Firewood Vaporizer

ZC

Mine just arrived!

Packaging is very well done. Fit and finish is just beautiful. Very impressed with the fit and finish on the unit itself.

I know this has been said before but I'm surprised of how small it is. Wihtout the CU it's the same height as the Milaana, but thinner in the other two dimensions. Cooling unit makes it about 1/4" taller than the Mi, well really the same height as the top of the Mi's thumb wheel.

It's also very light, even with the battery installed.

Only concerns with design are no screen on the air intake and that the glass can't be recessed completely in the CU. If the glass was a little shorter I'd feel safer pushing it into the unit entirely so it would feel safer in the pocket.

Capsule holder doesn't have near the fit and finish of the unit itself. Rough edges, slight fraying where some of the edges were routed. I think it'll look great with a little bit of sanding and some underbutter though.

Only tried it on heat level 3 so far. Vapor was tasty and smooth. Capsule system seems really easy to work with.

Couldn't be happier.

aphidii

Try this... start taking a draw as slowly as you possibly can then gradually increase your draw speed, while listening closely to the air inlet. While you are drawing slowly the air entering the inlet will make no noise, but as you increase the speed at some point it will suddenly start making a faint noise - not quite a whistling noise, but you can hear the air entering. That speed, where it just starts to make the noise, is close to the optimal draw speed. If you draw at that speed and you still get buzzes mid draw then the chamber might be too fully/tightly/resinously packed which can restrict the air, making it hard for the fw to detect draws. If you do a loose pack and do the optimal draw speed and still get the buzzes mid draw then I should probaby check it out, so please send me an email to marc@firewoodvapes.com to discuss.

I'm getting a similar thing, all draw speeds seem to have a buzz during draw. The unit still produces amazing vapor and lots of it when I ignore this mid-draw buzz though.

EDIT: The other thing I've noticed is when on the higher temps (especially 4), when I get the mid draw buzz after drawing for ~5-10 seconds at a medium/slow pace, if I ramp up my draw to go very fast, really hauling on the thing, I get HUUUUGE clouds that taste very well cooked, but if I maintain the medium/slow draw the vapor is thinner.

I've never had a load combust at temp 4 regardless of my draw technique.

Also - I get the best vapor production out of a half or even quarter filled capsule, while others are saying a full cap with a little tamp are giving them best results. I've tried lots of fully loaded caps and they just don't hit as well as a really loose airy pack for me.

Last edited:

SiDankies

I hope the owner starts working on the capsule system. It seems like he can make a glass screen this could be one of the best portables out. Im so intrigued in these things. The buzzing mid draw worries me though. Does this happen with everyone who has the Fw4?

aphidii

I hope the owner starts working on the capsule system. It seems like he can make a glass screen this could be one of the best portables out. Im so intrigued in these things. The buzzing mid draw worries me though. Does this happen with everyone who has the Fw4?

I wouldn't worry, the capsule screens are easy fixed with the back of a pen, and for me at least, are a total non-issue.

The buzzing is a non-issue too really, the thing pumps out the vapor and gets my avb very very brown, perfectly evenly, every time.

As payton says, if it were vibrating strangely and not producing the clouds I might be worried. I tend to ignore the buzz and use the temp and taste to gauge what's happening with the heater. 100% effective.

ohmygodimsohigh

I mentioned an option for disabling the buzz for veterans (or those who want hardcore mode), maybe if there is enough support it will be considered.

I get buzzes mid draw sometimes but buzzes when there isn't vapor is what would worry me.

Please share hardcore mode.

ohmygodimsohigh,

BadDog No

Firewood
Order #
Your order is on the way
Your order is on the way to you. Track your shipment to see the delivery status.

So close and yes so far away. Still, big smiles in anticipation...

EDIT:Even closer than I thought. Just a couple of towns over. It COULD be here tomorrow which would be very sweet...

Last edited:

trenchkato

I finished editing last night and got it uploaded this morning, I'll fix any big issues if you guys notice any.

This video is not Firewood exclusive. I am still working on a Firewood review video.

your tolerance must be thru the roof. But thanks for the party mode mention. I was wondering. Though I'll probably never use it as the technique is already easy.

I do feel overdrive, quick start, and party mode should be in the manual.

Edit : for anyone having questions about the heater, take the mouthpiece out and observe the heater. ( It fires up as soon as you select a temperature.) It doesn't always vibrate for me when it gets up to temp though.

That being said I've been in the habit of taking a primer puff as the manual says to do to fire up the heater. Although this seems to conflict with actual behavior.

Last edited:

trenchkato

I meant "when the heater is turning on" . Sorry bro, I misspoke. My point still stands though. The manual says draw to activate heater when it starts heating as soon as you select temp.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
So, I'm out of town for family stuff regarding holidays.

Had to pick something to take.

The fw 3 wins by huge margin. Huge. I don't have time to get wrecked, quick and efficient and low smell: this fits the bill. Soon as I finish a capsule I kick and reload and stash away for next time

I can't understate how perfect. I'm in city, butane would attract unwanted attention. This pays no mind on his porch.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
My FW4 arrived yesterday - was happy all over. Batts had been charged fully.
Super sadly, my unit seems to be DOA. Am already in contact with Marc.

Does anyone's unit "rattle", if you shake it? It seems something is loose in there that is blocking the button at some angles. Also not able to turn it on properly.. No buzzing. But sometimes buzzing as you press the button - sometimes nothing - sometimes the coil heats up while depressed (like a Milaana)...
I'm sad like a child with broken toys... Hope to get it sorted soon.

Enjoy your woods. It's so stunningly beautiful - and so small (I know we had that.. ;))

Please, Snow White, wake up! (Yes, I tried kissing, too...):D

Last edited:

vapen00b

@vapen00b : Hard to "like" such a sad tale, but I'm sure it will get worked out. Mine is out for delivery today so of course I'm worried. It's OK, just adds to the excitement.
Is this the only DOA report? Don't remember any others...

Hey mate,
thanks for your kinds words. :)

I think, you shouldn't be worried. Marc wrapped everything up nicely and securely - it must be a bad part or glue attached to a chip/controller/vibration motor that has not cured properly.. (I don't know, if Marc uses glue at all - so no speculation intended..!) I have no clue - but hope I will hold a fully functional unit in my hands soonest and join the party... Oh, man. It does still hurt a little looking at it... it's wonderful. You'll love it!!! :)

BadDog No

@vapen00b : Mine arrived and works fine. My sympathy for your situation has only increased. What a little beauty! I had my doubts about the cooling unit, but ordered the total package anyway just to see. Some will like it; me not so much. The tiny glass reminds me too much of the MFLB and a bit too much undertone of walnut and finish, although I can see why some folks love that limonene. Native on level 2 works great for me. As others have mentioned, the workmanship is outstanding and the diminutive size wonderfully palmable. The capsules are longer and narrower than I expected, good for both microloads or an all day walkabout. I'm very happy with my "out of the box" experience although of course more testing remains. ;) Although I haven't done more than a dry run, the mouthpiece silicone seems to match nicely to a 14mm F bubbler. I really want to bring this to a party tonite, but I also don't want to show it off until I'm a bit more familiar. Could be an afternoon (or even late morning) nap in my future...:lol:

vapen00b

@vapen00b : Mine arrived and works fine. My sympathy for your situation has only increased. What a little beauty! I had my doubts about the cooling unit, but ordered the total package anyway just to see. Some will like it; me not so much. The tiny glass reminds me too much of the MFLB and a bit too much undertone of walnut and finish, although I can see why some folks love that limonene. Native on level 2 works great for me. As others have mentioned, the workmanship is outstanding and the diminutive size wonderfully palmable. The capsules are longer and narrower than I expected, good for both microloads or an all day walkabout. I'm very happy with my "out of the box" experience although of course more testing remains. ;) Although I haven't done more than a dry run, the mouthpiece silicone seems to match nicely to a 14mm F bubbler. I really want to bring this to a party tonite, but I also don't want to show it off until I'm a bit more familiar. Could be an afternoon (or even late morning) nap in my future...:lol:

Glad you received yours and like it. CS has been wonderful so no one should worry about anything, if something went wrong - if you're on the fence, take the plunge. :nod:
Marc replied very fast so I could already manage to drop it off at the post office to return back home.
Can't wait to have the replacement unit - til then I'll be watching and smelling my detached CU :D:luv:

Enjoy yours and sneak a toke for me bro! :)

ArthurJ

The only buzz I worry about is mine.
I often get the mid-draw buzz but its only once per draw and the device is working fine and it accomplishes the task at hand.

I've become a fan of carrying both my three and four around. So as one runs a little hot I can switch off to the other! I still like the feel of the 3 in my hand.
I like em both!!

BadDog No

So a little further testing reveals that 3 of my 5 14mm F bubblers work fine. Because the silicone mouthpiece is kind of short, it doesn't really seal in either my D20 type (recessed 14 in the top of the can) or my little Pinnacle microbubbler. Gave the cooling chamber another try; it's just not for me. Had been planning on using the Pinnacle dry as a kind of mouthpiece, but it doesn't fit.
Was trying to improvise a mouthpiece (gets a little uncomfortable native if you're hitting it hard) and the only thing I have that fits is one of DDave's 18/14 cyclone bowls for the Arizer EQ that I wasn't using (Dave gives you 2). Fits right up. works like a charm. Also found a short piece of silicone that works.

Dumb stuff I did and you shouldn't: The mouthpiece actually has 2 little glass chambers inside it, not one. Yes, it does help to read the instructions. So do Not take your trusty packing dowel and ram both screens out, all you have to do is bend the silicone a little and one of the chambers will come right out. A really simple and elegant design actually. I may have been medicated...

vapen00b

So a little further testing reveals that 3 of my 5 14mm F bubblers work fine. Because the silicone mouthpiece is kind of short, it doesn't really seal in either my D20 type (recessed 14 in the top of the can) or my little Pinnacle microbubbler. Gave the cooling chamber another try; it's just not for me. Had been planning on using the Pinnacle dry as a kind of mouthpiece, but it doesn't fit.
Was trying to improvise a mouthpiece (gets a little uncomfortable native if you're hitting it hard) and the only thing I have that fits is one of DDave's 18/14 cyclone bowls for the Arizer EQ that I wasn't using (Dave gives you 2). Fits right up. works like a charm. Also found a short piece of silicone that works.

Dumb stuff I did and you shouldn't: The mouthpiece actually has 2 little glass chambers inside it, not one. Yes, it does help to read the instructions. So do Not take your trusty packing dowel and ram both screens out, all you have to do is bend the silicone a little and one of the chambers will come right out. A really simple and elegant design actually. I may have been medicated...

Could you snap a pic of your new mouthpiece mod? :)

How come you don't like the CU? Added draw restriction?

Keep your reports coming. Tides me over :)

ZC

I'm thinking of replacing the glass tube in the cooling unit with a stainless steel tube. Right now that piece of glass is the only thing I worry a out when carrying it in my pocket. A custom machined tube with a little rim on the end would be ideal, like the haze. Push it all the way in when not in use, use the rim to pull it out.

Also was thinking @Alan could make wooden capsules/mouthpieces as an alternative to the stock capsules. After all his wooden stems are really popular with the Milaana.

I imagine my wall wart Milaana mod should work just fine with the FW4 as well. Though it's less needed since the FW is regulated and doesn't lose power as the battery drains.

Just spitballing really. I can't get a new vape without trying to find ways to tinker with it.

BadDog No

So I was headed to a small party earlier and took Firewood the 4th, all 3 of my charged batteries, 4 loaded mouthpiece/chambers, a simple bubbler, my DDave 18/14 EQ cyclone bowl mouthpiece, and just in case, Milaana. Folks seemed to like both with oohs and ahs over the compact elegance of Woody. All appreciated it's ease of use as well. Still, it was a tough crowd, and they wanted power more than lower temperature terpene goodness. It wasn't until I kicked Woody up to level 4 and popped him on the bubbler that folks got really interested. Woody has power too, but not like Millie. So folks liked both and could see either as fitting into their lifestyle except for the cost. All my cheap ass friends prefer Chinese plastic combustion pens for themselves simply because of cost. I need a better set of friends...

EDIT: Meant to write conduction pens but maybe combustion IS more accurate...:lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom