favorite overlooked guitar genius...

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i vote for steve cropper.

aljackson33.jpg

jeffp,

Plotinus

Nick Drake is a great choice, except that I'm not sure he's 'overlooked'. Anyone who knows him knows he's a great player. As for the rest, I don't recognize any of them. I'd say they were before my time, but judging by the pictures they were before everyone here's time, technically.

Plotinus,
Reactions: FUnhouse

chucku

Charles Urbane
Do not forget about Lou Reed. John Lennon also considered Bob Weir the greatest rhythm guitar player who ever lived.

chucku,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
chucku said:
John Lennon also considered Bob Weir the greatest rhythm guitar player who ever lived.
he's certainly in the running. when jerry was off in junkie land and phil was working on killing liver number five the only thing that made the band work was bob weir.

SSS,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Zoot Horn Rollo.
Otherwise known as Bill Harkleroad.
He played guitar parts that are extremely difficult to master when he was part of the Magic Band.
How's that for obscure? ;)

MoeOnTheMoon,

chucku

Charles Urbane
DevoTheStrange said:
Jimmy McCulloch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRFiXktgvAI

Oh and I cannot forget Frank Zappa, he is often overlooked as a guitarist. I would say that he is Musically Insane as well as a Genius
Devo,

Calling FZ overlooked is like saying Jimi or Jerry or Carlos is overlooked. Otoh Martin Barre or Lowell George or Steve Howe or Steve Vai or Joe Satriani could be considered overlooked.

Btw is it possible way may have a certifiable legend amongst us? Could Derekt be the one and only Derek Trucks (ABB, a bit of a Kevin Bacon reach)? BTW Bob Weir also considered John Lennon to be the greatest rhythm guitar player who ever lived.

Keller Williams is also pretty darn good but playing along with sampled rhythms is just parlor tricks. I would like to see what he can do interacting with other musicians.

chucku,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
The only reason I am saying Frank Zappa is overlooked as a guitarist in that people look at him more as a composer and writer of music and hardly pay attention to his guitar playing. Everyone focus on his writing ability and his control over his band and musicians he worked with. There less focus on his guitar work in discussion I have read about him, or have heard. That is why I mentioned him.
Whenever I hear people talk about FZ I never hear anyone discuss his guitar work. More oft than not I just hear about the comical aspect of his music, or he is discussed in such a way that you think people were talking about a conductor of an orchestra, not a guitarist.

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

Just watched Frank do Black Napkins on a Fender twin with the Mike Douglas house band yesterday, Kenny Rogers wasn't so sure what to think or say, but Jimmy Walker was impressed, I believe. Yes, Frank was a guitarist, too. ;)

But when I start seeing names like, "Steve Howe or Steve Vai or Joe Satriani", or "Django Reinhardt", or "Bob Wier" we are hardly talking about overlooked.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom