FC Member GROUP BUY: USPlastics Silicone Tubing for PD usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
ok ill bite...lets make this an experiment tho :brow:

2 foots worth of 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tygon silicone ~$6.54

4 foots worth of 3/8" ID 1/2" OD Silcon Silicone Tubing ~$3.68
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...=usplastic&category_name=7511&product_id=8415

3 foots worth of 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD.Silcon Silicone Tubing (same brand as above) ~$2.19

grand total is $12.41 so lets say $15 even shipped to Colorado :shrug: I'm not sure so ill PM you with paypal info n such

Tubing is priced per foot; sold in 10' intervals only.
....WAIT so this means I can only buy 10 feet of a certain kind of tubing? ohh i hope other people are buying E tubing....im sure 10 feet of tygon silicone is already called for.

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hey i ordered the plastic tubing yesterday from mcmaster and just got it!
2 feet is just about right and the fit is perfect.
i'll play around with it tonight but one of the things i noticed off the bat is that it makes the PD almost hands free. nice....

jeffp,

digglover

I'll go in for 2 feet of E tubing too haha...

So that puts me down for 2 feet of E tubing and 2 of PD tubing.

digglover,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
OK I tried it out last night and I'm a little iffy about it.
Yes, the PD vapor is slightly cooler and I like the fact that it renders the vape hands free assuming you're lying on your back and the vape is resting below your chest.
The two things I didn't enjoy about it is
*the draw is a little tighter.
*worse, once you get baked it's a pain in the ass to twist out the hose from the tube so you can blow the duff out (you need a certain amount of force to blow out the duff and the tube restricts that) and then twist it back in after it's reloaded.
So in the end I forgot about the hose and returned to my self medicating routine as was.

I'm glad I bought the tubing, it was a cheap experiment, maybe you guys will like it more than me. I prefer the PD straight and if the vapor is too hot you can always just open the side of your mouth while drawing in.

Jeff

jeffp,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
digglover said:

ok so henny told me he wants 3-4 feet and you want 2. i want 5 ft so now we just need to figure out who's gonna buy it and ship.

illadelph,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
illadelph said:
digglover said:

ok so henny told me he wants 3-4 feet and you want 2. i want 5 ft so now we just need to figure out who's gonna buy it and ship.
Hey great chatting last night. After which I used the tubing again and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Blowing out the duff is not an issue, the vapor is a bit cooler and the best side benefit to me is that the PD becomes hands free, which is nice. And yes, this tubing is far superior to the tubing that came with the SSV.

Very brilliant idea.

jeffp,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
still looking into getting some extreme sized tubing if anyone wants some. i just need some confirmations to go ahead and order.

illadelph,

ILoveRadiohead!

Hennessy1414 said:
X2 on that one..... :/

where you at ILRH :uhoh:

:peace:
Oh sorry, I posted this awhile back and I guess not everyone saw it. Turns out you can get 2 feet of PD sized high purity silicon tubing the same type stuff as the Tygon branded from mcmaster carr and it would be about the same price (actually probably a tiny bit cheaper) as someone ordering 10 feet from usplastics dividing it up and shipping it out.

Here is the post...

ILoveRadiohead! said:
I haven't checked out the shipping costs for Mcmaster.com but I imagine this might be close to the same as splitting an order from USPlastics. I'll check on the shipping amounts for 2 feet of tubing and if they are outrageous I can still go through with the original group buy plans. If not this might be an easier faster option for everyone interested...especially if you wanted different types of tubing.

Here's the link to the appropriate size and type tubing for PD use

http://www.mcmaster.com/#51845k59/=1utpb7

It's a bit more expensive than USPlastics at $5.62 but again they do sell it in 2 foot lengths which is about how much everyone wanted.

edit: I just called and shipping costs for 2 feet of tubing were less than $5 so they are definitely not overcharging on shipping.
I think it would end up being about $15 for 2 feet shipped.

ILoveRadiohead!,

owin

Cool just ordered some. Thanks for the link. Not sure if I'll use it much but I like the option.

owin,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
What would be the appropriate size for a standard whip based vape like the Vapor Warez, etc.?

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
1/4" ID, 3/8" OD

SSV/DBV size - 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD (this size will probably work for most whip vapes)

1//16" wall for both.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hmmm - don't see these exact diameters on the McMaster-Carr page.... thanks for the info though.

jeffp,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
i had success ordering from usplastics and they sent me a coupon for free shipping.

illadelph,

vap999

Everyone seems to be ignoring Teflon (PTFE) tubing. Any reason for this?

Other than generally costing more than silicone tubing, virgin PTFE/Teflon seems to offer some advantages for vaporizer use. It is much smoother (more sanitary and cleanable) and unlike silicone, dirt will not stick to it, and thin tubing may be more or comparably translucent/transparent. Virgin (pure, non-recycled) PTFE is essentially absolutely inert/nontoxic, tasteless and is food grade or better (e.g., used in chem. lab. and pharmaceutical applications); and as shown at the CleanAir site, is the preferred tubing for chemical gas analysis, including vs. silicone tubing. About the only thing PTFE lacks that silicone offers is extreme flexibility, but thin tubing should more than flexible enough.

PTFE is more temperature-stable than silicone, with PTFE often cited as providing somewhat higher constant service temperatures (with this upper limit due to softening, not degradation), and being able to withstand temperatures over 1000?F before chemically degrading. While silicones start to chemically degrade above 500?F, PTFE only starts to soften above 500?F, while still probably providing comparable or more structural strength than heated soft silicone (with these temperatures unlikely to ever be encountered in normal vaporizer use).

As far as the much hyped health hazards from Teflon/PTFE putting particles into the air (essentially vaporizing), this does not occur until well above 600?F, with many sources citing much higher temperatures, such as above 800?F (temperatures which can readily obtained by exposure to flame or direct contact with red-hot electrical heating elements). But even 600?F is several 100 degrees or more hotter than ever likely to be encountered in vaporizer use. On balance, with PTFE chemically stabler, smoother, more sanitary, etc., it is probably is even safer for vaporizer use than silicone (which poses no hazards at normal vaporizer temperatures).

Does anyone have any negative experience using PTFE/Teflon tubing for vaporizer applications? Does anyone see any potential downsides to use of PTFE/Tefon? Or am I simply off-base and there are good reasons not to use PTFE/Teflon?

[Note, although I have been exclusively vaporizing since 1994, I have no personal experience using tubing with vaporizers, other the the Magic Flight Launch Box. In the past, I have used Teflon tape (plumbing grade) to wrap around the connections of heating elements (resistors) in vaporizers I have built; with the tape surviving intact after months of use -- it didn't noticeably vaporize, despite being thin and right at the heat source].

vap999,

vap999

jeffp said:
What about latex?.
High purity, non-toxic latex (natural rubber) is probably going to melt or at least lose its shape at temperatures likely to be encountered with vaporizers. I would presume that natural rubber products that can withstand vaporization temperatures contains additives, including toxic vulcanization compounds and/or fibrous or other particulate fillers, and should be avoided.

vap999,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
usplastics free shipping code= Use Promotion Code 57590* in space provided in step two of the checkout process.

illadelph,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
57590, unfortunately, didn't activate a discount.... thanks anyway.

jeffp,

DJDIZZY

I bought some from mcmaster.com. I add about 2-3" to the stem length on my MZ. Allows me to draw deep without the heat.

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right, a bunch of us got the same size tubing for our PDs from McMaster, and it's nice, no question. Also makes the our vapes hands free. A nice option if you're in the mood.
Unfortunately McMaster doesn't seem to carry the standard 1/4" 38" 1/16th" dimensions for whip vapes like the VW and the coupon code for US Plastics is expired...
(plus that size is not currently in stock.)
Another site that I saw that does carry that dimension has a minimum order of $50.
I'll wait it out til the next coupon from US Plastics becomes available, otherwise I'd end up paying $20 for a $10 purchase.

jeffp,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom