Firewood Vaporizer

rvarick

After some emailing with Marc and temp adjustments I think I have my FW6 more dialed in now. The main things that were needed were to ensure the material is tamped down (not loose), and to re-adjust/re-program all 3 temp levels.

Mark essentially confirmed the adjustment steps I'd listed above. One thing to understand is that every temp setting can be set to whatever 10 degree temp range you want. i.e. you're not limited to the section of the table that happens to have the same number as the temp level you're adjusting. You could literally make temp level 2 440 degrees and Level 4 250 degrees if you wanted to. Trying to get mine to be close to the FW5 settings I'm used two, I bumped Level 2 a fair amount (from 300 to 340), Level 3 a bit (from 360 to 380) and level 4 just slightly (from 410 to 420). Happy to try and assist anyone with this if they get confused like I did (probably not, LOL).

I'm also getting the hang of the draw speed with the bigger bowl. On my FW5 the small bowl would keep me from being able to draw too fast even on a semi-loose pack. On the FW6 it seems like with the loose pack the thing will definitely buzz you. Once I restricted airflow by packing down, I was able to do some normal speed hits. I've also gotten better with the slider. I learned with this to make sure you're not squeezing the unit at all while trying to slide, as it slides best when the sides aren't being pushed together. I also had a moment where the scoop tool was blocking the device from closing right, so now I make sure it's in all the way before closing the device up.

Edit/Update: I actually can’t get my FW6 to produce any vapor consistently, mostly not at all on any setting. All I’m getting is harsh, hot air no matter the pack, draw technique, or material. Effects are minimal too. It’s really disappointing. Before I give up, are others getting any kind of reliable results with theirs?

Last edited:

flammy

After some emailing with Marc and temp adjustments I think I have my FW6 more dialed in now. The main things that were needed were to ensure the material is tamped down (not loose), and to re-adjust/re-program all 3 temp levels.

Mark essentially confirmed the adjustment steps I'd listed above. One thing to understand is that every temp setting can be set to whatever 10 degree temp range up want. i.e. you're not limited to the section of the table that happens to have the same number as the temp level you're adjusting. You could literally make temp level 2 440 degrees and Level 4 250 degrees if you wanted to. Trying to get mine to be close to the FW5 settings I'm used two, I bumped Level 2 a fair amount (from 300 to 340), Level 3 a bit (from 360 to 380) and level 4 just slightly (from 410 to 420). Happy to try and assist anyone with this if they get confused like I did (probably not, LOL).

I'm also getting the hang of the draw speed with the bigger bowl. On my FW5 the small bowl would keep me from being able to draw too fast even on a semi-loose pack. On the FW6 it seems like with the loose pack the thing will definitely buzz you. Once I restricted airflow by packing down, I was able to do some normal speed hits. I've also gotten better with the slider. I learned with this to make sure you're not squeezing the unit at all while trying to slide, as it slides best when the sides aren't being pushed together. I also had a moment where the scoop tool was blocking the device from closing right, so now I make sure it's in all the way before closing the device up.

Sorry I was late to answer that question but glad that you've figured it out. I just took mine for a test drive after adjusting the temperature levels for each setting. I bumped up each of the levels to near max.

The ability to adjust the temps more accurately is pretty darn cool. I need a little more time with this before I can provide solid feedback but my initial assessment is that if you are a fan of the FW5, please do yourself a favor and grab a FW6. It very much appears that a lot of thought went into OTG use. This all said, my FW5 isn't going anywhere. I like it too much.

I do have one piece of constructive criticism. The instructions provided can be clarified a bit with more verbiage. I can easily see how @rvarick could be unsure of how to change temps. If you're ever unsure of what exact temp setting you're at, just click 6 times. Very cool that it will tell you which setting within a setting you're currently set at.

I'll be back soon with more thoughts on the FW6 (including pics).

Happy Friday and hope everyone has a really great weekend...mine is off to a great start! Thanks @firewood!

EDIT: I think I'm in love...you may interpret that any way you wish. I will be back this weekend with more detailed thoughts.

Last edited:

Brewervapesalot

Mark essentially confirmed the adjustment steps I'd listed above. One thing to understand is that every temp setting can be set to whatever 10 degree temp range you want. i.e. you're not limited to the section of the table that happens to have the same number as the temp level you're adjusting. You could literally make temp level 2 440 degrees and Level 4 250 degrees if you wanted to. Trying to get mine to be close to the FW5 settings I'm used two, I bumped Level 2 a fair amount (from 300 to 340), Level 3 a bit (from 360 to 380) and level 4 just slightly (from 410 to 420). Happy to try and assist anyone with this if they get confused like I did (probably not, LOL).

Edit/Update: I actually can’t get my FW6 to produce any vapor consistently, mostly not at all on any setting. All I’m getting is harsh, hot air no matter the pack, draw technique, or material. Effects are minimal too. It’s really disappointing. Before I give up, are others getting any kind of reliable results with theirs?

I'd talk to mark.... sounds like dud, or he'll steer you right.

What kinda weed you vaping?

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: shredder

hippogriff

Small thought for you - is it possible you’re drawing too soon? No vapor/hot air reminds me of multiple convection vapes - especially w low or need-to-be-replaces-soon batteries - when I started drawing before the heater had reached temps, so I got the hot air of the heater trying to get there, but didn’t get there, so no vapor. Have you tried starting the heat cycle, counting off 5 slow seconds, then drawing slowly? Probably have, if not, worth trying.

flammy

Can you confirm the exact temp setting that you are currently using? Do this by clicking 6 times consecutively. After doing so, two sets of buzzes should occur. One short burst of buzzes followed by a very brief pause and then another set of buzzes. It is possible to only have one set of buzzes as well. Can you let us know how many buzzes within each set are produced after clicking 6 times?

Last edited:

rvarick

Thanks for the tips and help everyone. I also been emailing with Marc who has been super helpful with all my questions. To answer a few of the questions above:

For material, I’ve tried multiple kinds so I’m not thinking it’s one strain that’s at issue.

For temp settings, I’m currently at 350-360 for level 2, 370-380 for level 3, and 420-430 for level 4. I just checked each with the buzzes and the chart to confirm.

The tip to wait at least 3-4 seconds before drawing seems to be a possible difference maker. I was happy to see 2 solid hits in a row off some CBD flower today doing this. The idea I may have been quickly overloading the heater makes some sense. My battery was also down to 3 last night.

Unrelated, does anyone else sometimes get more than one vibration/buzz after a draw is done? Like 1 short, 1 long? Seems to happen more after a draw where the draw speed sensor was buzzing at me for going too fast.

Overall I may just be finding with me/mine this FW6 is just more particular with what it needs as far as pack and draw speed, and needs more ramp up time compared to the FW5. Which seems weird as the 6 is supposed to have a more powerful heater. Maybe the larger bowl plays a part in not allowing an immediate draw to work well. I’m also finding the 6 a little harsher/hotter even when it’s working right but this could just be the ramped up temps.

Good news is I guess more testing it needed before I throw in the towel.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !

Also, maybe try drying your herb under a lamp for 20 minutes to help dry it out, along with using a medium grind to allow better air flow than you will get with a fine, tightly packed bowl. Let us know how it's working out and we'll all keep trying to help you out.

flammy

Thanks for the tips and help everyone. I also been emailing with Marc who has been super helpful with all my questions. To answer a few of the questions above:

For material, I’ve tried multiple kinds so I’m not thinking it’s one strain that’s at issue.

For temp settings, I’m currently at 350-360 for level 2, 370-380 for level 3, and 420-430 for level 4. I just checked each with the buzzes and the chart to confirm.

The tip to wait at least 3-4 seconds before drawing seems to be a possible difference maker. I was happy to see 2 solid hits in a row off some CBD flower today doing this. The idea I may have been quickly overloading the heater makes some sense. My battery was also down to 3 last night.

Unrelated, does anyone else sometimes get more than one vibration/buzz after a draw is done? Like 1 short, 1 long? Seems to happen more after a draw where the draw speed sensor was buzzing at me for going too fast.

Overall I may just be finding with me/mine this FW6 is just more particular with what it needs as far as pack and draw speed, and needs more ramp up time compared to the FW5. Which seems weird as the 6 is supposed to have a more powerful heater. Maybe the larger bowl plays a part in not allowing an immediate draw to work well. I’m also finding the 6 a little harsher/hotter even when it’s working right but this could just be the ramped up temps.

Good news is I guess more testing it needed before I throw in the towel.

That's really good to hear. I hope you start to get more consistent results. For what it's worth, I am getting great results out of my FW6 so if you want to PM me with questions, I am more than happy to do what I can to help you as well.

I have a really packed day today but my intent is to take pics and do a small write up and post by tomorrow. Spoiler alert, I like the FW6...a lot.

Brewervapesalot

I, also, always wait about 4 or 5 seconds after pressing the button before drawing on the FW5. That works really well.

Brewervapesalot,

Trulukkyphrank

Question for the already owners, how is the quick ''clean ability'' of the heating chamber on the fw6?

One of the things I liked the most with the fw5 was the removable chamber tray. After vaping a bowl I can take the chamber tray easy out and blow thru the used chamber, when I make this when the bowl is still warm it keeps clean forever! no clogged screens etc.

<<can't wait for the release, I had my fw5 for months on the shelf because of a broken tray, today I used it again even with the broken tray and just love the quality! Marc is a hero in the vaping industry>>

flammy

Hi all! I’ve spent the past two days using the FW6 exclusively. I have gone through countless bowls and on my 4th battery.

I am in the process of doing a write up that I hope will address all of the questions asked. Spoiler alert: It's amazing. I will also try to take additional pics and post here but for the time being I have posted a few on my IG (I hope this isn't against the rules):

https://www.instagram.com/p/B29iTW3Hk7U/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mr. Me2

Hi all! I’ve spent the past two days using the FW6 exclusively. I have gone through countless bowls and on my 4th battery.

I am in the process of doing a write up that I hope will address all of the questions asked. Spoiler alert: It's amazing. I will also try to take additional pics and post here but for the time being I have posted a few on my IG (I hope this isn't against the rules):

Thanks for the pics and spoiler. Can’t wait for the review and more pics of its innards!

Mr. Me2,

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood

You’re doing gods work flammy :clap:

And that finished walnut looks amazing.

TastyCakeWasTasty,

rvarick

Anyone with a FW5 happen to know if there’s a way to check the current temp setting (like if it’s been adjusted)? On the 6 it’s available by clicking 6 times, where 5 clicks just shows the current temp level.

rvarick,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Anyone with a FW5 happen to know if there’s a way to check the current temp setting (like if it’s been adjusted)? On the 6 it’s available by clicking 6 times, where 5 clicks just shows the current temp level.
The 5 you'd have to go all the way into the settings sequence to check.

paytonpenn,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !

HomeVaporizers › Walnut Firewood 6
fw6a_1024x1024.png

Walnut Firewood 6
$ 195.00
Unfinished

The Firewood 6 is the only portable vaporizer on the market that has an on-board herb chamber that can hold up to 1 1/2 grams of ground flower and allows easy loading directly into the ceramic bowl. In addition it has an upgraded, super fast stainless steel heating element and a long glass vapor path to provide the smoothest, best tasting vapor available. Features include:

• Super Fast Heat Up Times - Coil heats up in about 5 seconds from cold, vapor in 20 Seconds
  • Integrated herb chamber with approx. 1 1/2 gram capacity
  • Uses standard high drain 18650 cells (charged externally)
  • Proprietary Draw Sense Technology - dynamically adjusts the heat level based on draw speed and automatically turns off the heater if the button is accidentally depressed while not in use
  • 3 User programmable temperature settings range from 250ºF (121ºC) to 450ºF (232ºC) in 10ºF (5.6ºC) increments.
  • Vibration feedback, no distracting lights
  • Discreet pocketable form factor
  • User swappable batteries (requires external charger, sold separately)
  • Vaporizers are covered by a 1 year limited warranty as detailed in the manual
Black Walnut has a natural color that can range from medium to very dark brown and can potentially show a large range of colors within one piece.

Finishes: The most basic version (unfinished) is shaped and rough sanded with no finish applied. The Tung Oil version is fine sanded then given a coat of 100% natural Tung oil to give it a slightly darker, richer appearance. Please allow an extra day or two for processing when ordering Tung oil finish.

Includes: 1 Firewood 6 vaporizer, 2 pipe cleaners, 2 alcohol pads (for cleaning parts), extra screens, extra orings, and manual.

Not Included (required for use):
Battery
hg2_compact.jpg

Charger

The battery MUST be an 18650 cell rated for at least 20 Amps of continuous discharge current. The charger MUST be intended for 18650 cells and must include circuit protections to prevent over-charging and over-discharging

flammy

Hi all! As a follow up, I’ve spent the past two days using the FW6 exclusively. I have gone through countless bowls and 4 batteries. For reference, I have a FW5 but have not had the pleasure of trying the prior iterations. I am huge fan of the FW5 but felt it had minor nits that prevented me from using it regularly. However, it was still a favored OTG option. I purchased the FW6 to serve as my primary OTG vape.

I will first discuss build quality. I purchased a Tung Oiled Walnut (only Walnuts are currently available). In short, Marc knocked it out of the park with the build. I love the look of the walnut used for my unit and the finish is nice and smooth. The woodwork is nice. No tears around the cut edges. Overall, I am really impressed with the ingenuity and design of this vape. Simple but effective. It seems as if Marc really understood where the FW5 could benefit from further design improvements and then implemented them in the FW6. The FW6 is essentially a better FW5 and some rather big changes were made.

First, the FW6 replaces the FW5’s ceramic tray and 5 integrated bowls with one larger bowl and onboard storage chamber with and integrated pick/tamp tool . The design of the bowl itself has changed as well. The diameter at the top of the bowl is same as prior but it then tapers into a smaller diameter at the screen end. Additionally, the bowl itself is more uniformly circular while the FW5 almost had a star-like appearance due to the way they were cut. The bowl is now also roughly 30% deeper than that of the FW5. The deeper bowl not only affects the performance due to the size of the load it can now handle, but it makes for easier stirring (uniformly rounded bowl does as well and I will cover stirring later). The larger bowl also makes loading easier since it helps in preventing the material from unintentionally spilling out of bowl. The larger and more circular bowl design is a subtle but very welcome change.

Another big change is the onboard storage chamber. This is simply genius and I’m really not sure how this is the first vape to have this feature. I used the FW6 and its storage chamber while out and about yesterday and found it to be very useful. I no longer need a separate stash container. It’s not just a gimmick. It’s very functional and deceptively large. You can fit more than enough for one person’s reasonable consumption from wake to sleep. I can put about 1.5 g in the chamber relatively fluffy. You can cram a little over 2 if you tamped down more. You will need a fresh battery before you can use all of the herb stored in that chamber.

The chamber’s lid doubles as a stir/tamp tool. This really completes the OTG package and makes loading/unloading bowls hassle free. I simply scrape material into the chamber and push into the bowl with the flat end of the tool. I then use the tamp end of tool (shaped in half circle and fits perfectly in the bowl itself) to lightly tamp down load. The tool is also shaped in a way that makes removing the material from the back of the chamber practical. It also makes unloading the bowl much easier. The process isn’t quite as easy as the FW5 as you do lack access to the bottom of the bowl (via a screen) which means that you can no longer just blow through the back of the bowl for easy OTG unloading. That said, the process on the FW6 isn’t that bad. I first use the stir tool to loosen the load by stirring. I then cover the chamber with the tool, invert FW6 to dump out and blow into the bowl to get some of the remaining smaller loose ABV out. Maintenance will require using a brush (I use S&B) to clear screen every once in a while. This said, the bowl itself is easily removable from the FW6 by pushing the flat end of the stir tool through a slit in the wood behind the bowl. Once the bowl is removed, you can fully clean the bowl and screen.

The tool/chamber cover itself l is easily removable for use and does slide back into position rather easily. To make sliding the tool back into the FW6 easier, I recommend loading so that the bowl end is facing you. This way, the grooves that the tool is designed to slide into is still easily visible when attempting to place tool back into its resting position in the FW6. It's easy to do but does take some coordination. At first glance I did feel like the tool/tamp tool might be problematic from a durability standpoint but only time will tell. It is a thinner and more vulnerable piece of wood and should also expect heavy usage. I can also be clumsy (and forgetful) so I ordered a spare with my FW6. I do feel like it could make sense to consider fabricating this particular part with a 3D printer. Not only will that make it more durable (stir tools can benefit from durability) but it also could cut down overall production time. This all said, the great thing about the chamber/tool feature is that its not necessary to the actual use of the device. If you wanted to never use the chamber and associated tool, you could simply carry a stash case of some sort and load as you would any other bowl. This said, IMO it’s truly a useful added feature but even without, the FW6 is still good enough to consider.

The next big change to the FW6 is the clam shell design. The two separate sides are kept together and in position with a slider mechanism. This slider has 3 positions. First position locks the unit prevents the two sides from opening or compressing. This essentially disables the ability to engage the heater and is considered the off position. Second allows for the heater to be engaged is considered the on position. The third position allows for top and bottom of the clam shell to come apart but the heater will not engage in this position. Opening the two sides will expose the battery/heater on one side and the bowl, onboard chamber on the other. When loading/reloading, simply hold the two pieces together side by side (two pieces parallel to each other as shown in second pic below) in one hand and use the other to load the bowl. Very sturdy and effective way to load/reload OTG or otherwise.

The slider mechanism used to select the different operating modes is a really nice and simple feature. From the start, the slider was easy for me to move and use. It locks into place without question and I am able to move the slider with one finger and without exerting much force. However, the tension is perfect for keeping the slider in place. One thing to note is that you will need to hold the FW6 in a way so that the two sides are not being squeezed together when attempting to move the slider. When the two sides are compressed, pressure is placed on the slider and prevents it from moving. The slider mechanism seems to be very sturdy and I do not foresee any long-term durability issues.

The stem is also improved. It has a slightly larger OD and ID (but approx. same length and thickness) compared to the the FW5. This provides for a larger airpath and improved draw resistance. This design change makes sense in light of the larger bowl. Furthermore, this stem is now fully retractable (hidden when not in use) and can be retracted or pushed out one-handed due to a thoughtful cutout placed at the stem’s end. I found the FW5’s stem to be too easy to pull out from the desired position at times and the FW6’s stem is now much snugger and rests with more confidence in its in-use position. Overall, the way that the stem has been improved in size, fit and ability to access.

Finally, the form factor. The FW6 has very simple lines and I love it because it is so inconspicuous especially when the stem is fully retracted. It can be left out on a table in public and most people wouldn’t think twice about what it is. The overall size and footprint of this unit is absolutely amazing as well. Considering that the FW5 stem is not retractable, the overall foorprint of the FW6 is smaller than the FW5 and is comparable to a regular-sized Dynastash albeit slightly shorter. That is just amazing for OTG use. As with the FW5, the stem and bowl (along with associated screen) can be removed from the unit itself. However, I am unsure if the heater can be removed and not motivated to gamble on a try (sorry folks).

IMO its not one particular design change but the collection of these small changes that has really improved upon the ease of use of this vape especially in OTG applications. With one hand, I can slide the slide, expose the mouthpiece and engage the fire button. Loading and reloading of the FW6 can be done with just your two hands and without the aid of a hard surface. Perfect for OTG use and just a really well thought out design overall.

flammy

[Reached Character Limit...had to double post]

As with the FW5, the FW6 lacks a digital display and uses haptic feedback allows for the smaller form factor and overall is a really neat concept. Everything (engaging heater, changing and checking settings) is done through the fire button which is actuated by pressing the two sides together. It appears that there is a spring mech of some sort behind the heater and when compressed, it completes the circuit and allows power to be sent to the heater. That said, the easiest way to actuate or engage the heater is to hold the FW6 towards heater end of the FW6 when pressing together and grip like a joystick. The use of a grip style fire button now allows easier use with gloves since fat fingers only really affect buttons. Firing the FW6 and changing between temp settings is pretty easily done and its very convenient to check current temp settings and battery power levels.

The ability to preset the heater temps to 3 separate settings is very helpful and a huge improvement over the FW5. This ability essentially makes this a much more refined regulated vape but without an app or display to read. Heater can be set in 10 degree (F) ranges that start at 250F (e.g., 250-260, 270-280, 400-410, etc.) I would however recommend changing these settings as the default for 2 clicks isn’t very useful IMO since its 300-310F. IMO I feel like the default temp setting should be adjusted so that users can have 3 immediately useful settings to go to. I would recommend something similar to my current temp settings:

2 clicks: 370-380

3 clicks: 400-410

4 clicks: 440-450

That said, Changing the temp settings per the included instructions is a little confusing and it can be difficult at times for the FW6 to register the 7 consecutive clicks needed as a part of the process as well. Use the FW5's ability to give temp setting via haptic feedback as a tool during this process (6 clicks). That said, temp setting should be set once and should be no need to touch again. IMO one of the settings should be the max of 440-450 and then pick two others that might suit your style. The max is there for a reason and I think you should make it available for use. I would think 370 would be as low as most people would want to go but YMMV.

I do tamp down each load lightly with the included stir/tamp tool. I tamp just enough to prevent the load from falling out if the unit is inverted. The resulting load size for me has varied from 25% to 50% of chamber. This can still be an effective micro doser. It can be difficult to combust unless you draw a very long time and the bud is already near spent. The ABV produced can come out dark when taken all the way to the end on max temp. I feel like the slightly larger stem diameter has improved draw resistance on the FW6 as compared to the FW5 as well and makes it easier to get a satisfying hit.

When it comes to overall experience, you should expect similar to the FW5. It does not provide the type of power that a Splinter or Tubo can. However, that was not remotely within my expectations and wouldn’t be realistic given the size of the unit. The heater does seem to be more powerful at the top end of the temp range resulting in larger clouds vs. the FW5 at max heater setting. I do feel that the larger bowl plays a role in this as well since the load itself can now be bigger. The flavor is still very much top notch. Same terpy hits that you can get out of the FW5. I will not keep a vape in my collection if its not capable of producing good flavor and this is very tops on my list of good flavor producers. If you have the FW5, you know what I’m talking about. First hit is lip smacking good.

With the FW5, I consistently found that there was a little bit of green around the edges of the bowl which necessitated stirring to get all of the goodness out of the load. With the FW6 however, stirring is pretty much unnecessary as extraction is much more even and uniform throughout the load. You won’t see specs of green around the edges anymore. I suspect the tapered and deeper bowl design might have something to do with this improvement. But with all convection vapes, stirring can eek out one last hit if you so desire.

My technique with the FW6 is pretty much the same as it is with the FW5. I engage the heater and allow for a 3 second warm up after the buzz (not after pressing the button). I then do 3-4 quick cigar puffs to help bring some heat into the load. This is all done within 5 or so seconds so very quick puffs here. After this, I reload my lung capacity and take it for a steady 10-15 second draw. Draw speed is normal breathing rate otherwise you overpower heater and get the warning buzz. I can achieve visible vapor on my first draw at the 370-380F setting and larger with subsequent hits. Not much different than the FW5. At the highest setting 440-450F range, I can get a rather large cloud that can send me coughing. Its still not quite as dense as what a Splinter/Tubo can accomplish but it should satisfy all but maybe the most intense of cloud chasers especially for OTG use. As compared to the FW5, I am getting bigger clouds at highest temp setting with the FW6. I use 400-410 at home and 440-450 OTG. Depending on size of bowl (400-410F), I can usually get 5-6 decent hits off each one (keep in mind I never went beyond 50% full when tamped). Battery Life on the FW6 is also pretty impressive. I am able to get 4-6 50% loaded bowls before switching batteries. I don’t let the battery go past 2 buzzes on battery meter.

Overall performance is definitely better than the FW5. This is most likely due to the bigger bowl, larger diameter stem and seemingly a more powerful heater (although I can't confirm). It's just easier to get clouds with the FW6 than it was with the FW5. I'm beyond pleased with performance.

Overall, the FW6 is an extremely capable portable device. Thiis vape has quite a few distinctive features. It’s pocketable, reasonably powerful, efficient, flavorful, uses hot swappable batteries, regulated temp, battery/temp meter and onboard storage chamber. On top of this, it’s handmade from beautiful wood. It's affordable to boot and ~10% less than the FW5.

Based on the overall progression of the Firewood line, I was pretty certain that this was going to be a great OTG option. I am super happy to have one right now and it competes for my top OTG option (or comes in very close second). I can also see myself using this in home as well while I didn’t do that with my FW5. This isn’t perfect and I’ve mentioned some minor nits but the hype is real. If you like the FW5, I can’t see how you wouldn’t love the FW6. I have already let Marc know that I want an exotic version as well if he chooses to produce one. Sorry for this novel and I really hope this its helpful to some.

Also, I can not take pics of the FW6's internal at the moment as it has now been used. If I can find the time to clean, I can do so but it most likely won’t happen until next weekend at earliest. Maybe someone else can help with that? That said, Payton's video showed quite a bit of the internals. I am also quoting @firewood 's earlier post showing internal pic for reference.

TL;DR: FW6 is an improved FW5 in almost every way. It is one the very best on-the-go options available right now.

Firewood 6 pictures!

fw6 next to a fw5c and fw5s:
rcyiz71y3ab31.png

Opened up:
0bzsdqjr4ab31.png

Retractable mouthpiece:
sjljque25ab31.png

Loading:
d8a6ixlf5ab31.png

Tamping:
w9s8bgjn5ab31.png

Tool/Lid back in place and ready to go:
d6ehlkbw5ab31.png

Last edited:

rvarick

[Reached Character Limit...had to double post]

As with the FW5, the FW6 lacks a digital display and uses haptic feedback allows for the smaller form factor and overall is a really neat concept. Everything (engaging heater, changing and checking settings) is done through the fire button which is actuated by pressing the two sides together. It appears that there is a spring mech of some sort behind the heater and when compressed, it completes the circuit and allows power to be sent to the heater. That said, the easiest way to actuate or engage the heater is to hold the FW6 towards heater end of the FW6 when pressing together and grip like a joystick. The use of a grip style fire button now allows easier use with gloves since fat fingers only really affect buttons. Firing the FW6 and changing between temp settings is pretty easily done and its very convenient to check current temp settings and battery power levels.

The ability to preset the heater temps to 3 separate settings is very helpful and a huge improvement over the FW5. This ability essentially makes this a much more refined regulated vape but without an app or display to read. Heater can be set in 10 degree (F) ranges that start at 250F (e.g., 250-260, 270-280, 400-410, etc.) I would however recommend changing these settings as the default for 2 clicks isn’t very useful IMO since its 300-310F. IMO I feel like the default temp setting should be adjusted so that users can have 3 immediately useful settings to go to. I would recommend something similar to my current temp settings:

2 clicks: 370-380

3 clicks: 400-410

4 clicks: 440-450

That said, Changing the temp settings per the included instructions is a little confusing and it can be difficult at times for the FW6 to register the 7 consecutive clicks needed as a part of the process as well. Use the FW5's ability to give temp setting via haptic feedback as a tool during this process (6 clicks). That said, temp setting should be set once and should be no need to touch again. IMO one of the settings should be the max of 440-450 and then pick two others that might suit your style. The max is there for a reason and I think you should make it available for use. I would think 370 would be as low as most people would want to go but YMMV.

I do tamp down each load lightly with the included stir/tamp tool. I tamp just enough to prevent the load from falling out if the unit is inverted. The resulting load size for me has varied from 25% to 50% of chamber. This can still be an effective micro doser. It can be difficult to combust unless you draw a very long time and the bud is already near spent. The ABV produced can come out dark when taken all the way to the end on max temp. I feel like the slightly larger stem diameter has improved draw resistance on the FW6 as compared to the FW5 as well and makes it easier to get a satisfying hit.

When it comes to overall experience, you should expect similar to the FW5. It does not provide the type of power that a Splinter or Tubo can. However, that was not remotely within my expectations and wouldn’t be realistic given the size of the unit. The heater does seem to be more powerful at the top end of the temp range resulting in larger clouds vs. the FW5 at max heater setting. I do feel that the larger bowl plays a role in this as well since the load itself can now be bigger. The flavor is still very much top notch. Same terpy hits that you can get out of the FW5. I will not keep a vape in my collection if its not capable of producing good flavor and this is very tops on my list of good flavor producers. If you have the FW5, you know what I’m talking about. First hit is lip smacking good.

With the FW5, I consistently found that there was a little bit of green around the edges of the bowl which necessitated stirring to get all of the goodness out of the load. With the FW6 however, stirring is pretty much unnecessary as extraction is much more even and uniform throughout the load. You won’t see specs of green around the edges anymore. I suspect the tapered and deeper bowl design might have something to do with this improvement. But with all convection vapes, stirring can eek out one last hit if you so desire.

My technique with the FW6 is pretty much the same as it is with the FW5. I engage the heater and allow for a 3 second warm up after the buzz (not after pressing the button). I then do 3-4 quick cigar puffs to help bring some heat into the load. This is all done within 5 or so seconds so very quick puffs here. After this, I reload my lung capacity and take it for a steady 10-15 second draw. Draw speed is normal breathing rate otherwise you overpower heater and get the warning buzz. I can achieve visible vapor on my first draw at the 370-380F setting albeit smaller with larger subsequent hits. Not much different than the FW5. At the highest setting 440-450F range, I can get a rather large cloud that can send me coughing. Its still not quite as dense as what a Splinter/Tubo can accomplish but it should satisfy all but maybe the most intense of cloud chasers especially for OTG use. As compared to the FW5, I am getting bigger clouds at highest temp setting with the FW6. I use 400-410 at home and 440-450 OTG. Depending on size of bowl (400-410F), I can usually get 4 decent hits off each one (keep in mind I never went beyond 50% full when tamped). Battery Life on the FW6 is also pretty impressive. I am able to get 4-5 50% loaded bowls before switching batteries. I don’t let the battery go past 2 buzzes on battery meter.

Overall, the FW6 is an extremely capable portable device. Thiis vape has quite a few distinctive features. It’s pocketable, reasonably powerful, efficient, flavorful, uses hot swappable batteries, regulated temp, battery/temp meter and onboard storage chamber. On top of this, it’s handmade from beautiful wood. It's affordable to boot and ~10% less than the FW5.

Based on the overall progression of the Firewood line, I was pretty certain that this was going to be a great OTG option. I am super happy to have one right now and it competes for my top OTG option (or comes in very close second). I can also see myself using this in home as well while I didn’t do that with my FW5. This isn’t perfect and I’ve mentioned some minor nits but the hype is real. If you like the FW5, I can’t see how you wouldn’t love the FW6. I have already let Marc know that I want an exotic version as well if he chooses to produce one. Sorry for this novel and I really hope this its helpful to some.

Also, I can not take pics of the FW6's internal at the moment as it has now been used. If I can find the time to clean, I can do so but it most likely won’t happen until next weekend at earliest. Maybe someone else can help with that? That said, Payton's video showed quite a bit of the internals. I am also quoting @firewood 's earlier post showing internal pic for reference.

TL;DR: FW6 is an improved FW5 in almost every way. It is one the very best on-the-go options available right now.
This a great review and primer for the FW6! The waiting for warm-up, and cigar puff tips you provided solved this vape for me. It’s a consistent little ripper now!

NOLOGO

I've found there's no need to check what level it's set at. I just set it to where I want it to be if I can't remember what I left it set on last time ;)

Top Bottom