Firewood Vaporizer

djchexxx

I want to join the glass capsule crowd. Just spent ten minutes trying to get the stupid mesh from a capsule that the mesh flipped sideways on ( dumping my load into the heating element :( ) to get back in and stay. I found that the best way to do this was to find something cylindrical that just fits in the capsule, press the screen onto it, then fit the capsule over the screen while it is on the cylindrical thingy, then press firmly to get a tight fix. Upon examination it looks like this is how the screens are fit to the capsule's in the first place.
Those cheap bic pens that you get from hotels or buy at staples in a pack of 100 work perfectly to push the mesh screen down ;)

dac13

Another +1 for glass screen capsules.

I let my friend borrow my FW3 for a week with two capsules +screens and he returned it when he lost the two screens and now I don't remember where my replacement screens went but I remember putting them in myself never fits as well as the day they arrived

Edit: on the plus side, my FW4 should arrive today, so i'll be fine :zombie::zombie::zombie:

EDIT EDIT: I have 3 batteries from my Milaana and I have heard they are compatable with the FW4.0. I bought all my batteries from RBT. one is blue says samsung 3.7V and 2500 mah and the next two I bought a month later and they are brown and say 3.7V and 3000mah. All 3 of these should work fine correct?

Last edited:

rosedale

@firewood Can we get capsules like this with a built in glass screen? My biggest annoyance with the Firewoods have been the mesh screens moving around when im hitting it or cleaning out the capsule. These are actually pods for the milaana but I like the idea for the firewood.
@ChooChooCharlie upclose pic
n6FT1zMm.jpg

Do we know that these won't actually work? Could this be swapped out for the bottom part of the FW3 capsule?

rosedale,

djchexxx

Another +1 for glass screen capsules.

I let my friend borrow my FW3 for a week with two capsules +screens and he returned it when he lost the two screens and now I don't remember where my replacement screens went but I remember putting them in myself never fits as well as the day they arrived

Edit: on the plus side, my FW4 should arrive today, so i'll be fine :zombie::zombie::zombie:

EDIT EDIT: I have 3 batteries from my Milaana and I have heard they are compatable with the FW4.0. I bought all my batteries from RBT. one is blue says samsung 3.7V and 2500 mah and the next two I bought a month later and they are brown and say 3.7V and 3000mah. All 3 of these should work fine correct?
Your batteries will work with the FW4. From what I remember the milaana has a 20A minimum, the same as the FW

Do we know that these won't actually work? Could this be swapped out for the bottom part of the FW3 capsule?
I dont have my milaana pod anymore because I sold it with my milaana, but I remember comparing the size of the capsules and the pod was a lot bigger than the FW4 capsule. The size of the FW capsule seems to be a very specific size. I think that the capsule sits a few mm above the heater. I'm pretty sure the milaana pod was longer so it would be hitting the heater but since I dont have the pod anymore I cant be 100% sure.

edit: I dont think it will work with the FW3. The silicon would have to be stretched so much I think that it wouldn't even let the mouthpiece to be pushed into the unit.

Mr Mellish

The new FW4 arrived today. The battery was nearly dead, so it's on the charger. I wasn't really paying that much attention and was surprised to get the Nitecore I1 with it. Using the D2 because I'm just too lazy to screw with it.

The FW4 is smaller than I expected but looks beautiful. The mouthpiece seems awfully tiny.

On the down side, it is much more obviously a vape. I could leave the FW3 out, just sitting in a bag that came with one of my Anker USB chargers and no one suspected anything.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
My FW4 arrived today as well and I am a happy camper! It is really really pretty and functions very well. I am a couple capsules in from experimenting with different load sizes and heat levels and it is definitely a performer!

There is a huge jump in temp from level 3 to 4. I'm sure that 4 could combust but I haven't been there (yet.)

I have had pretty good success using an underdog gong with some silicone o-rings around it - it's not a perfect seal but I will work on it..

This 18650 case I have can accidentally hold a FW4 and 3 (maybe 4?) extra capsules/mouthpieces....

radiant34

been using this at lvl 1 for amazing taste, you get real good clouds if you get your draw technique going. perfect taste. lvl 2 is where taste gets eh. dont bother with 3 and 4 as it really cooks herbs

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
been using this at lvl 1 for amazing taste, you get real good clouds if you get your draw technique going. perfect taste. lvl 2 is where taste gets eh. dont bother with 3 and 4 as it really cooks herbs

From post #1689 in this thread:

"The process is very simple and will save you from having to send your FW3 in. I would like to thank @Slow Draw McGraw for this one.

Basically, it is possible to adjust the temperature settings of the vaporizer by shifting the temperature ranges upwards in approximately 7 degree F increments. Here is how you can do it:
- turn on the vape
- wait until battery indicator buzzes are done
- click the button 8 times
- the vape will make 8 quick buzzes
- click the button 5 times
- the vape will make 5 quick buzzes
- click the button between 0 and 8 times:
0 clicks = set temp shift to 0
1 click = set temp shift to approx +7 degrees F for all heat levels
2 clicks = set temp shift to approx +14 degrees F for all heat levels
3 clicks = set temp shift to approx +21 degrees F for all heat levels
4 clicks = set temp shift to approx +28 degrees F for all heat levels
5 clicks = set temp shift to approx +36 degrees F for all heat levels
6 clicks = set temp shift to approx +43 degrees F for all heat levels
7 clicks = set temp shift to approx +50 degrees F for all heat levels
8 clicks = buzz back the current temp shift setting then shut off.

Ideally, when you turn on the vape and set heat level 3, without the mouthpiece in place, you should be able to see the coil barely glowing within about 10 seconds. If it isn't glowing then you may want to use the above procedure to shift the heat levels a bit higher (you can experiment, but starting with 4 clicks (+28 degrees) would be a good test to see if it helps.

I bumped mine up 4 clicks and it was money! So nice to be able to tweak the temp shift exactly to your liking so very easily!

The FW3....What a great vaporizer! Keep up the great work @firewood!

Working on a review guys, I've been super busy."

BadDog No

I'm in the same boat ZC and while I also have a grasshopper coming this month (No, really; after eight months I finally got my address confirmation), Firewood the Fourth is what I'm waiting for. Not sure how I'm going to break the news to Millie Milaana that she'll soon have a new walnut cousin that she'll have to share her batteries with. I hope she doesn't start combusting again in protest...

Gettinbetter

I know many people love the smell of the finished wood, but I am not a fan. Especially when it lingers on my hands after use. Hopefully it will fade with time.
It faded on the F3 so I expect that it will on the F4 as well. There's a smell associated with the finish too. Maybe try a different wax or oil?

Gettinbetter,

perennialflare

does anyone know if the fw4 cooling unit would work on the fw3? I feel like it should since it fits over the capsule mouthpiece which is the same in both devices, right? I realize it would not be flush with the fw3 body since the 4 is smaller, but still. Has anyone tried it?

Mr Mellish

does anyone know if the fw4 cooling unit would work on the fw3? I feel like it should since it fits over the capsule mouthpiece which is the same in both devices, right? I realize it would not be flush with the fw3 body since the 4 is smaller, but still. Has anyone tried it?

It certainly fits just fine and really doesn't look much more precarious than it does sitting on the FW4 (although it certainly doesn't look as professional). Haven't had a chance to actually try it but I'll give it a shot today or tomorrow.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
A couple things that have surprised me:

1. I think I like it better without the cooling unit. There is so much less draw restriction and I really love a free-flowing vape - also of course it is much more pocketable that way.

2. It does put out thicker vapor with a fuller capsule. I know the manual says this, but I was hesitant to believe it since it sort of runs counter to most of my experience with convection vapes.

Thanks to Marc for designing such an elegant and TINY unit. This will become my #1 pocket portable for sure. Finally - the marriage of on-demand and replaceable batteries in a pocket-friendly design. What else can compare?

(GH is cool, but I read that people get one bowl per battery - GTFO)

Mr Mellish

A couple things that have surprised me:

1. I think I like it better without the cooling unit. There is so much less draw restriction and I really love a free-flowing vape - also of course it is much more pocketable that way.

2. It does put out thicker vapor with a fuller capsule. I know the manual says this, but I was hesitant to believe it since it sort of runs counter to most of my experience with convection vapes.

Thanks to Marc for designing such an elegant and TINY unit. This will become my #1 pocket portable for sure. Finally - the marriage of on-demand and replaceable batteries in a pocket-friendly design. What else can compare?

(GH is cool, but I read that people get one bowl per battery - GTFO)

Good point! I think I'll try the FW4 without the cooling unit. Despite being a bit wimpy and coughing easily, I've never really had that issue with the FW3 -- even though it was adjusted up by 4. If the FW4 experience is similar, the cooling unit might just go into storage (after suitable semi-scientific study).

ETA: Session 2 with the FW4 and I think I combusted. It smells bad to me and I'm hoping no one else notices. I haven't boosted it yet, so I was on standard setting 4. I pulled the capsule and the load was sucked up to the top screen, not close to touching the bottom screen. How does that get to combustion?

Last edited:

djchexxx

Good point! I think I'll try the FW4 without the cooling unit. Despite being a bit wimpy and coughing easily, I've never really had that issue with the FW3 -- even though it was adjusted up by 4. If the FW4 experience is similar, the cooling unit might just go into storage (after suitable semi-scientific study).

ETA: Session 2 with the FW4 and I think I combusted. It smells bad to me and I'm hoping no one else notices. I haven't boosted it yet, so I was on standard setting 4. I pulled the capsule and the load was sucked up to the top screen, not close to touching the bottom screen. How does that get to combustion?

I never went to level 4. I noticed at level 3 with a slow long enough draw i can get the herb at the bottom of the capsule to a very dark brown. Maybe at level 4 try at faster draw?

ohmygodimsohigh

I've been switching back and forth on the cooling unit. I think i can control and fine tune my draw much better WITH the cooling unit. It allows me to puff my cheeks and use my jaw and tongue to make micro movements of air and totally customize how much heat i'm putting in the herb.

However, while walking - i can't control air enough to get vapor with the cooling unit. If I hit it without the cooling unit while walking, i can get vapor.

I'm sticking with the cooling unit. It's still very free flowing and it looks classier with it on.
Plus the glass has been collecting some nice clean reclaim - I need to figure out how to harvest.

Would the stem milk trick be ok without removing that silicon band in the middle?

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I've been switching back and forth on the cooling unit. I think i can control and fine tune my draw much better WITH the cooling unit. It allows me to puff my cheeks and use my jaw and tongue to make micro movements of air and totally customize how much heat i'm putting in the herb.

However, while walking - i can't control air enough to get vapor with the cooling unit. If I hit it without the cooling unit while walking, i can get vapor.

I'm sticking with the cooling unit. It's still very free flowing and it looks classier with it on.
Plus the glass has been collecting some nice clean reclaim - I need to figure out how to harvest.

Would the stem milk trick be ok without removing that silicon band in the middle?
Its easy to just slide the silicone off and back on.

paytonpenn,

Mr Mellish

Mystery solved on my combustion issue with the FW4. It appears that the bottoms screen went sideways sometime after I loaded it and material dropped down onto the coil. I think I managed to get everything off the coil but there are two glass tubes around the coil and there still seems to be some material between the glass layers. Kind of wishing I had some compressed air handy.

Top Bottom