and 2016 version. I guess I'd be inclined to go with the newer one? Anyone know the specifics:
https://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-i2-...36&sr=8-1&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+i2

https://www.amazon.com/i2-2016-Inte...49&sr=8-3&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+i2

Then there is this one with a display (dont what else, if anything is different):
https://www.amazon.com/Intellicharg...rd_wg=6Fy3W&psc=1&refRID=BWXJFJ480CMT5DZ1WDZM

And also some models called D2 (again, anyine know the differences):
https://www.amazon.com/D2-Rechargea...81&sr=8-2&keywords=Nitecore+Intellicharger+d2
AFAIK the only difference between I and D are the screen. Get the D2.

edit: here is a link to a D2 sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Much less likely to be fake, and should be the latest model.

ZC

I have the D2. I like that the screen shows me not just bars of charge level but the actual voltage of the battery when I put it in and when I take it out. Lets you know really how far your devices are draining the batteries.

Top Bottom