FakeXhale Cloud (Unauthorized and Unsupported)

King

Accessory Maker
I might attempt this... I have a kiln and I'm decent at soldering.

I'd hate to break it though as its working for the moment :p.

Any recommendation for what temperature to kiln it at?

You want a solder that isn't going to liquefy at VXC temps. You'll probably be best off using silver (45%) solder which melts at about 1100 to 1200. Hot!

Will it works after it breaks? Or does the heater overheat and die once the connection fails?

Either way I'm down for free practice :p

I better start reading...

I'm willing to bet its going to be kaput, this is like playing a game of Operation.

Last edited:

MacRadish

Will it works after it breaks? Or does the heater overheat and die once the connection fails?

Either way I'm down for free practice :p

I better start reading...

From all appearances,,,,it gets fuckin hot and softens the solder and bam,,,,disconnect. Everything else is still intact and functional.

I'd hate to break it though as its working for the moment :p.

Any recommendation for what temperature to kiln it at?[/quote]

I would leave it,,,when it stops heating and *whatever* regarding warranty, then jack with it to revive.

Last edited by a moderator:
MacRadish,

King

Accessory Maker
From all appearances,,,,it gets fuckin hot and softens the solder and bam,,,,disconnect. Everything else is still intact and functional.

I'm under the impression that trying to run it with a disconnected lead will kill the heater. You may have some luck if you unplug the VXC (obvious first step, stay safe!), disconnect the lead, reinforce it, reattach it, then plug the unit in and run it.

I would leave it,,,when it stops heating and *whatever* regarding warranty, then jack with it to revive.

If it breaks while running, its done for good, no fixing without replacing the entire heating element.

Edit: I'm eager to see @OF chime in, he may have some valuable input.

Last edited:

MacRadish

I'm under the impression that trying to run it with a disconnected lead will kill the heater. You may have some luck if you unplug the VXC (obvious first step, stay safe!), disconnect the lead, reinforce it, reattach it, then plug the unit in and run it.

If it breaks while running, its done for good, no fixing without replacing the entire heating element.

Edit: I'm eager to see @OF chime in, he may have some valuable input.

I don't think that's true. The wire simply came off the heater. The heater, being nothing but a big glob of resistance, is still good and if the wire can be re-attached, you're good to go, again.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I remember there being some concern with where the power cord connects onto the inside of the Cloud. Maybe be careful how you treat your cords. Especially if you hold Cloud upside down into your glass pieces to use it. Make sure to support the cord.

I also can recall the "fit and finish" being an issue. Scuff marks on the black coated portions. And the aluminum(?) tops where the word "hot" is stamped, were often misaligned. Not the words but where the two pieces come together around the Gong. Any of these Clouds showing scuffs or misalignment?
If not, wondering if a "good" batch of these were just cast aside somewhere till now lol.

This is making the Evo wait a bit harder for me, since I recently sold my OG ticker(still working great) to a buddy in anticipation of the new model. Must...resist...E...bay...

edit:sepelling lol

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

MacRadish

Assuming nothing shorts out and no built-in fuses are tripped.

I guess the whole point here is that when the wire opens, not shorts out, IF it can be reattached the unit will work PROVIDING that live wire didn't zap the shit out the circuitry and what not.

The pics show a voltmeter connected to the disconnected wire and it's reading source voltage.

I still would not attempt to "fix" a working unit.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I have not read through the Cloud thread but has Monkey come in and stated what he thinks the problem could be?
AFAIK, no, unless I missed it, or forgot.

I think @MonsterWithoutBorders's input would be greatly appreciated here, with all of this discussion of what is causing Clouds to fail, how to fix the, etc...! IIRC they are knowledgable with some of the ins and outs of failed Clouds.

thesoloman

What about drilling into the contact plate on the heater, and inserting some type of post to connect the wire too? if mine dies i might have to try this. also IMO the heater should still work fine, as when the wire disconnects, the current will instantly stop flowing due to a broken circuit, reconnect and it should complete the circuit and keep working?

King

Accessory Maker
What about drilling into the contact plate on the heater, and inserting some type of post to connect the wire too? if mine dies i might have to try this. also IMO the heater should still work fine, as when the wire disconnects, the current will instantly stop flowing due to a broken circuit, reconnect and it should complete the circuit and keep working?

In an ideal world, yes. I've thought about drilling the contact pad too, this is probably going to come down to guess and check.

exit

I would love to hear from people who know what they're talking about regarding these things more but I will still plan to operate on mine myself. I got it today, ran it for about 2 hours to burn it off, but it shut off. I was scared but flipped the switch and it did its red/green thing again.... what a scare though!!!!!

I don't remember reading anything bout an auto off though. Am I just really stoned and did I miss it every time it came up or this is expected behavior?

King

Accessory Maker
I would love to hear from people who know what they're talking about regarding these things more but I will still plan to operate on mine myself. I got it today, ran it for about 2 hours to burn it off, but it shut off. I was scared but flipped the switch and it did its red/green thing again.... what a scare though!!!!!
I'll be taking preventative measures as well, it's just a matter of finding a graceful fix.

When you crack yours open would you mind taking lots of pictures of the entire process? It'll help us plan out a user-friendly fix (if one exists).

MacRadish

I don't remember reading anything bout an auto off though. Am I just really stoned and did I miss it every time it came up or this is expected behavior?

Sure, the folks who know have already posted in the Cloud thread. Being that these Clouds are running about 70 bucks (minus the 29.99 mouthpiece),,,nothing to lose except another $100 if the fix breaks it and it truly cannot be repaired. Good luck! I would like to read about a successful fix.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation

Alright, not going to lie...I kind of know what I'm talking about here :lol: ;) and if you had read my post on page 7, you would have read
I haven't set a timer to see if the auto shut off is at ~58 minutes, or closer to 90...but I did see it shut off automatically, and it totally does just "go lights out" with no pattern, etc. when the time is up, as @t-dub mentioned earlier!
It has been noted by other users, how long the timer is before the shut off kicks in, in here I believe, as well as other threads.

This has been mentioned a few times, here, and is a well known feature talked about in the other VXL threads. Not sure what you're holding out for...waiting for "people who know what they're talking about regarding these things more"?...unless you're referring to those who know more about the issues causing failure / repair of issues with these units...then I'm anxious to hear more too! I'm sure more knowledgeable members will chime in eventually. But, if you're waiting for people who know more about how the unit functions/performs, etc...you probably won't find a better resource of that kind of info than what is already posted all over this forum, in the VXL threads.

Not trying to be rude, but it's ridiculous to see people complain that threads are long, and at the same time have people make posts asking questions that have already been answered. There is a search feature, it works pretty darn well. Google, with some manipulation, will also become a search engine for FC. Between the two, you can usually find an answer quicker than someone will post back to you. :tup:

exit

I will read over an entire thread and think I did a good job but still miss the things I'm looking for somehow. Thank you, sometimes I need to be reminded I'm being a dumbass!

My teachers in school always had this complaint about me too! :lol:

I promise to take lots of good pictures of the repair process. Might make a video too since I have a webcam now as well.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I will read over an entire thread and think I did a good job but still miss the things I'm looking for somehow. Thank you, sometimes I need to be reminded I'm being a dumbass!

I promise to take lots of good pictures of the repair process. Might make a video too since I have a webcam now as well.
Not a dumbass :lol: but we all can be selective readers at times! I've been known to read a bit ignorantly at times, and post quickly, only to find out I had posted something quite useless lol

lwien

Not a dumbass :lol: but we all can be selective readers at times! I've been known to read a bit ignorantly at times, and post quickly, only to find out I had posted something quite useless lol

Hell, I post useless crap (like this post) without being ignorant or posting quickly although not being ignorant is totally subjective. :cool:

If there was ever a rule here stating, "No posting of useless crap", I woulda been gone ages ago.

walrus

I received my Cloud from this offer (paid $95) on Wednesday. Ordered Monday so super fast shipping for me. I have never used or seen a Cloud in person before and hadn't really even done a lot of reading about one because, normally, a vape like this is completely out of my price range. I figured this was my only chance to really try one so it was worth the risk to me.

Today was my first chance to really sit down with it. I started around the 12 o clock position, went green almost immediately but I let it heat for about 15 minutes before trying it. Loosely packed the elb (received only 1) about half way. Hit it through the included mouthpiece and through my medium sized water pipe. Got light, wispy vapor at this setting. After a few hits on each piece, the taste degraded some and I dumped the elb. The abv was evenly extracted a very light tan color but I never got much vapor and the effects were mild.

Turned it up to the 3 o clock position and waited about 10 minutes even though it again went green almost immediately. I packed the elb the same way and this time got much more visible vapor and good effects. I'd say it was about on par with an average hit on my Underdog, though the abv came out more even and a good bit darker than the 12 o clock abv.

Finally, I turned it all the way up and waited about 10 more minutes. Milked my bong nicely and gave very good effect. Pretty fully extracted abv. I wasn't too impressed with this device until going full power but the hits at this temp were cloudy and enjoyable.

The Cloud never got uncomfortably hot to touch until the end of my full power session. The very top silver part on my unit is slightly misaligned by about 1/16th of an inch or so.

My question to people experienced with this device is whether or not that sounds like it is operating normally. I've been reading of people getting lots of vapor at the noon position and that just isn't the case for me. Even at 3 o clock, I wasn't really blown away by the vapor production. Just wondering if there is a known difference in temperatures from unit to unit or model to model or if perhaps there is user error on my part or if I have an improperly functioning unit.

As I said, the vapor was thick and satisfying at full power so if this seems to be normal operation then I'm ok with it. I'm just wary of always operating it at full power in light of the issues with this vape.

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I received my Cloud from this offer (paid $95) on Wednesday. Ordered Monday so super fast shipping for me. I have never used or seen a Cloud in person before and hadn't really even done a lot of reading about one because, normally, a vape like this is completely out of my price range. I figured this was my only chance to really try one so it was worth the risk to me.

Today was my first chance to really sit down with it. I started around the 12 o clock position, went green almost immediately but I let it heat for about 15 minutes before trying it. Loosely packed the elb (received only 1) about half way. Hit it through the included mouthpiece and through my medium sized water pipe. Got light, wispy vapor at this setting. After a few hits on each piece, the taste degraded some and I dumped the elb. The abv was evenly extracted a very light tan color but I never got much vapor and the effects were mild.

Turned it up to the 3 o clock position and waited about 10 minutes even though it again went green almost immediately. I packed the elb the same way and this time got much more visible vapor and good effects. I'd say it was about on par with an average hit on my Underdog, though the abv came out more even and a good bit darker than the 12 o clock abv.

Finally, I turned it all the way up and waited about 10 more minutes. Milked my bong nicely and gave very good effect. Pretty fully extracted abv. I wasn't too impressed with this device until going full power but the hits at this temp were cloudy and enjoyable.

The Cloud never got uncomfortably hot to touch until the end of my full power session. The very top silver part on my unit is slightly misaligned by about 1/16th of an inch or so.

My question to people experienced with this device is whether or not that sounds like it is operating normally. I've been reading of people getting lots of vapor at the noon position and that just isn't the case for me. Even at 3 o clock, I wasn't really blown away by the vapor production. Just wondering if there is a known difference in temperatures from unit to unit or model to model or if perhaps there is user error on my part or if I have an improperly functioning unit.

As I said, the vapor was thick and satisfying at full power so if this seems to be normal operation then I'm ok with it. I'm just wary of always operating it at full power in light of the issues with this vape.

Try using it again, at around the 12pm setting, or as high as 1/2, but let it warm up for as long as 20-25 minutes...also, make sure your flowers are ground nicely...not powder, but not too chunky. You want a surface area and airflow...also, make sure they are dried very well! I'd pack an ELB about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Let us know what you think then?

If you're still getting the same results, I'd say your unit sounds like it's running a bit cold...IMO

Purpl3_Haz3,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

jeff

Dang ordered on Monday gets it on tuesday? I order tuesday and shipping says I am getting it next wednesday. He must not have liked my low ball offer.

Top Bottom