favorite overlooked guitar genius...

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
how could bob weir's guitar playing not be overlooked while in a band with jerry garcia? i've never seen bobby on the cover of a guitar mag. he is most certainly overlooked for his playing.

SSS,
Reactions: grokit

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think thats all grindcore is, technique, no soul, no creativity. Now I am not saying that is a bad thing. Having technique has it's strong points...

DevoTheStrange,

SSS

mick barr from krallice, ocrilim and others.

SSS,

SSS

DevoTheStrange said:
I think thats all grindcore is, technique, no soul, no creativity.
although i'm not much of a grindcore fan i'd have to disagree. there is certainly quite a bit of creativity in the music and as far as soul....what works for some may not work for some others.

SSS,

the electrician

wahts wrong with technicality? it seems to me that everyones too lazy to take the time to sit down and actually listen to the songs instead of instantly dismissing them because its not the normal approach to song writing. i have no idea how youre gonna support the no creativity remark. i watched the video you posted and ive heard more creative things on the view.

solos are what require no soul or creativity, anyone can stand there and play something stupid (the likes of which has been played a thousand times before) while the rest of the band plods along getting bored sick of your unimaginative antics

the electrician,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Oh I like grindcore. I listen to, and hear it, at work. There is creativity in it, but not enough for me to label anyone in that genre as a guitar genius.
Being technical does not mean you are a genius. Being technical mean you were an observant learner.
For me being a genius mean you can step beyond being technical. If you want to talk about a mixing of both genius and technical, look at Prince.

DevoTheStrange,

the electrician

psyopus are a mathcore band, not a grind band. mathcore comes out with unparalleled guitar ability

DevoTheStrange said:
Being technical does not mean you are a genius. Being technical mean you were an observant learner. For me being a genius mean you can step beyond being technical. If you want to talk about a mixing of both genius and technical, look at Prince.
a mix of genius and technical requires a look at avant garde, or avant grind if thats your style

secret chiefs 3, mr bungle, estradasphere, orange tulip conspiracy and all those other bands that involve the same basic 10 or 20 people are where the genius lives. then theres stand before the firing squad who perfectly blend tech grind with avant garde to give a rather interesting new collection of sound. of course none of it is really guitar centric so its a topic for another day

the electrician,

SSS

another overlooked guitar great...

agata from melt banana.

SSS,

the electrician

SSS said:

agata from melt banana.
haha BINGO, melt banana are hilarious. i only ever owned cell scape but i bloody well enjoyed it, left the cd in another country though so its been a while since ive heard them. ahhh japanese pop indeed

the electrician,

SSS

the electrician said:
SSS said:

agata from melt banana.
haha BINGO, melt banana are hilarious. i only ever owned cell scape but i bloody well enjoyed it, left the cd in another country though so its been a while since ive heard them. ahhh japanese pop indeed
i saw them live without knowing a single song. incredible band. got a pic with the two chicks too!

SSS,

SSS

chucku said:
Steve Morse (formerly of the Dixie Dregs, now with Deep Purple).
went to one of his guitar clinics years ago. phenomenal.

SSS,

flanman

dunno if i'd call him a genius but one of my favorite overlooked players is travis meeks

flanman,

reece

chucku said:
Keller Williams is also pretty darn good but playing along with sampled rhythms is just parlor tricks. I would like to see what he can do interacting with other musicians.
I've tried but I can't get into Keller Williams. But he does play with other musicians. Check out Keller Williams Incident.

reece,

Purple-Days

Not exactly overlooked...

Mara Rosario Pilar Martnez Molina Moquiere de les Esperades Santa Ana Romanguera y de la Najosa Rasten

"cuchi-cuchi"

:clap:

Purple-Days,

chucku

Charles Urbane
the electrician said:
wahts wrong with technicality? it seems to me that everyones too lazy to take the time to sit down and actually listen to the songs instead of instantly dismissing them because its not the normal approach to song writing. i have no idea how youre gonna support the no creativity remark. i watched the video you posted and ive heard more creative things on the view.

solos are what require no soul or creativity, anyone can stand there and play something stupid (the likes of which has been played a thousand times before) while the rest of the band plods along getting bored sick of your unimaginative antics
Check out live versions of GD playing New Potato Caboose, Terrapin, Dark Star or St. Stephen-The Eleven. The entire band is jamming their asses off. No one is along for the ride.

chucku,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
But when I start seeing names like, "Steve Howe or Steve Vai or Joe Satriani", or "Django Reinhardt", or "Bob Wier" we are hardly talking about overlooked.
I think it's a timing thing, Tom. I mean, how many people know of Django Reinhardt today? He's a great find, but I was only turned on to him about 15 years ago. Before then, I never heard of him. So to me, he was overlooked.

lwien,
Top Bottom