Firewood Vaporizer

thevapester

Mystery solved on my combustion issue with the FW4. It appears that the bottoms screen went sideways sometime after I loaded it and material dropped down onto the coil. I think I managed to get everything off the coil but there are two glass tubes around the coil and there still seems to be some material between the glass layers. Kind of wishing I had some compressed air handy.

Sake thing happened to me. I was able to blow it all out. Thinking of putting a screen down there just in case.

thevapester,

friedrich

Little-Known Member
OK, the extra screen is an interesting idea. It's strange that I never experienced that with the FW3.
This issue with the screen moving starts to sound too common..
Hope some fix is in the works
Funny, the FW3 capsule screens were worse for me, but fortunately I caught it before one dropped a lot of herb down into the heater. I then jammed (larger) Nano stem screens into all my capsules for a permanent solution; they hold securely in place but also reduce the capacity.

5QVyrT0.png

perennialflare

It certainly fits just fine and really doesn't look much more precarious than it does sitting on the FW4 (although it certainly doesn't look as professional). Haven't had a chance to actually try it but I'll give it a shot today or tomorrow.

thanks! If it works alright I might buy just the cooling unit to use with fw3. Getting the crafty CU has always been a popular suggestion for cooling down the firewood but tbh that combo looks so dumb I didn't want to try it. With the fw4 CU, even if it won't look exactly like it's meant to be there, it should still match pretty well since both are walnut

plus that way when I get around to buying the fw4 I'll probably only need the unit (the fw3 capsules probably work in the fw4 right?)

perennialflare,
Reactions: vapen00b

thevapester

Funny, the FW3 capsule screens were worse for me, but fortunately I caught it before one dropped a lot of herb down into the heater. I then jammed (larger) Nano stem screens into all my capsules for a permanent solution; they hold securely in place but also reduce the capacity.

5QVyrT0.png

That's a good idea. Ive been thinking of getting some SS mesh to play with. I would actually like it if it reduced the capsule's capacity because I'm usually micro dosing or vaping by myself. A loaded FW4 capsule lasts me 3-7 days!

Mr Mellish

thanks! If it works alright I might buy just the cooling unit to use with fw3. Getting the crafty CU has always been a popular suggestion for cooling down the firewood but tbh that combo looks so dumb I didn't want to try it. With the fw4 CU, even if it won't look exactly like it's meant to be there, it should still match pretty well since both are walnut

plus that way when I get around to buying the fw4 I'll probably only need the unit (the fw3 capsules probably work in the fw4 right?)

The capsules and sleeves for the FW3 and FW4 are interchangeable. The cooling unit seems to work just fine on the FW3 and is certainly a better connection than using a Crafty CU.

Mr Mellish

Do you think maybe a coffee stir straw might work...your lungs supplying the air? :shrug:

That's a good idea. I turned it upside down and then blew hard up into the opening. Then I did a quick unloaded burn-off to see if I got any further combustion. Think I got it all.

Mr Mellish,

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I found the fw3 screen turned sideways once or twice early on, however once you get it placed right it tends to stay in place.

Also, after a few uses, the little bit of condensed vapor and oils left in the bowl makes for a less slippery surface than clean glass so it's easier to seat and more likely to stay in place.

I have had no issues since, despite much use.

Office_Printer

I am having trouble figuring out my draw. It always buzzes during the draw. I have tried faster and slower but haven't found the groove yet. I am not sure if the buzz is because my draw is too slow or if I am too fast and overpowering the heater. I wish it would buzz once when it detects the draw and turns on the heater, and buzz twice if you are overpowering the heater.

Office_Printer,

thevapester

I am having trouble figuring out my draw. It always buzzes during the draw. I have tried faster and slower but haven't found the groove yet. I am not sure if the buzz is because my draw is too slow or if I am too fast and overpowering the heater. I wish it would buzz once when it detects the draw and turns on the heater, and buzz twice if you are overpowering the heater.

Ive had mine for about a week and seems like it takes a good strong pull to activate the heater and get the first buzz. Im not sure what the timer length is to turn off the element when it stops detecting a draw, but it seems to be pretty short. Marc or someone else a while back said that the overdraw sensor is pretty strong-you would have to bu pulling pretty hard to get it-Im not sure if I ever have.

trenchkato

VapeNugs

Maybe I'm just slow, but this part of that post does not make sense to me:

"However if the heater is up to Temp you will get a buzz every pull. You really have to be pulling hard for about six seconds to get the second buzz."

I get a second buzz pretty often no matter how quickly I am pulling. Even at a moderate speed I get a second buzz. My unit just never seems to get hot no matter how I pull.

Last edited:
VapeNugs,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Maybe I'm just slow, but this part of that post does not make sense to me:

"However if the heater is up to Temp you will get a buzz every pull. You really have to be pulling hard for about six seconds to get the second buzz."

I get a second buzz pretty often no matter how quickly I am pulling. Even at a moderate speed I get a second buzz. My unit just never seems to get hot no matter how I pull.
What temp are you using?

Take a puff and look into the Firewood at the coil.

paytonpenn,

hippogriff

I tried the Crafty CU hack w/ my FW3; Too much cooling! Lost the flavor and feedback but had some really intense sessions, ultimately I used it ocassionally but mostly used a mouthpiece modified to be about 3/4" longer than stock and needed nothing more.

With my FW4 the cooling unit is nicely effective and the narrow tube is nicely matched to the proper draw, but after months using only a Milaana I prefer a wider mouthpiece. Marc was very kind to provide me w/ an extra bit of walnut and I finally got around to attacking it w/ a dremel and a sanding block to mate the FW4 to a Crafty glass mouthpiece:

YJqej6F.jpg

9NteZpU.jpg

This provides all the cooling I need for my low-temp sessions, I very occasionally cache a capsule on 3 when I'm going for full and fast extraction, usually sip on 1 and finish w/ a couple hits on 2.

My FW4 has replaced my Milaana as my every day carry, the compactness, the easily pre-loaded cartridges, and the sweet interface & regulation all stand out, and both vapes have strong log-vape effects. The Milaana is special w/ gobs of smooth power, but the FW4 is more than I need and really suits my use.

firewood

Manufacturer
Try this... start taking a draw as slowly as you possibly can then gradually increase your draw speed, while listening closely to the air inlet. While you are drawing slowly the air entering the inlet will make no noise, but as you increase the speed at some point it will suddenly start making a faint noise - not quite a whistling noise, but you can hear the air entering. That speed, where it just starts to make the noise, is close to the optimal draw speed. If you draw at that speed and you still get buzzes mid draw then the chamber might be too fully/tightly/resinously packed which can restrict the air, making it hard for the fw to detect draws. If you do a loose pack and do the optimal draw speed and still get the buzzes mid draw then I should probaby check it out, so please send me an email to marc@firewoodvapes.com to discuss.

Office_Printer

Try this... start taking a draw as slowly as you possibly can then gradually increase your draw speed, while listening closely to the air inlet. While you are drawing slowly the air entering the inlet will make no noise, but as you increase the speed at some point it will suddenly start making a faint noise - not quite a whistling noise, but you can hear the air entering. That speed, where it just starts to make the noise, is close to the optimal draw speed. If you draw at that speed and you still get buzzes mid draw then the chamber might be too fully/tightly/resinously packed which can restrict the air, making it hard for the fw to detect draws. If you do a loose pack and do the optimal draw speed and still get the buzzes mid draw then I should probaby check it out, so please send me an email to marc@firewoodvapes.com to discuss.
Thanks Marc. I suspect I was packing too tight. More experimentation is needed. There is only so much I can do in one day. :lol:

Office_Printer,
Top Bottom