FC Moore's Law.

Qbit

cannabanana
Out of curiosity, I've been keeping notes on the FC member/thread/post count shown at the bottom of the home page. Mind you I've only been recording once every couple of weeks to a month, as the change isn't very interesting over short periods of time.

But I've been doing this for just over 17 months now (my first entry was 21st Sept 2010) and the stats at that time were: 3788 members; 2681 threads; 87080 posts. Now at the time I write this the front page says that there are 7739 members, 5300 threads and 193337 posts.

So that means that FC has been more than obeying Moore's Law, as it has taken less than 18 months to double. Going by the increase in membership, it's a growth rate of 4.2% a month, or 64% per annum.

However it occurred to me that there would be seasonal variations in registration numbers, so I just checked my archive back to around this time last year (21st Feb) when there were 5089 members, making the increase over the last year 51% (or an average of 3.5% per month). But at that rate the membership count still doubles every 20 months. I believe the generally accepted Moore's Law doubling time is 18 to 24 months, so FC qualifies.

Anyway, at this rate, in 5 years FC will have some 62,000 members. In 10 years it will be 495,000. In 20 years, there will be 31 million members. In 30, 2.2 billion.

So by the middle of the century, we can expect every person on the planet to be an FC member. Mwahaha! Power! POWER!

2392788.jpg

PS yeah I've probably wasted my time noting the forum stats, and I'm sure there's some feature at Google that could mine the historical information and present me with a full-colour graphical representation of the change in the stats over time, but it has only taken me a few seconds once or twice a month, so it's hardly a big deal.

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
So by the middle of the century, we can expect every person on the planet to be an FC member.

That's, of course, assuming that Moore's Law doesn't apply to population growth. ;)

lwien,

Qbit

cannabanana
lwien said:
Qbit said:
So by the middle of the century, we can expect every person on the planet to be an FC member.

That's, of course, assuming that Moore's Law doesn't apply to population growth. ;)

The population doubling every 18 to 24 months? I think it's safe to assume that would be a tough call. Even if every fertile woman on Earth were to repeat this every nine months:

nadya-suleman.jpg

No, by the middle of the century, the world population might reach 10 or 11 billion, but so will FC at the current rate of growth (by around 2048, actually).

Qbit,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
That bitch actually lives down the street from me. As if my home value wasn't going down fast enough. :|

Stu,
Top Bottom